Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Hightower worth holding onto to?

I need to drop someone. He's on a bye and yahoo, the fantasy sports experts themselves, inform me that he is close to waiver wire material.

What's your guys take?

He's a decent bye week filler, esp. in PPR, but Wells will get increasing touches. He did have a TD against SD called back for holding, so he still gets the ball. But unless you have confidence that the offense will pick up under Hall (which as a homer I do, although I'm tempering expectations), you won't get much. He's my RB4 right now.

That's for the response. That information on the td run is especially helpful. He still had some tds down the stretch last year even when Wells was producing. And given AZ's relatively easily schedule and Wells tendency to get nicked up, I kind of want to hold onto him.

Don't want to turn this into a help thread but I've got to drop one out of D. Thomas, R. Bush, D. Brown(addai owner too) and T. Hightower.

Hopefully Addai is healthy I can cut Brown. Or maybe I'll decide that D. Thomas won't be super productive as a rookie with 3 receivers ahead of him.

Thanks.

The other side of the story...

Reports locally are that the staff has grown increasingly disenchanted with Wells. He went to the media with his gripe about not getting enough carries, and that's really frowned upon under this regime. He then followed that up with a less than scintillating performance (20 carries for about 36 yards) and a couple missed blitz pickups.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the Cardinals offense absolutely sucked on Sunday. They scored when an O-lineman recovered and ran in a fumble, and had two defensive scores. That stuff's not going to happen every week, and once the offense has to play from behind (which it will most of the rest of the way), Wells' inability to protect the QB will keep Hightower on the field.

I think that Hightower is a good hold candidate. Wells is nothing but question marks and Hightower has shown the ability to perform when Beanie isn't the every down guy. As for a person to drop, I'd go with Demaryius Thomas. That passing game is playing way above it's head right now and he's buried on the depth chart.

Reports locally are that the staff has grown increasingly disenchanted with Wells. He went to the media with his gripe about not getting enough carries, and that's really frowned upon under this regime. He then followed that up with a less than scintillating performance (20 carries for about 36 yards) and a couple missed blitz pickups.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the Cardinals offense absolutely sucked on Sunday. They scored when an O-lineman recovered and ran in a fumble, and had two defensive scores. That stuff's not going to happen every week, and once the offense has to play from behind (which it will most of the rest of the way), Wells' inability to protect the QB will keep Hightower on the field.

If they were disenchanted after he went to the media why would the "punish" him by giving him 20 carries?

On your first point, I guess time will tell. I think it's fair to say that Hightower will still get carries, maybe even continue to start, will be preferred on known passing situations, and will get some TDs. Hence my original statement about bye-week filler. Time will tell how disenchanted they are. Performance has a way of curing disenchantment.

I do agree with the second statement, and added that they moved the ball well enough to get 3 field goals. While objectively that doesn't sound like much, it is an improvement and kinda impressive for Hall's first start. Also he was throwing to Fitz and a box of rocks; Doucet and Breaston should be back after the break.

Their schedule is pretty soft, so I don't see them getting blown out a lot.

Guy in my league got impatient and just cut Beanie. Got depth at RB, cut my RB4 (Torain)

to pick him up.

Beanie's got way more upside/talent, which is what I want in a RB4. Torain looked slow and

left a lot of yards on the field against a weak Indy run D Sun night.

What sealed the move for me was the below item I found on the blog of the Arizona Republic's

Cardinals beat writer.

-- Many Cardinals fans continue to wonder why Tim Hightower is starting over Beanie Wells. I've always thought that it didn't matter much: Wells was going to get more carries anyway. I wonder, however, if Hightower's edge might be narrowing.

The advantage Hightower has had over Wells is that he catches the ball well and picks up the blitz. But Hightower has struggled in pass blocking at times this season and could be blamed for giving up three of the four sacks against the Saints two weeks ago. Is Beanie going to start this week in Seattle? I doubt it but if the game is close, he'll get around 20 carries.

Guy in my league got impatient and just cut Beanie. Got depth at RB, cut my RB4 (Torain)

to pick him up.

Beanie's got way more upside/talent, which is what I want in a RB4. Torain looked slow and

This is funny (assuming you are joking about dropping Torain for Wells)

to pick him up.

What sealed the move for me was the below item I found on the blog of the Arizona Republic's

Cardinals beat writer.

-- Many Cardinals fans continue to wonder why Tim Hightower is starting over Beanie Wells. I've always thought that it didn't matter much: Wells was going to get more carries anyway. I wonder, however, if Hightower's edge might be narrowing.

The advantage Hightower has had over Wells is that he catches the ball well and picks up the blitz. But Hightower has struggled in pass blocking at times this season and could be blamed for giving up three of the four sacks against the Saints two weeks ago. Is Beanie going to start this week in Seattle? I doubt it but if the game is close, he'll get around 20 carries.

Let me get this straight. You want more upside/talent in your RB4, so you drop a guy who has a starting gig all to himself, will get all the goal line carries, and plays for a coach with a track record of turning no names into studs? And you pick up a guy who is on a worse offense with a worse QB and who has a competent RB to possibly share goal line work with at a minimum. Talent wise, I'll give you that Beanie has more, but sometimes it's not about the talent, but more about the opportunity, and unless it was announced today that Portis is back and starting (most don't think he'll play again this year), then I don't understand this move at all. :thumbsdown:

Let me get this straight. You want more upside/talent in your RB4, so you drop a guy who has a starting gig all to himself, will get all the goal line carries, and plays for a coach with a track record of turning no names into studs? And you pick up a guy who is on a worse offense with a worse QB and who has a competent RB to possibly share goal line work with at a minimum. Talent wise, I'll give you that Beanie has more, but sometimes it's not about the talent, but more about the opportunity, and unless it was announced today that Portis is back and starting (most don't think he'll play again this year), then I don't understand this move at all. :thumbsdown:

but, but, wells was a 3rd/4th rounder and torain was not even drafted in most leagues :rolleyes: :lol: