Sign in to follow this  
davebg

Just ordered my Droid

I've been a huge fan of my iPhone. It has been the single greatest device that I have EVAH owned. Unfortunately, because it's tied to AT&T, it has also been the worst cell phone that I've ever owned.

So, today I made the switch and ordered the HTC Incredible from Verizon.

I will miss the effortless syncing of my iPhone and the games (games on Droid aren't quite where they are on the iPhone.) I also will miss the Retina display on the iPhone4 (the HD screen is the best I've seen in a mobile phone.)

However, with the Droid I get to fully customize my phone and because it's on Verizon, I will actually be able to use it as a phone (and finally ditch my land line.)

I decided to pay the extra $70 up front for a 1 yr contract instead of 2. So, ten months from now when the iPhone5 is announced I will be getting close to my upgrade date and will have that option open to me. In the meantime, Google gets a year to impress me.

The craziest thing about all of these phones is that you literally can't just walk into a store and buy one. They can't get enough screens to make the phones. This weekend, in the NYC area you literally couldn't find an iPhone4, HTC Evo (didn't look that hard b/c I'm not a fan of Sprint), HTC Incredible or Droid X. The Apple store had folks who had a reservation for a phone standing in line. Verizon is promising that the Incredible and the X will ship no later than 8/3.

You know, for a country that's in a recession, it's kind of crazy that you can't get your hand on a gadget that costs $200 or more and requires you to commit to thousands of dollars in fees via a 1 or 2 yr contract.

You know, for a country that's in a recession, it's kind of crazy that you can't get your hand on a gadget that costs $200 or more and requires you to commit to thousands of dollars in fees via a 1 or 2 yr contract.

That's cuz they are being assembled by 8 year olds in Bangledesh. :music_guitarred:

That's cuz they are being assembled by 8 year olds in Bangledesh. :music_guitarred:

you wish apple spent the big money on Bangledeshian kids. all taiwanese all the time.

Funny you should post this. My crackberry's key bored focked up so I tried to fix it and destroyed it even more. I'm going to look at the Droid tomorrow.

Made the switch from BB tour to the droid X. The only thing I don't like is the email isn't as good and I do miss the keyboard but I'm getting better using swype every day

Have had the Sprint HTC Evo version for about a month or so. I am on my second one, they sent a firmware update that focked up most phones.....had the new one for a day so, so far no issues.

Phone is great other than that crap I had to deal with, would just navigate screens, make calls, go to voice mail and type by istelf, any gps app would reboot the thing....was a real pain in the ass.

Funny you should post this. My crackberry's key bored focked up so I tried to fix it and destroyed it even more. I'm going to look at the Droid tomorrow.

Get the Droid X if you're going the Google Android OS. PM if you want more details.

Get the Droid X if you're going the Google Android OS. PM if you want more details.

Strongly considered the X, but it's too big to be comfortable in my pocket. Plus, I'd have to root it immediately b/c the Moto skin is teh suck.

Trading my iphone 3G for the awesome iphone 4 as soon as they get the reception issue worked out. Can't wait. My nephew has it and it is remarkable.

The retina display screen is the best thing out there, but as long as it's on AT&T I just can't.

The retina display screen is the best thing out there, but as long as it's on AT&T I just can't.

I've heard about AT&T's coverage being spotty. In my area, I have great reception everywhere. Never drop calls and have 3G all the time. Depends where you live and work I suppose.

HTC Evo 4 owner - sickest phone I've ever owned. I see the new IPhone4 and like the compactness of it - but I love the giant screen on the Evo. Plus it's fast as **** when I do get 4G.

It is nice...but right there with it is the new Samsung's screen. The Galaxy S line that is slowly coming out on all carriers.

Love the droid. Have had the EVO for about 3 weeks now. Still just scratching the surface on what this thing can do.

Size is actually not a problem (to the one who said the X was too big). I actually find the extra size keeps it more "stable" in my pocket. My old Samsung Instict would slide around and end up sideways in my pocket. The EVO is wide enough it does not slide around and stays upright.

AT&T is the only of the providers that works everywhere in my home town and on the highway between home and work.

I have never had a problem with them, then again I never had an iPhone, nor will I ever.

I've heard about AT&T's coverage being spotty. In my area, I have great reception everywhere. Never drop calls and have 3G all the time. Depends where you live and work I suppose.

Last I checked/synced (before the weekend) I had 150 dropped calls in 111 days.

It is nice...but right there with it is the new Samsung's screen. The Galaxy S line that is slowly coming out on all carriers.

Seen it. The Super AMOLED screen is REAL nice (I might have waited for the Galaxy S on Verizon if it came with more than 2GB internal memory), but it's not HD like the Retina Display on the iPhone4.

So let me send ahead my area has really good tmobile coverage and I had been using them for some time now so I am getting grandfathered in with my old plan. I bought the samsung galaxy s class phone from them (called the vibrant). I played with the Droid X the day it came out for an hour or so, really nice phone if you value the vzw network thats the one I would go with, close second being the HTC Incredible, either of the VZW phones are somewhat hard to come by....

Couple of things worth noting, the SuperAmoled display of the Samsung is nothing short of amazing, black levels are _awesome_ also the 4 inch screen is at the sweet spot for me, tried the 3.7,4.3 and 4.0.

I rooted it the other day as well allowing me to uninstall unwanted stuff, as well as underclocking it when its idle (saving battery),etc.

DroidX CPU performance was stunning - no hesitations switching screens under any circumstances. It's case is made from metal feels very solid (unlike the Samsung unfortunately).

One thing worth noting for the geeks is that the DroidX comes with an encrypted bootloader which will make it unlikely that there will be custom ROM's for it down the road. The Motorola Milestone which uses the same technology and has been out for 7 months has the same issue.

Also Retina display bah humbug, marketing gimmick. How about apple making a phone which is reliable and does what its supposed to do, make phone calls and not drop you if you hold it wrong.

So let me send ahead my area has really good tmobile coverage and I had been using them for some time now so I am getting grandfathered in with my old plan. I bought the samsung galaxy s class phone from them (called the vibrant). I played with the Droid X the day it came out for an hour or so, really nice phone if you value the vzw network thats the one I would go with, close second being the HTC Incredible, either of the VZW phones are somewhat hard to come by....

Couple of things worth noting, the SuperAmoled display of the Samsung is nothing short of amazing, black levels are _awesome_ also the 4 inch screen is at the sweet spot for me, tried the 3.7,4.3 and 4.0.

I rooted it the other day as well allowing me to uninstall unwanted stuff, as well as underclocking it when its idle (saving battery),etc.

DroidX CPU performance was stunning - no hesitations switching screens under any circumstances. It's case is made from metal feels very solid (unlike the Samsung unfortunately).

One thing worth noting for the geeks is that the DroidX comes with an encrypted bootloader which will make it unlikely that there will be custom ROM's for it down the road. The Motorola Milestone which uses the same technology and has been out for 7 months has the same issue.

Also Retina display bah humbug, marketing gimmick. How about apple making a phone which is reliable and does what its supposed to do, make phone calls and not drop you if you hold it wrong.

Loved everything about the Galaxy S class of phones.

Still love my EVO though...I thought about holding out for the EPIC on Sprint...but the keyboard on it (the only Galaxy S with a keyboard I think) was a dealbreaker.

I debated between the iphone and the galaxy s phone (called captivate on att) and i think i'm gonna go with the samsung. I like android slightly better than ios. The customizable home screens and all that.

I'm on a family plan with my parents so for unlimited texting, internet, and minutes i only $30. So i'm stuck with att as long as i'm part of the family plan.

If anyone is interested in the galaxy s, they sell it for $50 less at walmart. $148

I debated between the iphone and the galaxy s phone (called captivate on att) and i think i'm gonna go with the samsung. I like android slightly better than ios. The customizable home screens and all that.

I'm on a family plan with my parents so for unlimited texting, internet, and minutes i only $30. So i'm stuck with att as long as i'm part of the family plan.

If anyone is interested in the galaxy s, they sell it for $50 less at walmart. $148

Just wanted to clarify I am pretty sure you are saying $148 with a 2 year contract?

You can buy most versions of the Galaxy S phones for $499 outright. (which at least on t-mobile results in not having to commit to a contract and also having cheaper monthly costs).

This.

I've heard all the horror stories about AT&T and the iPhone. But I've never had any problems with mine. :dunno: