Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

College Conference Realignments

So every conference is now going to have a championship game but we can't have playoffs because it would interfere with going to class?

1 extra week vs. how many weeks?

1 extra week vs. how many weeks?

Depends on how many teams. Most these teams are playing 12 regular season games, plus a conference championship game, when they used to only play 10 or 11. Now with a championship game, the eventual national champ plays 14 games.

As for the Big 10, I'm very happy they're going to even the league up. I honestly think it hurts the teams to have such a long layoff till the bowl games. It also helps the rest of NCAA in the following way: I can remember at least twice that Ohio State was able to move up in the rankings while not playing a game thx to someone losing a league championship when both teams were top 5. As for Nebraska being the choice..couldn't be happier. That's a lot of tradition and a huge fan base coming to the table. I've always been a closet Bugeaters fan from when I was stationed in Omaha. I only hope they can figure out a way to align the divisions/schedule to not take away from OSU/Michigan..even tho Michigan has been balls for the past few years.

Maybe the Big 12 can just pick up like TCU or Utah or something and it will stop here. :banana:

If Boise goes undefeated they have no chance anyway...they are an amazing team...one of the 5 best some years and they can be eliminated before the season even starts. Pretty sad....and it doesn't make their games that "meaningful".

If Boise goes undefeated this season, it's highly likely they'll be playing for the national championship. They're ranked in the preseason top 5 everywhere. I believe they have two early tests in TCU and Oregon State. Win those two games and you'll prolly seem them playing for it all this year.

If Boise goes undefeated this season, it's highly likely they'll be playing for the national championship. They're ranked in the preseason top 5 everywhere. I believe they have two early tests in TCU and Oregon State. Win those two games and you'll prolly seem them playing for it all this year.

They play Virginia Tech at Fedex Field too.

They play Virginia Tech at Fedex Field too.

That's right. That's one of their early games. That and TCU. I think it's TCU that gets Oregon State.

I reviewed all of the schedules a few weeks ago and figured that the most likely teams to be playing for a national title would be Boise, TCU, VT, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

Not gonna happen. CU's already gone to the Pac 10

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-sports/ci_15268160

Texas tried to package Baylor with them and leave Colorado in the cold. Apparently, the Pac 10 said no.

If I was the Pac-10 I would be careful of pissing off Texas. They are the coup de gras. Texas can go to the SEC or Big 10 just as easy (if asked).

ETA: For all the Texas geeks. I realize you guys think Texas as it's own damn contry and stuff, but if you had to choose one of the three, which would you choose of how you more precieve yourself.

1. Southwest

2. Southeast

3. Midwest

how are the fan bases from Oklahoma and Texas going to travel to California or Pacific North West on a regular basis? Or vise versa? Talk about a financial burdon for the parents of these players. They'll never get to watch their kids play an away game.

WTF is going on? This is horrible

If Boise St goes undefeated, they will be sitting at home watching the BCS championship game between a 2 loss SEC team vs a 3 loss SEC team, because too many fagguts around the country think the SEC is God.

how are the fan bases from Oklahoma and Texas going to travel to California or Pacific North West on a regular basis? Or vise versa? Talk about a financial burdon for the parents of these players. They'll never get to watch their kids play an away game.

WTF is going on? This is horrible

I would think they would have a PAC North and a PAC South whereas you play most of your games in your little mini-conference. Therefore Texas, Colorodo, Arizona , ASU, Oaklahoma ect. would be in the South and Washington, Oregon, Stanford, WSU ect. would be in the North.

If I was the Pac-10 I would be careful of pissing off Texas. They are the coup de gras. Texas can go to the SEC or Big 10 just as easy (if asked).

Well, the Big 10 didn't want Texas Tech (which UT wants to bring with them) and now the Pac 10 doesn't want Baylor. They may appear to be the coup de gras but are carrying a lot of baggage. When all is said and done, they're not going to get their way. It looks like they're going to have to abandon at least one or two of the Big 12 south schools they've been carrying or just create a new SWC. Chips are already falling fast.

If Boise St goes undefeated, they will be sitting at home watching the BCS championship game between a 2 loss SEC team vs a 3 loss SEC team, because too many fagguts around the country think the SEC is God.

Not this year, phillybear. The computers may end up putting a one loss team ahead of Boise in the end but the voters won't. Not when Boise's starting the season in the top 5.

ETA: For all the Texas geeks. I realize you guys think Texas as it's own damn contry and stuff, but if you had to choose one of the three, which would you choose of how you more precieve yourself.

1. Southwest

2. Southeast

3. Midwest

That's easy. Texas is part of the Southwest. Fort Worth is considered "where the west begins". Texans are known to hate "easterners" so we can't be called Southeast....It's an easy answer.

As for the rest of your post, yeah Texas is the coup de gras up for grabs right now. And like I said earlier in this thread, Mack Brown says Texas has off the table offers from every conference in the country. They can call their own shot and anyone will take them at anytime.

Not this year, phillybear. The computers may end up putting a one loss team ahead of Boise in the end but the voters won't. Not when Boise's starting the season in the top 5.

They will find some way to screw them.

That's easy. Texas is part of the Southwest. Fort Worth is considered "where the west begins". Texans are known to hate "easterners" so we can't be called Southeast....It's an easy answer.

As for the rest of your post, yeah Texas is the coup de gras up for grabs right now. And like I said earlier in this thread, Mack Brown says Texas has off the table offers from every conference in the country. They can call their own shot and anyone will take them at anytime.

That's what I figured, so the PAC 10 would be the more natural fit per se over the SEC or Big 10. I was just wondering.

They will find some way to screw them.

Good.

Really, seeing the small guy get screwed is about the funniest thing that happens year in and year out in college football.

That's what I figured, so the PAC 10 would be the more natural fit per se over the SEC or Big 10. I was just wondering.

The Big 10 would have been a horrible fit for Texas. SEC or Pac 10 is fine. In name, neither "Pacific" nor anything with "Eastern" work for the Texas schools. But yes Texans considers ourselves part of the West.

As for people worried about the travel to California, Washington, etc. It's a non factor. Probably just 1 trip per season. Teams will play everyone in their own division (7 games) and maybe 2 teams from the other division on a rotating basis for 9 conference games total, 1 of which would be a home game.

I would think they would have a PAC North and a PAC South whereas you play most of your games in your little mini-conference. Therefore Texas, Colorodo, Arizona , ASU, Oaklahoma ect. would be in the South and Washington, Oregon, Stanford, WSU ect. would be in the North.

I read that Arizona and Arizona state would likely be lumped in a division with the new schools and the other original pac-10 teams would be in another division. So it would be a more east and west division.

KSB's conference predictions:

The Big PAC (16)

Washington

WSU

Oregon

Oregon St.

Stanford

UCLA

USC

Cal

ASU

Arizona

Texas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Oaklahoma

Oaklahoma State

Texas Tech

Big 16

Ohio St.

Iowa

PSU

Wisc.

NW

MSU

Purdue

Minny

Illinios

Michigan

Indiana

Nebraska

Missouri

Notre Dame

Rutgers

Pittsburg

ACC (16)

Syracuse

Uconn

West Virgnia

Cinncinatti

BC

VT

Maryland

Virginia

UNC

Duke

NC State

Wake Forest

Clemson

Georgia Tech

Miami

Florida St.

SEC (16)

Florida

Georgia

Louisville

Kentucky

Tennesee

SC

Vandy

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Mississippi St.

Arkanasas

Auburn

Baylor

South Florida

Memphis

SEC (16)

Florida

Georgia

Louisville

Kentucky

Tennesee

SC

Vandy

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Mississippi St.

Arkanasas

Auburn

Baylor

South Florida

Memphis

and why would the SEC really want these three schools?

:dunno:

If anything, the SEC is prolly gonna rape the ACC.

