Sign in to follow this  
Carl Eller's Dead Liver

Dynasty Trade

I would get Joe Flacco + the 11th overall pick for the #4 overall pick. I am strongly considering because of my weak QB state. We start 1 QB2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE. I will be able to get Antonio Gates in FA so pencil him in as my starting TE. No good QB's are available. I really like Flacco cause of the addition of Boldin.

QB: Jay Culter, Josh Freeman

RB: Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, M Lynch, Freddie Jackson, Kevin Smith

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Sidney Rice, Brandon Marshall, Ocho Cinco, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin

TE: John Carlson, (Gates likely in FA)

What do you think? Flacco could explode this year and be a top 7 QB or he could be more of the same as last season….which was a low end #1 or high end #2. I would still retain the #11 pick which I could likely get Bradford at. That would likley fix my QB problem. Good QB's won't be free agents for 2 more years in this league.

I don't think it's a bad deal, but I'd try and wait until after the NFL Draft occurs so you can figure out which rookie RBs land where.

You're set up nicely at RB, WR and TE (should you land Gates), so I can see why this deal would really appeal to you. Running backs are usually the most valuable asset in fantasy football though, so I'd be hesitant to trade the #4 pick for Flacco and #11 - unless you feel comfortable in the research you've done on the rookie RBs and don't think whichever one lands in the 4th best spot will accomplish much.

Jay Cutler should be better than he was last season in terms of fantasy play within Mike Martz system. Josh Freeman might be a decent spot starter if needed. I probably have Cutler rated a little higher than you though. He and Flacco would make for a nice QB rotation.

I guess it depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Either make the trade you mentioned and your set up nicely everywhere. Or wait til after the NFL Draft, identify who you think is worth 4th overall pick, and then decide if you could work some type of deal involving that #4 pick (or the player you select there) along with one of your back-up RBs and/or a WR to go after one of the truly elite QBs.

You seem to be in a win-win situation regardless of which direction you go.

Cutler will be in a pass happy system that puts up alot fo fantasy points... so i think its a wash of a trade but you would be dropping 7 spots in the rookie draft; so id declinie this offer and stay put

I think it's a decent deal but I agree with the sentiment of "wait for the NFL draft." Your team is very strong, but you may not have much in the way of RB reserves if something happens to Rice or AD. And, no problem with picking up a great RB if you get the chance. Tell the guy you wanna see who goes where first.

I am going to disagree with the group here. I would take that deal and lock up your backup QB situation. Since you have Cutler you will want another top QB b/c he will play in some bad weather and have some tough matchups. You are built to make a run...so make a run.

Then I would package P.Harvin/Lynch/1.11 and get an upgrade at RB.

If you could get a guy like Mendy, Moreno, Forte, PT/+, McCoy/+, type it would get you ready for this season. I mean this roster would be able to go deep:

Cutler/Flacco

AP/Rice/Forte/F.Jackson/K.Smith

Fitz/Marshall/S.Rice/Ocho/Maclin

Carlson(still need an upgrade here. Maybe Carlson/Maclin for Finley, Celek, Whitten or grab Gates on the ww)

Anyway I hope this helps.

I'd take it right now. Nobody in the draft is going to help your team immediately and you do have a "win now" team. Adding a QB to platoon with Cutler would be very valuable to you.

Kilroy (who knows his stuff) suggests waiting for the draft, but I disagree. You wait for the draft and whoever your trade partner is might not like where a player he's targeting (prolly a 2nd round RB) lands, he can back out and then you're stuck starting Cutler every week and have a #4 pick that you won't use this year at all.

Strike while the coal is hot.

ETA that I agree with Woodduck that you should try to make at least one more move to get an upgrade for some of the depth you have.

it depends on whether you really like a top 4 rook

i don't know if there is a "4th" rook after potentially spiller, matthews, dez bryant

i would do the deal because there are many other rookie RB's who will be drafted but not have starting potential off-the-bat

...you might get one at #11 that has just as much chance as #4...or as you said, maybe bradford is there

fred jackson should be a great rb3

I would do that trade in a heartbeat... Cutler's upside is real nice under Martz for sure, but Freeman behind him.... eh Ugly

You're pretty damn stocked everywhere but behind Cutler, so like you said add Flacco as insurance, and maybe even Bradford if he slips to you at #11...

word has it Lynch is gettin shipped out of Buffalo on draft weekend which would make Fred Jackson a stud bye week filler behind your big boys and possibly raise Lynch's value also if he went to a Houston or a San Diego type place....

You're in a win now situation dude..... the 4 pick isn't going to spackle up your only real team problem that I could see which is QB insurance....

GL

no way. cutler => flacco and the 4th pick >>> 11th pick. yes you are weak at back up QB, but hold onto 4 and take a young RB

I have the #4 in a dynasty, and would love an offer like that for it. Take it.

I am shocked by the responses in this thread. rookies are a crapshoot but its 1.04 in a decent RB draft for joe flacco when you have cutler and a good project in freeman. how is flacco value for you?

Alright, just to update everyone. I didn't take the trade, but I did do another trade. I traded Harvin straight up for 1.2, yes to another Vikings fan. I am going to keep both #2 and #4. I am going to draft Spiller or Mathews at #2. I can't believe he did that trade, but I am now looking at Peterson, Rice, Spiller or Matthews for years to come. Then wait to see what happens at #4. I am targeting either Gerhart, Bryant, or Best at #4. Can't go wrong with any of those prospects.

I agree that Culter will be a fine starter. Brady will be a free agent in '11 so I can target him if Culter goes belly up.

I am shocked by the responses in this thread. rookies are a crapshoot but its 1.04 in a decent RB draft for joe flacco when you have cutler and a good project in freeman. how is flacco value for you?

Look I understand where you are coming from,... been doing dynasty leagues forever and know the value of a young RB, but lookin at this guys team how can you not make the deal ? Cutler gets hurt and he's simply focked... He's pretty damn solid at RB owning 2 of the 4 best young dynasty RB's already with Fred Jackson a very good bye week/injury replacement, Smith rehabbing, and Marshaw Lynchs value about to go through the roof when he's more than likely dealt in a few weeks....

Now throw in the fact he has the # 2 overall pick in the draft to land another RB like Spiller/Best or Mathews the 4 pick is meaningless to his team in my opinion, Flacco is a solid fall back option if Jay Cut goes down.... and he's still picking up the 11 pick where he can maybe land a solid prospect in a Bradford type, or A.Benn, Dem Thomas or even another RB like Ben Tate who can be every bit as good as the Rb's coming out... I don't think the RB class is special at all aside from Spiller, but that's me

Alright, just to update everyone. I didn't take the trade, but I did do another trade. I traded Harvin straight up for 1.2, yes to another Vikings fan. I am going to keep both #2 and #4. I am going to draft Spiller or Mathews at #2. I can't believe he did that trade, but I am now looking at Peterson, Rice, Spiller or Matthews for years to come. Then wait to see what happens at #4. I am targeting either Gerhart, Bryant, or Best at #4. Can't go wrong with any of those prospects.

I agree that Culter will be a fine starter. Brady will be a free agent in '11 so I can target him if Culter goes belly up.

You - Carl Eller's Dead Liver - traded Harvin??????

All I can say is - NICE TRADE, BUDDY.

Cutler will be in a pass happy system that puts up alot fo fantasy points... so i think its a wash of a trade but you would be dropping 7 spots in the rookie draft; so id declinie this offer and stay put

:doublethumbsup:

You - Carl Eller's Dead Liver - traded Harvin??????

All I can say is - NICE TRADE, BUDDY.

Thanks man! You know how much I like Harvin, but I already have Sidney Rice.....which makes Harvin very tough to start. Plus, hate to say it as a Vikings fan, where do we go after Favre retires? I still think Rice and Harvin will have significant value when the Vikings start a new QB, but can I reliably start both Rice and Harvin? With Favre, yes. Without Favre, likely no. Trading Harvin for Spiller or Mathews was a huge value even in my eyes. Almost as good as when I traded Donald Brown for Ray Rice in last year's preseason. I just need to get another QB. I think Culter will be a decent starter, but I'd love to have a top 5 QB.

I would get Joe Flacco + the 11th overall pick for the #4 overall pick. I am strongly considering because of my weak QB state. We start 1 QB2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE. I will be able to get Antonio Gates in FA so pencil him in as my starting TE. No good QB's are available. I really like Flacco cause of the addition of Boldin.

QB: Jay Culter, Josh Freeman

RB: Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, M Lynch, Freddie Jackson, Kevin Smith

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Sidney Rice, Brandon Marshall, Ocho Cinco, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin

TE: John Carlson, (Gates likely in FA)

What do you think? Flacco could explode this year and be a top 7 QB or he could be more of the same as last season….which was a low end #1 or high end #2. I would still retain the #11 pick which I could likely get Bradford at. That would likley fix my QB problem. Good QB's won't be free agents for 2 more years in this league.

I know this is a little late, but I do think you should make this deal if it is still on the table.

Cutler may still have the upside, and I'm sure they will find him a WR to throw to, but with this team, you are very close to winning it all, and I think the trade for Flacco puts you over the top.

you would have what I think is likely a top 5 or top 6 QB who is young, you have another QB (cutler) who can get the job done if needed. At RB you have Rice and ADP, two of the best in the game, and at WR Fitz, Rice and Marshall are also 3 of the best in the game and Ocho is no slouch either.

if you can still afford gates as a free agent, you will have players in the top 5 or 6 at every position. I dont think you can afford to walk from this deal as I believe its gonna take at least another year or two for Chicago to get the WR's Cutler needs to succeed and you have a chance to win now.

I say go for it.

I know this is a little late, but I do think you should make this deal if it is still on the table.

Cutler may still have the upside, and I'm sure they will find him a WR to throw to, but with this team, you are very close to winning it all, and I think the trade for Flacco puts you over the top.

you would have what I think is likely a top 5 or top 6 QB who is young, you have another QB (cutler) who can get the job done if needed. At RB you have Rice and ADP, two of the best in the game, and at WR Fitz, Rice and Marshall are also 3 of the best in the game and Ocho is no slouch either.

if you can still afford gates as a free agent, you will have players in the top 5 or 6 at every position. I dont think you can afford to walk from this deal as I believe its gonna take at least another year or two for Chicago to get the WR's Cutler needs to succeed and you have a chance to win now.

I say go for it.

Took your advice and I am going for it! Thanks man. Hope Flacco turns out.

Took your advice and I am going for it! Thanks man. Hope Flacco turns out.

you hope flacco turns out to.... start once when cutler is on bye? I just dont get it...