Sign in to follow this  
davebg

Problems with my laminate flooring

So, about 2 yrs ago when I had my kitchen remodeled, we also installed Pergo laminate flooring in the living & dining rooms.

It has not held up well at all. In particular, I have problems near the back of the couch. The couch has plastic nubs on its feet and can sometimes slide around when someone sits down. A few of the boards near the rear legs of the couch have begin to dent and flat-out crack like peanut brittle.

So, I contacted Pergo and initiated a warranty claim. They sent out an inspector. They then denied my claim. According to Pergo, the inspector placed the blame for the damage with the plastic nubs on the feet of my couch. Pergo claims that if I had followed the care instructions below, then I would not have had the damage and that, therefore, it is my fault.

Protect the Floor

While Pergo is remarkably durable, there is of course no such thing as an indestructible flooring material. There are a few simple protective measures that are important to keep your floor looking new.

* To protect your Pergo floor from surface scratches, place walk-off area rugs or mats inside any exterior doorway to collect small bits of gravel that may track in on shoes.

* Use felt floor protectors (available at Pergo retailers) on the legs of chairs, sofas, TV stands, tables and other easily movable furntiture.

* Replace plastic casters on chairs with rubber wheels and lift rather than slide heavy objects across the floor.

Now, if we were talking about some scratches or scuffing, I'd agree with Pergo. However, we are talking about boards that are completely broken. I'm not talking about keeping my floor "looking new"...I'm talking about my floor not looking like someone had just started banging away at my floor with a hammer.

In effect, Pergo is claiming that their flooring cannot handle the regular wear and tear of people using the furniture that they put on their product without additional protection. Apparently, there needs to be a layer of something (felt protectors) between your furniture and Pergo's flooring products to keep said flooring products from failing miserably.

Thankfully, I kept a few boxes of extra flooring, but I'm going to have to pay for a pro to come out and replace the bad boards (and lay out more felt than at a 3rd grade art class.)

All in all, a very disappointing result coming from Pergo. Not only would I NEVER use or recommend their products again, but I plan to tell everyone who will listen about my experience and why they shouldn't install Pergo flooring in their home (unless they plan to protect it by covering the Pergo with a rug of felt.)

Of course, helpful comments or anyone wanting to cheer me up by bringing the funny are always welcome.

i dont see that you have much claim here. since it says to use felt in their instructions and you cant really prove what happened in your case was simply normal wear.

also, laminate :thumbsdown:

i dont see that you have much claim here. since it says to use felt in their instructions and you cant really prove what happened in your case was simply normal wear.

I guess it all depends on your definition of normal wear. I think that I should be able to put a couch on the floor and not have the floor crack and break without applying another material between said couch and floor.

I also need to more closely check out one of the boxes of flooring that I still have. That bit about the felt was from their website. I want to see if it's anywhere on/in the packaging. If not, then I fail to see how I could be held to such a requirement.

I like you your flooring. its easy to clean up whatever misses your wifes chin.

also, I agree with you

I guess it all depends on your definition of normal wear. I think that I should be able to put a couch on the floor and not have the floor crack and break without applying another material between said couch and floor.

I also need to more closely check out one of the boxes of flooring that I still have. That bit about the felt was from their website. I want to see if it's anywhere on/in the packaging. If not, then I fail to see how I could be held to such a requirement.

but its a he said she said type thing. how can you prove you were not abnormally sliding your couch all over the place, children roughhousing maybe or idk. im just saying it isn't something you can prove.

maybe you decided to take a hammer to it like you suggested earlier with the intent to get new flooring for free under the warranty before it expired :dunno:

you're point about checking an old package of it it good though. if there was nothing in or on the box you might have a counter arguement. though i suppose they could always claim its on a single packing slip that accompanies the entire order.

but its a he said she said type thing. how can you prove you were not abnormally sliding your couch all over the place, children roughhousing maybe or idk. im just saying it isn't something you can prove.

maybe you decided to take a hammer to it like you suggested earlier with the intent to get new flooring for free under the warranty before it expired :dunno:

They chose the inspector to send out. His report makes absolutely no allegations of abnormal use, other than not having felt protectors on the nubs of the couch legs.

you're point about checking an old package of it it good though. if there was nothing in or on the box you might have a counter arguement. though i suppose they could always claim its on a single packing slip that accompanies the entire order.

Bought all the flooring at Home Depot. There was no packing slip of any kind. I'd be surprised if the warranty information was not on/in the packaging, but we'll see if the "felt tip" care instructions are there as well.

Where's the part about the neighbor's dog shitting on it? :unsure:

We have had ours for prolly 6 years & it looks good as new. You have to put those protectors on the floor. :thumbsup:

you're focked

We have had ours for prolly 6 years & it looks good as new. You have to put those protectors on the floor. :thumbsup:

you're focked

Ditto. We installed ours in 2003/2004, and nary a problem with it. You do have to use the protectors...they put that information in the instructions for a reason.

HTH.