Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Free Taylor Made Penta TP Golf Balls 6-Pack

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/testpenta

To get the FREE Taylor Made Penta TP Golf Balls 6-Pack To qualify for this (see below). They are giving away 50,000 packs!!!

• Entrants with 15 or lower index/handicap

• Entrants who play 3 or more rounds each month

• Entrants who currently play: Titleist ProV1, ProV1X; Bridgestone B330, B330 RX, B330 RXS, B330S; Callaway Tour is, Tour iz, Tour ix; Nike 20XI, 20XI-X; Nike One Black, One Tour, One TourD, One Platinum; and Srixon Z-Star, Z-Star XV

Thanks for the headsup. I bought my balls for the year (I play Pro V1x), but I registered anyway; never a bad thing to have a couple of extra balls - and one of my best friends switched from a Callaway ball to the Penta, and swears by them.

Beer is my handicap. I usually drink more than 15 in a round, should I fudge this number lower to get some free balls?

:thumbsup:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/testpenta

To get the FREE Taylor Made Penta TP Golf Balls 6-Pack To qualify for this (see below). They are giving away 50,000 packs!!!

• Entrants with 15 or lower index/handicap

• Entrants who play 3 or more rounds each month

• Entrants who currently play: Titleist ProV1, ProV1X; Bridgestone B330, B330 RX, B330 RXS, B330S; Callaway Tour is, Tour iz, Tour ix; Nike 20XI, 20XI-X; Nike One Black, One Tour, One TourD, One Platinum; and Srixon Z-Star, Z-Star XV

You're the man swirv :pointstosky:

Never been a big fan of TM balls, but I do like the name Penta - it's catchy. :thumbsup:

Side note: it bothers me Lee Westwood regained the #1 spot in the World Rankings w/out having ever won a major. :thumbsdown:

Never been a big fan of TM balls, but I do like the name Penta - it's catchy. :thumbsup:

Side note: it bothers me Lee Westwood regained the #1 spot in the World Rankings w/out having ever won a major. :thumbsdown:

mmm, thats just the way golf is without any truely dominant players right now.

winning a major is the ultimate goal and the world ranking system probably needs to be looked at but winning a major can't be the only thing that gets you number 1 and i feel like a guy who wins a bunch of tournaments worldwide should deserve to be ranked 1, even without a major.

Martin Kaymer is the guy closest to the top with the most recent major win. But its not like he deserves to stay number 1 until someone else up there wins a major. If that makes any sense.

winning a major is the ultimate goal and the world ranking system probably needs to be looked at but winning a major can't be the only thing that gets you number 1 and i feel like a guy who wins a bunch of tournaments worldwide should deserve to be ranked 1, even without a major.

Martin Kaymer is the guy closest to the top with the most recent major win. But its not like he deserves to stay number 1 until someone else up there wins a major. If that makes any sense.

I've got a pretty good grasp of the W.R.'sand how it works. It bothering me is a personal irritaion, not so much a system flaw.

I've got a pretty good grasp of the W.R.'sand how it works. It bothering me is a personal irritaion, not so much a system flaw.

right. i was more saying that i actually do think the system needs to be looked at. Becuase i don't think a player should ever elevate to number 1 during a week in which they don't even play, Like Westwood did when he initially took #1

but also i am fine with players taking number 1 just by winning a regular event. Thats how crowded it is at the top right now. which i think is a sign of the overall strength of the game, as well as a lack of true dominance.

but also i am fine with players taking number 1 just by winning a regular event. Thats how crowded it is at the top right now. which i think is a sign of the overall strength of the game, as well as a lack of true dominance.

I'm not so sure the strength of the game is all that right now. Xross the board tv ratings are down - and we're not talking just about for the John Deere Classic. Ratings for the last 2 majors in the '10 PGA and the '11 were both down from previous years. Long standing tournament venues such as Hilton Head and the Heritage are struggling to find sponsorship. Merchandise retail sales are down as well as number of rounds being played. And the World Rankings list has started to loose it's sizzle. Did you know if you take Tiger, Phil, and Ernie out of the top 20 - the other 17 golfers have a combined 4 major championships in the bank - that's weak.......... Reasons for all of this? Oh several I guess - part is Tiger and his demise, part of it is the economy, part of if is lack of true emerging stars and rivalries, and part of it is top players opting to play abroad and not soley in the US. The game will always get by with the fanatics like us - but as a whole I think the game has taken a step back.

First off thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I get some sent my way. :thumbsup:

However I have a general question for the golf heads. Unless you are single digit handicapper does the type of ball you use really matter all that much?

I simply just try to find the cheapest 3-piece ball I can find. I can tell the differece between 2 piece and 3 piece balls, but once I get past that they all seem the same to me. Top Flight makes a good 3-piece ball (The Gamer) that is really cheap but seems to do just as well. If not the Gamer I'll roll with the Tietlist NXT Tour which is much cheaper than the ProV's, or I will buy the the TaylorMade TP Blacks which is a good ball for the price.

I just can fathom paying 45 bucks or sometimes even more for a dozen golf balls. If I was a low digit handicap who could spin my irons and wedges like crazy then I can see it, but does the ball really matter if you're a 15 handicap?

However I have a general question for the golf heads. Unless you are single digit handicapper does the type of ball you use really matter all that much?

I'm a single digit, and yes it does matter to me. But it matters to me more bcoz of the environment more than it does my own personal game. I live and play in Texas, the 2nd windiest state in the country (behind n. dakota) - not only that but the heat is extreme. For the most part I am playing on hard, championship bermuda greens and in windy conditions - I would have no cofidence or ability to control a rock hard distance or value pack ball. Even balls such as the Precept Laddie and Titleist NXT feel like range balls to me. I love and play the Titleist Pro V1x bcoz of it's low spin rate and soft feel. Sure you give up some distance, but feel and spin rate are way more imprtant. That being said, if I lived in the North and regularly played bentgrass greens I could totally go to a harder ball, say the Laddie or NXT bcoz you can pretty much stop anything on that type of grass. ....... Now to a higer handicap? I agree, would be a total waste of money to play a $45 dozen golf ball - they have other issues that are of bigger concerns.

I'm a single digit, and yes it does matter to me. But it matters to me more bcoz of the environment more than it does my own personal game. I live and play in Texas, the 2nd windiest state in the country (behind n. dakota) - not only that but the heat is extreme. For the most part I am playing on hard, championship bermuda greens and in windy conditions - I would have no cofidence or ability to control a rock hard distance or value pack ball. Even balls such as the Precept Laddie and Titleist NXT feel like range balls to me. I love and play the Titleist Pro V1x bcoz of it's low spin rate and soft feel. Sure you give up some distance, but feel and spin rate are way more imprtant. That being said, if I lived in the North and regularly played bentgrass greens I could totally go to a harder ball, say the Laddie or NXT bcoz you can pretty much stop anything on that type of grass. ....... Now to a higer handicap? I agree, would be a total waste of money to play a $45 dozen golf ball - they have other issues that are of bigger concerns.

Texas golfer as well obviously. 12 handicap.

I've been playing a 2 piece ball for years as I valued distance, durability, and price over everything else. But as I've gotten better I've been playing the NXT Tour (3 piece) and I've notice a ton of difference with my short irons and wedges. With the low chip, I can get a little spin on the ball and somewhat control it, but I can't hit the 2 bounces-parachute chip that we all love.

With the pro-v1's however, I can pull the string on it. I'm thinking I'm going to become a Pro-V1 player after I finish off this dozen balls I am on now. Sucks because I always wanted to avoid spending that much on balls.

I simply just try to find the cheapest 3-piece ball I can find. I can tell the differece between 2 piece and 3 piece balls, but once I get past that they all seem the same to me. Top Flight makes a good 3-piece ball (The Gamer) that is really cheap but seems to do just as well. If not the Gamer I'll roll with the Tietlist NXT Tour which is much cheaper than the ProV's, or I will buy the the TaylorMade TP Blacks which is a good ball for the price.

I just can fathom paying 45 bucks or sometimes even more for a dozen golf balls. If I was a low digit handicap who could spin my irons and wedges like crazy then I can see it, but does the ball really matter if you're a 15 handicap?

well alot of spin has been taken out of the equation anyway

i think good players can play with any ball really but its a preference and feel thing. I can't stand hard cover golf balls. The kind that make an audible clack when putting. For me, its all about feel near the greens. The ball i play needs to feel soft.

I used to love the original Maxfli Revolutions back in the day. Buttery soft. I made the mistake of buying a dozen of a newer "revolution" a few years ago and they were like rocks. The cover was hard and shiny

The TP Blacks are a good ball for the price. Soft enough

So this Penta ball has 5 layers. :unsure:

At what point will the layers and pieces thing stop? Is this going to turn into the same thing as mens razors? The ALL NEW Gillette 7 Blade Razor!@#! Cuts even closer than the 6 Blade Razor that came out last month! In stores now.

I'm not so sure the strength of the game is all that right now. Xross the board tv ratings are down - and we're not talking just about for the John Deere Classic. Ratings for the last 2 majors in the '10 PGA and the '11 were both down from previous years. Long standing tournament venues such as Hilton Head and the Heritage are struggling to find sponsorship. Merchandise retail sales are down as well as number of rounds being played. And the World Rankings list has started to loose it's sizzle. Did you know if you take Tiger, Phil, and Ernie out of the top 20 - the other 17 golfers have a combined 4 major championships in the bank - that's weak.......... Reasons for all of this? Oh several I guess - part is Tiger and his demise, part of it is the economy, part of if is lack of true emerging stars and rivalries, and part of it is top players opting to play abroad and not soley in the US. The game will always get by with the fanatics like us - but as a whole I think the game has taken a step back.

when i said the state of golf was strong, i was refering to the amount of very good players we have now both in the states and overseas. Golbal golf is strong and so many players are capable of winning majors. And its not because fields are watered down. Part of it is the lack of dominance of a Tiger or Phil but i think its more that so many players are so good.

I completely agree with you that the economic state of golf is down. Sponsors are lacking. And ofcourse, ratings will be down with Tiger struggling because ratings include all of the casual fans who couldn't care less if they can't watch eldick

when i said the state of golf was strong, i was refering to the amount of very good players we have now both in the states and overseas. Golbal golf is strong and so many players are capable of winning majors. And its not because fields are watered down. Part of it is the lack of dominance of a Tiger or Phil but i think its more that so many players are so good.

I think golf, and the quality of play, has taken a huge step back. Yes the planet is littered with "really good" players now days - but the truly elite/great golfer just isn't found anymore.

Scoring averages of the top 10 players in the World Rankings - from 2010 down thru 2000. Golf was much stronger as a whole in years past - the reason so many have a chance to win now is bcoz the talent level has come back to the pack. True Tiger has some to do with it, but not all - the trend is xross the board.

2010 - 69.80

2009 - 69.52

2008 - 69.48

2007 - 69.30

2006 - 69.25

2005 - 69.40

2004 - 69.48

2003 - 69.17

2002 - 69.59

2001 - 69.43

2000 - 69.45

I'm a high 13, and no to me it doesn't The only thing I do is break out a Pro V on par 3's. I have so many damn golf balls from working at golf courses, getting them as gifts, and winning them in scrambles/tournaments that I have not actually bought balls in years

I think golf, and the quality of play, has taken a huge step back. Yes the planet is littered with "really good" players now days - but the truly elite/great golfer just isn't found anymore.

Scoring averages of the top 10 players in the World Rankings - from 2010 down thru 2000. Golf was much stronger as a whole in years past - the reason so many have a chance to win now is bcoz the talent level has come back to the pack. True Tiger has some to do with it, but not all - the trend is xross the board.

2010 - 69.80

2009 - 69.52

2008 - 69.48

2007 - 69.30

2006 - 69.25

2005 - 69.40

2004 - 69.48

2003 - 69.17

2002 - 69.59

2001 - 69.43

2000 - 69.45

which speaks to my point. you're basically saying what im saying.

we lack the true elite guys right now but fields as a whole are deeper. Many more "really good" golfers. The elite guys have come back the "pack" is much larger imo.

which speaks to my point. you're basically saying what im saying.

Well, not really. You believe fields are deeper in today's game - I don't. Scoring averages are up across the board and that is a direct correlation to the weakening of the field. More players have a chance to win now not bcoz they are deeper as a whole - they have a chance to win bcoz the separation between the A flight and B flight has narrowed, with the A flight coming back to the pack, not the B flight improving. If fields were deeper, xross the board, scores would reflect it - and they simply don't. That being said there are still some promising talents - but the game isn't as strong today as it was in year's past.

2010 - 69.80

2009 - 69.52

2008 - 69.48

2007 - 69.30

2006 - 69.25

2005 - 69.40

2004 - 69.48

2003 - 69.17

2002 - 69.59

2001 - 69.43

2000 - 69.45

Those scoring averages all look the exact same to me with the exception 2003 being lower and this season being higher (through half a season). :dunno:

Isn't it possible that scoring averages are up recently due to more difficult courses and larger fields (or other factors)?

Maybe........ But are courses actually more difficult now? They are longer, but the golf ball also is flying like weather balloons now too. Last year at Whilstling Straights, a course widely considered one of the more difficult on tour - we had 7 guys finish 9 under or better, two of those short hitting Zack Johnson and 83-year old Steve Elkington. This past week at Hilton Head - Brandt Snedeker said he hit 3 wood, 9 iron to the 452 yard par 4 18th, not exactly what one would consider difficult. Fields being larger? Maybe again - but I only took the scoring averages of the top 10 for each of those years. The cream of the feild is going to be strong no matter what the conditions - least it should be. The cream of today isn't as strong as it was in year's past. And when your cream isn't as strong, your field suffers.

Well, not really. You believe fields are deeper in today's game - I don't. Scoring averages are up across the board and that is a direct correlation to the weakening of the field. More players have a chance to win now not bcoz they are deeper as a whole - they have a chance to win bcoz the separation between the A flight and B flight has narrowed, with the A flight coming back to the pack, not the B flight improving. If fields were deeper, xross the board, scores would reflect it - and they simply don't. That being said there are still some promising talents - but the game isn't as strong today as it was in year's past.

I guess we disagree. We agree that the top guys have come back to the pack, and I think we agree competition is up but I happen to think there are a ton of guys good enough to win at any given major. And not just because the golf is poor. Take this years masters as a microcosm of the game

I could name a ton of golfer with games for a major. I'll do that later, gotta get back to work hahaha

Pro V1 vs Pro V1x. Thoughts?

I've been playing the NXT Tour. The last time I played the Pro V1 I loved it around the greens, but I was having a rough day with my swing and I couldn't seem to hit it straight at all. Never tried the X.

Both balls are supposed to have tons of grip/spin when playing around the green. Are they really equal there? If so, I'd probably prefer the X due to less spin on full shots. But at the same time I've heard the X requires a much higher swing speed to compress (I've read as high as 110 mph in some places). True?

I'm making the upgrade to one or the other, as I mistakenly spent years and years playing a ball that matched my game from tee to green, as oppose to playing a ball that matched my game from green to tee.

I'm making the upgrade to one or the other, as I mistakenly spent years and years playing a ball that matched my game from tee to green, as oppose to playing a ball that matched my game from green to tee.

This is really good point that most do not get - and it could make as much as a 5 stroke difference at times. I am not a long hitter - it wouldn't matter if I were playing Pinnacle Gold I'd still be hitting a hybrid into any par 4 over 440 yards long. So it makes sense, and most benefits me, to play a ball I can control and stop from 100 yards and in. The Pro V1x helps me keep the ball down out of the wind and thus I like it over the high spinning regular Pro V1.

This is really good point that most do not get - and it could make as much as a 5 stroke difference at times. I am not a long hitter - it wouldn't matter if I were playing Pinnacle Gold I'd still be hitting a hybrid into any par 4 over 440 yards long. So it makes sense, and most benefits me, to play a ball I can control and stop from 100 yards and in. The Pro V1x helps me keep the ball down out of the wind and thus I like it over the high spinning regular Pro V1.

What is your swing speed, if I may ask?

I need to get mine checked, but it isn't 110 mph. I know that much.

I have a high swing speed but it doesn't matter if I play regular or x. The difference is not great

But is probably stick with the pro v

Callaway is just as good also

What is your swing speed, if I may ask?

I need to get mine checked, but it isn't 110 mph. I know that much.

Oh, I suppose it's between 95 and 100. I am not a birdie machine or one who can overpower a golf course. My game is rather boring - try and keep in play, make 10 pars and split the other 8 with a mixture of bogeys and occasional birdie. I rarely make a big number though, that helps...... Far as Callaway balls, never been a fan of them. I think it is bcoz they always seem to discolor fast - have a dingy, worn look to them.

Oh, I suppose it's between 95 and 100. I am not a birdie machine or one who can overpower a golf course. My game is rather boring - try and keep in play, make 10 pars and split the other 8 with a mixture of bogeys and occasional birdie. I rarely make a big number though, that helps...... Far as Callaway balls, never been a fan of them. I think it is bcoz they always seem to discolor fast - have a dingy, worn look to them.

I've never played a single ball long enough to really have it get discoloured. I usually scuff or cut it long before that

Normal play can discolor them a bit but my pro v's will as well

Bridgestone makes some good players balls as well

Yea discolor is prolly a bad wording - Callaway balls have always seemed to just come dingy looking right out of the box. I do like Bridgestone as well.

Anyone have an idea when they'll be giving these out? :dunno:

The only thing ivegot is junk emails from Taylor Made and some other golf outfit. I bet the balls never show up.

Any time swirv has posted links to free balls I've gotten them. :dunno: