Sign in to follow this  
friendlyoooo

iphone 4, buy or not to buy?

Walmart has the Apple iPhone 4 16GB in black or white for $197 with activation of a new AT&T account or eligible upgrade with 2-year contract.

would u buy it or not??

Edited by Mike FF Today
Spamming

No, ATT service is terrible. Verizon is expanding their 3G bandwidth to curbstomp ATT and I believe Verizon and others will get access to Iphones soon.

My 2 yr contract is up in sept, and i will review the new droid with the new OS, and the Iphone 4, whichever is best on the best wireless carrier gets my business.

ATT is as terrible as Sprint was...

My Iphone performance has really gone down the $hitter the last 3-6 months... Requiring lots of hard reboots, issues when 3g service goes in an out, and lots and lots of recent quirky things going on... This product is not as bulletproof as i was led to believe...

My current iphone contract is up in 2011 which is when Verizon is supposively going to start selling them. I think I'll wait.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-22/verizon-likely-to-sell-iphone-in-2011-barclays-says.html

Verizon Likely to Sell IPhone in 2011, Barclays Says

June 22, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT

More From Businessweek

By Crayton Harrison

June 22 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless, the biggest U.S. mobile-phone carrier, will probably begin selling Apple Inc.’s iPhone in early 2011, Barclays Plc said

My current iphone contract is up in 2011 which is when Verizon is supposively going to start selling them. I think I'll wait.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-22/verizon-likely-to-sell-iphone-in-2011-barclays-says.html

Fortune reports on a new research note from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu speculating that Apple's first foray beyond its exclusive relationship with AT&T for the iPhone in the U.S. may be T-Mobile, not Verizon as many observers have been hoping for. Wu's primary support for his claim is the fact that T-Mobile runs a GSM network like AT&T, and while it operates on a different frequency than AT&T's network, both the iPhone 4 and 3GS physically support T-Mobile's 2100 MHz frequency.

While T-Mobile's subscriber base of 34 million users pales in comparison to Verizon's 93 million and thus appears to be a less enticing target for carrier expansion for Apple, the fact that the iPhone is already compatible with T-Mobile's network may go a long way toward swaying Apple. Apple has been rumored, however, to have contracted with Pegatron to manufacture a Verizon-compatible iPhone for release as soon as November of this year, suggesting that developing specialized hardware compatible for Verizon's network may not be as big a hurdle as some observers think.

Wu's note today is by no means the first to suggest T-Mobile as a possible first expansion of iPhone distribution in the U.S., as Wu himself and Thomas Weisel analyst Doug Reid both pointed to the possibility back in December. The following month, Oppenheimer & Co. analyst Tim Horan similarly promoted T-Mobile as being the first carrier beyond AT&T to receive the iPhone, claiming that the expansion would happen this summer.

and

In a very brief response to a question from Beet.tv regarding the iPhone, Verizon spokesman John Johnson notes that the company is not planning to carry the iPhone in the "immediate future", before quickly redirecting the conversation to tout Verizon's new handset offerings.

Q: Let me ask you first of all about Verizon and the iPhone. What is happening, if anything? What is the status?

A: No one ever asks that question. (Smiles) So, no plans to carry the iPhone in the immediate future, but you've gotta look at the incredible excitement around the Android devices...

Johnson's comments are not much of a surprise, considering that he would be unable to divulge any such plans if they did exist, but the footage is making the rounds today as a tempering of expectations for those who might be hoping for a Verizon iPhone announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference next week. One recent report has pegged a Verizon iPhone release for as early as November given reports of the status of the manufacturing testing process with rumored manufacturer Pegatron, although many observers see a 2011 launch to be more likely.

I'm with T-Mobile, because I like them way more than both AT&T and Verizon. I like their rates/plans, and coverage, so maybe I'm bias, but in Europe, T-Mobile already sells iPhones, so it seems like a likely jump here in the US. Especially seeing iPhones use GSM network, which we all know means that they use SIM cards.T-Mobile and AT&T use sim cards. Verizon does not. This would mean a complete rework of the guts of the iphone -vs- just offering it to T-Mobile with absolutely zero modifications.

however, if Verizon were to get the iPhone, I'd leave T-Mobile for them, just because I like apple products that much. So, unless I hear that T-Mobile is getting an iPhone by the time that Verizon get's the iPhone (if indeed they ever do), I'll be jumping ship. There is however no chance that I'd get an iPhone while they are offered only on AT&T, quite possibly the worlds worst cell phone company.

No, ATT service is terrible.

X

I have heard the ATT complaints, but I have had them for over 10 years and I think they have been fine. I never seem to have an issue. My wife once had Sprint and she complained constantly about them.

I have heard the ATT complaints, but I have had them for over 10 years and I think they have been fine. I never seem to have an issue. My wife once had Sprint and she complained constantly about them.

Depends on the area.

In mine, Sprint has been fine, friend has ATT and its weak in his house (less than a mile away from me).

