Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

League management problems caused by the lock-out.

I'd like all of your feedback on an issue that I'm very concerned about.

Let me say that I have been very optimistic about the prospects for having a fantasy season this year, and I still believe that we will have one. But this year, I am seeing signs that interest in fantasy football may have indeed peaked for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is a natural consequence of having fantasy football become so red-hot popular. Most of the "hard core" types that I compete against have been in anywhere from 5 to 9 leagues, and like Stonewall, some owners have naturally gotten a little burned-out.

In one very active deep keeper league I compete in we have had 3 guys resign because they felt the need to reduce their addiction to fantasy football. In that same league, one other owner has not signed in in about 2 months. And this was a very fun and challenging league. Our commissioner has advertized these openings for the last 3 weeks and hasn't got even a nibble. How much of this is due to burn-out and how much was due to the lock-out, I'll never know. But I'm concerned that that league might possibly disband.

My current semi-dynasty league has two unfilled openings, but we will probqbly fill. The commissioner of my local auction league says it looks very doubtful that we will have a league this year, even though everyone seemed to love the auction format.

I started a new dynasty league this year with rules that I was sure would attract owners very quickly. although a couple guys are on the fence, I feel pretty good about having 9 commitments right now, but since I'm deferring sign-up and league fees until after the lock-out is over, I was frankly surprised that it has taken this long. The rules for this new league are right here: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=382446

The real point is that of 6 leagues, only my local Re-draft league and my Family and Friends league are fully committed at this point.

So this seems like a very challenging year for fantasy football.

Part if this is venting, but it is a situation we should discuss. I've also noticed that fantasy website traffic is significantly lower than this time last year for for many websites, showing clear signs of a real problem.

I really don't have any solid answers, except to say that if you really like your league, support your commissioner by being extra aggressive in recruiting replacement members and extra flexible in adjusting to the uncertainty of the labor situation. i still believe we will have a season.

If anyone has something to contribute to how we can create excitement for your great pastime and maintain our leagues, we all can learn from it and be better off.

So please - sound off!

I'd like all of your feedback on an issue that I'm very concerned about.

Let me say that I have been very optimistic about the prospects for having a fantasy season this year, and I still believe that we will have one. But this year, I am seeing signs that interest in fantasy football may have indeed peaked for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is a natural consequence of having fantasy football become so red-hot popular. Most of the "hard core" types that I compete against have been in anywhere from 5 to 9 leagues, and like Stonewall, some owners have naturally gotten a little burned-out.

In one very active deep keeper league I compete in we have had 3 guys resign because they felt the need to reduce their addiction to fantasy football. In that same league, one other owner has not signed in in about 2 months. And this was a very fun and challenging league. Our commissioner has advertized these openings for the last 3 weeks and hasn't got even a nibble. How much of this is due to burn-out and how much was due to the lock-out, I'll never know. But I'm concerned that that league might possibly disband.

My current semi-dynasty league has two unfilled openings, but we will probqbly fill. The commissioner of my local auction league says it looks very doubtful that we will have a league this year, even though everyone seemed to love the auction format.

I started a new dynasty league this year with rules that I was sure would attract owners very quickly. although a couple guys are on the fence, I feel pretty good about having 9 commitments right now, but since I'm deferring sign-up and league fees until after the lock-out is over, I was frankly surprised that it has taken this long. The rules for this new league are right here: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=382446

The real point is that of 6 leagues, only my local Re-draft league and my Family and Friends league are fully committed at this point.

So this seems like a very challenging year for fantasy football. I really don't have any solid answers, except to say that if you really like your league, support your commissioner by being extra aggressive in recruiting replacement members and extra flexible in adjusting to the uncertainty of the labor situation. I still believe we will have a season.

Part if this is venting, but it is a situation we should discuss. I've also noticed that fantasy website traffic is significantly lower than this time last year for for many websites, showing clear signs of a real problem.

I really don't have any solid answers, except to say that if you really like your league, support your commissioner by being extra aggressive in recruiting replacement members and extra flexible in adjusting to the uncertainty of the labor situation. i still believe we will have a season.

If anyone has something to contribute to how we can create excitement for your great pastime and maintain our leagues, we all can learn from it and be better off.

So please - sound off!

Do you think this applys to free leagues also?

I am in a very active 32team free dynasty league and we are just starting our rookie draft.. I am finding activity to be about normal and our guys are all very excited!!

now the contrast I am in a re-draft $100 league and have found the only talk on pro-boards and league chat is about when we have to put in our league due's and when we will pay mfl.. ect/ect...

maybe guys just are not as excited because there is a trust issue involved, sure most if not all people who comish leagues are in it for the love of the passtime but there is always that fear that I am going to put either out my league dues and see what happens??

or wait till the lockout is solved and then get into football mode

and ofcourse there are still die-hards here everyday to talk too..

obviously i am in the one league you are referring to. I had a fun enough time last year but not sure in the end that i care much for the format. 10 teams 10 keepers. It was my first deep keeper league. Im used to either a full blown dynasty, redraft, or shallow keeper like say 2-4 players. So this was something new to me and i decided it was not my cup of tea. That said, i fully plan to stick with it if the league is saved.

another knock on the league which is definately no ones fault is that i'm a little turned off by the fact 3 very strong teams were abandoned only a year after i joined. I had hoped that when i filled a spot, there would not be much more turnover. I enjoy a challenge as much as the next guy but have to admit that had i known a bunch of owners would drop out the next season, I may not have joined. Afterall, taking over a team in shambles can be fun but kind of annoying when any new owners this year get to step into well-off teams. Just my 2 cents.

if nothing else its been fun seeing some of the trade addicts. definately the most active trade league ive been a part of. Gotta love seeing people strip their teams down to nothing for the sake of trade addiction :lol:

hopefully it gets off the ground this year. I need to make up that game on you.

Every single person I know who does fantasy has lamented the lockout situation and it's bullshit division of spoils millionaire squabbling. And just about every player I know has cut back on their leagues. I know I'm only doing 3 this year. And thats gonna be my limit from here on out. My brother who does like 7, has decided to do 2! Way I see it, FF really can't get much more popular...

obviously i am in the one league you are referring to. I had a fun enough time last year but not sure in the end that i care much for the format. 10 teams 10 keepers. It was my first deep keeper league. Im used to either a full blown dynasty, redraft, or shallow keeper like say 2-4 players. So this was something new to me and i decided it was not my cup of tea. That said, i fully plan to stick with it if the league is saved.

another knock on the league which is definately no ones fault is that i'm a little turned off by the fact 3 very strong teams were abandoned only a year after i joined. I had hoped that when i filled a spot, there would not be much more turnover. I enjoy a challenge as much as the next guy but have to admit that had i known a bunch of owners would drop out the next season, I may not have joined. Afterall, taking over a team in shambles can be fun but kind of annoying when any new owners this year get to step into well-off teams. Just my 2 cents.

if nothing else its been fun seeing some of the trade addicts. definately the most active trade league ive been a part of. Gotta love seeing people strip their teams down to nothing for the sake of trade addiction :lol:

hopefully it gets off the ground this year. I need to make up that game on you.

Wonder, I was just discussing via email with Eggy this very topic today. He has faith that we can keep this league together. Obviously this has been a very fun league for me,as i think i profited the most from the guy with a trade addiction. Ironically, when i committed to join, I didn't know which team was worse, yours or mine.

I'm glad you are going to stay with it if we can get enough guys. I'm really surprised and disappointed that we lost those guys, but I'm going to do everything i can to keep the league going!

BTW, Egg just committed to join my Fat Bastards Dynasty league. I'm very sure that one will fill now and it will be a fun league.

I think the lockout is the main reason for lower interest by seasoned fantasy players. The offseason was always well scheduled and all players were used to free agency happening the first of March followed by the draft. Once the OTA's happened in May we could begin speculating and doing mock drafts. Right now everything is up in the air. Some teams probably don't have their starting QB's on their roster . No free agency and the lockout will really compress the offseason even if everything is settled in July or the beginning of August. Redraft leagues will be scrambling for information if Training camps and free agency run concurrently. This is a mess !

The other factor... A lot of people are broke. I would love to play in a good free league, but I don't have the money right now to pay to play.

Like others have pointed out - the uncertainty has quelled interest to some extent. By now, the guys in our 12 team, long-standing dynasty league would have been already discussing the upcoming season, discussing keepers, making tentative trade offers, etc, etc. Instaed, I havent seen much for e-mails and our league message board is basically dead. My neighbor, who is in the league just asked if we will be moving the draft date if the NFL starts late. Thats all weve discussed fantasy-wise.

And, the NHL/NBA playoffs also take away from football a little bit this time of year too.

Oh, of course there is that bitterness that us fans feel towards these spoiled-brat focks. You almost want the league to screw them all and cause them to go broke.... it would be a silver lining for the working class stiffs.

We might have just hit the perfect storm.

1. The economy. Money as well as jobs are tight for alot of people.

2. The lockout. We really have no valuable offseason with no free agency, training camps, and maybe even no preseason. You add this to possibly a shorter season, and it doesn't seem appealing.

3. Your burnout theory. Fantasy football has peeked for so long now, with many folks playing in more leagues than they should.

If you add everything together. This is the perfect season to either re-evaluate the type of leagues you play in/and how many you play in. Or even just take a year off.

I really don't have much of an interest in playing right now. I usually have all my rankings done by now but this year I have not even started. I think fantasy players should unite and announce an end to the FF season if an agreement isn't reached by 7-1-11. Of course that will never happen because most football fans will take anything the players and owners throw at them.

I really don't have much of an interest in playing right now. I usually have all my rankings done by now but this year I have not even started. I think fantasy players should unite and announce an end to the FF season if an agreement isn't reached by 7-1-11. Of course that will never happen because most football fans will take anything the players and owners throw at them.

Not a bad idea. Honestly, the NFL and FF players could use a year off so things can get sorted out with the NFL for the future. I wouldnt mind skipping a year - as much fun as it is it does get tedious at times and being Commish I could also use a break.

I'm not in any dynasty leagues, but usually I'm starting to get twitchy for preseason prep by now. The lack of free agency has totally killed any pre-summer interest in fantasy for me. To me, there's not a lot to think about when we don't know what any of the teams will look like, or how much time any of the rookies will have to get acclimated to the NFL. It's a stretch to really, truly start ranking players before camp and the preseason get under way during regular years, and almost pointless to do it now.

The only time my mind starts wandering towards fantasy these days is when it's late and NBA games I can't quit watching are waddling through triple overtime...like now!

We might have just hit the perfect storm.

1. The economy. Money as well as jobs are tight for alot of people.

2. The lockout. We really have no valuable offseason with no free agency, training camps, and maybe even no preseason. You add this to possibly a shorter season, and it doesn't seem appealing.

3. Your burnout theory. Fantasy football has peeked for so long now, with many folks playing in more leagues than they should.

If you add everything together. This is the perfect season to either re-evaluate the type of leagues you play in/and how many you play in. Or even just take a year off.

i agree with numbers 1 and 2 but not really number 3.

1. the economy is not great so i do think some people are cutting out a few money leagues that they don't care a whole lot about. They are likely keeping their favorite leagues but elminating the ones they are a part of simply to gamble.

2. the lockout is the number 1 reason IMHO. For instance, in one of my leagues, the commish has started discussing cut down dates and dates for the draft but the NFL hasn't even resolved their issues and we may or may not have free agency? So its hard to get into the swing of things fantasy wise when so much is still up in the air.

3. I don't buy the burnout. I know many owners are cutting back on their leagues but i wonder how much it has to do with the economy versus actual burnout. Its easy to say "oh im just in too many leagues, im tired of all the FF" but in actuality the reason might be saving that extra 500-1000 this year. Or some people may be forced to work longer hours or work side jobs and that cuts into time, time that would have otherwise been devoted to FF. :dunno:

3. I don't buy the burnout. I know many owners are cutting back on their leagues but i wonder how much it has to do with the economy versus actual burnout. Its easy to say "oh im just in too many leagues, im tired of all the FF" but in actuality the reason might be saving that extra 500-1000 this year. Or some people may be forced to work longer hours or work side jobs and that cuts into time, time that would have otherwise been devoted to FF. :dunno:

For me it's the burnout.

For me it's the burnout.

it can definately be nurnout for some people. 2 years ago i cut my leagues down to 4-5 from like 8 not exactly because i was burnt but more because i didnt like having all those rosters to keep track of.

but for so many people to be burned out right now? idk seems too coincidental

it can definately be nurnout for some people. 2 years ago i cut my leagues down to 4-5 from like 8 not exactly because i was burnt but more because i didnt like having all those rosters to keep track of.

but for so many people to be burned out right now? idk seems too coincidental

I don't think there's been a sudden burnout, but it's a trend I've definitely noticed over the course of the last couple years. The nonsense with players and owners, coupled with the uncertainty if there will be a season, probably just brings it more to light.

I've set a personal deadline. If this lockout results in two weeks or less of training camp, I believe I'll pass this year. We have many debates regarding luck vs skill in FF. A non-camp, which is what two weeks will amount to, will result in the poor teams being even worse, and even the good teams needing several weeks to find a groove. It will render most rookies and new acquisitions worthless until deep into the season. Injuries will increase. The contest will become more luck than ever.

I'm personally excited by the notion of the lockout affecting late drafts and potentially league-mates.

This years draft is going to separate the experts from the casual fans. You don't have the long period of time where you can read every single theory on who is the latest stud, who's overrated, who's going to late, too early, etc. Basically...it takes us back to four or five years ago when we had to do our OWN research and not rely on the mainstream newsfeed.

I might be taking the offseason off moreso than usual, but I'm still focused and updating my sleepers, busts, value players, and ready to update it depending on how FA plays out.

I think the closer it gets, the more anticipation will build within us all.

I'm personally excited by the notion of the lockout affecting late drafts and potentially league-mates.

This years draft is going to separate the experts from the casual fans. You don't have the long period of time where you can read every single theory on who is the latest stud, who's overrated, who's going to late, too early, etc. Basically...it takes us back to four or five years ago when we had to do our OWN research and not rely on the mainstream newsfeed.

I might be taking the offseason off moreso than usual, but I'm still focused and updating my sleepers, busts, value players, and ready to update it depending on how FA plays out.

This is your idea of a casual fan?

4 or 5 years ago things were just like they are today, you have to go back about 15 years.

I'm still interested as ever. In fact, I think you can really gain an edge this year by gleaming whatever information is out there while others get turned off cause of the current labor dispute. At some point, they will play. At some point, you will draft.

I'm still interested as ever. In fact, I think you can really gain an edge this year by gleaming whatever information is out there while others get turned off cause of the current labor dispute. At some point, they will play. At some point, you will draft.

Says the guy who quit are league this year. :unsure:

Says the guy who quit are league this year. :unsure:

I prefer not to say why I quit that league. Will miss the early draft...that is for sure. :wave:

I prefer not to say why I quit that league. Will miss the early draft...that is for sure. :wave:

You're missing out. Delay already made the first pick today (after keepers - 7 players kept), he took Andre Johnson. Officially the clock doesn't start until June 1st though.

This is your idea of a casual fan?

4 or 5 years ago things were just like they are today, you have to go back about 15 years.

Perhaps I undershot my timeline by about 5-10 years...but you get the point. And while people here are generally knowledgeable regardless of what a site or some guru says...

I'm guessing that a lot of mocks you participate in at the end of august will have some people scratching their heads moreso than usual. Early drafts are potentially rendered moot at this current point in time, and of course my main money leagues draft is generally done after the third week of preseason.

But consider even yourself or others here. Are you not already pegging certain players that have stayed in a familiar system (adrian Peterson) above others with new coaches (frank gore, Chris Johnson), new teams (potentially steve smith), new players (jonathan Stewart)

While Chris Johnson is still an elite player and should be drafted highly...do you not view it as a potential reach if someone takes him first this year considering that he has a new head coach, they lost their D-line coach, and they have a rookie quarterback? All the while nothing is giving them familiarity within a pro offense when and if they're working out together at some high school.

Essentially what I'm saying is...I'm still focused on this upcoming season from a fantasy perspective. But even if one person in my league isn't as much as normal, that gives me an advantage I wouldn't have had otherwise. Particularly if they're drafting near me ;)