Sign in to follow this  
Saint Elistan

Saints @ 49ers (Week 2)

Previews/Box Scores: ESPN - Yahoo Sports - CBS - NFL.COM

Saints (1-0) at 49ers (0-1)

Date: 9/20/10 (Monday)

Time: 5:30 p.m. (Pacific)

Television: ESPN (Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Ron Jaworski)

Favorite (over/under): Saints -5 (43.5)

Series: 49ers lead 45-23-2

Last meeting (9/28/08): A pair of QB J.T. O’Sullivan passes were intercepted by the Saints in the end zone to short-circuit 49ers scoring drives and Drew Brees threw for 363 yards and 3 TDs in a 31-17 win at the Superdome.

Saints Injury Report

Chris Ivory (RB) Knee - Out

Zach Strief (T) Knee - Out

Anthony Waters (LB) Hamstring - Out

Jonathan Vilma (LB) Groin - Probable

[EDIT] Inactives: C. Ivory (RB), P. Robinson (CB), C. Reis (S), A. Waters (LB), Z. Streif (OT), T. Humphrey (TE), A. Arrington (WR), J. Galette (DE)

49ers Injury Report

Ted Ginn (WR) Knee - Doubtful

William James (CB) Ankle - Doubtful

Chilo Rachal (G) Stinger - Doubtful

Alex Boone (T) Calf - Probable

Phillip Adams (CB) Hamstring - Questionable

Ahmad Brooks (LB) Elbow - Probable

Kyle Williams (WR) Toe - Doubtful

Patrick Willis (LB) Knee - Probable

Eric Heitmann (OC) Fibula - Out

[EDIT] Inactives: Troy Smith (QB), Kyle Williams (WR), Ted Ginn (WR), Will James (CB), Chilo Rachal (OG), Eric Heitmann (OC), Alex Boone(OT), Tramaine Brock (CB)

Stat Comparisons

Total Yards per Game

NO 308.0

SF 263.0

Passing Yards per Game

NO 229.0

SF 214.0

Rushing Yards per Game

NO 79.0

SF 49.0

Yards Allowed per Game

NO 253.0

SF 242.0

Passing Yards Allowed per Game

NO 162.0

SF 165.0

Rushing Yards Allowed per Game

NO 91.0

SF 77.0

Average Points per Game

NO 14.0

SF 6.0

Average Points Allowed per Game

NO 9.0

SF 31.0

FFToday Fantasy Projections by Eakin

Prediction: New Orleans 27 49ers 20

Notable Saints

Drew Brees: 320 yds/3 TDs/1 Int

Marques Colston: 70 yds/1 TD

Devery Henderson: 45 yds

Robert Meachem: 60 yds/1 TD

Pierre Thomas: 70 yds/25 rec

Reggie Bush: 25 yds/40 rec/1 TD

Notable 49ers

Alex Smith: 180 yds/1 TD/2 INT

Michael Crabtree: 55 yds/1 TD

Josh Morgan: 35 yds

Vernon Davis: 65 yds

Frank Gore: 90 yds/45 rec/2 TDs

I recommend reading Eakin's full analysis of the game found here on FFToday.

Maiocco's Matchups to Watch http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/20/10/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=314360&feedID=5884

Saints Wide Receivers vs. 49ers Defensive Backfield

No team is capable of making bad things happen for a pass defense quite like the New Orleans Saints. The 49ers do not have a deep secondary to begin with. And Saints quarterback Drew Brees likes to test defensive backfields with multi-receiver personnel groups with a dash of speedy running back Reggie Bush thrown in for good measure. It's questionable whether anyone in the 49ers' secondary can run with the group of wideouts the Saints can put on the field at the same time. Colston caught 70 passes for 1,074 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Henderson had 51 receptions for 804 yards, and Meachem hauled in 45 passes for 722 and nine TDs. Moore has history against the 49ers. When the teams played in 2008, Moore caught seven passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns.

Saints defense vs. 49ers TEs Vernon Davis (85) and Delanie Walker (46) -- The Saints struggled to defend Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe in the season opener. Now, they'll have to figure out a way to defend two athletic tight ends on the field at the same time. The dilemma that faces the Saints is how to match up. Walker can play tight end, slot or fullback. If the Saints keep their base defense on the field, the 49ers should be able to dictate mismatches with a linebacker assigned to cover Davis or Walker. If the Saints go with their nickel package, that means they replace 230-pound linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar with 190-pound third cornerback Randall Gay. That should allow the 49ers to feature their power running game with Frank Gore. Said Saints coach Sean Payton, "When you look at their speed and athleticism, if you get so focused on one part of the game, that's a position that can hurt you."

Saints RDE Will Smith (91) vs. 49ers LT Joe Staley (74) -- A lot of the Week 1 attention was on 49ers right tackle Anthony Davis and left guard Mike Iupati. And while those rookies certainly did not play well against the Seahawks, the biggest disappointment was Staley's play against defensive end Chris Clemons. The assignment is even more difficult tonight, as Staley faces one of the top defensive ends in the league. Smith recorded a team-high 13 sacks last season. He has been selected as one of the Saints five season-long captains. The pressure is on Staley to hold up against Smith, so they can lend assistance to Davis, if needed, on the other side of the line.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to what most would have you think, this isn't a "Must Win" for the 49ers - it is a "Must Compete", however. That being said, I feel like this is an awful lot like the week 1 game between the 49ers and Seahawks...except this time the 49ers are the team "without a chance". I'm not saying the game will have the same type of results for the favorite, but I do feel this is a potential trap game for the Saints.

For the 49ers, the game hinges on the pass rush. If Ahmad Brooks, Travis LaBoy, Manny Lawson, and Parys Haralson can't get to Brees consistently, the thin 49ers Secondary will be picked apart and this game wont even be close.

In terms of gambling, I'd stay away from this game. The spread and the over/under are just too iffy - especially since the early movement was towards the 49ers and the Under. There's something fishy here...and it stinks.

GO NINERS! :banana:

The 49ers have me feeling rather deflated right now and I'm wondering if they're feeling the same way. Can't beat Seattle and actually get your ass kicked by Seattle...I just don't have any confidence in them this week. I'm really hoping they prove me wrong.

Having Gore on my team is worrisome........the Saints may be so far ahead after the 1st qtr that the 9ers abandon the run altogether making him a 1st rd bust like he was last week(as far as pointage against a weakass team).

I'm hoping they can at least keep it close enough to keep handing the ball to Gore.

Mike Singletary is using reverse psychology on his team.

"Tell Pete Carroll thank you very much for kicking our tails," the San Francisco 49ers coach said after Seattle's 31-6 thrashing Sunday. "It was good medicine, and we're going to take it up the poop shoot and like it."

Mike Singletary is using reverse psychology on his team.

"Tell Pete Carroll thank you very much for kicking our tails," the San Francisco 49ers coach said after Seattle's 31-6 thrashing Sunday. "It was good medicine, and we're going to take it up the poop shoot and like it."

Wow. That might be the queerest statement ever issued by a head coach.

I'm benching Crabtree for Brandon Lloyd. How about them apples?

I might get drunk enough tonight to switch back to Crabtree though.

I'm benching Crabtree for Brandon Lloyd. How about them apples?

I might get drunk enough tonight to switch back to Crabtree though.

I don't blame anyone for benching him. I'm hoping he comes up big on Monday night though, and keeping him in my lineup.

Niners win easily 28-17 but have a let down next week.

:lol:

Could definitely see this happening. 49ers have a bad habit of playing up to competition and playing down to everyone else.

Could definitely see this happening. 49ers have a bad habit of playing up to competition and playing down to everyone else.

hope so. i'm sticking with their def despite the bad matchup.

Though Favre didn't have many other options, Shiancoe had a solid game last week againt the Aints. Meanwhile VD had eight catches in his game. With Smith passing early and often, this could be a game where Vernon has good opportunities to get in the end zone (warily starting him over Zach Miller at home againts the Rams.)

nothing is a sure thing in the nfl.....saints are playing on grass and the niners have some playmakers on both sides of the ball and were embarassed last week.

the niners either play there arse off and win or emplode. I say somewhere in the middle and either win or lose by 4pts.

Highly competitive game imo. :huh:

The NFL is impossible to predict. With that said I think SF wins the game tonight.

Also, "poop shoot" is funny. That is all.

:nono:

fair enough but if i drop em i risk not getting them back for the KC matchup next week. i drafted em for their great schedule all season. our league only has 5 bench spots so i can't carry 2 defenses.

Saints win this game going away tonight. I'll say something in the range of 31-16.

Also, I wouldn't expect much from Gore. Saints run defense is very underrated.

Can't believe I'm going to have to say it, but after two posters seemingly believed it I have to let you know that the words "Poop Shoot" did not come out of Singletary's mouth.

Hopefully this wont be a Reggie Bush game for Payton.

Well, of the two, Bush would be the smarter of the two backs to attack the 49ers defense with. That being said, I still think you'll get your six out of Pierre. I'm gonna say...on a passing TD of all things.

Can't believe I'm going to have to say it, but after two posters seemingly believed it I have to let you know that the words "Poop Shoot" did not come out of Singletary's mouth.

I don't care if it came out of Iron Mike's mouth or not....all I stated was it was funny.

Wouldn't it be nice for Crabtree to get a clue and become a decent WR for his ADP. He rode my bench this week. Just don't understand how a #1 WR goes 2 for 12 and like 5 other receivers on the team have more receptions or yards than him. :dunno:

Well, of the two, Bush would be the smarter of the two backs to attack the 49ers defense with. That being said, I still think you'll get your six out of Pierre. I'm gonna say...on a passing TD of all things.

PT is going to throw a TD?

Wouldn't it be nice for Crabtree to get a clue and become a decent WR for his ADP. He rode my bench this week. Just don't understand how a #1 WR goes 2 for 12 and like 5 other receivers on the team have more receptions or yards than him. :dunno:

Two words: Alex Smith

Two words: Alex Smith

What does other receivers on the team outperforming Crabtree have to do with Alex Smith exactly? He can't throw. But he can't throw to himself either.

this is one of my favorite sports cliches.

I expect the 49ers to be 0-2 after this week. That loss to Seattle was simply pathetic. I like the 9ers but think they may open 1-3.

@espn_nfcwest

Niners have placards in select seats at the Stick. When fans hold them up, we'll see the outline of a Jerry Rice jersey spanning 9 sections.

Neato. Hope to see a shot of this tonight.

Singletary will drop trou at halftime again when the Niners head into the locker room down 24-3 on a national stage. I look for a final on the order of Saints 44 Niners 10.

What does other receivers on the team outperforming Crabtree have to do with Alex Smith exactly? He can't throw. But he can't throw to himself either.

The fact that Smith's limited football acumen gives way to inanity as he forgoes throwing the football to his best wide receiver. Make sense? If not, fock it.

Oh and you fools hoping for the 9ers to win tonight... :lol:

WHO DAT.

The fact that Smith's limited football acumen gives way to inanity as he forgoes throwing the football to his best wide receiver. Make sense? If not, fock it.

Davis - 12 Targets - 8 Catches (66%)

Crabtree - 8 Targets - 2 Catches (25%)

Gore - 7 Targets - 6 Catches (85%)

Morgan - 5 Targets - 3 Catches (60%)

Walker - 4 Targets - 3 Catches (75%)

Ginn - 2 Targets - 1 Catch (50%)

Ziegler - 2 Targets - 1 Catch (50%)

Norris - 2 Targets - 1 Catch (50%)

Byham - 1 Target - 1 Catch (100%)

You were saying?

Davis - 12 Targets - 8 Catches

Crabtree - 8 Targets - 2 Catches

Gore - 7 Targets - 6 Catches

Morgan - 5 Targets - 3 Catches

Walker - 4 Targets - 3 Catches

Ginn - 2 Targets - 1 Catch

Ziegler - 2 Targets - 1 Catch

Norris - 2 Targets - 1 Catch

Byham - 1 Target - 1 Catch

You were saying?

I was saying Alex Smith sucks, dude. Throwing some stats at me from their week one demolition isn't going to change the fact that Smith sucks and that was my only point. I could give two focks about Crabtree, Smith, the 9ers, or how many targets their loser team got in week one.

I was saying Alex Smith sucks, dude. Throwing some stats at me from their week one demolition isn't going to change the fact that Smith sucks and that was my only point. I could give two focks about Crabtree, Smith, the 9ers, or how many targets their loser team got in week one.

Pretty sure I said the same thing about Alex.

And no, your point wasn't that Alex Smith sucks. Your point was that Crabtree sucks because Alex Smith sucks.

Don't try to go back on it now that you've seen that Crabtree gets enough targets - he just has a case of the dropsies or the idontcareimgettingpaidsies.

Pretty sure I said the same thing about Alex.

And no, your point wasn't that Alex Smith sucks. Your point was that Crabtree sucks because Alex Smith sucks.

Don't try to go back on it now that you've seen that Crabtree gets enough targets - he just has a case of the dropsies or the idontcareimgettingpaidsies.

Seriously... :sleep:

get the fuck out of here.

someone complained about Crabtrees lack of production and you said it was due to Smith sucking. Someone asked why that mattered and you claimed because he was so bad he didn't know to look for his best WR.

Saint just posted stats proving you completely wrong.

thanks for playing :wave: