Sign in to follow this  
Scalesse27

Draft Buddy on a macbook

Hey Mike,

This is my 8th year purchasing the CC/DB combo and as always you guys do a tremendous job. However, I have run into a dilemma this year. My pc laptop from college has finally crapped out, and I've been persuaded by several friends/family members to make the switch to Mac, so I'm in the market for a macbook. I already have a license for office 2008, and from what I've heard/read, office 2008 on macs don't support macros in the Visual Basic Editor pc format. Obviously, I understand that I won't be able to compile cheatsheets on the mac because that uses a macro. However, I still have a pc desktop, so I can run my final cheatsheet on there and basically use my macbook to "read" the cheatsheets only. The question I have is with the Draft Buddy. Will I be able to run the Draft Buddy and make all of the picks during my draft using my macbook? Or do I need macros enabled to do all that stuff on the Draft Buddy?

Thanks for your time,

Steve "Skunk" Scalesse

Hey Mike,

This is my 8th year purchasing the CC/DB combo and as always you guys do a tremendous job. However, I have run into a dilemma this year. My pc laptop from college has finally crapped out, and I've been persuaded by several friends/family members to make the switch to Mac, so I'm in the market for a macbook. I already have a license for office 2008, and from what I've heard/read, office 2008 on macs don't support macros in the Visual Basic Editor pc format. Obviously, I understand that I won't be able to compile cheatsheets on the mac because that uses a macro. However, I still have a pc desktop, so I can run my final cheatsheet on there and basically use my macbook to "read" the cheatsheets only. The question I have is with the Draft Buddy. Will I be able to run the Draft Buddy and make all of the picks during my draft using my macbook? Or do I need macros enabled to do all that stuff on the Draft Buddy?

Thanks for your time,

Steve "Skunk" Scalesse

I didn't know your nickname is Skunk. After all these years we're still learning new things about each other.

There are macros in Draft Buddy too. First off, the Setup Draft Buddy macro that pulls the stuff from the Compiler. You could potentially do that on your PC too.

But, the draft player buttons in Buddy also involve a macro which copies the player you want to draft from the cheatsheets over to the draft input tab.

I'm going to go try something and I'll report back.

I didn't know your nickname is Skunk. After all these years we're still learning new things about each other.

There are macros in Draft Buddy too. First off, the Setup Draft Buddy macro that pulls the stuff from the Compiler. You could potentially do that on your PC too.

But, the draft player buttons in Buddy also involve a macro which copies the player you want to draft from the cheatsheets over to the draft input tab.

I'm going to go try something and I'll report back.

Ok, Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately no dice on what I was trying. Here is the summary:

1. If you had Draft Buddy setup for your league, then I think it is possible to manage through a draft with it but you cannot use the Draft Player buttons. The only way to pick a player would be the drop-downs on the draft input tab - which are a little annoying to have to use them constantly. (Although interestingly enough, this was the only way to do it in the very early years of Draft Buddy's existence.)

2. I looked at AppleScript programming to re-create the Visual Basic macros for Mac Office 2008, but the problem is AppleScript cannot be triggered from inside the spreadsheet file. From what I can tell, it would be extremely cumbersome to use an AppleScript to perform something like Draft Player, especially over and over again through a draft.

3. I looked at OpenOffice as an option, which would be a completely separate version of the Compiler and Buddy (and require people to install OO on their computers), but the Visual Basic is not supported, and the Basic programming for OO is difficult and I was not making good progress with that.

Sorry. Still banging my head against a wall about this issue after 2 years and now our 3rd season dealing with this. :wall:

1. If you had Draft Buddy setup for your league, then I think it is possible to manage through a draft with it but you cannot use the Draft Player buttons. The only way to pick a player would be the drop-downs on the draft input tab - which are a little annoying to have to use them constantly. (Although interestingly enough, this was the only way to do it in the very early years of Draft Buddy's existence.)

2. I looked at AppleScript programming to re-create the Visual Basic macros for Mac Office 2008, but the problem is AppleScript cannot be triggered from inside the spreadsheet file. From what I can tell, it would be extremely cumbersome to use an AppleScript to perform something like Draft Player, especially over and over again through a draft.

3. I looked at OpenOffice as an option, which would be a completely separate version of the Compiler and Buddy (and require people to install OO on their computers), but the Visual Basic is not supported, and the Basic programming for OO is difficult and I was not making good progress with that.

Sorry. Still banging my head against a wall about this issue after 2 years and now our 3rd season dealing with this. :wall:

Thank you again Mike. Option 1 should be doable.

As usual, you're answering my questions in your forums before I ever get to ask them. Option 1 will be the way to go for me, but I usually just type in the player as they are drafted instead of using the drop down (at least in the later rounds of the draft). Hopefully Apple or Microsoft will address this issue at some point so it's not your problem to try to figure out. Thanks again for pumping out a great product year after year Mike!

As usual, you're answering my questions in your forums before I ever get to ask them. Option 1 will be the way to go for me, but I usually just type in the player as they are drafted instead of using the drop down (at least in the later rounds of the draft). Hopefully Apple or Microsoft will address this issue at some point so it's not your problem to try to figure out. Thanks again for pumping out a great product year after year Mike!

Hey RS. Thought I saw your name come across the wire today when I was on the road. Not you too! Sucked in by the Apple marketing! Okay, I don't mind the ads either, and this is really Microsoft's fault (big surprise).

Apparently, Microsoft is putting Visual Basic support back in the next version of Office - Office 2011 - so not in time for this year. I think it is due out around Christmas.

Given all the Excel users I've helped create over the years, they should just let us make Excel 2004 available for download ;)

Hey RS. Thought I saw your name come across the wire today when I was on the road. Not you too! Sucked in by the Apple marketing! Okay, I don't mind the ads either, and this is really Microsoft's fault (big surprise).

Apparently, Microsoft is putting Visual Basic support back in the next version of Office - Office 2011 - so not in time for this year. I think it is due out around Christmas.

Given all the Excel users I've helped create over the years, they should just let us make Excel 2004 available for download ;)

Hey Mike,

I set up Draft Buddy for my draft on Monday using my Windows computer at my office. I emailed the workbook home and just opened it on the Mac and found a pretty scary Excel message waiting for me.

"This workbook contains content that could not be converted because it is not supported in this version of Excel. Some data from the workbook may be missing because of the following issues:

Data beyond 65,536 rows by 254 (IV) columns.

To view the unsupported content in the file, open the original workbook in Excel 2008."

So, the obvious question is - is there data beyond those rows that's going to cause any problems for me on draft day? The league size is 16 teams X 20 roster spots if that is a factor. Is this something that I can get around by saving it as an earlier version of excel on the PC before I transfer to the Mac?

Thanks, as always, for your help with this stuff!

Rob

Hey Rob. No, there is nothing beyond those boundaries. No idea why Excel thinks there might be, but I just proceed past that message when it occassionally happens to me. Haven't had a problem with it yet. It occurs when converting the Excel 2007 version file back to an Excel '97-03 file, I believe.

Hey Rob. No, there is nothing beyond those boundaries. No idea why Excel thinks there might be, but I just proceed past that message when it occassionally happens to me. Haven't had a problem with it yet. It occurs when converting the Excel 2007 version file back to an Excel '97-03 file, I believe.

Does it make sense to save the Draft Buddy file to an older excel version before I send it to the mac?

I think so. The Mac won't read the .xlsm file format.