Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Would you help him?

20 members have voted

1. 1. If there is a chance it could impact your getting a job?

Last week I threw my hat in the ring for a job as global account director to a specific customer with whom I have a lot of experience. The VP seemed kinda luke warm about it; in hindsight I could have done a better job highlighting my experience with this customer on my resume. Anyway, today I got an email from an old acquaintance with whom I covered this customer in the past -- he is talking to a company about an opportunity which sounds like the one I just described, and he asked if I remember the name of a specific contact we had there?

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I know the contact he is looking for. I'm also pretty confident, but not completely sure, that he is interviewing for the same job as above. I'm on friendly terms with him, but I wouldn't consider him a close friend.

So the question is: do I help him out with the contact name?

How long ago did you know him?

Thats a tough position, but I probably would give him the name, I wouldn't help with any interview prep, but I don't think giving a point of contact that you guys knew years ago will make a big difference.

Good Luck :cheers:

That's a tough one...I think the right thing to do would be to give him the name but...

Here ya go:

Don't give him the name.

When you go to sleep at night, instead of feeling guilty for him not being able to provide for his family and his children starving...justify your decision by telling yourself

"if he was truly as qualified for the job, he would have remembered the name of his customers instead of asking the more qualified Jerryskids who it was"

How long ago did you know him?

Thats a tough position, but I probably would give him the name, I wouldn't help with any interview prep, but I don't think giving a point of contact that you guys knew years ago will make a big difference.

Good Luck :cheers:

We worked together in 06; I've seen him maybe once or twice since then. Also exchanged a few emails in that time.

Definitely a tough one. At the end of the day I probably provide the name.

global account director

McDonald's sure is getting fancy with their job titles. :thumbsup:

Does he currently have a job? If so, tell him you applied for the same job and he can go fock himself. He should understand that you are unemployed and need any edge you can get. :bandana:

Does he currently have a job? If so, tell him you applied for the same job and he can go fock himself. He should understand that you are unemployed and need any edge you can get. :bandana:

I agree.

I'd give him the contact name because I would know I'd beat him anyway.

Interesting, I had this thought. I'm kinda old skool; when I play a sport, I want my opponent to be at full strength so that I know I beat him at his best. But this isn't a game, it is my family's welfare. :dunno:

Edit: FWIW, I am more qualified than him. I don't say that to be cocky, but as a statement of fact. Similarly, there are others who would be more qualified for this position. Not him, though.

I'd give him the name.

I totally understand about your family's welfare, but it just doesn't seem fair. I kno if I were in your shoes it'd be hard.

GL.

Nope, he has been out of work for about a year.

McDonald's sure is getting fancy with their job titles. :thumbsup:

Yes, "global account director" is jobspeak for "selling burgers in Haiti." :thumbsup:

I'd help him. You sacrifice your honor and integrity otherwise.

You have however much competition for this job anyways from other people, add him to the list.

I'm pretty vindictive so I would probably give him the name and feed false info. Hahhha. But seriously does he know you're out of work? And if he does was he telling you to go after this too? Cuz if he knows you're looking and he's asking for info that will lead him to a job you would also be interested in, then yea. Fock 'm!

Real werk sounds scary

If your out of work too then no.

If he's an "acquaintance", then hell no.

If he's a friend, then I would. When I say friend I mean somebody you genuinely care about and who would do the same for you.

No, you have your own family to worry about....in a nice way fock him.

+1

This isn't a game. You've got a wife & kids to take care of.

Let's go Geek on this one:

Is he a contact on your LinkedIn? Is he a friend in Facebook?

If the answer is "no" to either, then don't give him the name. If he is a friend in FB, then give him the name, but spell it wrong. :D

If he's an "acquaintance", then hell no.

If he's a friend, then I would. When I say friend I mean somebody you genuinely care about and who would do the same for you.

Agree.

You can always help him with leads once you land on your feet.

Until then, you have yourself and your family to look out for.

Let's go Geek on this one:

Is he a contact on your LinkedIn? Is he a friend in Facebook?

If the answer is "no" to either, then don't give him the name. If he is a friend in FB, then give him the name, but spell it wrong. :D

LinkedIn yes, Facebook no.

Funny you should say that last part -- I sent him a message like "I'm not sure who you are looking for, can you give me more info?" and he later responded with a proposed name with more info. The name wasn't the person I was thinking from his original description, but it kinda fit his latest info, so I left it at that. Except he spelled it wrong, and I corrected it for him. So in the end I helped him some, even if he has the wrong info. :thumbsup: