Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Game of Thrones (no spoilers)

I watched episode 3. Not nearly enough sex and violence for my liking.

I noticed there was a serious drop in the number of times people were doing it like they do it on the Discovery Channel :banana:

I cannot recommend the series of book highly enough.

For the most part, the show is sticking to the books thus far with a few minor exceptions. But a lot of the dialogue and the best lines come verbatim from the novels.

I'm very much enjoying the series thus far though you are correct in your assumption that the book is always better. But they are doing a wonderful job with the show, and the author is very much involved in the production.

The story, characters, and writing are absolutely incredible. If you enjoyed the first three episodes- and it sounds like everyone did- you are going to LOVE the rest. It is so richly drawn, and there are so many memorable twists and turns, that it is staggering.

Watching each episode twice or reading recaps or taking part in discussions will be helpful as there really is a great deal going on with an enormous backstory and cast of characters.

It seems like they really liked doggy style back then...sometimes with people they weren't even related to.

Seriously. I liked the lesbo scene too. :)

Seriously. I liked the lesbo scene too. :)

I am hopeful that there will be many more lesbo scenes.

Also, perhaps they hinted at this and I missed it, but that dooshy Prince doesn't really seem to be anything like the King. Is he the product of the Queen and her twin brother slapping their uglies together?

Episode 3: Nothing Happens

I actually like the actors and this episode had some good bits but there is only so much you can do to move things forward when you only have 5 minutes per episode per character you are following around.

:thumbsdown:

I cannot recommend the series of book highly enough.

For the most part, the show is sticking to the books thus far with a few minor exceptions. But a lot of the dialogue and the best lines come verbatim from the novels.

I'm very much enjoying the series thus far though you are correct in your assumption that the book is always better. But they are doing a wonderful job with the show, and the author is very much involved in the production.

The story, characters, and writing are absolutely incredible. If you enjoyed the first three episodes- and it sounds like everyone did- you are going to LOVE the rest. It is so richly drawn, and there are so many memorable twists and turns, that it is staggering.

Watching each episode twice or reading recaps or taking part in discussions will be helpful as there really is a great deal going on with an enormous backstory and cast of characters.

It even brought Team Revell out of the woodwork, nice! :thumbsup:

The books are no "Geek Love" but they're all right. :lol:

Decided, I'm gonna watch each season and then read the corresponding book. That way it can fill me on things I missed or were left out of the TV version. Plus, if they pull a "Deadwood" I can then still have the books to look forward to to finish the story.

EW.com is doing weekly recaps:

'Game of Thrones' recap: Lord Snow, Littlefinger and Back Alley Sally

Decided, I'm gonna watch each season and then read the corresponding book. That way it can fill me on things I missed or were left out of the TV version. Plus, if they pull a "Deadwood" I can then still have the books to look forward to to finish the story.

:lol:

Episode 3: Nothing Happens

I actually like the actors and this episode had some good bits but there is only so much you can do to move things forward when you only have 5 minutes per episode per character you are following around.

:thumbsdown:

Yes, there are a few too many story lines for my liking.. I just hope some of them mess soon.

I'm not sure what I like most... the midget owning the screen or the little blonde haired flamer getting whipped and his sister trotting away

Seriously. Tell me one thing that happened in that episode. It was basically watching people stand around telling you about things for 60 minutes. Nothing actually happened. Except maybe that idiot prince - talk about a boring, boring character - getting pwned with a lasso. And that was like 1 minute out of the 60.

Clearly this story isn't plot-driven and, don't get me wrong, I like character-driven stories. The problem is when you only have 5 minutes per character per episode there is only so much you can do. Which is why we're left with stellar storytelling techniques like "have everyone stand around for an hour telling you about things that happen off screen."

:rolleyes:

Seriously. Tell me one thing that happened in that episode. It was basically watching people stand around telling you about things for 60 minutes. Nothing actually happened. Except maybe that idiot prince - talk about a boring, boring character - getting pwned with a lasso. And that was like 1 minute out of the 60.

Clearly this story isn't plot-driven and, don't get me wrong, I like character-driven stories. The problem is when you only have 5 minutes per character per episode there is only so much you can do. Which is why we're left with stellar storytelling techniques like "have everyone stand around for an hour telling you about things that happen off screen."

Well, in the article I linked above, the writer has seen the first six episodes and ranked them in the following order: (six, five, two, four, one, three) and did describe the last episode (3) as "There's tons of character development" so maybe it will pickup from here. :unsure:

MOST of the reviews of this series said that the early episodes were the "worst/toughest" to get through b/c of all the names/places/backstories/etc.

So, if I could not only "get thru" but "enjoy" these early episodes that are supposed to be the bad ones, I'm really looking forward to the later/good ones.

EDIT:

and for those watching BORGIAS on SHOWTIME, I find it harder to remember who's who in Borgias and what country/motive they represent.

EW.com is doing weekly recaps:

'Game of Thrones' recap: Lord Snow, Littlefinger and Back Alley Sally

:thumbsup:

Been following the series through those recaps. They're pretty funny.

1st 2 sentences in the EW recap.

"The third episode was the best one yet!" says my friend.

"It was my least favorite of the first six," I reply.

too bad their have only been 3 episodes

solid writing :thumbsup:

i think I'll stop there

1st 2 sentences in the EW recap.

too bad their have only been 3 episodes

solid writing :thumbsup:

i think I'll stop there

The writer has already seen the first six episodes.

The writer has already seen the first six episodes.

Why would he comment on episodes that haven't been released? even worse.

anyway..

when do you suppose we're going to see Ned Stark's ex wife? She has to make her entrance eventually. why aren't they together anymore?

anyway..

when do you suppose we're going to see Ned Stark's ex wife? She has to make her entrance eventually. why aren't they together anymore?

