Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Thoughts on LeSean McCoy for 2010 and beyond

I see the positives and the negatives with McCoy. On the positive side, he has great vision and hits the hole quickly. On the negative side, he doesn't offer anything in the way of pass blocking (important in Reid's offense) and he seemed to go down quickly at times when hit last season.

Scouts Inc. made the comment when he was drafted last season that if McCoy had waited until this season to come out, he would easily have been the top RB on the board this year if you factor in his natural expected maturation.

So, where is he in your plans for 2010 and beyond? I own him in several leagues, but have owners attemtpting to trade for him now that Westy is gone. Is he going to replace Westy as a top ranked PPR Running Back, or is he a reach?

I see the positives and the negatives with McCoy. On the positive side, he has great vision and hits the hole quickly. On the negative side, he doesn't offer anything in the way of pass blocking (important in Reid's offense) and he seemed to go down quickly at times when hit last season.

Scouts Inc. made the comment when he was drafted last season that if McCoy had waited until this season to come out, he would easily have been the top RB on the board this year if you factor in his natural expected maturation.

So, where is he in your plans for 2010 and beyond? I own him in several leagues, but have owners attemtpting to trade for him now that Westy is gone. Is he going to replace Westy as a top ranked PPR Running Back, or is he a reach?

I'm extremely hopeful of the same thing, but Weaver, and the talk of bringing in another back scares me a bit. If McCoy can be even 80% of what Westbrook was in his prime, I'm sitting on a sick PPR combo of McCoy/Jamaal Charles/Shonn Green in my dynasty league. Blocking is something that takes time to learn, and a full training camp will help with that a lot. Philly has arguably the best skill position players they've had for McNabb with McCoy/Jackson/Maclin/Celek. I personally think McCoy can and will perform but I'm obviously a little biased.

I don't own McCoy in any of my leagues, but I wished I did. He just wasn't a value or available when I drafted in my two dynasty leagues last year. I think most are concerned about his pass blocking ability. True it is a weakness, but it is a weakness of most RB's that enter the league. I expect McCoy to be 110% better at pass protection in 2010.....and yes this means in a PPR I think he will be top 10 or close to top 10 in 2010 for RB's in PPR leagues. If owners in your dynasty league are down on him - acquire him NOW!! I would give up my 1.4 draft pick in the upcoming draft for McCoy. Hell I'd give up everyone up for McCoy in the upcoming draft at this point except for Spiller.

I have him in a 4 keeper league along with Turner, Schaub, SRice, Moss, SSmith(Nyg), Harrison. Thats who Ive cut it down to, waiting to see how the offseason plays out. (PPR)

His blocking will get better, and he'll lose some TDs to Bunkley/Weaver ... but as long as Andy Reid is the coach, he will but up respectable fantasy numbers. He is a quality #2 fantasy back in 2010 and get be a low end #1 in years to come

McCoy, who has had a full season in the Philadelphia offense and made four starts last season, will take over in the backfield according to head coach Andy Reid. "That's who's going to take the ball from here," Reid said of McCoy.

My gut says RBBC.

rumor of Sproles to Iggles as their 3rd down/passing sit back. just rumor for now.

IMHO - Next years Ray Rice candidate - Rookie comparison numbers

Ray Rice Rookie -

Rushing 2008 BAL Games - 13 Att -107 yds - 454 avg -4.2 Td- 0

Receiving 2008 BAL Games - 13 Rec - 33 yds - 273 avg - 8.3 td- 0

McCoy Rookie -

Rushing 2009 PHI Games - 16 Att -155 yds - 637 avg -4.1 td - 4

Receiving 2009 PHI Games - 16 Rec - 40 yds -308 avg -7.7 td-0

As of right now I am keeping him over Felix Jones (unless Barber or Choice get traded)

not good... look for Philly to add a big back like Gerhart. They used one to an extent last year with Heath Evans.

LeSean just isn't that good...too small.

why i have hope for McCoy...

Yes McCoy is small but everyone said that the same thing about Westbrook in 2002. Westbrook barely played in 2002 and then broke loose in a part time three headed monster with Buckhalter and Staley in 2003. McCoy is already light years ahead of Westbrook's career arc

If the kid picks up some pointers on better blocking then he will be okay...

I still think that he wont be a goal line guy but will be good for 2010 numbers of

1050 rush 7 scores

350 rec 2 scores

not good... look for Philly to add a big back like Gerhart. They used one to an extent last year with Heath Evans.

LeSean just isn't that good...too small.

McCoy - 5'10"/198

Westbrook - 5'10"/203

:pointstosky:

Um, that's pretty much the same damned size in my book, and McCoy will likely put on weight. I'm not seeing much difference.

McCoy - 5'10"/198

Westbrook - 5'10"/203

:wub:

Um, that's pretty much the same damned size in my book, and McCoy will likely put on weight. I'm not seeing much difference.

Agree and I believe McCoy is only 21.

I think McCoy will be a decent back, but not a top 10 rb. He has great upside but at this point they are looking for other running backs to sign. I don't think he will be the short yardage and goal line back. The Eagles are a passing team, and McNabb might not return, which further hinders his stats. In a ppr league I think he has more upside because he will be used out of the backfield as a wr. He might crack the top 15, but I wouldn't count on much more.

I for one don't trust the guy. What can I say?

In all those 155 touches last year, he had 1 run over 20 yards

In his 40 receptions last year, he had 2 that went over 20 yards

Broke 100 rushing yards in a game 0.0 times with all those chances

a total of 4 td's in 195 touches

he was dinged up a couple of times

meh, I'm not sold - - let somebody else draft him late 3rd or early 4th. He's all yours.

I definitely think he will be a top ten guy for the next few years.

Bumping 'cos I'm intrigued by this fellow and his ADP is all over the friggin place...

Considering taking him tomorrow if the price is right based on his availability in a ppr draft.

Looking at his production from games last year -- it seems that in games where he got a significant amount of touches, he did produce well ffb points wise.

Any homers have insight on how his pass blocking is coming along? I'm not buying into Weaver or Mike Bell taking significant (drive) carries away from McCoy -- Except I do recognize they may vulture in the redzone.

If his pass blocking has improved, I consider him a 3 down back, and given his ADP, he could be a steal, no?

I for one don't trust the guy. What can I say?

In all those 155 touches last year, he had 1 run over 20 yards

In his 40 receptions last year, he had 2 that went over 20 yards

Broke 100 rushing yards in a game 0.0 times with all those chances

a total of 4 td's in 195 touches

he was dinged up a couple of times

meh, I'm not sold - - let somebody else draft him late 3rd or early 4th. He's all yours.

meh.....that's the same way I feel.

Watching him play a couple times last year, and I was interested because I owned him, he didn't look very explosive or special at all to me. I didn't see anything that would lead me to think he's going to be special in any way.

Bumping 'cos I'm intrigued by this fellow and his ADP is all over the friggin place...

Considering taking him tomorrow if the price is right based on his availability in a ppr draft.

Looking at his production from games last year -- it seems that in games where he got a significant amount of touches, he did produce well ffb points wise.

Any homers have insight on how his pass blocking is coming along? I'm not buying into Weaver or Mike Bell taking significant (drive) carries away from McCoy -- Except I do recognize they may vulture in the redzone.

If his pass blocking has improved, I consider him a 3 down back, and given his ADP, he could be a steal, no?

Well, McCoy was probably the player that stood out most on offense during training camp. His pass catching has gotten better and he seemed to have improved as a more decisive runner between the tackles. His pass blocking is still a concern, but this is something that can only improve with more reps.

Last season, as a rookie, and giving away carries and receptions to Westbrook at times, McCoy still put up 945 total yards, 40 receptions, 4 TD's. If his carries increase to about 200 (a good guess in my opinion) at a similar 4 yards per carry as last year (it could go up some), he would rush for 800 yards. If his receptions go up to about 50 he could put up another 350-400 receiving yards. I can't predict his TD's will go up a ton (Bell, Weaver, Vick will all score near the goalline), but I'd say 6-7 TD's would be a fair guess for him. So 1200 yards, 50 catches, 6 TD's seems like a good base projection for him...that's over 200 fantasy points in a PPR league. That's a solid RB2 in PPR leagues, and probably a top 15 RB. In my opinion, his upside this season could be 1300 total yards, 60 catches, 8 TD's, and a top 10 PPR RB status.

I have faith in him in my ppr league as my 3rd keeper, enough so that I traded Turner for Andre

also should note I have the no 3 overall pick and I think ill be able to get a solid RB from that slot

My keeper picks are due on Tuesday, and I'm torn between keeping McCoy for a 5th rounder, Jennings for a 3rd rounder, or Vernon for a 17th rounder (.5 PPR). I can only keep 2...

In all honesty, I'm seriously thinking about throwing back McCoy. Can't say I've been all that impressed with him, and I consider both Davis and Jennings to be among the elite at their position. I am a little worried that McCoy will end up blowing up, though...

My keeper picks are due on Tuesday, and I'm torn between keeping McCoy for a 5th rounder, Jennings for a 3rd rounder, or Vernon for a 17th rounder (.5 PPR). I can only keep 2...

In all honesty, I'm seriously thinking about throwing back McCoy. Can't say I've been all that impressed with him, and I consider both Davis and Jennings to be among the elite at their position. I am a little worried that McCoy will end up blowing up, though...

Definitely... keep Vernon. That's siiick value.

I had hopes for him. I thought with all the personel changes the Eagles done, that meant Reid would change too.

Sadly it looks like the same old mess but McNabb won't be there to blame for it.

Horrible looking 1st team o line. 2nd team has looked even worse. Factor this in with Reid just not being consistent with the run, the oline will never get any type of grove going which will reflect back on McCoys numbers.