Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Computer geeks - Virtualization - do you use it?

it is pretty focking sick stuff.

My company is almost 75% virtual servers and maybe 25% virtual PCs.

Love it :wub:

I use Windows Millennium :)

:reported:

Yes..we are heavy users of VMWare and Citrix. About the only thing left physical is the high I/O apps like SQL and Exchange.

At my job, virtualization has been insanely useful, because I do software support for a product that can be set up with any number of different operating systems, database servers, application servers, etc. We have this kickass system too where you can check out a virtual machine and deploy the desired image to it that already has the software installed that you're looking for. You then just remote desktop to the virtual machine and do whatever the hell you want with it, before it gets checked back in and wiped.

As for the home, I've been using VIrtual Box to test out some Linux distributions.

Yup. Work for a small s/w firm and work from home. I have to test our s/w on a at least 6-8 different environments, and sometimes emulate unique customer environments when they're having issues or requests. Plus, many of our customers use virtualization so I have to be sure no issues arise as a result of virtualization itself. Virtualization allows me to have as many servers as I need to perform my work. Have 3 live boxes in the basement but it seems like I have 20, with anywhere from 4-10 servers live at any given time.