If anything, the SEC is prolly gonna rape the ACC.

exactly - schools would be honored to join the SEC - - they are going to get the pick of the litter

Because the SEC is sitting on their hands and not being proactive in regards to expansion. They are fat and happy thinking they have a good thing now and will have to look for the scraps when the other three go to 16.

Because the SEC is sitting on their hands and not being proactive in regards to expansion. They are fat and happy thinking they have a good thing now and will have to look for the scraps when the other three go to 16.

Is 16 really better than a 12 with an incredible history?

Is 16 really better than a 12 with an incredible history?

History means nothing. It's about money. When the other conferences go to "Super" conferences the last conference to get on board will have to go for the scraps. The SEC looks to be the only one that is just sitting this out right now. Early birds get the worms.

Also it's just one man's guess. But the 16 team Super conferences are more than likely going to happen.

The Big 12 was both sucking and sufficating - I think the move of Texas to the PAC 89 or whatever is going to be exciting........ One thing is for sure, we are less and less likely to see a team or two roll thru the season undefeated. I think there is a huge likelyhood that multiple teams will finish the season with just one loss and be campaigning for their right to play for the National Championship. The move to superpower conferences could really ignite the playoff movement.

History means nothing. It's about money. When the other conferences go to "Super" conferences the last conference to get on board will have to go for the scraps. The SEC looks to be the only one that is just sitting this out right now. Early birds get the worms.

Also it's just one man's guess. But the 16 team Super conferences are more than likely going to happen.

remind me again how much $$$$$$ the SEC signed a deal with last year with ESPN? Money you say?

remind me again how much $$$$$$ the SEC signed a deal with last year with ESPN? Money you say?

That's why nobody will leave the SEC. Not why they will not try to make more money going forward, or try to get to a 16 team number to 'keep up with the Jones" This isn't a my conference versus your conference pissing match. :dunno:

Maybe the SEC raids an ACC for a school or two. That could happen as well. The ACC would just then grab a Big East School or two to replace. The point is the domino's are about to fall and the more proactive you are the better.

The SEC (by way of your post) are fat and happy right now, which might let them stand pat while the rest of the country changes. That's called being complacent.

The Big PAC (16)

Washington

WSU

Oregon

Oregon St.

Stanford

UCLA

USC

Cal

ASU

Arizona

Texas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Oaklahoma

Oaklahoma State

Texas Tech

Big 16

Ohio St.

Iowa

PSU

Wisc.

NW

MSU

Purdue

Minny

Illinios

Michigan

Indiana

Nebraska

Missouri

Notre Dame

Rutgers

Pittsburg

ACC (16)

Syracuse

Uconn

West Virgnia

Cinncinatti

BC

VT

Maryland

Virginia

UNC

Duke

NC State

Wake Forest

Clemson

Georgia Tech

Miami

Florida St.

SEC (16)

Florida

Georgia

Louisville

Kentucky

Tennesee

SC

Vandy

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Mississippi St.

Arkanasas

Auburn

Baylor

South Florida

Memphis

I would replace rutgers with syracuse in the big ten. Not sure if the ACC would even want Rutgers. They may be one of those school left out in the cold.

The ACC is kind of a snobbish conference and VTech was kind of forced down their throats. They like to think they are better academically than the other conferences. I'm not sure if any of those Big East rejects fit their profile. They may want a Pittsburgh or a Syracuse but those schools would more likely join the Big Ten if Notre Dame goes there. Those school also had a traditional rivalry with Penn State before Penn state joined the Big 10.

I also don't think the SEC adds those three bottom schools. I could see them raiding the ACC. Possible targets: Miami, FL state, Georgia Tech and Clemson.

The SEC (by way of your post) are fat and happy right now, which might let them stand pat while the rest of the country changes. That's called being complacent.

Exactly. If the big ten adds Notre Dame and Nebraska, they will likely get a bigger TV contract than the SEC.

SEC (16)

Florida

Georgia

Louisville

Kentucky

Tennesee

SC

Vandy

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Mississippi St.

Arkanasas

Auburn

Baylor

South Florida

Memphis

If your scenario with the Pac-10 works out, I highly doubt that the SEC will settle for the likes of Memphis and Louisville. After all, they already control the market in Tennessee, and Louisville adds nothing in football (which is what the SEC cares about). I think that Baylor probably follows Texas wherever it goes. If the SEC loses out on Texas and Texas A&M, my guess is that they'd turn east and go after (primarily) Miami and Florida State. Why??? Because Florida has a huge population and both teams have some sort of national following.

Assuming the SEC doesn't get Texas and/or Texas A&M, here's how I see the SEC:

SEC EAST:

1. Florida

2. Florida State (from ACC)

3. Georgia

4. Georgia Tech (from ACC)

5. Kentucky

6. Miami (from ACC)

7. South Carolina

8. Tennessee

SEC WEST:

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3. Auburn

4. Houston (from Conference USA)

5. LSU

6. Mississippi State

7. Ole Miss

8. Vanderbilt (from SEC East)

As mentioned earlier, the addition of Miami and Florida State would lock-down the viewership in Florida. The SEC already controls much of the viewership of Georgia; however, acquiring Georgia Tech (and Atlanta viewership) would absolutely lock-down that state as well. In addition, Georgia Tech would probably contribute more revenue to this conference than a team like VTech or Clemson would. Vanderbilt re-locates to the SEC West, which makes no difference in football but drastically improves the terrible SEC West in basketball. The last addition is Houston, a decent football team that adds huge, HUUUGE viewership potential, if the SEC can somehow tap into that city's population -- which I think they'd be willing to take a gamble on.

Basically, secure big viewership (actual & potential) and you can secure the big TV contracts.

Secure big TV contracts and you secure big bags of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It isn't? How often does a team with more than one loss win the national title? How about the Superbowl?

In general, the atmosphere of college sports is better than that of pro sports. Obviously the talent isn't the same, but the rivalries, intensity, etc make it great.

the rivialries are great if you live in the area where the teams play, if not, meh.

the atmoshere is meh too. its created by polls and hype when in fact the ranked teams may not be any good at all in a mere 3 weeks. then some new teams take their place that werent supoposed to be good, but they have no chance to win it all cuz they started too far back in the polls.

the atmoshpere was much better when gameday was on from 10-noon and then marque games came on right after. now they hold on the good games and show them at 3:30 and later and at night.

coup de gras

Why you keep using that phrase? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rumblings now about Oklahoma to the SEC. :bandana:

I really hope we get in good with OU and A&M to help sway Texas to join as well. Although at that point you'd be wasting time to even play a BCS title game. Just hand the SEC champion an extra trophy and save everyone's time.

Big Ten is the cash cow of the NCAA even before these TV deals

SEC: 2.2billion 15yr deal with espn

Big Ten network made 209million in 2009. Twice what it did in 2008 and it's still drastically increasing.

In 10 years the BTN will lap the SECs tv deal. And they own it as well.

it used to be that ND wouldn't join the Big Ten because of their nbc tv deal, they'd lose money. Now the B10 would actually make

them more money.

coup de gras

Why you keep using that phrase? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Probably not. But it's close enough for a fantasy football bored. Close enough that the people reading understood the idea. We aren't building rocket ships over here. Thanks for chiming in though. :bandana:

If it's not to much to ask, if there are any spelling or grammatical errors within this thread could you please let us know. TIA

Probably not. But it's close enough for a fantasy football bored. Close enough that the people reading understood the idea. We aren't building rocket ships over here. Thanks for chiming in though. :bandana:

Plus it soooooo much better than what he used to say...........coup de ville. I mean sheesh he has come a long way. LOL

Big 16

Ohio St.

Iowa

PSU

Wisc.

NW

MSU

Purdue

Minny

Illinios

Michigan

Indiana