Find the carrier thats best for you and your area, then pick a phone.

i don't get paying all this money for an iphone or an evoc or a droid or whatever the hell else there is. i'm in the market for a new cell phone. i went to target tonight to look at the prepaid kind. saw one for $9. probably get a years worth of calls for $100 or less. i don't get what the point of a fancy phone is. i want to make phone calls not solve world peace or hunger. i don't need to watch TV on my phone. i have a TV. (though the allure of watching TV at work is intriguing, but getting fired is a lot worse). i have a computer to do everything people are using their phones for. why?

Brick phones will make a nostalgic comeback.

i don't get paying all this money for an iphone or an evoc or a droid or whatever the hell else there is. i'm in the market for a new cell phone. i went to target tonight to look at the prepaid kind. saw one for $9. probably get a years worth of calls for $100 or less. i don't get what the point of a fancy phone is. i want to make phone calls not solve world peace or hunger. i don't need to watch TV on my phone. i have a TV. (though the allure of watching TV at work is intriguing, but getting fired is a lot worse). i have a computer to do everything people are using their phones for. why?

I do like to watch TV on it while Im out somewhere if I want.

I like checking scores on it.

I like streaming Pandora at work through it or doing things off my work network.

I use it for far more than just a phone, it really becomes another computer.

AT&T/Apple want to push the new iphone4 and will allow many people to upgrade who wouldn't normally be eligible yet.

If you're currently an AT&T customer and want to know if you are eligible to upgrade to the new phone, simply use your current cell phone and dial "star + NEW + pound sign" (*639#)on your phone keypad and hit 'call'.

You will get a text message telling you if and when you are eligible. You're welcome.

"Just don't hold it like that." --Steve Jobs

:D

Verizon supposedly had an ad for the DroidX in yesterday's WSJ and NYTimes saying "you can hold it any way you want"

http://gizmodo.com/5577316/steve-jobs-to-angry-iphone-4-user-relax-its-just-a-phone

A BGR reader wrote an angry email to an engineer and Steve Jobs about the iPhone 4's antenna problem. Surprisingly, Jobs replied. Repeatedly. And even while countless tests show voice and data problems, Jobs dismisses it all as "rumors".

The angry email exchange comes after Apple acknowledged the problem publicly but sent guidelines to Apple support telling them to deflect the issue. After experiencing those guidelines talking with Apple Care, the BGR reader sent this angry mail to the support engineer with copy to Steve Jobs:

Original mail:

[Apple engineer name redacted],

When we spoke, you would not tell me that there is a fix for this phone?

A friend just sent me this.

I assume there is no fix then. If this is legit, I have lost all respect for apple and just want to go back to Verizon and get a nice Android phone. And don't tell me they have the same issues, all our co-workers with Androids are just mocking us right now…. "Hey, I am going to go in the basement and continue my call. You can use my office on the 2nd floor so you can get a signal". You are going to kill your brand over one product. Apple is coming off arrogant and rude. If there is no fix just tell people so they can return their phones. We have work to do. I have bought just about every apple product made in the last 20 years and this is the 1st time I am ashamed to be a MAC fan.

This is just sickening,

[Tom]

Steve Jobs' reply:

No, you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors. Calm down.

iPhone 4 user:

I am really insulted… "Calm down"…. "rumors"… What arrogance. This is will be marked as the begging of the end of Apple. Seriously, DO THE RIGHT THING. I just had dinner with 3 people who had iPhone 4s we all cant make calls without dropping. There is no rumors it is reality.

Steve Jobs:

You are most likely in an area with very low signal strength.

iPhone 4 user:

Stop with jackass comments. I have has every iphone made. They all had a bad signal but this is the so much worse X3. The whole country is is in a "low signal strength" in reality… all but apple campus and your house it seems? AT&T maps are a joke. I am in "excellent" to "good" coverage and on my iPhone 1, Iphone 3G, and my iPhone 3Gs, I could at least make a telephone call. After all, it is a phone. Iphone 4…. 5 bars….. touch the phone… ZERO bars call drops.

Steve. IT DOES NOT WORK! Geezzz I hope this this is not really you. Are we on a different MHz? I have yet to see an iPhone [4] work in Richmond when you hold it in your hand. It is not "isolated". I was a big fan. But I am done.

Steve Jobs:

You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it.

Steve Jobs' second reply, without BGR reader replying to the previous one:

Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.

—-

First, while I understand the frustration of this and other iPhone 4 users, his language is completely out of tone. But Steve Jobs' replies are not much better.

Not only his statements are contradictory, but they are patronizing. Much worse, they fail to truly acknowledge and address the reality shown by experts and countless iPhone 4 users.

I'm sure that, if Apple came out the first day to clearly explain what is going on, and how they plan to tackle the problem, they wouldn't have had this public backlash—including the incoming lawsuits.

One thing is true, however. It's just a f*cking phone, like I've said before. [bGR]

If you are experiencing antenna problems, you can sign the petition for a free solution.

Send an email to Jesus Diaz, the author of this post, at jesus@gizmodo.com.

...bolded part made me chuckle.