Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

Any of you ever quit being a fan of a team?

I ask because I'm about a ###### hair from dropping the Bengals entirely. The losing isn't the issue. While it fires me up, I move on instantly. The inept cheapness of Mike Brown isn't really the reason either. While I realize he's the largest reason the Bengals haven't been successful, I do believe he wants to win yet doesn't have a clue how. The reason is the constant signing, along with the 2nd/3rd/4th chances, of the scum of the NFL. It's well beyond embarrassing now, and I'm real close to not wasting another moment of my life on this franchise.

Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, Larry Johnson, Tank Johnson, Matt Jones..and now it looks like Pacman is coming to town

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5161600

Just look at the list of transgressions. The only thing not represented is rape and murder...yet. And what's the point of some of these signings. Matt Jones will be lucky to make the team, Pacman is at best the 4th corner on the team if they sign him, etc. Insane I tell ya.

In the case of Bengal fans it is justified. There is just absolutely no reason to sign that over-hyped, washed-up, juvenile piece of human waste. He's never been a great, or even good player. At one point in time he was an exceptional athlete, but that has since passed. He's been given chance after chance and squandered said chances without even a hint of remorse.

Jerry Jones bent over backwards trying to help this idiot succeed and not only does he prove himself worthless on the field but he sucker punches one of the guys Jones was paying to watch his back while taking a leak at a rap concert. I never thought I'd see him get a chance in the NFL again. Congratulations Mike Brown.

If there is any justice in the world Carson Palmer would be traded to Pittsburgh for the Tubby Rapist.

I've never quit nor changed a team...but it's mighty hard being a Steelers fan right now and balance it while trying to be a good parent. The Big Ben thing is the first time my support of the Steelers has waned. I can handle missing the playoffs, losing seasons and inept playing and coaching...but having the most recognizable face of the franchise looking like a serial rapist and/or a serial jackass is hard to handle.

I get what you're saying but i have to disagree about how bad it is.

Pacman - Since signing with the cowboys, he hasn't been too bad. Yea, there was a scuffle with his handlers, but its a huge difference from making it rain. Also, he hasn't had football to keep him busy yet he's stayed out of trouble since he's been cut. I think he's worth a flyer. I'm a cowboys fan, so unfortunately, we wouldn't ever sign him again. But if you can get him for an unguaranteed contract with incentive laced bonuses, why not? Who knows if he has anything left, but if you can put him out in a few pre-season games for 250k, i'd say its worth a shot.

Tank Johnson - Gun infractions. Dumb for sure. But he hasn't been in trouble in a long time. His problem is he hasn't ever been consistent.

Chris Henry was clearly a dumb ass when he entered the league. I know postmortem everyone is a saint, but even before his death, everyone was saying how much he has matured.

I think LJ is the only one i would say is a POS.

Thurman and matt jones seem like bad guys. If other teams signed them, i don't think it would be a big deal. But they are borderline guys and when you already have 3-5 borderline guys, the scale starts tipping to the wrong side.

In the end, i don't think the signings would be enough to drop them as a team. It might be easier for me to say that since they haven't been signed to my team, but the cowboys have been open to embracing problem players and it hasn't bothered me too much. Maybe a lot of it has to do with the fact i'm not overly concerned with how players act. I think the media has successfully made this a big deal. I would blame mike vick the most. His actions really brought out the protestors (don't get how killing dogs is worse than what leonard little did :pointstosky:) and then ever since, every action is scrtunized.

I say I have for the Lions and I kind of have. I don't watch them anymore during the regular season in part because of Sunday Ticket and I watch more interesting games with people on my fantasy teams. However I still keep up with all their moves and everything hard not to living in Detroit listening to sports radio/ reading newspaper, and watching the news.

Are you crazy? NO. You never give in, never surrender.

I'm still starting Stephen Davis every week.

I get what you're saying but i have to disagree about how bad it is.

Pacman - Since signing with the cowboys, he hasn't been too bad. Yea, there was a scuffle with his handlers, but its a huge difference from making it rain. Also, he hasn't had football to keep him busy yet he's stayed out of trouble since he's been cut. I think he's worth a flyer. I'm a cowboys fan, so unfortunately, we wouldn't ever sign him again. But if you can get him for an unguaranteed contract with incentive laced bonuses, why not? Who knows if he has anything left, but if you can put him out in a few pre-season games for 250k, i'd say its worth a shot.

Tank Johnson - Gun infractions. Dumb for sure. But he hasn't been in trouble in a long time. His problem is he hasn't ever been consistent.

Chris Henry was clearly a dumb ass when he entered the league. I know postmortem everyone is a saint, but even before his death, everyone was saying how much he has matured.

I think LJ is the only one i would say is a POS.

Thurman and matt jones seem like bad guys. If other teams signed them, i don't think it would be a big deal. But they are borderline guys and when you already have 3-5 borderline guys, the scale starts tipping to the wrong side.

In the end, i don't think the signings would be enough to drop them as a team. It might be easier for me to say that since they haven't been signed to my team, but the cowboys have been open to embracing problem players and it hasn't bothered me too much. Maybe a lot of it has to do with the fact i'm not overly concerned with how players act. I think the media has successfully made this a big deal. I would blame mike vick the most. His actions really brought out the protestors (don't get how killing dogs is worse than what leonard little did :pointstosky:) and then ever since, every action is scrtunized.

Out of all the guys you mention, only LJ is the POS?

February 25th, 1989

Jones fired Landry and I thought he didn't handle it with any class at all.

I became a bit of recluse for a while and then the Browns moved. I then said that if another team came to Cleveland and they called themselves the Browns then I'd root for them.

So I went from the Cowboys to the Browns...

...now I gotta figure who to root for in basketball since my Sonics moved. :shocking:

I've never quit nor changed a team...but it's mighty hard being a Steelers fan right now and balance it while trying to be a good parent. The Big Ben thing is the first time my support of the Steelers has waned. I can handle missing the playoffs, losing seasons and inept playing and coaching...but having the most recognizable face of the franchise looking like a serial rapist and/or a serial jackass is hard to handle.

Go back and be a Cowboy fan. :shocking:

Just found this littler blurb on Bengals.com...never ends.

"On Tuesday afternoon the Bengals were looking into the arrest of wide receiver Maurice Purify early Tuesday morning on disorderly conduct charges. According to various radio and TV reports Purify was arrested about 2 a.m. in Newport Ky., at the bar Jefferson Hall. According to the Channel 5 web site, a Newport police report says they broke up a fight inside the bar and made several people leave the bar. When an officer walked out the back door of the bar he found Purify fighting with at least one other person, the site said."

nope, not allowed. you are stuck with your geographic boundaries. if you move, you can adopt the team from that area as well, and replace your home team if you choose after X years.

What about if your team moves? If the Vikings leave Minnesota I'll be forced to hate them forever, and then I'll be following my hero from PURDUE UNIVERSITY, Mr. Drew BREES and the New Orleans Saints.

Only 3 acceptable scenarios for changing teams.

1. They move

2. You move

3. You live in an area without a team, and one moves to your area (like when the Oilers moved to Tennessee)

I've always loved the Raiders. I once was a huge Laker fan, but since they got Kobe and P. Jackson I can't stand them. Once they leave I might return to being a Laker fan. As for football, once a Raider fan alwasy a Raider fan. :wave:

I am an LA Rams fan. Safe to say... I have thought about it every year for the past few years. But I've talked to much crap on my Charger fan friends to switch to them... so living in SoCal, all I really don't have much of a choice other than to adopt some random team. Which is exactly what I do each season. I have been on the Saints Wagon ever since they got Brees and Bush (USC fan). I drafted Bush in the first round his rookie year and ended up winning it all... so they have been my team to root for.

Anyhow... call me crazy, but the Bengals were good last year. I like them to repeat as division winners if Odom can comeback and be a factor. Even if he doesn't... it will still be a close race between them and the Ravens. Sure they have all these character issues with a lot of their players, but that doesn't have any bearing on me personally. I just watch them play football.

You only give up on your team if they move. As a life long Saints fan who suffered for many years (two playoff wins in forty years), I was vindicated for my loyalty last year. Being a diehard year after year made winning the Super Bowl that much more special to me. I wanted to give up a few times, but when the seaon starts, you gotta pull for your team.

But have any of you that were considering it..were you considering it for the reasons I mentioned. I can deal with losing (re: Saints).

I think you're stuck in the past. Yes, the 2006 and 2007 seasons were quite embarrasing because of all the arrests, but that was it. Other than Purify (who will likely be cut) they other day, I can't think of any Bengal getting in any trouble. Henry, LJ, Tank Johnson, Cedrick Benson, have all been model citizens and players since they were signed with the Bengals.

So, on the contrary, I think they've done a stellar job with the reclamation projects. We don't know about Matt Jones yet, but so far he hasn't done anything to embarass the club.

To put it in stock market terms, you'd be selling high if you gave up on them now. The time to abandon them was back in 2007.

I've always loved the Raiders. I once was a huge Laker fan, but since they got Kobe and P. Jackson I can't stand them. Once they leave I might return to being a Laker fan. As for football, once a Raider fan alwasy a Raider fan. ;)

I've always wondered how hard it would be to be a Raider fan. I'm not knocking the die hard Silver n' Black fans, I think it is great that they stick with their team. But it has got to be frustrating year after year watching them reach for players in the draft. The Raiders are stuck because of Al Davis. He WAS a good owner a long time ago, but is a detrimnet to the franchise year in year out. He hires Wet Noodles at head coach so he can micromanage the hell out of them. Jon Gruden was the best thing that has happened to the Raiders in years and he gets traded to the Bucs for some draft picks. I do have to say that the pick I most look forward to every year is the Raiders 1st round pick because you never know who the hell they'll pick! Kudos to you Raider fans that are sticking this out and when the mafia boss finally kicks the bucket you might have a shot at a return to your glory days. :headbanger:

But have any of you that were considering it..were you considering it for the reasons I mentioned. I can deal with losing (re: Saints).

It wasn't just the losing. It was taking a safety in the first round over Eddie George because Jim Mora's son is a defensive backs coach when we needed a running back desperately. It was Ditka giving up an entire draft and then some for Ricky Williams. It was for bad draft after bad draft and awful free-agent picks. It was for Benson always threatening to move the team because New Orleans and the state weren't treating him fairly. It was for playing prevent defense against the 49'ers in the fourth quarter year after year and watching Montana pick us apart. The time I really considered giving up was when we needed to win one of our last four games to make the playoffs and we allowed Aaron Brooks to QB the last four games when evryone knew he had a bum shoulder. Could have started Jake Delhome in the last game to defeat the lowly Bengals, who were crappy, and we lose.

I wouldn't give up. The Bengals are a good team in my opinion.

When the Browns became the Ravens I had no choice but to switch over.... dynasty fantasy football has always dominated my life since about 1988, so I always have my fav players I root for..... Barry Sanders was on my team for 8 years in the 90's, and i've had moss pretty much his whole career also, so you always have that when your teams playoff hopes go sour on the year....

but I grew up liking the Browns.... then when they moved I started to like and follow the Ravens...... Now I like them both ;)

PacMan is scheduled to sign on Monday.

Minimal risk...I have no problem with it whatsoever. :dunno: If he focks up, he's gone. If he performs well, it's a steal.

Crossing over into other sports:

The thought has briefly crossed my mind regarding the Mariners. They have some very nice pitching, but decided to go cheap on the bats. I liked the Figgins signing, but having perennial A-hole Milton Bradley and the fat old guy that calls himself Ken Griffey Jr. as the two biggest power threats is D-U-M-B. There were lots of fairly affordable power hitters available (and there still are!). The Mariners have wasted Ichiro's entire MLB career and will likely waste a great year from Cliff Lee this season (and Im sure they wont' resign him). Management! There is no GOD DAMN salary cap in baseball!! Spend a little focking money!!! Seattle goes nuts when their baseball team is a winner. :pointstosky:

I won't quit on them, but it puts me in a foul mood.

I indeed know what its like to have a team quit on me, watching a talented young Sonics team bolt to the sticks. Fantastic movie out right now about the NBA and others bamboozling Seattle out of the Sonics. What sucks is that for the city to get another team, it'll likely come at the expense of another city. :dunno:

I ceased to be an Oilers fan when they bolted to Tennessee. And NO, the Texans just arent cutting it for me either. I have no favorite team anymore. If anything I root against certain teams but otherwise the NFL provides me value from a fantasy standpoint and thats it. You take the fantasy aspect away and football is worthless to me.

One thing I will say though - How can Bills fans still support that sh!thole garbage team? They go out and get a worthless coach, dumb-a$$ GM and have a lousy draft where they skip out on franchise QBs so they can draft undersized, dime a dozen lineman with chinese names. People actually pay money to watch the Bills play football. Its laughable.

Due to local coverage, I have to endure Bills coverage and they are the biggest joke in pro sports. It seems like a hundred years ago that they had any good players or were even worth watching.

Bills fans are either completely faithful and/or retarded.

I ceased to be an Oilers fan when they bolted to Tennessee. And NO, the Texans just arent cutting it for me either. I have no favorite team anymore. If anything I root against certain teams but otherwise the NFL provides me value from a fantasy standpoint and thats it. You take the fantasy aspect away and football is worthless to me.

Same here with the Oilers, but I'm am a Texans fan.

Not in the NFL, but I came this close to cutting ties with my beloved Trail Blazers. I was utterly disappointed with the organization near the end of the "jail blazers" era, and the team really didn't have any positive affect on the city at all. I didn't follow them that much for a couple years, but when I saw the promise that Brandon Roy showed I started watching again. When we took Oden #1 (still holding out hope) I was fully on board and ready to proclaim "Rip City" was back.

Same here with the Oilers, but I'm am a Texans fan.

If it makes you feel any better, as a Titans fan, I love having a team now, but I have that nervous feeling you have when you are dating a chick that cheated on her last boyfriend with you.

You know, the "If she'll do it with you, she'll do it to you" feeling.

I just know that at some point, Adams will decide that the stadium (which is currently underwater btw) is no longer up to snuff, and will threaten to bail unless we pony up.

And quite frankly, the deal he got the last time makes me sick as a Nashvillian. We have no rights in that stadium. Can't have concerts there, or anything else. But I bet he expects the city and state to fix the flood damage for him.

nope, not allowed. you are stuck with your geographic boundaries. if you move, you can adopt the team from that area as well, and replace your home team if you choose after X years.

I disagree. I have never been to PA, but I have been a Steelers fan for over 30 years. Being a "real fan" has nothing to do with where you live. It is about really caring about how well they do and being loyal. Moving is not an acceptable excuse. Can you imagine some die-hard fan of any team thinking "I really like the _______, I'm their biggest fan, but if I ever move I'll probably just switch teams."?

A new team moving to your area is irrelevant. Why should someone root for a team just because it is the shortest driving distance from their house? An NFL team could move across the street from my house and that would just make me put a lot of Steelers signs in the front yard.

I was thinking there would never be an acceptable reason, but MAYBE if the team moved. I guess you could feel they abandoned your city or one could possibly say THAT team ceased to exist. . I really can't see any other reason.

If you switch from team A to team B, you never really were/will be a fan of either.

95-96 through 97-98 when the Sixers signed Derrick Coleman the first time.

A new team moving to your area is irrelevant. Why should someone root for a team just because it is the shortest driving distance from their house? An NFL team could move across the street from my house and that would just make me put a lot of Steelers signs in the front yard.

Speaking for myself, I really didn't have a "favorite team" before the Titans moved here. I hated the Cowboys, liked the 49ers, etc., meaning I had a lukewarm feeling about each team. I watched the NFL, but didn't really care about it.

Here, college football was, and largely still is, king. Several generations of my family have been fans of the vols. I watched them while I was learning what football was. I hate bama and the gators like they hit my sister.

I remember when they announced the Oilers were moving here, I had never really payed much attention to them. I sat down, and watched one of their games.

Over time, you get to know the roster, and form attachments with certain players. And they are on t.v. every week, so they are the team you have the most exposure to. And, it has a community aspect to it, that is our team, they represent our city, etc.

While I love having the Titans here, and root for them vigorously, it still isn't the same as the college loyalty. When the Titans lose, its disappointing, but it doesn't ruin my day. I don't really hate any of the Titans rivals, although I was beginning to hate Baltimore before they changed the divisions.

That is one beef I have with the NFL. They have drawn the divisions in silly ways that almost preclude rivalries. Look at the Titans division... They play the Colts (who is most people in Tennessee's second favorite team, due to manning) which is in far away Indy. I don't know anyone from indy. I never run across die hard cols fans. Same is true for Texans and Jags fans. But I see Bama, Georgia, and Kentucky fans every day.

Atlanta and Tennessee should be in the same division. The Florida teams should all be in the same division. The two texas teams should be, and the Cali teams. And don't even get me started on New York getting two teams, one in each conference. It is crap how New Yorkers get to be fans of two teams. If they get two, they should be in the same division, and they should have to pick a side, and have a bitter rivalry.

Football loyalty is partly about loving your team. It is also largely about hating its rivals, and that is easier to do when their fans are close. Familiarity, as they say, breeds contempt.

Speaking for myself, I really didn't have a "favorite team" before the Titans moved here. I hated the Cowboys, liked the 49ers, etc., meaning I had a lukewarm feeling about each team. I watched the NFL, but didn't really care about it.

Here, college football was, and largely still is, king. Several generations of my family have been fans of the vols. I watched them while I was learning what football was. I hate bama and the gators like they hit my sister.

I remember when they announced the Oilers were moving here, I had never really payed much attention to them. I sat down, and watched one of their games.

Over time, you get to know the roster, and form attachments with certain players. And they are on t.v. every week, so they are the team you have the most exposure to. And, it has a community aspect to it, that is our team, they represent our city, etc.

While I love having the Titans here, and root for them vigorously, it still isn't the same as the college loyalty. When the Titans lose, its disappointing, but it doesn't ruin my day. I don't really hate any of the Titans rivals, although I was beginning to hate Baltimore before they changed the divisions.

That is one beef I have with the NFL. They have drawn the divisions in silly ways that almost preclude rivalries. Look at the Titans division... They play the Colts (who is most people in Tennessee's second favorite team, due to manning) which is in far away Indy. I don't know anyone from indy. I never run across die hard cols fans. Same is true for Texans and Jags fans. But I see Bama, Georgia, and Kentucky fans every day.

Atlanta and Tennessee should be in the same division. The Florida teams should all be in the same division. The two texas teams should be, and the Cali teams. And don't even get me started on New York getting two teams, one in each conference. It is crap how New Yorkers get to be fans of two teams. If they get two, they should be in the same division, and they should have to pick a side, and have a bitter rivalry.

Football loyalty is partly about loving your team. It is also largely about hating its rivals, and that is easier to do when their fans are close. Familiarity, as they say, breeds contempt.

NFL divisions are perfectly fine, what you are asking for is conference changes.

the NFL works more like MLB, not the NBA.

the NBA has what you are looking for in terms of conferences done by location.

NFL and MLB do divisions by location, not conference. Baseball has 2 NY teams, one in the AL East and one in the NL East. Just like having the Jets in the AFC east and the Giants in the NFC East.

Rivalries in the NFL are great and are formed both by location and history.

Rivalries in the NFL are great and are formed both by location and history.

Sure. I just guess in my case, with the team moving here, and then the re-divisioning a few years later, I haven't had time to hate yet. And its not exactly like the Texans or Jags have really been worth the bother to hate.

Only 3 acceptable scenarios for changing teams.

1. They move

2. You move

3. You live in an area without a team, and one moves to your area (like when the Oilers moved to Tennessee)

4. Matt "Freaking" Millen- I go back to being a Lion fan in the 60's, the Dempsey FG, 1 playoff win in 50 years and so much more but the joke that was Millen did me in. Could not do it anymore but with him gone I'm being sucked right back in. For the first time ever I actually see a plan and some hope, we shall see.

I disagree. I have never been to PA, but I have been a Steelers fan for over 30 years. Being a "real fan" has nothing to do with where you live.

The typical bandwagon fan mantra! You watched the Steelers beat the Cowboys in a Super Bowl and, voila, you are a Steeler fan. Bandwagon fan at its finest :pointstosky:

The typical bandwagon fan mantra! You watched the Steelers beat the Cowboys in a Super Bowl and, voila, you are a Steeler fan. Bandwagon fan at its finest :rolleyes:

Well, If you want to call a 6 year old (who stayed with the team for 3 decades and counting after that) a bandwagon fan, so be it. I guess you're a fan because your parents told you to be one?

Also,

21-10 :overhead:

but I grew up liking the Browns.... then when they moved I started to like and follow the Ravens...... Now I like them both :overhead:

May you use up all of your luck at the poker table. :rolleyes:

Here, college football was, and largely still is, king.

I went to Auburn and still go to every home game. I know what you mean.