Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Tell stories of draft day ridicule

We all do it or think it. Someone reaches in the draft and we snicker silently or maybe even outwardly mock them for their blatant stupidity. Only to watch that guy go on to be next years first round pick. Id like to point out that I have a strict policy for judging reaches...If you take a guy that could 99 percent of the time be there later, you reached. An example I use is this: If a magic genie or god told you that toby gerhart would lead the league in rushing, id still wait awhile to get him so that way I have other players AND gerhart. AS opposed to getting gerhart in the 1st or 2nd round even tho i kno he will lead the league.

Anyway...Lets hear some stories about the "slow" or "bad" drafters in ur league that always seem to reach for the right guys or make the seemingly awful draft mistakes that pan out.Ill start with a few good ones..

2yrs ago...the usual suspect rattles off his group of 5th rounders all the way down the line, he ends up drafting only 1 qb the whole draft...Aaron rodgers. Think about this, its rodgers first year starting and there are more than a few question marks, and he drafts him as his only qb! He goes on to much success as rodgers tears up the league.

Same drafter, 1yr ago...takes ray rice in the late 3rd rnd. (after we see willis vulture a ton of tds the year before.) a few of us snicker and roll our eyes as he passes up "better" options. He also took rodgers again this time in the late 1st. Needless to say he yet again has a productive season with 2 of the years best players.

Sounds more like issues with you and the rest of your league than him. Ray rice went third round as expected in my league. Research!

Sounds more like issues with you and the rest of your league than him. Ray rice went third round as expected in my league. Research!

It was more that he passed up a few good picks that fell rather than the time rice was taken.

Last year an owner took Aaron Rodgers in the high 2nd. I wouldn't say there were snickers but some others definitely thought it was a reach, myself included.

There were some snickers last year when I took Derrick Ward in the 3rd round. But not much crow, since he sucked and I cut him within about a month.

Made up for it with Ray Rice in the 5th though. :thumbsup:

We all do it or think it. Someone reaches in the draft and we snicker silently or maybe even outwardly mock them for their blatant stupidity. Only to watch that guy go on to be next years first round pick. Id like to point out that I have a strict policy for judging reaches...If you take a guy that could 99 percent of the time be there later, you reached. An example I use is this: If a magic genie or god told you that toby gerhart would lead the league in rushing, id still wait awhile to get him so that way I have other players AND gerhart. AS opposed to getting gerhart in the 1st or 2nd round even tho i kno he will lead the league.

Anyway...Lets hear some stories about the "slow" or "bad" drafters in ur league that always seem to reach for the right guys or make the seemingly awful draft mistakes that pan out.Ill start with a few good ones..

2yrs ago...the usual suspect rattles off his group of 5th rounders all the way down the line, he ends up drafting only 1 qb the whole draft...Aaron rodgers. Think about this, its rodgers first year starting and there are more than a few question marks, and he drafts him as his only qb! He goes on to much success as rodgers tears up the league.

Same drafter, 1yr ago...takes ray rice in the late 3rd rnd. (after we see willis vulture a ton of tds the year before.) a few of us snicker and roll our eyes as he passes up "better" options. He also took rodgers again this time in the late 1st. Needless to say he yet again has a productive season with 2 of the years best players.

When do you draft? Can you let us know who he takes this year?

Took Ray Rice in the late 3rd in a 14 teamer and was laughed at by much of league. Thanks to a Ravens insider on this board, I knew they were all in for a big surprise.

I took Rodgers in the mid 1st rd last year (1 player keeper league, so it was really like taking him in the early 2nd in a way). I got a lot of "WAY TOO EARLY's", but I just had a gut feeling about him. I thought he had a very good year in 2008 that flew under the radar of a lot of owners that didnt have him and when he had that 5 td pre-season game it was obvious to me he was the next stud QB. I HAD to have him. It was very gratifying to have him end the year as the #1 player in fantasy.

Could I have waited and gotten him in the mid 2nd rd? Maybe, but I had a suspicion another owner was coveting Rodgers as well and didnt want to risk it.

fyi - The player I'd reach for this year just to make sure I get him is J. Charles (maybe in the late 1st rd). Laugh all you want...

fyi - The player I'd reach for this year just to make sure I get him is J. Charles (maybe in the late 1st rd). Laugh all you want...

Agree with this. I have a dilemma like this in my 1-keeper league (keeping Mendenhall). The top two players on the board will be Gore and AJ, and I'll be at 1.2. Actually having a tough time choosing between AJ/Gore and Charles, since I know he won't make it back around to 2.11.

I think if AJ falls to 1.2, I take him...but if it's Gore sitting there, I might very well go Charles. Call me crazy.

Agree with this. I have a dilemma like this in my 1-keeper league (keeping Mendenhall). The top two players on the board will be Gore and AJ, and I'll be at 1.2. Actually having a tough time choosing between AJ/Gore and Charles, since I know he won't make it back around to 2.11.

I think if AJ falls to 1.2, I take him...but if it's Gore sitting there, I might very well go Charles. Call me crazy.

I'm at 1.6 in a 14-team league and seriously considering dealing down to 13 in the hopes that I can walk away with Greene and Charles as my 1-2.

Mine worked the other way...I play things pretty close to the vest on draft day, but got a bit bold and said I had surprise QB in my top 5. I then watched joyfully as QB after QB flew and I'm about to get Schaub, who I had pegged for top 5, in the early 7th round. It's a 10 teamer, so the rosters are a bit loaded....but that was after I had stocked up on Jones-Drew/Gore/Ray Rice (all top 5 by season end) and Jennings/Boldin/Brandon Marshall (Boldin turned to be a miss...but no matter) I thanked the guys before making my pick and got ridiculed for waiting so long for a scrub at the highest scoring position in our league. Schaub was my TJ "Championship" Housmandzedah moment.

Edgerrin James Rookie year. 16 team league. Guy wants to take Edge with the 5th overall pick of the draft till i tell him to wait he can get him much later. The guy waits till the 2nd round comes and he takes Edge!! We all laugh.... Well Edge ended up having a great year....

Happens every year with me. I drafted Cedric Benson last year (not sure of the round, it wasn't even that early) as he was the only feature back left. I won the championship with him as my #3 back! I also had Bernard Scott for when he got hurt. Chris Johnson's rookie year i took him in one of the last 3 rounds. I ended up trading him because I didn't think he'd keep up the good work but it still worked out. Last year I took DeSean Jackson again, I cant remember what round, and we play in a yardage heavy league). I knew he was boom or bust but he was boom last year. All 3 players I got laughed at. Worked out for me.

Happens every year with me. I drafted Cedric Benson last year (not sure of the round, it wasn't even that early) as he was the only feature back left. I won the championship with him as my #3 back! I also had Bernard Scott for when he got hurt. Chris Johnson's rookie year i took him in one of the last 3 rounds. I ended up trading him because I didn't think he'd keep up the good work but it still worked out. Last year I took DeSean Jackson again, I cant remember what round, and we play in a yardage heavy league). I knew he was boom or bust but he was boom last year. All 3 players I got laughed at. Worked out for me.

You've got some really lame friends if they laughed at you for those picks.

Unless Benson was pretty early, there was nothing wrong with draftng him last year.

CJ was drafted In most leagues his rookie year so I don't know why they would think the last 3 rounds was funny.

Jackson same as Benson....totally draftable so unless it was super early.

Uh - I think you guys are missing the other side of the coin, with this thread.

I remember back in .. 1996? - I attended a live draft party. I got invited through a friend of mine, so I didn't know too many other Team Owners. Well - one player picked WAS WR Bucky Brooks, in the third round!!! He wasn't even on a team's roster, I don't think. This team owner obviously went off of a FF Annual with literally just the prior year's statistics (he did have 10 TDs), or one of the first internet stat sheets.

EVERYONE in room either guffawed, or yelled "GREAT pick!!!" The poor team owner was CLUELESS. Classic moment!

(From what I remember, I grabbed GB WR2 A. Freeman in a late round - and I got somewhat laughed at. Until GB WR1 Brooks went down around game 4, and Freeman lit up the league, and then signed a big-$ contract the following off-season.)

Uh - I think you guys are missing the other side of the coin, with this thread.

I remember back in .. 1996? - I attended a live draft party. I got invited through a friend of mine, so I didn't know too many other Team Owners. Well - one player picked WAS WR Bucky Brooks, in the third round!!! He wasn't even on a team's roster, I don't think. This team owner obviously went off of a FF Annual with literally just the prior year's statistics (he did have 10 TDs), or one of the first internet stat sheets.

EVERYONE in room either guffawed, or yelled "GREAT pick!!!" The poor team owner was CLUELESS. Classic moment!

(From what I remember, I grabbed GB WR2 A. Freeman in a late round - and I got somewhat laughed at. Until GB WR1 Brooks went down around game 4, and Freeman lit up the league, and then signed a big-$ contract the following off-season.)

Ha ha, that is good stuff.

I remember my first time playing FFB in 1999. I had no clue how it worked and my only preparation was buying a FFB magazine the day of the draft. I was playing with a bunch of my high school buddies who had been playing in the same league for a few years.

I had the 10th pick and took Cunningham and Freeman (I believe both were #1 at their position the previous year). Both were okay picks I guess, but I had no idea how important RB were.

The really bad pick came in the 3rd round when I selected Garrison Hearst. Not a bad pick based on his ranking, but I had no idea he was out for the year….oops! I got killed for that.

Here’s the funny thing. It was a TD only league (I think we got bonuses for yardage, but it was really TD heavy) and I ended up winning the league despite my first 3 picks doing nothing (Cunningham got hurt and Freeman scored less than half the TD he did the year before) because of guys like Leroy Hoard and Derrick Mayes. Hoard scored 10 TDs while by vultering them from 1000 yard rusher Robert Smith, and Derrick Mayes scored 10 TDs….his highest career total by far. The funny thing is that I drafted both of those guys when there is no way either of them should have been drafted. My buddies were killing me the whole night. They were so pissed when I won the title with the biggest fluke team.

Had a team of 2 guys draft Fuad Reveiz (in the 11th round of 18) the day after he retired from the NFL.

Hilarity ensued and we still sh1t on them to this day.

2007 IDP Dynasty Rookie Draft...

Adrian Peterson went # 1....

Calvin Johnson went # 2.....

# 3 PATRICK WILLIS !!!!!!! Well this guy heard it LIKE NO OTHER from most owners in the league....with Marshawn Lynch the consensus #3 pick sitting there 7 the likes of Ted Ginn, Dwayne Bowe, Dwayne Jarrett, Brandon Jackson, JamArcus Russell off the top off my head still on the board...

Needless to say the guy has been a fantasy all-pro all 3 years in my league, has led the way for his #1 ranked defense 2 of the past 3 years (which brings back cash $), and has won the defensive player of the year twice which is also cash prize...

We Mock What We Don't Understand ;)

Wow... Derrick Mayes?!?

I actually had to hit my stack of old FF annuals to research THAT one! Yup - he had 10 TDs that year; good for you! // Freeman still had 6 TDs and 1,000+ yard that year - not too shabby.

LOVE the Fraud Reveiz (? sp) comment, too!

Ha ha, that is good stuff.

I remember my first time playing FFB in 1999. I had no clue how it worked and my only preparation was buying a FFB magazine the day of the draft. I was playing with a bunch of my high school buddies who had been playing in the same league for a few years.

I had the 10th pick and took Cunningham and Freeman (I believe both were #1 at their position the previous year). Both were okay picks I guess, but I had no idea how important RB were.

The really bad pick came in the 3rd round when I selected Garrison Hearst. Not a bad pick based on his ranking, but I had no idea he was out for the year….oops! I got killed for that.

Here’s the funny thing. It was a TD only league (I think we got bonuses for yardage, but it was really TD heavy) and I ended up winning the league despite my first 3 picks doing nothing (Cunningham got hurt and Freeman scored less than half the TD he did the year before) because of guys like Leroy Hoard and Derrick Mayes. Hoard scored 10 TDs while by vultering them from 1000 yard rusher Robert Smith, and Derrick Mayes scored 10 TDs….his highest career total by far. The funny thing is that I drafted both of those guys when there is no way either of them should have been drafted. My buddies were killing me the whole night. They were so pissed when I won the title with the biggest fluke team.

Slatons rookie year.

Auction draft, I grabbed him for a dollar and everyone asked who he was and laughed at me.

by year end they were not laughing.