• Jaws
    • The Usual Suspects

They're so much alike I figured this needed to be a poll. :cheers:

no compairison doochebag. The Usual Suspects :headbanger:

Which one?

Jaws (11 votes [52.38%])

The Usual Suspects (10 votes [47.62%])

tikigods won this thread

The Usual Suspects is the "better" movie.

Jaws is the more "important" movie.

:dunno:

:thumbsdown: Tiki already won this thread. I believe Nicki said to find one other person and to date, there are 17 other persons. :thumbsup:

:thumbsdown: Tiki already won this thread. I believe Nicki said to find one other person and to date, there are 17 other persons. :thumbsup:

nikki was repeatedly pwned in this thread.

jets :cheers:

nikki was repeatedly pwned in this thread. jets :cheers:
Yea. Clearly I was pwned because two more helmet wearing knuckledraggers think Jaws > The Usual Suspects than not. :rolleyes:

Yea. Clearly I was pwned because two more helmet wearing knuckledraggers think Jaws > The Usual Suspects than not. :rolleyes:

I dare you to find one person who will back up that statement.

me > you

I liked you better as newbie jr.

me > you

I liked you better as newbie jr.

That was a different thread numbnuts. I forgot where I was. I should have known better before I made that statement.

That was a different thread numbnuts. I forgot where I was. I should have known better before I made that statement.

Ok. :rolleyes:

Wow I thought this was going to be a runaway for TUS. I wonder what the age is of the people who voted jaws vs the ones that voted TUS.

Wow I thought this was going to be a runaway for TUS. I wonder what the age is of the people who voted jaws vs the ones that voted TUS.

I'm more interested in the IQs.

:banana:

all of the child molesters voted for TUS

I'm sure GF voted for Jaws. :banana:

He likes the young female sharks.

Besides everyone knows sharks dont bite unless you touch their privates.

Never saw TUS, but will say this. Seeing Jaws when it came out as a 5-year old kid - no movie in the history of my life (and many of my age) had more of a lasting impact down the road.

seriously????

usual suspects was a cool little movie with a nice twist.

jaws is a focking classic!

jaws wins you focking idiots.

seriously????

usual suspects was a cool little movie with a nice twist.

jaws is a focking classic!

jaws wins you focking idiots.

OK here's the deal...... I don't think that the twist is the only thing that made The Usual Suspects as good as it was. I thought the plot was original, it was suspenseful, the whole concept of Keyser Soze and the psychology behind his character was intriguing, and Kevin Spacey was absolutely amazing in that movie. The dialogue was memorable and at times gave me the chills. "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Jaws, on the other hand, is a typical cliched man vs. beast story. There was some good dialogue. I thought the acting was abysmal. And the special effects, even for the time, were somewhat lacking (See Star Wars comment). It's not timeless. If you watch it now it's not scary. I get that it was a ground-breaking movie and took the horror/suspense genre to a new level. In that sense it was a classic. And most of you probably saw it as a kid which made a more lasting impression. But I just watched it a few months ago. And I'm sorry, but there is no way I could put that movie in a top anything list.

Jaws.... But I just watched it a few months ago. And I'm sorry, but there is no way I could put that movie in a top anything list.

Was this your first time to see it?

I wonder what the age is of the people who voted jaws vs the ones that voted TUS.

This is probably the answer. I'm thinking the line is 37 years old. If you're older than that you voted Jaws. If you are younger than that you voted TUS.

This is probably the answer. I'm thinking the line is 37 years old. If you're older than that you voted Jaws. If you are younger than that you voted TUS.

I'm 36 and voted Jaws. :dunno:

Was this your first time to see it?

No. I saw it several times growing up. I wasn't alive when it came out but I probably saw when I was young in the 80s. And yea it scared the bejeezus out of me. But I'm all grown up now and I can separate things that I liked in my childhood, from what I like now. ;) If I went by what I thought rocked when I was a kid, Wonder Woman would be my favorite TV show and Mary Poppins would have been in my top 5 list. Like I said, I know it's a classic, but if you really bump up the quality of that movie against many others that had been named, including the Usual Suspects, I just don't even think there is a comparison.

I'm also wondering if all these people creaming themselves over Jaws have seen it recently.

Maybe the line is 36 then. :doublethumbsup:

I'm under that so mebbe. :D But being 36 would mean you were 1 year old when it came out, so it's not like you could see it in the theater.

I'm under that so mebbe. :D But being 36 would mean you were 1 year old when it came out, so it's not like you could see it in the theater.

I still remember seeing Jaws in the theater when I was 1. It was awesome. :doublethumbsup:

Also, The Usual Suspects is just a gimmic. It's a good gimmic, but it's a gimmic nonetheless. If you liked TUS you'll love Identity. It's from the same glut of late 90s / early 2000s flicks where the main character is dead, lying, a multiple personality, etc. M. Night had a really bad affect on films for a while there.

TUS is admittedly one of the best of that bunch but still, there's no need to watch it again after seeing it one time.

It's no Jaws, that's for sure. :cheers:

M. Night had a really bad affect on films for a while there.

This is why I voted Jaws. I did not see TUS until a few years ago. At the time, EVERYBODY was making movies where a big twist was tacked onto the end. I expected the same and it made the ending somewhat predictable. I would imagine that if I had seen the movie when it first came out, I would have been more impressed.

TUS had great acting and memorable dialog, but Jaws was simply a better movie because it made a better impression.

If I went by what I thought rocked when I was a kid, Wonder Woman would be my favorite TV show and Mary Poppins would have been in my top 5 list. Like I said, I know it's a classic, but if you really bump up the quality of that movie against many others that had been named, including the Usual Suspects, I just don't even think there is a comparison.

Kind of what I was getting at. You (and most who share similar thoughts) are looking at Jaws now thru the eyes of a movie critic. I know not this thread, but the original one asked simply our own top 5 movies - for whatever reasons. I'm not on the set of a Roger & Ebert review - could care less about dramatic acting, screenplay, etc. When put in that context, Jaws was amazing and certainly still considered a "classic". I'm sure TUS is a really good movie, but I've never heard anybody refer to it as one.

I voted Jaws. The usual suspects was a cool interesting movie but Jaws is the kind of movie you have a hard time passing by when channel surfing. Everytime Robert Shaw opened his mouth a gem of a line came out. Robert Shaw telling the story of the Indianpolis is much more riveting than anything that came out of Kevin Spacey's mouth.

This is why I voted Jaws. I did not see TUS until a few years ago. At the time, EVERYBODY was making movies where a big twist was tacked onto the end. I expected the same and it made the ending somewhat predictable.

TUS also had the worst kind of twist: The kind that means virtually everything you've been watching up until the end didn't actually happen. Identity and High Tension are some other major offenders.

I like TUS. I just think it's a product of its time and the fact that it's mainly a gimmic means it's not a film anyone is going to want to watch over and over again.

TUS also had the worst kind of twist: The kind that means virtually everything you've been watching up until the end didn't actually happen. Identity and High Tension are some other major offenders.

I like TUS. I just think it's a product of its time and the fact that it's mainly a gimmic means it's not a film anyone is going to want to watch over and over again.

TUS >>>>>>> Jaws.

wait, what do you mean it didnt happen? It all happened, spacey just added lies around it to cover himself. thats the points. his retelling of the situation to make himself "innocent" and the fill in details to make it believeable.

The Usual Suspects is the "better" movie.

Jaws is the more "important" movie.

:dunno:

Jaws is also the more watched movie. Usual Suspects snuck up on everyone when it was released. Only after a few awards did people start to take notice. That being said, I still run into a lot of people that haven't seen it..a scant few that have never heard of it.

TUS >>>>>>> Jaws.

I bet you think Pearl Jam is better than the Stones, too. :lol:

I am 38 and I have not voted yet.

I am 38 and I have not voted yet.

Just wait for the poll to end and criticize the winner.

TUS >>>>>>> Jaws.

wait, what do you mean it didnt happen? It all happened, spacey just added lies around it to cover himself. thats the points. his retelling of the situation to make himself "innocent" and the fill in details to make it believeable.

See that's one of the things I love about TUS. You don't know what happened and what didn't. It made me think. And I have watched it multiple times to look for clues and bits of what may have been real or not. And I felt the movie was so much better watching it the second time through the lens of knowing the true story. As for Identity and others.... I thought Identity sucks. I understand there were several movies during that time that had a "twist", but honestly I have never lumped TUS in with those other movies. Part of this may be I am a huge Kevin Spacey fan too. I just think he is amazing.