Sign in to follow this  
Busted by the Feds

Who is higher in the QB fantasy rankings now ? Kolb or McNabb ?

Kolb has a great chance to finish with better numbers. However, by the time August drafts roll around the Kolb hype-train will be chugging at full speed. Not sure he'll be a value pick considering his minimal playing time.

Kolb has a great chance to finish with better numbers. However, by the time August drafts roll around the Kolb hype-train will be chugging at full speed. Not sure he'll be a value pick considering his minimal playing time.

Probably. :music_guitarred:

Even though I think Kolb is by far the better choice, by the time next season rolls around, Kolb will be over-valued and McNabb under-valued. The hype machine is a powerful force.

From a fantasy football perspective? Kolb. And it ain't even close.

ill say Kolb but I think it will be much much closer than alot of people want to believe.

McNabb. Kolb will lose 5 to 10 reps a game to Ron Mexico. He will not be able to get in a groove and will throw too many interceptions. He may well be riding the pine by game #10

What's your feel for the situation ?

Until Kolb actually does something I'm hesitant to believe he'll be even as remotely competent in that offense versus McNabb.

And every one here comparing seems to assume 2 things: Kolb is as good or better - not in my opinion personally and 2) WR/TE/RB situation in Philly is better than Wash - generally I'd say yes but Wash core is pretty capable at RB now, TE's are obviously better and the WR in Wash we all ranked pretty freakin high two years ago (Thomas, Kelly etc), not even counting Moss, are still there getting better.

McNabb I know, Kolb not so much.

Kolb could be better, but he could just as easily be Browning Nagle or Glenn Foley clone and then Philly sucks wanker en route to 4-12.......while McNabb takes Wash to 8-8:-)

I'd take Kolb, but I think it will be closer than most will think.

I'd say Kolb and it has nothing to do with Kolb vs McNabb or who is better.

1. The system: Philly is a throwing team, Redskins won't throw that much.

2. The skill players: Jackson, Maclin, Celek are proven guys that provide tough match ups. Washington's WR's will surely get better with McNabb, but not this year.

3. Cohesiveness: In Phili, same old show. In Washington, new coach, new qb, new system, new everything.

I'd say Kolb and it has nothing to do with Kolb vs McNabb or who is better.

1. The system: Philly is a throwing team, Redskins won't throw that much.

2. The skill players: Jackson, Maclin, Celek are proven guys that provide tough match ups. Washington's WR's will surely get better with McNabb, but not this year.

3. Cohesiveness: In Phili, same old show. In Washington, new coach, new qb, new system, new everything.

this

Until Kolb actually does something I'm hesitant to believe he'll be even as remotely competent in that offense versus McNabb.

And every one here comparing seems to assume 2 things: Kolb is as good or better - not in my opinion personally and 2) WR/TE/RB situation in Philly is better than Wash - generally I'd say yes but Wash core is pretty capable at RB now, TE's are obviously better and the WR in Wash we all ranked pretty freakin high two years ago (Thomas, Kelly etc), not even counting Moss, are still there getting better.

Kolb could be better, but he could just as easily be Browning Nagle or Glenn Foley clone and then Philly sucks wanker en route to 4-12.......while McNabb takes Wash to 8-8:-)

I understand your thinking...but I think you're grossly underestimating the talent in Philly, and overstating the talent in Washington...

Pretty capable at RB? They've got 3 over-the-hill, aging RB's, who haven't even run well the last year or two. Chris Cooley is an above average TE, but who knows how he'll recover from his injury, and if he can STAY healthy. Santana Moss? Devin Thomas? Kelly? You've got 1 underachieving WR, and 2 young WR's who haven't proven anything. Meanwhile DeSean Jackson is quite possibly the best big-play threat in the league, and Jeremy Maclin has shown more than Thomas/Kelly have combined. Celek, IMO, is a better pass-catching TE than Cooley...And not to mention McCoy and Weaver out of the backfield are better in the passing game than Portis/LJ/Parker are for the Redskins.

I think I would generally go by the general rules...

- Kolbe

- Tight Ends

- Kickers

- ANY Redskins player

- ANY Raiders player

I understand your thinking...but I think you're grossly underestimating the talent in Philly, and overstating the talent in Washington...

Pretty capable at RB? They've got 3 over-the-hill, aging RB's, who haven't even run well the last year or two. Chris Cooley is an above average TE, but who knows how he'll recover from his injury, and if he can STAY healthy. Santana Moss? Devin Thomas? Kelly? You've got 1 underachieving WR, and 2 young WR's who haven't proven anything. Meanwhile DeSean Jackson is quite possibly the best big-play threat in the league, and Jeremy Maclin has shown more than Thomas/Kelly have combined. Celek, IMO, is a better pass-catching TE than Cooley...And not to mention McCoy and Weaver out of the backfield are better in the passing game than Portis/LJ/Parker are for the Redskins.

