Sign in to follow this  
Sh8rp

Not Really A Cheatsheet Question

So my 10 team, 14-man roster league is looking into potentially becoming an auction league, which I am all for. The issue is that we are a keeper league (based on the round taken), and those 'owners' who have late studs don't want to have to start over. I was trying to come up with a way to convert the round taken into a $ value but am having some difficulty. My first stab at it was taking each draft spot and finding out it's value in the whole draft, whereby the #1 spot was 100%, pick #70 was 50% and the final pick, #140, was 0.71%, then I averaged out each round, determining each rounds value compared to the whole. That left me with a final round value of $1, but the first round was only $27, which seems too low (averaging out the ESPN Draft Kit auction values from our league had the first round closer to $40). I'm far from a math wiz, so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas?

I figure there are more keeper draft leagues out there that may want to become auction leagues but don't know how to do it without starting over, so maybe this can even become article-worthy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

Hey Mike. You could have posted this on the main forum and you'd probably - possibly - get more responses.

There are a bunch of ways you could tackle this I think. You could have people keep any X number of players and leave the dollar values out of it. You could do the same thing but only allow players to be kept who were drafted in the last half of the draft last year. You could just set an arbitrary amount per player that comes off the cap for each kept player, although I would think your method would probably work better. You could lay down the law and just tell everyone to stop whining and start from scratch.

Some of this will depend if you are just using the auction for the draft, and then the dollar values don't mean anything after that, or if players actually get contracts with the dollar values attached to them. That gets a lot more complicated. I'd lean to the simpler option - auction draft with keepers not impacting the available cap at all; dollar values don't mean anything after the auction.