Sign in to follow this  
Fearsome

Calvin Johnson or Greg Jennings?

I currently own both and have to pick one for my keeper choice at WR. Since both had bad seasons last year I am getting both for tremendous value as a 5th round pick. I like Jennings because of Rodgers and Johnson because of the long term future of Stafford and usually an easier schedule. I am torn. Standard performance and no PPR.

I currently own both and have to pick one for my keeper choice at WR. Since both had bad seasons last year I am getting both for tremendous value as a 5th round pick. I like Jennings because of Rodgers and Johnson because of the long term future of Stafford and usually an easier schedule. I am torn. Standard performance and no PPR.

Id have to go with Johnson on this. Stafford looked pretty good for a rookie last year before he got hurt and showed he is a tough SOB. Sure Rodgers is better then Stafford but look at last year when the Packers put up big numbers and Jennings did not do very much. They have a bunch of weapons. If both Stafford and Johnson are healthy heading into season id role with Megatron :lock:

I think you have to go with the most talented player here regardless of QB play. I'd keep Johnson.

Rotoworld really likes Jennings to bounce back next year, I think it was Evan Silva. But the downside is the way Rodgers spreads the ball around in that offense, which more than any injuries Jennings had last year led to his decline in numbers. An intriguing value pick is James Jones, but of course the guy to have in that passing game, in my opinion, is Jermichael Finley.

Usually an easier schedule?

Yeah...in 2 games. Otherwise they will have basically the exact same schedule.

The two have been pretty close in stats about every year.

You would think CJ would have a better chance at it without the competition around him for the ball that Jennings will have.

talentwise jennings is nowhere near calvin Johnson's level. I don't think this decision is close.

jdon

Calvin in a run away. Jenning could have a similiar season to Calvin this year. Overall Calvin will take off over the next few seasons.

talentwise jennings is nowhere near calvin Johnson's level. I don't think this decision is close.

jdon

Talentwise? BS.

God given size and athletic ability?...Yes, but Johnson has not shown me any more talent than Jennings.

Talentwise? BS.

God given size and athletic ability?...Yes, but Johnson has not shown me any more talent than Jennings.

If CJ was on the Pack, he would be the #1 WR in the NFL, FF or anywhere in this motherfocking galaxy. :banana:

If CJ was on the Pack, he would be the #1 WR in the NFL, FF or anywhere in this motherfocking galaxy. :banana:

Jennings is better able to catch in stride and run after the catch. Calvin Johnson oftentimes jumps up in the air, catches the ball and falls down even when he doesn't need to.

Explain.

When in doubt, go with the WR with the superior QB.

This is why my choice is tough. Rodgers is superior at this point in every way. That is why I wanted to know what you guys felt about the future. I think CJ has the edge here. And the Lions have a last place schedule so they have the Rams, Washington and Tampa Bay so their schedule is easier than the Packers second place schedule who have SF, Philly and Atlanta. I am leaning CJ.

Calvin is the choice both this year and long term---there really is no ceiling with him, especially if Stafford continues to progress...Two seasons ago, Calvin outproduced Jennings with Dan Orfreakinglovsky tossing wobbly potatoes his way---he battled knee issues last season, missed two games, and dealt with Stafford adjusting to life in the NFL and still put up comparable numbers to Jennings, who played in all 16 games...Calvin is a physical freak who is the focal point of an up and coming offense (he is the deep threat, the third down/move the chains receiver, a red zone threat, and one of the Lions best goalline options), while Jennings is a nice player in a good offense filled with multiple good options for Rodgers to choose from...Calvin is used like Andre Johnson is in the Texans offense while Jennings is used more like Colston is in the Saints offense, meaning that Calvin will get his opportunities week in and week out, while Jennings' opportunities will be more based on Rodgers taking what the defense gives him and getting the ball to whichever option is open, be that Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley, etc...

Take Calvin.

Rotoworld really likes Jennings to bounce back next year, I think it was Evan Silva. But the downside is the way Rodgers spreads the ball around in that offense, which more than any injuries Jennings had last year led to his decline in numbers. An intriguing value pick is James Jones, but of course the guy to have in that passing game, in my opinion, is Jermichael Finley.

Evan Silva is the worst fantasy writer of them all, so if he's picking Greg Jennings to bounce back, I'm taking Donald Driver.

This is why my choice is tough. Rodgers is superior at this point in every way. That is why I wanted to know what you guys felt about the future. I think CJ has the edge here. And the Lions have a last place schedule so they have the Rams, Washington and Tampa Bay so their schedule is easier than the Packers second place schedule who have SF, Philly and Atlanta. I am leaning CJ.

The schedule does not affect 3 games.

It only affects 2.

Both teams play Philly and Washington (they play the entire NFC East this year).

So yes...their schedule is slightly easier based on those two games...the only two affected by last year's standings.

BTW...last year, the Falcons were not a great passing defense anyway...worse than the Rams as far as yards and TDs given up.

SF gave up yards but not a lot of TDs...Tampa gave up TDs but was better against yardage.

I don't think those two games will amount to any differences.

Jennings

Packers offense should be an elite group for years to come.

Lions? Hard to say.

They were Elite last year and Jennings wasn't a #1 WR. Jennings had a weird season.

Jennings has to fight for catches with Driver and now Jermichael Finley. Megatron has to fight for catches with Nate Burleson.

Wow, what a dumb focking question. CJ, far and away, not even close, anyone who says otherwise needs to be sodomized by the world's most endowed elephant.

Wow, what a dumb focking question. CJ, far and away, not even close, anyone who says otherwise needs to be sodomized by the world's most endowed elephant.

Hey Francis...It is just a question. Don't rip me for asking something VERY legit. Look at the numbers man. Since CJ's first season in 2007 Jennings has outscored Johnson 505-456. Including two of those three seasons. Show me how "it is not even close". Stats don't lie focker.

It's a very legit question and I'm in the minority view point here.

This year I like Jennings significantly more. Long term I would probably lean towards Calvin but it's close. Rogers will be an elite QB for years. Yes, there is some competition for catches in GB but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing and Driver only has so many years left.

Calvin on the other hand plays for one of the most inept franchises in NFL history. Yes, there are a few signs that things could get better but I'm not anywhere close to sold on Stafford. I don't like the way they used CJ in their offense last year either. And while Johnson's is an athletic freak, his body type and the way he leaves his feet so much at his size concerns me as someone who could be more apt to battle injuries. And no I'm not really in the business of predicting injuries but that's a small thing that sits in the back of my mind based on a couple of things.

Not sure what your situation or league set up is but if you can only keep one I would consider trying to see what I could get for Calvin in a trade. There is obviously a strong temptation to keep him as well. In a league full of athletic freaks, he is a guy that truly stands out. But we have seen all too often where, for a multitude of reasons, a guy who should dominate and have a HOF career never quite puts it together. Not saying that's the case but I think it's a greater possibility than others here seem to suggest.

It's a very legit question and I'm in the minority view point here.

This year I like Jennings significantly more. Long term I would probably lean towards Calvin but it's close. Rogers will be an elite QB for years. Yes, there is some competition for catches in GB but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing and Driver only has so many years left.

Calvin on the other hand plays for one of the most inept franchises in NFL history. Yes, there are a few signs that things could get better but I'm not anywhere close to sold on Stafford. I don't like the way they used CJ in their offense last year either. And while Johnson's is an athletic freak, his body type and the way he leaves his feet so much at his size concerns me as someone who could be more apt to battle injuries. And no I'm not really in the business of predicting injuries but that's a small thing that sits in the back of my mind based on a couple of things.

Not sure what your situation or league set up is but if you can only keep one I would consider trying to see what I could get for Calvin in a trade. There is obviously a strong temptation to keep him as well. In a league full of athletic freaks, he is a guy that truly stands out. But we have seen all too often where, for a multitude of reasons, a guy who should dominate and have a HOF career never quite puts it together. Not saying that's the case but I think it's a greater possibility than others here seem to suggest.

Thanks for the solid reply VaTerp. I can only keep one (I can also keep Steve Smith-NYG for a 2nd round pick) and we cannot trade until after the draft. This decision is becomming tougher by the day but as of now I am leaning CJ.