I did say "pretty capable" not pretty spectacular, but in any case McCoy/Bell/Buckley still seems weaker than Portis/Johnson/Parker in my book, old or not. McCoy has yet to PROVE he can be even 60% of Westbrook so that's merely an assumption we all make. Kolb has a great deep arm and I like what he does for Jackson (you're spot on here) but does that translate into McNabb's penchant for the dink-dunk all the Iggles fans hated (Celek catches/yds)?? Maclin had 2 great games (one after FFL was over), 3 above average, the rest were mediocre and ALL OF THEM were with McNabb, so sophomore slump is entirely possible anyway. I'll take Cooley/Davis over Celek 99 times out of 100 (from QB perspective), roll the dice that McNabb translates better to Shanny's WC offense easier than Kolb instantly becoming a stud and call the RB sets a wash until proven otherwise.

On paper, sure Kolb, but i think we are all underestimating how bad Jason Campbell was in that offense.... He was Quincy Carter bad, Tee Martin bad... To say those rookie WRs haven't shown anything can be quite ambiguous.

I am really hoping this moves blows up in Phillys faces because they are obviously clueless on how valuable a McNabb is to their organization...

I'd say McNabb if they go get Marshall, until then Kolb by a hair.

Eagles fan here so take this with a grain of salt. I like McNabb and think he could have success in Washington, but from a pure fantasy perspective I'd go with Kolb.

The Eagles clearly have better weapons at receiver IMO. Desean is maybe the single best deep threat in football and Maclin quietly had an excellent rookie year. That's a better tandem than any two on the Skins. Celek and Cooley / Davis is pretty much a wash. As bad as the Eagles OL was last year, the Skins line was even worse. I'd give the Eagles an edge so far as Kolb's supporting cast. The big reason I think Kolb will do better though, is that the Eagles run a more pass-happy offense that should boost his stats. McNabb isn't cut out for throwing the ball 40+ times per game but he should thrive on a team with a running attack. Whether the Skins can actually run the ball remains to be seen.

And by the way, for all the trashing of Campbell he had a better completion percentage and threw for more yards than DMac last year. McNabb is clearly the better QB but you have to wonder how he'll handle playing behind that OL, even assuming they draft Okung in the first (and they're idiots if they don't).

I did say "pretty capable" not pretty spectacular, but in any case McCoy/Bell/Buckley still seems weaker than Portis/Johnson/Parker in my book, old or not. McCoy has yet to PROVE he can be even 60% of Westbrook so that's merely an assumption we all make. Kolb has a great deep arm and I like what he does for Jackson (you're spot on here) but does that translate into McNabb's penchant for the dink-dunk all the Iggles fans hated (Celek catches/yds)?? Maclin had 2 great games (one after FFL was over), 3 above average, the rest were mediocre and ALL OF THEM were with McNabb, so sophomore slump is entirely possible anyway. I'll take Cooley/Davis over Celek 99 times out of 100 (from QB perspective), roll the dice that McNabb translates better to Shanny's WC offense easier than Kolb instantly becoming a stud and call the RB sets a wash until proven otherwise.

When I was addressing the RB's, I was really focusing on their pass blocking, pass catching, and screen capabilities....Pretty sure LJ doesn't really factor into the passing game. Willie Parker has never caught more than 31 passes in a season, and has only reached double digits 3 times. While Portis has caught 40+ passes in his career, he only had 28 in 16 games in 2008, and only 9 catches in 8 games last year. McCoy, meanwhile, caught 40 passes last season as a part-time back as a rookie. And even Weaver showed that he was very capable out of the backfield.

I don't see how you can really say that's a push.

TE's - I'll give you a push, even though Cooley's coming off a major injury last season, and Celek is one of the best young TE's in the league.

WR's shouldn't really be close...Jackson>>>>S. Moss Maclin>Thomas/Kelly.

Factor in that the Eagles have the better offensive line, and a much more pass-happy offensive system...what are you trying to argue?

well, he looked pretty good in the games he started last year. that is a start.

Kolb's opponents are going to game plan for him this year. I think he will struggle being a first year starter. Sure, he will have some great games, but I don' think he is the next A. Rodgers like many are hoping for.

TE's - I'll give you a push, even though Cooley's coming off a major injury last season, and Celek is one of the best young TE's in the league.

I won't argue with the rest of the offense but noway Celek vs. Cooley and Davis is a push. Hell, after this season, I think Davis will be the head and shoulders the best of the 3.

I won't argue with the rest of the offense but noway Celek vs. Cooley and Davis is a push. Hell, after this season, I think Davis will be the head and shoulders the best of the 3.

Brent Celek had 76 catches for 971 yards and 8 TD's last year. In his two games with Kevin Kolb at QB he had 16 catches, 208 yards, 1 TD. Only Gates, Clark, and Witten had more yards. Only Clark, Davis, and Shiancoe had more TD's. Brent Celek was a top 5 TE in the NFL last season. Celek was also one of the better blocking TE's.

I'm not saying Fred Davis can't be a very good TE in the NFL, and he was very impressive in his 9 starts last season, but to say he will be head and shoulders above a top 5 TE in the NFL last season, that is kind of a stretch.

Brent Celek had 76 catches for 971 yards and 8 TD's last year. In his two games with Kevin Kolb at QB he had 16 catches, 208 yards, 1 TD. Only Gates, Clark, and Witten had more yards. Only Clark, Davis, and Shiancoe had more TD's. Brent Celek was a top 5 TE in the NFL last season. Celek was also one of the better blocking TE's.

I'm not saying Fred Davis can't be a very good TE in the NFL, and he was very impressive in his 9 starts last season, but to say he will be head and shoulders above a top 5 TE in the NFL last season, that is kind of a stretch.

He's got the pedigree and now he's got a QB. It's my opinion that Davis will be head and shoulders above Celek but it's not a stretch to say that Skins are better at TE than the Eagles.

He's got the pedigree and now he's got a QB. It's my opinion that Davis will be head and shoulders above Celek but it's not a stretch to say that Skins are better at TE than the Eagles.

Fred Davis has pedigree... LOL...do you guys really belive the bile that frothes out of your throats?

Fred Davis has pedigree... LOL...do you guys really belive the bile that frothes out of your throats?

He was a Mackey award winner, dumbass. I bet you don't even know what that is, without "googling" it.

He was a Mackey award winner, dumbass. I bet you don't even know what that is, without "googling" it.

2000 Tim Stratton Purdue

2001 Daniel Graham Colorado

2002 Dallas Clark Iowa

2003 Kellen Winslow II Miami (FL)

2004 Heath Miller Virginia

2005 Marcedes Lewis UCLA

2006 Matt Spaeth Minnesota

2007 Fred Davis Southern California

2008 Chase Coffman Missouri

2009 Aaron Hernandez Florida

So this 'pedigree' lends itself to having a 30% chance of NFL-relevant career....70% chance of bagging groceries in the near term...

I continue to laugh and fart in your general direction...

You can stick that pedigree in your pipe and smoke it...

I know Davis has talent, and so does Cooley. But the stats don't lie, especially when comparing them for the next season. Could Davis be a top10 TE next year? Possibly, but only if Cooley disappears. Can he be a top5 TE in a couple years? Absolutely. Is Cooley a top5 TE right now? No, but he's top 10. I think if we took a poll, more people would take Celek next year over Cooley.

So calling the TE position a push seems very fair to the Redskins.

1st off, Shanahan as a coach has always spelled trouble for fantasy owners. Elway, Rod Smith, etc were never great for fantasy. The RB's were if you knew who they'd be. Also, washington's line sucks compared to Philly. Campbell was bad, but he was running away from pressure all the time...and I don't think McNabb is as quick as he used to be. I fear for his safety in Was.

Throw in the the RBBC with egos like CP and LJ and you have turmoil brewing already. Haynesworth isn't quite on board either and they need that anchor.

It's going to take awhile for this team to fall in line for Shanahan and I'll be steering clear of Was unless all the personalities gel (which is really why they wanted him, for the lockerroom).

So Kolb has the edge in my mind, but is still middle to lower tier as Vick vultures TD's.

And not to mention McCoy and Weaver out of the backfield are better in the passing game than Portis/LJ/Parker are for the Redskins.

yeah but Portis can pick up the blitz like no other.... one problem McCoy showed he couldn't do last year.... this doesn't bode well for Kolb IMO.....

Obviously Kolb is the "safer" guy fantasy wise, just do to a comfortable situation/offense but I think they'll put up similar stats by season's end in the fantasy world (depending on your scoring system of course)...

1st off, Shanahan as a coach has always spelled trouble for fantasy owners. Elway, Rod Smith, etc were never great for fantasy.

You can't be serious stating Rod Smith was never great for fantasy.... simply can't be.... :mad: