Sign in to follow this  
rwren

ESPN free agent auction

We are looking to use ESPNs Free Agent Auction system this season. After being in contact with ESPN, they informed that we can't have a day for the auction each week and free agency the remaining days. It's either/or.

The concern we have is if you lose a bid on a player and as a result you can't fill in for a bye week or last second injury that there is no recourse since the players are locked until the next auction day.

Does anyone here have any ideas or workarounds to accomplish this?

Waiver Process Days and Time: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11 AM

This is the settings I have set for our Auction? not sure I understand what you issue is since a new auction opens each day?

Waiver Process Days and Time: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 11 AM

This is the settings I have set for our Auction? not sure I understand what you issue is since a new auction opens each day?

Yeah, these guys are a pain. They shot down the idea of 4 or 5 days of auction. They want 2 days and free agency every other day, but ESPN won't allow it. Then some guy suggested that everyone send me an email at the end of the week to claim a player and I could manually place them on their team.. Uh, no I'm not doing that.

Like I;ve told these guys, you're just going to have to be proactive in planning your roster moves.

My league is going with ESPN FAAB as well. We wanted to have the bid process run once a week and then pick up free agents first-come, first-serve. ESPN doesn't allow this, but I believe Yahoo. does. There was a lot of confusion about how exactly it worked, but after emails and calls to ESPN I was able to put together the below FAAB rules for the league constitution.

•  
    Free Agent Acquisition Budget"(FAAB) Waiver System - This is a blind auction for free agents open to every team within the league which enables any owner a chance to pick up any free agent.
  • Owners will have a budget of $100 and a max of 10 transactions with which they can make player acquisitions during the season.
  • Free agent bids will process on each Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun at 10am MT and the owner with the highest amount bided will be awarded the player, the bid will be subtracted from that owner's budget, and a transaction will be deducted. At that point the next waiver period begins and bidding commences until the following day at 10am. For example, free agent bidding will commence as soon as NFL week 1 concludes. Owners may bid on any available player up until Thurs, 9/16 10am at which the bids will be processed with players awarded to the highest bidders. At this point free agent bidding opens once again and then those bids are processed on Friday, 9/17 10am. This process continues for Sat, Sun and carries on throughout the season.
  • The only way an owner can pick up a free agent is by winning them with the highest bid. There are no first-come, first-serve pickups after the bidding process
  • The minimum bid an owner can make on a free agent is $0. This means an owner can bid $0 on a player and win if no one else bids on that player. This will enable an owner to still pick up players if they blow their budget as long as they have transactions left (10 transaction limit)
  • During the waiver period, no owner can see any other team's bids or bid amounts.
  • In the event of bids of equal amounts for a player by two teams (a tie), waiver order priority (inverse order of the standings for that week) determines the winner of the player

Owners should consider prioritizing multiple players to bid on for each single player they wish to drop. So if you really need to pick up a waiver player for that week you should plan on bidding on other players unless you put in a bid you know will win. For example:
  • Owner1 selects Kyle Orton to drop from his roster
    1. Owner1 selects waiver player Tim Tebow to bid on for $7
    2. Owner1 selects waiver player Brady Quinn to bid on for $5 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Tebow
    3. Owner1 selects waiver player Matt Prater to bid on for $4 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Quinn

[*]The bid patch process runs on Weds at 10am

1. Owner3 wins Tebow with the high bid of $10
    2. Owner9 wins Quinn with the high bid of $8
    3. Owner1 wins Prater with the high bid of $4

My league is going with ESPN FAAB as well. We wanted to have the bid process run once a week and then pick up free agents first-come, first-serve. ESPN doesn't allow this, but I believe Yahoo. does. There was a lot of confusion about how exactly it worked, but after emails and calls to ESPN I was able to put together the below FAAB rules for the league constitution.

•  
    Free Agent Acquisition Budget"(FAAB) Waiver System - This is a blind auction for free agents open to every team within the league which enables any owner a chance to pick up any free agent.
  • Owners will have a budget of $100 and a max of 10 transactions with which they can make player acquisitions during the season.
  • Free agent bids will process on each Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun at 10am MT and the owner with the highest amount bided will be awarded the player, the bid will be subtracted from that owner's budget, and a transaction will be deducted. At that point the next waiver period begins and bidding commences until the following day at 10am. For example, free agent bidding will commence as soon as NFL week 1 concludes. Owners may bid on any available player up until Thurs, 9/16 10am at which the bids will be processed with players awarded to the highest bidders. At this point free agent bidding opens once again and then those bids are processed on Friday, 9/17 10am. This process continues for Sat, Sun and carries on throughout the season.
  • The only way an owner can pick up a free agent is by winning them with the highest bid. There are no first-come, first-serve pickups after the bidding process
  • The minimum bid an owner can make on a free agent is $0. This means an owner can bid $0 on a player and win if no one else bids on that player. This will enable an owner to still pick up players if they blow their budget as long as they have transactions left (10 transaction limit)
  • During the waiver period, no owner can see any other team's bids or bid amounts.
  • In the event of bids of equal amounts for a player by two teams (a tie), waiver order priority (inverse order of the standings for that week) determines the winner of the player

Owners should consider prioritizing multiple players to bid on for each single player they wish to drop. So if you really need to pick up a waiver player for that week you should plan on bidding on other players unless you put in a bid you know will win. For example:
  • Owner1 selects Kyle Orton to drop from his roster
    1. Owner1 selects waiver player Tim Tebow to bid on for $7
    2. Owner1 selects waiver player Brady Quinn to bid on for $5 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Tebow
    3. Owner1 selects waiver player Matt Prater to bid on for $4 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Quinn

[*]The bid patch process runs on Weds at 10am

1. Owner3 wins Tebow with the high bid of $10
    2. Owner9 wins Quinn with the high bid of $8
    3. Owner1 wins Prater with the high bid of $4

Thanks for sharing your research. This has me wondering, do you have to decide which person you are dropping at the time you make a bid? So if I bid on 3 players in hopes of getting one of them, am I in danger of getting all 3 and therefore dropping players i don't want to drop? Dang, I wish ESPN was more detailed in their information.

Thanks for sharing your research. This has me wondering, do you have to decide which person you are dropping at the time you make a bid? So if I bid on 3 players in hopes of getting one of them, am I in danger of getting all 3 and therefore dropping players i don't want to drop? Dang, I wish ESPN was more detailed in their information.

You select the player you want to drop for each bid, but you select the same player each time. i.e.

Owner1 selects Kyle Orton to drop and selects waiver player Tim Tebow to bid on for $7

Owner1 selects Kyle Orton to drop and selects waiver player Brady Quinn to bid on for $5 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Tebow

Owner1 selects Kyle Orton to drop and selects waiver player Matt Prater to bid on for $4 in the event he doesn't have the highest bid on Quinn

That way if both Tebow and Quinn were taken by higher bidders you can still win Prater as you drop Orton