Ned Stark doesn't have an ex-wife.

but he does have his bastard's mother... and I'm guessing she's hot... they've purposely made Stark's wife upstanding/respectable but mundane/unattractive... just another thing for Stark to look heroic about when he can resist the hottest tail in the realm to remain faithful to his likeable but not-so-hot wife.

(nope haven't read ONE word of the books!)

but he does have his bastard's mother... and I'm guessing she's hot... they've purposely made Stark's wife upstanding/respectable but mundane/unattractive... just another thing for Stark to look heroic about when he can resist the hottest tail in the realm to remain faithful to his likeable but not-so-hot wife.

She is going to play a big role, i am sure.

i can't stand ned's cuunt of a wife.

Snow's mom, you knew who i meant. don't be that person. -_-

Snow's mom, you knew who i meant. don't be that person. -_-

Didn't mean to be, just didn't want you to labor under the impression that he'd been married before. :dunno:

He just ranked best to worst the six episodes he had seen ahead of the general public. Didn't really "comment" on them beyond that. Not saying you should read them or not...just sayin' just sayin' :banana:

Didn't mean to be, just didn't want you to labor under the impression that he'd been married before. :dunno:

fair enough and noted.

Damn, I want a wolf really bad now...

FYI, they use Northern Inuit dogs to play the wolves. :wave:

Camelot has some good actors too, but the guy that plays Merlin over acts too much for me. Gets annoying.

That would be Joseph Fiennes from FlashForward...

I'm with you Dan XIII. The only character I'm interested in is the dwarf. I'd perfer the rest to be fighting or fucking when they come on the screen.

I'm with you Dan XIII. The only character I'm interested in is the dwarf. I'd perfer the rest to be fighting or fucking when they come on the screen.

the imp!

Ned and the King have a brief discussion regarding Jon Snow's mother in their conversation by the river in the second episode which I am sure you caught.

In addition, for those critical of episode 3 being heavy on exposition and character driven I would preach some patience. Totally different genre obviously but the sprawling story is much like the Wire in that you will see characters on screen maybe for a few minutes only in an episode and then they'll pop up two or three episodes later. But it is all advancing the same story in its own way and it is integral that they develop and make you care about the characters.

My criticism of episode three was the editing and fast cutting from scene to scene. Even though the show is ten episodes long my biggest fear is it is going to feel too abbreviated and lacking the depth of the novels.

:thumbsup:

that's it right there... sprinkle in some sex and violence (as they have) and we've got a winner.

some of the better line so far (I'm sure there are more):

Do you think I'm plump? :wub:

OK, I was pretty disappointed with last night's episode.

I'm tired of seeing a bunch of dressed up actors that don't actually do anything besides TELL stories about stuff that the audience never saw/knew.

I understand there is a lot of backstory that we need here, but enough... it's become Game of Storytime...

one scene cuts to another and the characters beging with, "did I ever tell you about..."

and then it cuts to another and it's, "do you know the legend of"

and then it cuts to another and it's, "I'll tell you what my father did to me"

and then another and it's, "this one time, in a brothel, I met a red-head"

and on and on and on.

worst episode so far even though there was some quality gore during the tournament.

I bet you don't. ;)

Here is why the books are so hard to stop reading. He organizes each chapter from a different characters POV. You will be ready to finish a chapter and go to bed, and you'll see the next chapter is a character you really like (Tyrion/Jon in my case) they you have to read it. Then the next chapter is Daenerys and you have to find out what happened where she left off.

I read the first book in 1998, and waited a couple years for each subsequent book to come out then read it in 5 days.

It is fun reading the discussions of people experiencing it for the first time. As with most movies (except mabye Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas") the books are a better experience than the movie/show.

Game of Thrones episode 4: Something Happens in the Last 5 Minutes

Which is better than last time around. I liked how the development with the Gay Elf King being put in his place last episode was completely forgotten in this one. It was a challenge to get through this episode. The only characters with a pulse are the little girl and the smartass dwarf, though that doesn't exactly say much surrounded as they are by a flood of flat, boring, and wooden.

Instead of developing Fatty Arbuckle at the Wall they should perhaps consider giving Sean Bean something more to do other than sitting around looking morose all the time. His role is dull and sluggish. All he does is react to what other people tell him.

Also, the show's budget is already visibly hamstringing the concept. Everything to do with the barbarians looks low rent, and there's no sense of King's Landing being anything more than a throne room and a series of repetitious bedrooms. Winterfell and the Wall have some personality, but they're small and made for TV. If the barbarians cross the channel and invade, the battles are going to feel more like that opening fight in Rome's first episode where they tried to make it look like four or five guys constituted a major Roman army.

These books needed a Peter Jackson, someone who could cut them down to size, deliver the pertinent information while jettisoning the rest. Giving the books an HBO show is like unfastening a fat man's belt.

You know, I've never actually felt like a show was actively wasting my time before, so in that respect I suppose it deserves recognition.

<_<

I'm sorry. :(

Should I delete the thread? :banana:

She is going to play a big role, i am sure.

Trust me. If you are thinking along these lines already...READ THE BOOKS!

Sorry to hear some people can't sit still long enough for a little character development. On the upside... I bet you guys are fun at parties!

Sorry to hear some people can't sit still long enough for a little character development. On the upside... I bet you guys are fun at parties!

I'm still digging it, but I understand where these jackwagons are coming from. That said, based on some of the readings I've done on the show, the next episode is supposed to have a good payoff for the last two rather tame episodes. :unsure:

I started off reading this thread feeling like I HAD to start watching this series and get my hands on the books. And now you guys are bumming me out. Which is it? Should I start and get invested or stay away?