Sign in to follow this  
Yer mom

Galarraga: Detroit Tigers - 24 up 24 down

Is it just me, or are MLB umps especially awful this year? Like, they've always been c0cksuckers....but this year they seem more belligerent and blind than ever before.

Who was the shiitstain who threw out Buerhle for what seemed absolutely no reason?

Someone brought up a good point. Tigers' pitcher gets screwed in historical fashion, Jim Leyland chooses not to make any criticism of the umpire. Had this call been made last year at the end of Mark Buerhle's perfect game last year? Ozzie Guillen would have taken off his shirt and challenged the ump to a fist fight.

Wow, no that would still be a perfect game, it would go down as an error, like i said they can reverse hits/errors.

It was a hit, not an error. If they reversed it why the fvck would they list it as an error? I'm not understanding your logic.

Someone brought up a good point. Tigers' pitcher gets screwed in historical fashion, Jim Leyland chooses not to make any criticism of the umpire. Had this call been made last year at the end of Mark Buerhle's perfect game last year? Ozzie Guillen would have taken off his shirt and challenged the ump to a fist fight.

Joyce must have told him at the end of the game that he blew the call. Leyland was just protecting him...and trying not to get fined.

It was a hit, not an error. If they reversed it why the fvck would they list it as an error? I'm not understanding your logic.

Correct, they would not change that ruling to an error, even if he had slightly bobbled it (which he didn't). There is nothing that can be done to fix this, instead we get the poster child for expanded instant replay in baseball.

So the same people that don't steal or go first-to-third or anything like that when up a few runs late believe you don't concede sh!t? Riiiiiiiight. Be all old school and cool if you want, it's a b!tch move in that situation.

He was out anyway, and this rests on the ump, but it's still a joke.

Meh....you can't fault a guy for staying competitive. Especially a pro who's only focking job is to compete. I mean, Brett Favre laid down for Strahan when he set the sacks record. It still comes up whenever you talk about that particular record, and it devalues it in my opinion.

There really is nothing wrong with having to earn your place in history. Too bad Joyce focked it up for Galaraga.

Someone suggested if he bobbled it, it would be a error and switched to a no-hitter. I wrongly thought if you have no hits, no walks and an error it would still be a perfect game.

However, it definitely wasn't an error, it was an out, plain and simple. There is really nothing anyone can do, we can just keep in mind that Gala has a perfect game.

I agree, i am really disappointed in Leyland and being a pvssy about this. Ozzie, even though he is just a clown, would've broke the censor if he was the manager in this situation.

Theyre talking to him now on ESPN, he's cool as they come. They just showed a good angle the replay where you could see the reaction of the Cleveland players on the bench :doublethumbsup:

Per twitter:

1B ump Jim Joyce said he blew the call that gave Indians Jason Donald a base hit and cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Joyce was distraught. "Most important call of my career and I kicked the s$&t out of it. I cost that kid a perfect game."

Who was the shiitstain who threw out Buerhle for what seemed absolutely no reason?

Joe West.......Cowboy Joe West.

:doublethumbsup:

Same dude who was b!tchin' about the length of Yankees/Sox games earlier in the year.

Per twitter:

1B ump Jim Joyce said he blew the call that gave Indians Jason Donald a base hit and cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Joyce was distraught. "Most important call of my career and I kicked the s$&t out of it. I cost that kid a perfect game."

Pretty man up thing to say...

Pretty man up thing to say...

Its the VERY least he could do, he should get his ass kicked and/or fired, seriously.

Per twitter:

Feel bad for the guy. But at least he was man enough to admit his mistake.

Guess who gets to work homeplate for tomorrow's game. :doublethumbsup:

Joe West.......Cowboy Joe West.

:doublethumbsup:

Same dude who was b!tchin' about the length of Yankees/Sox games earlier in the year.

Joe West is the worst umpire in MLB. Hands down.

Its the VERY least he could do, he should get his ass kicked and/or fired, seriously.

No doubt. Like I said, if I'm pitching in front of all those people, with stuff that good, with that much history on the line, my adrenaline is going to be out of control. If you fock that call up, they're going to have to sew your lips back on your face. It would be stupid in hindsight, but in the moment I'm gonna lose my sh!t and we're gonna have a throwdown on first.

Yep. The best he can hope for is the most anti-climatic no-hitter in the history of MLB.

And looking at another replay....the view from second base....Galaraga caught the ball at the end of his webbing. Not quite a sno-cone, but close enough to the end of the glove that he kinda flipped it deeper into his glove. Not that any of us are ballplayers, but we've all had catches like that, and it's just instinctual to flip it into your glove more....near your palm, in order to secure it. Looks like that's what happened. Thing is, it's pretty obvious Galaraga had the ball. He didn't bobble it at all. It didn't come out of his glove. He just repositioned it inside his glove after he caught it.

Horrible, horrible call.

Is it just me, or are MLB umps especially awful this year? Like, they've always been c0cksuckers....but this year they seem more belligerent and blind than ever before.

the moment the ball stopped in the webbing and his foot was on the base, the game was over. I dun care if he reclutched it 20 times,

it was already over. he had total control over the ball.

No doubt. Like I said, if I'm pitching in front of all those people, with stuff that good, with that much history on the line, my adrenaline is going to be out of control. If you fock that call up, they're going to have to sew your lips back on your face. It would be stupid in hindsight, but in the moment I'm gonna lose my sh!t and we're gonna have a throwdown on first.

Theres just too much on the line at that moment, reminds me there was thread here with some mention about "situational awareness" To blow a call that poorly in that circumstance, how can you not be absolutely prepared to make the right call in that moment, whats to justify one keeping their job? Unbelieveable.

the moment the ball stopped in the webbing and his foot was on the base, the game was over. I dun care if he reclutched it 20 times,

it was already over. he had total control over the ball.

I agree. I was just trying to figure out how the fock he missed that call that badly. Turns out there was no reason. He just blew it. The moment was too big for him.

Someone suggested if he bobbled it, it would be a error and switched to a no-hitter. I wrongly thought if you have no hits, no walks and an error it would still be a perfect game.

However, it definitely wasn't an error, it was an out, plain and simple. There is really nothing anyone can do, we can just keep in mind that Gala has a perfect game.

I agree, i am really disappointed in Leyland and being a pvssy about this. Ozzie, even though he is just a clown, would've broke the censor if he was the manager in this situation.

Watching interviews on FSN-Detroit, according to Leyland, Joyce said(arguement following call) that Donalad beat the throw, nothing about bobbling the ball.

Per twitter:

Galarraga said that Joyce found him after the game and appologized for blowing the call.

Hmmm....i am not a really huge baseball guy so you maybe right. How many perfect games have been blow by an error then? Wow.

No maybe about it dopey.

It would be interesting for Nobody to check in, or anybody (te he) that can/would take the time to figure out the odds of pitching a perfect game.

Im completely fockin retarted as im sure were all aware, but take all the starting pitchers in games in history, divided by amount of perfect games thrown, which is like 21 or something...and whala? What else needs to be accounted for?

It seems like being robbed of it unfairly would be like having a winning lottery ticket stolen right out of your hand....sort of

It would be interesting for Nobody to check in, or anybody (te he) that can/would take the time to figure out the odds of pitching a perfect game.

Im completely fockin retarted as im sure were all aware, but take all the starting pitchers in games in history, divided by amount of perfect games thrown, which is like 21 or something...and whala? What else needs to be accounted for?

It seems like being robbed of it unfairly would be like having a winning lottery ticket stolen right out of your hand....sort of

I'm def not a math cat either, but it seems like there'd have to be more than that.

Is there a way to figure the odds of each individual at bat? Or even pitch? And then factor that in with how many at-bats, pitches, games, etc. occur.

I really have no idea. Someone better with numbers than me (2006) figure this out. Seriously. Or I'll spend all night trying to do it myself and fail miserably.

Im completely fockin retarted as im sure were all aware, but take all the games in history, divided by amount of perfect games thrown, which is like 21 or something...and whala? What else needs to be accounted for?

The National League was founded in 1876. I think it started with 162 games, baseball historians feel free to correct me, i am mainly here for the math. That is 134 years, times 162 games(well, not quite since we are only, what, 55-60 games into this season, but whatever). That is 21708 games played- you would have to times that by the number of teams which has varied. Through some research, don't feel like doing the total math, lets say in the 134 year history there has been an average of 20 teams in the league at any given year. That is a grand total of 434,160 games played, i am sure you could look this number of somewhere but whatever. Lets round up to 450,000 games, there has been 20 perfect games pitched. So the frequency of getting a perfect game is 1 in every 22,500 games, one about every 7 years which checks out to be correct. That is the FREQUENCY. The chances of you getting a perfect game are as good as getting a no hitter, a one hitter, a 10 hitter, a 35 hitter, ect. That is technically speaking obviously. The mathematical chances of a pitcher on any given game of getting a no-hitter are as good as getting a 10-hitter. However, i think most people go by the frequency of an occurrence happening.

Also, you can take into account only 20 pitchers have done that. How many pitchers have started a game in the league ever? Lets say 8 per team per year, avg of 20 teams, over that 134 period. That is about 21,000 different pitchers. 20/20,000 is one in every thousand pitchers pitch a perfect game. That should put it more in perspective.

yahoo answers: since 1900

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Let's find out.

NL 1900-2008 == 172062

NL 2009 (thru 21-May) == 648

AL 1900 == zero

AL 1901-2008 == 172646

AL 2009 (thru 21-May) == 574

NL total == 172730

AL total == 173220

MLB total == 345950

Looks strange, doesn't it? The NL has one additional season of play (in the requested window) and has more teams, 16 to 14. But, the AL was the larger league for a number of seasons (1961, 10 v. 8, and 1977-92, 14 v. 12; the NL only grew larger in 1998, 16 v. 14). So the AL still holds a slight edge in total games played, though that won't last much longer.

But there's a catch. These numbers, courtesy of BaseballReference.com and some futzing around with a market popular spreadsheet app, are team games, not championship games. Each team, in modern times, is scheduled to play 162 games; with 30 franchises, that works out to 4860 games. But not that many are played -- 2430 (or so) are, because there's two teams per game. This bookkeeping doesn't take that into account, so we divide by two.

MLB competition games == 345950 / 2 == 172975. And that includes wins, losses, and the occasional tie -- everything considered official games in championship play.

Postseason? Much simpler.

Division Series (1981, 1995-2008) == 233 games

Championship Series (1969-93, 1995-2008) == 392

World Series (1903, '05-93, 1995-2008) == 603 + 3 (tie games, long ago)

Postseason == 1231 games.

Now go bore your friends with this holiday weekend nugget o' data.

Without a focking doubt. I think Galaraga took it well. I would have destroyed the fockin clubhouse.

At least that blown call didn't cost the Tigers a game. The Twins just got jobbed by the second base ump.

:lol:

Another thing, are there no Philly or As fans on here? I don't think there was a thread about Roy or Braden's perfectos. I thought Roys was the best i have ever seen, though Randy's was close. Gala, considering how little of pitches he needed and the fact that Jackson's monster grab was the only truly well hit ball, would have been also highly impressive, maybe even more than Roy's.

Now it's Verlander's turn, c'mon boy, give the fans the perfecto they got robbed of, and do it in honor of G.

Another thing, are there no Philly or As fans on here? I don't think there was a thread about Roy or Braden's perfectos. I thought Roys was the best i have ever seen, though Randy's was close. Gala, considering how little of pitches he needed and the fact that Jackson's monster grab was the only truly well hit ball, would have been also highly impressive, maybe even more than Roy's.

Now it's Verlander's turn, c'mon boy, give the fans the perfecto they got robbed of, and do it in honor of G.

I think - and I can be wrong - too lazy to look it up - but I think Braden and Roy's perfect games was on a weekend - thus far less people posting here about a live baseball game in the middle of the afternoon.

I think :clap:

I have to say, despite the bad call, it was very refreshing to see how classy both Gallaraga and Joyce were in handling everything.

First off, to hear the young pitcher say he understands that everyone makes mistakes is wise beyond his years. The kid seems to really have his sh*t together.

And I can't remember ever hearing an umpire come out and admit he blew a call like that and seem so genuinely sorry about it.

Selig's going to bail everyone out on this one and give him the perfecto. It may actually be the only thing he ever does for the good of the game.

It's kinda funny that Tiger fans complain about everyone else's errors.

:E6:

I have to say, despite the bad call, it was very refreshing to see how classy both Gallaraga and Joyce were in handling everything.

First off, to hear the young pitcher say he understands that everyone makes mistakes is wise beyond his years. The kid seems to really have his sh*t together.

And I can't remember ever hearing an umpire come out and admit he blew a call like that and seem so genuinely sorry about it.

Agreed... Galarraga and Joyce has been class acts the entire time...

Galarraga just grinning after the call instead of jumping up and down like a child complaining of the call...

Joyce standing there and taking it from Leyland and other Tiger players after the game when he could have just left the field...

Joyce seeing that he messed up wanted to speak to Galarraga personally and apologize that he did in fact blow the call...

Both in their interviews afterwards...

Today when Galarraga hands Joyce the lineup card, Joyce wipes away tears from his eyes and they pat each other on the back...

These two are what is good about sports...

Today when Galarraga hands Joyce the lineup card, Joyce wipes away tears from his eyes and they pat each other on the back...

These two are what is good about sports...

:clap:

Damn....really? That's awesome. Maybe one of the best images in all of sports....ever.

What Obama is to Newbie, Galaraga has become to me. He continues to impress.

:clap:

Damn....really? That's awesome. Maybe one of the best images in all of sports....ever.

What Obama is to Newbie, Galaraga has become to me. He continues to impress.

There is a very good chance that this is his fifteen minutes of fame. He's getting more out of this than if he'd have thrown the third perfect game of the year.

The National League was founded in 1876. I think it started with 162 games, baseball historians feel free to correct me, i am mainly here for the math. That is 134 years, times 162 games(well, not quite since we are only, what, 55-60 games into this season, but whatever). That is 21708 games played- you would have to times that by the number of teams which has varied. Through some research, don't feel like doing the total math, lets say in the 134 year history there has been an average of 20 teams in the league at any given year. That is a grand total of 434,160 games played, i am sure you could look this number of somewhere but whatever. Lets round up to 450,000 games, there has been 20 perfect games pitched. So the frequency of getting a perfect game is 1 in every 22,500 games, one about every 7 years which checks out to be correct. That is the FREQUENCY. The chances of you getting a perfect game are as good as getting a no hitter, a one hitter, a 10 hitter, a 35 hitter, ect. That is technically speaking obviously. The mathematical chances of a pitcher on any given game of getting a no-hitter are as good as getting a 10-hitter. However, i think most people go by the frequency of an occurrence happening.

Also, you can take into account only 20 pitchers have done that. How many pitchers have started a game in the league ever? Lets say 8 per team per year, avg of 20 teams, over that 134 period. That is about 21,000 different pitchers. 20/20,000 is one in every thousand pitchers pitch a perfect game. That should put it more in perspective.

Different way to approach the problem. Let say for the sake of arguement that for MLB, the average On-base % = .300. That would mean on any given at bat, the average pitcher has a 70% chance of recording and out. To get two consecutives outs, his chance drops to 49%. Multiplied by 27 batters would give you a 9.387480337647754e-5 chance of pitching a perfect game.

If I'm approaching this correctly.

Selig's going to bail everyone out on this one and give him the perfecto. It may actually be the only thing he ever does for the good of the game.

Bzzz... Just announced on ESPN that Selig was not going to reverse the call...

The statement...

"As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently. While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed. Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents."