Sign in to follow this  
giantwarrior

Jamaal Charles Owners?

:lol:

The Jets let him go because they had fresher legs waiting in the wings. TJ ran outta gas late last year. Charles has fresher legs in KC.

The Jets also felt fine letting him go because he doesn't excel on 3rd downs as a check down option. Something Charles clearly excels at.

So while the Jets don't really have anything to do with Jones potential success in KC, the reasons they were comfortable letting him go are warning signs for why he will not continue to be a 1,000 yard, double digit TD rusher in KC.

Im telling you flat out that his running style will not be best for this KC team.

I readily acknowledge that Jones was brought in to play, certainly not to ride the pine, I just don't think it will be nearly as much or as effective as TJ supporters wish to believe.

Personal opinion, or sourceless information?

Personal opinion, or sourceless information?

personal opinion and firsthand visual evidence.

isn't that all you're going by?

all we need are our eyes to see how each back runs. there is absolutely no way you can deny Thomas Jones being a plodding, north-south runner. if you think that style is a better fit for KC then we shall agree to disagree.

also want to add that im not saying Jones wont steal goal line stuff or be used in short yardage situations. I expect both backs to have their roles. I also don't expect Charles to have 2,000 yards or something crazy like that.

main point is charles is the better back for this team and will be the better fantasy back at years end.

I love this thread.

Analysis: Charles became a Fantasy stud last season after he took over for Larry Johnson during the final eight games of the season. He rushed for 1,120 yards on 190 attempts, which is the fewest carries by any player in NLF history to rush for 1,000 yards. The Chiefs added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster, but Charles will still be the featured back for Kansas City. While, Jones and McCluster may take away from some of his stats, Charles is still worth owning as a top-end Fantasy RB. Consider him low-end No. 1 Fantasy RB heading into Week 1. - CBS

Yeah, but since TJ sees the field better and sets up his blocks like a star, he's CLEARLY better. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the repost, but i think sho missed it...

This is purely my own individual assessment of what I see in them each on the field. Their running style, how they recognize the blocks forming and unforming in front of them, their "pace" as the play unfolds and how well they judge the play in terms of exploiting holes, or not.

Jones is clearly the back with better vision and understanding of reading the blocks and play pace, a fact apparently the coaches have recognized as well. Charles may or may not figure it out, given time. But right now i would play Jones over him on his sheer ability to individually exploit the opportunities his team is able to provide.

Please click.

I love this thread.

Analysis: Charles became a Fantasy stud last season after he took over for Larry Johnson during the final eight games of the season. He rushed for 1,120 yards on 190 attempts, which is the fewest carries by any player in NLF history to rush for 1,000 yards. The Chiefs added Thomas Jones and Dexter McCluster, but Charles will still be the featured back for Kansas City. While, Jones and McCluster may take away from some of his stats, Charles is still worth owning as a top-end Fantasy RB. Consider him low-end No. 1 Fantasy RB heading into Week 1. - CBS

Yeah, but since TJ sees the field better and sets up his blocks like a star, he's CLEARLY better. :rolleyes:

Yeah I love that. Charles has really shaped up to be the player that fantasy football GMs are divided on this year. I can't wait for him to shut everyone up.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/09/2211435/the-chiefs-will-sink-or-swim-with.html

"Before the season’s final game, Haley issued Charles a challenge: Rush for at least 200 yards. Charles’ previous career high was 154. On that day in Denver, Charles rushed for 259."

Let's hope that Haley challenges Mr. Charles to rush for at least 200 yards every game this year.

Thomas Jones is a true professional and a leader. That's why he was brought to KC and why people are questioning the "leadership" gap with the Jets. He is there as a mentor for Charles and the entire team.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/09/2211435/the-chiefs-will-sink-or-swim-with.html

"Before the season’s final game, Haley issued Charles a challenge: Rush for at least 200 yards. Charles’ previous career high was 154. On that day in Denver, Charles rushed for 259."

Let's hope that Haley challenges Mr. Charles to rush for at least 200 yards every game this year.

Thomas Jones is a true professional and a leader. That's why he was brought to KC and why people are questioning the "leadership" gap with the Jets. He is there as a mentor for Charles and the entire team.

After you read the article there is a bunch of people whom are blogging. And one of the bloggers posted this:

"I just got a chance to watch Haley talk to the media on kcchief.com.......this guy talking about Jamaal Charles makes me sick....if you could buy Haley for what he is worth,and sell him for what he thinks he is worth,I could retire.....he is sooooo into his self,and why?...I have no idea...He gives J.C. no credit at all,and it looks like he will start Jones a head of him monday nite....Jamaal deserves the start based on what he did last year,,,,not T.J..Jamaal has been on the team for 3 yrs,Jones not even a year.,plus,no one thinks T.J. has outplayed him,but Haley says"I dont want to hear the word starting#1 or #2 in my vocabulary"..give me a break!!...He just cant for whatever reason get his self to say anything positive about Charles.,but he will kiss Jones's behind in heartbeat!!...I have said it before and I will say it again,his record this year depends on how J.C. does...period...lot of people say well...."at least we can run"...but if Cassel dont have time to throw,or cant hit a receiver....it will be hard to run....in closing,Haley,you are so full of horse hockey,you make me puke...hopefully the team will over come your B.S...GO CHIEFS!!!"

My question is, Haley really can't be this stupid can he? Why does it seem like Haley does not like Charles for some reason? It makes absolutely no sense to me why Charles wouldn't start and get 70% of the reps! I also have Harrison on my team and I'm actually thinking of starting him over Charles because I just trust Haley at all! Larry Johnson was running for about 1.5 yards per carry last year and he still wouldn't play Charles until Larry put his foot in his mouth and was shipped out of town! I'm not sure what gives with Haley, but he's a fool!

I love this thread.

He is also light and a bit skinny for the position. The team seriously wants to limit his exposure to injury.

This means giving Thomas Jones a large chunk of the carries. TJ is a very good change of pace. He does not have the speed, but he is much better setting up his blocks and slipping for that extra yard. He is also much better picking up the pass rush. Fantasy owners could care less, but Haley thinks it important.

J

He is also light and a bit skinny for the position. The team seriously wants to limit his exposure to injury.

This means giving Thomas Jones a large chunk of the carries. TJ is a very good change of pace. He does not have the speed, but he is much better setting up his blocks and slipping for that extra yard. He is also much better picking up the pass rush. Fantasy owners could care less, but Haley thinks it important.

J

So you mean Chris Johnson is too small for the position?

Johnson - 5' 11", 200 lbs

Charles - 5' 11", 199 lbs

J

He weighs 200 pounds. Thomas Jones weighs 212. TJ aint exactly a bruising RB either.

This board has lost its mind.

He weighs 200 pounds. Thomas Jones weighs 212. TJ aint exactly a bruising RB either.

It's okay according to that guy Chris Johnson isn't really capable of handling a full workload either.

It's okay according to that guy Chris Johnson isn't really capable of handling a full workload either.

Yeah, if the guy was 6-5 and 200 pounds, he'd be skinny and frail.

5-11 and 200 pounds is a different animal.

Any back, no matter the size can get hurt. Hell, look at SJAX. The guy is a monster and goes down every year.

Brandon Jacobs is a bigger frail at his size and running style.

Guys like CJ and Charles can handle a load on style alone.

Actually my concern is that Haley has lost his mind and actually considers TJ his #1 back.

I'm sure to regret it, but I'll be starting Forte as my #2 RB over Jamaal because Haley is giving every indication that he will be a moron over his RB situation.

J

last year Larry Johnson was their big downhill runner to the tune of 2.9 yards a carry in the first 7 games. granted hes not as good as thomas jones but not by a whole lot. with that offensive line you need an elusive back that can catch out of the back field off playaction or just as a check down. And honestly.... who would you rather try getting the ball to in space to make a play? do you think TJ could take a simple screen pass to the house for a long TD?

JC last year had.

Long runs of 44, 76, 47, 56

Long Reception of 49

all in just the 2nd half of the season when he was finally allowed to take over.... could you imagine what stats he would have had if he had the whole season? all he needs are maybe 25 total touches a game and he'll still put up brian westbrook in his prime type numbers. 60-70rushing 30-40recieving and a good chance at a TD a game. i think that haley is going to start off with a very run heavy conservative approach since the division is wide open. but if they start falling behind on the scoreboard you damn sure haley will feed charles the rock. JC is an extremely good value pick right now. jump on him if you can get him in the 3rd or 4th imo.

I worry about injuries to CJ too. He would not be the first flash and burn in NFL history. [cough]Gail Sayers[/cough]

Thomas Jones is not a bruiser. He is deceptive, decisive and determined. He has great skill at finding the crack that earns the extra yard, and a occasionally the big play. That is one reason he is such an excellent foil for Charles blazing speed. Thomas Jones beats you by the inch, over and over, by doing a hundred little things perfectly. Jamaal Charles takes an inch and beats you with it.

Also note one other difference between this season and last. Last season the OL dropped a collective 200 pounds, and redefined their roles. For the first month, they sucked, but eventually came around. The line that blocked for Charles in the latter part of the season is the one that will hit San Diego on Monday.

J

JC is an extremely good value pick right now. jump on him if you can get him in the 3rd or 4th imo.

Who is still drafting??

:dunno:

I worry about injuries to CJ too. He would not be the first flash and burn in NFL history. [cough]Gail Sayers[/cough]

Thomas Jones is not a bruiser. He is deceptive, decisive and determined. He has great skill at finding the crack that earns the extra yard, and a occasionally the big play. That is one reason he is such an excellent foil for Charles blazing speed. Thomas Jones beats you by the inch, over and over, by doing a hundred little things perfectly. Jamaal Charles takes an inch and beats you with it.

Also note one other difference between this season and last. Last season the OL dropped a collective 200 pounds, and redefined their roles. For the first month, they sucked, but eventually came around. The line that blocked for Charles in the latter part of the season is the one that will hit San Diego on Monday.

J

There must be another Thomas Jones in the NFL, as the one on the Jets last year can't be the one described above.

Right on. TJ is a classy vet and a capable runner but he is not as talented as JC. As someone said above, all JC needs is an inch and he's gone. TJ had some big runs last year but he needed huge holes in order to do it. I just don't see TJ being successful in KC based on his running style. The OL will have to hold blocks a lot longer in order for TJ to get through, otherwise its going to be 2 yds and down.

Sorry for the repost, but i think sho missed it...

This is purely my own individual assessment of what I see in them each on the field. Their running style, how they recognize the blocks forming and unforming in front of them, their "pace" as the play unfolds and how well they judge the play in terms of exploiting holes, or not.

Jones is clearly the back with better vision and understanding of reading the blocks and play pace, a fact apparently the coaches have recognized as well. Charles may or may not figure it out, given time. But right now i would play Jones over him on his sheer ability to individually exploit the opportunities his team is able to provide.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic. :pointstosky:

:overhead:

Thomas Jones has the vision, leadership ability, and no-nonsense attitude that it takes for a running back to single handedly win a game like (Dexter McCluster and Jamaal Charles did) week one against SD.

BTW Rivers totally made VJAX a star... I'm sure Rivers couldn't of used Jackson at all in this game. He had plenty of talent at wideout :D :D

Charles 11 carries 92 yards 1 TD

Jones 11 carries 39 yards 0 TD

who's the better back again? I have a feeling haley has a plan to keep charles fresh. have TJ pound the defence for some short.....very short gains. then homerun charles to the rescue. I've heard Haley has had concerns of charles' health over an entire season. but he can't keep him off the field for too much longer. I dont care who starts or how many plays either back gets as long as charles keeps getting his homeruns :)

Charles 11 carries 92 yards 1 TD

Jones 11 carries 39 yards 0 TD

who's the better back again? I have a feeling haley has a plan to keep charles fresh. have TJ pound the defence for some short.....very short gains. then homerun charles to the rescue. I've heard Haley has had concerns of charles' health over an entire season. but he can't keep him off the field for too much longer. I dont care who starts or how many plays either back gets as long as charles keeps getting his homeruns :)

But...but...but...Jones had 1300 yds last year with the Jets!

/sarcasm

Just as I predicted so far....Jones averaging about 3 yards per carry and Haley wasting time with him in the game. Thankfully Charles hit a homerun and was able to get some points this week. I just think its so funny that Charles is by far their best and most dynamic playmaker on offense and they had him sitting on the bench for half of the snaps.

Give it a few more weeks...he will for sure be a RB1.

Just as I predicted so far....Jones averaging about 3 yards per carry and Haley wasting time with him in the game. Thankfully Charles hit a homerun and was able to get some points this week. I just think its so funny that Charles is by far their best and most dynamic playmaker on offense and they had him sitting on the bench for half of the snaps.

Give it a few more weeks...he will for sure be a RB1.

Its 3.5, but who is counting? Plus it was against 8 in the box much of the night.

Jones gives them better ball security and much better pass blocking. Considering how long Cassell has been holding the ball, that is important. Plus Charles has a history of getting dinged.

J

Its 3.5, but who is counting? Plus it was against 8 in the box much of the night.

Jones gives them better ball security and much better pass blocking. Considering how long Cassell has been holding the ball, that is important. Plus Charles has a history of getting dinged.

J

And there won't be eight in the box all season? Cassel became good? Come on, now. You argue against yourself with that logic.

Todd Haley Post Game Interview:

What more does Jamaal Charles really need to show you? “Jamaal obviously stepped up when he got in there and made a real big play for us, and a couple of other runs that looked like he did a real good job on. I think this team, the 45 guys we take to the game, are all going to be front-line players in my mind and Jamaal is one of those 45. I think that’s going to be part of what makes us a successful team. Everybody out there made enough plays for us to win. They didn’t turn the ball over, which was a very critical factor in our success tonight.”

Talk about how explosive your team may be this year: “We felt good about the development of Jamaal Charles. We felt good about all these players we brought in, whether it’s the draft or free agency, and I thought they all contributed and that’s the way we’re going to win football games. Today it happened to be Dexter McCluster making a real big play, Jamaal making a big play, Brandon Carr making a big play. The team that plays the best in the end usually wins and we played the best.”

BTW Rivers totally made VJAX a star... I'm sure Rivers couldn't of used Jackson at all in this game. He had plenty of talent at wideout :D :D

considering Naanee had 5-100-1 and Jackson never has had 70 catches in a season, I think its pretty safe to say that either Naanee or Floyd are easily capable of putting up VJax numbers or better.

now obviously, having another guy only helps but nothing i saw last night made me think they missed Jackson very much.

Yeah, if the guy was 6-5 and 200 pounds, he'd be skinny and frail.

5-11 and 200 pounds is a different animal.

Any back, no matter the size can get hurt. Hell, look at SJAX. The guy is a monster and goes down every year.

Brandon Jacobs is a bigger frail at his size and running style.

Guys like CJ and Charles can handle a load on style alone.

TWSS

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic. :pointstosky:

Thanks pumpkin....:overhead:

Not giving the ball to Charles looks like it's more personal rather than football related. Rumors have it Haley doesn't like his attitude and work ethics. I guess as long as they keep winning games, Haley can keep Jones as the guy but when the losing starts getting constant, he's going to have to start giving the ball to the kid and let him do his thing. His talent is unquestionable...period!!

Not giving the ball to Charles looks like it's more personal rather than football related. Rumors have it Haley doesn't like his attitude and work ethics. I guess as long as they keep winning games, Haley can keep Jones as the guy but when the losing starts getting constant, he's going to have to start giving the ball to the kid and let him do his thing. His talent is unquestionable...period!!

I don't think anyone questions the talent of Charles, but in the system that Haley is using he is not going to be a true #1, but instead Jones will be used for the bulk of the catches and Charles will be used for the big play. It's unfolding as I stated it would, pretty easy to spot really...

I don't think anyone questions the talent of Charles, but in the system that Haley is using he is not going to be a true #1, but instead Jones will be used for the bulk of the catches and Charles will be used for the big play. It's unfolding as I stated it would, pretty easy to spot really...

It's still very early. Haley is playing with his job. They won 16-14, again thanks to the defense. The offense has done nothing, and whatever petty reasons Haley is hanging onto in order to continue "his way" will keep failing in reality because of it.

Incidentally, the brilliant success of this remarkable plan:

KC Offense: 23 points, 2 TD (Charles, Moeaki), 3 field goals - average 11.5 points/game

KC Defense/Special Teams: 14 points - 7 points per game

Brilliant.

Oh, and at this point, the argument is typically time of possession . . . because a back like Thomas Jones helps you control the clock. The Chiefs' offense is stellar in that category, too. 27:52 minutes/game.

Sorry, Haley's a retard . . . and that doesn't last long in the NFL.

It's still very early. Haley is playing with his job. They won 16-14, again thanks to the defense. The offense has done nothing, and whatever petty reasons Haley is hanging onto in order to continue "his way" will keep failing in reality because of it.

Incidentally, the brilliant success of this remarkable plan:

KC Offense: 23 points, 2 TD (Charles, Moeaki), 3 field goals - average 11.5 points/game

KC Defense/Special Teams: 14 points - 7 points per game

Brilliant.

Oh, and at this point, the argument is typically time of possession . . . because a back like Thomas Jones helps you control the clock. The Chiefs' offense is stellar in that category, too. 27:52 minutes/game.

Sorry, Haley's a retard . . . and that doesn't last long in the NFL.

He reminds me of another Bellicheat protege in Denver who has also shown an ability to be a bonehead.....:thumbsup:

Thanks pumpkin....:overhead:

I'm guessing you've also given up on Ray Rice, MJD, Turner, Gore, SJAX, Greene, and every other RB who hasn't lit the league on fire.

He's had one great game, one not-good game...he's really only being held back by the # of touches. In another few weeks, he could be playing himself into more touches.

T. Jones: 33 carries, 122 yards. 3.7 ypc. 1 catch, 5 yards, 0 TD's.

J. Charles: 22 carries, 141 yards. 6.4 ypc. 2 catches, 35 yards, 1 TD.

Bullsh!t. I don't think I can count how many times in this thread you've argued that..."based on your breakdown" or w/e, that Thomas Jones is a better RB than Jamaal Charles. You tried arguing he's better at finding holes and exploding through them (that's what she said).

So don't back off now and say that you knew Charles was better all along...