Sign in to follow this  
edjr

SOURCE: NFL lockout almost over

http://www.eagletribune.com/breakingnews/x2088983289/SOURCE-NFL-lockout-is-over

A deal to end the National Football League's lockout is almost complete, according to an NFL source.

According to the source, owners and players were close to an agreement today to end the lockout, which entered its 86th day today.

Some coaches and players have been contacted about returning to work probably early next week and possibly as soon as this weekend.

The two sides were meeting secretly in Manhattan the last three days. Included in those meetings were Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Commissioner Roger Goodell, Judge Arthur Boylan and NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith.

The group reportedly met last week in Chicago.

This means that the season is expected to begin, as scheduled on Thursday, Sept. 8, when the New Orleans Saints play at Green Bay.

This is auspicious news. :thumbsup:

I'll save my more emphatic emoticons for when the deal is done.

This is auspicious news. :thumbsup:

I'll save my more emphatic emoticons for when the deal is done.

Agreed.....im not blowing all my good emoticons on this yet.

And like someone on the site said......why would someone leak this to some crappy Eagle Tribune??

And like someone on the site said......why would someone leak this to some crappy Eagle Tribune??

Has nothing to do with the paper, really.

It's all about the reporter and who he knows and what they know.

Has nothing to do with the paper, really.

It's all about the reporter and who he knows and what they know.

I dunno....not sure id jump all over that one.

I hope hes right....but kind of an odd outlet to leak it to. If you had inside info....you leaking that to ESPN or to the Fargo Herald Paper?

I dunno....not sure id jump all over that one.

I hope hes right....but kind of an odd outlet to leak it to. If you had inside info....you leaking that to ESPN or to the Fargo Herald Forum Paper?

<_<

And to this news :banana:

Massachusetts paper publishes false alarm about the end of the lockout

By Doug Farrar

We just published a post about the encouragement that could be gained by the ongoing talks between the owners and players, and the reasonable quotes put forward by New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft. Things seem to be rolling, but it's possible that one overeager writer -- Bill Burt of the North Andover Eagle Tribune -- got a bit ahead of himself.

In a story titled "SOURCE: NFL lockout almost over," Burt actually says that the lockout IS over.

A deal to end the National Football League's lockout is almost complete, according to an NFL source.

According to an the source, owners and players were close to an agreement today to end the lockout, which entered its 86th day today.

Some coaches and players have been contacted about returning to work probably early next week and as soon as this weekend.

According to an NFL source, owners and players have tentatively reached an agreement to end the lockout, which entered its 86th day today.

Some coaches and players have been contacted about returning to work probably early next week and as soon as this weekend.

Burt's story says that the 2011 schedule will go on as planned, with the New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers facing each other on Thursday, September 8.

Here's the problem: Not only has nobody else carried this story; but everyone involved agrees that there are many steps remaining before an agreement can be reached. Now, there may have been miracles performed in those recent meetings, but until we hear more, we'll stand down and wait for official word.

UPDATE: And here's the official word, brought via Twitter by George Atallah, DeMaurice Smith's right-hand man at the NFLPA:

Ummm..no.

Related: Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE end it today! I would love to see free agency going full tilt over the weekend!

Jesus titsballsgonadsohmy......read what i posted above.

sigh...just get a deal done damnit.

They have so much money to lose from not getting this done before the first week

sigh...just get a deal done damnit.

They have so much money to lose from not getting this done before the first week

First week hell. They need to get it done sooner than that. Half the teams rosters are in limbo clusterfock.

Take my titans. Jake Locker is the starter defacto, since he is the only QB besides Rusty Smith on the damn roster. But he is, of course, not under contract. And we need to sign a vet.

And then there is CJ, who is under contract, but a new deal has to be done.

Most teams have similar problems.

First week hell. They need to get it done sooner than that. Half the teams rosters are in limbo clusterfock.

Take my titans. Jake Locker is the starter defacto, since he is the only QB besides Rusty Smith on the damn roster. But he is, of course, not under contract. And we need to sign a vet.

Well, my Niners are in one of the bigger limbos. New coach, new rookie QB, and some dbag named Alex Smith who still thinks he has the starting QB job. Not if the fans have any say...

Yeah the teams with new qb's are essentially effed. However...i have a hard time buying that ohhhhh maybe a playbook gets left somewhere...and maaaaayyybbee a coach and player happen to meet for a drink somewhere...and amazingly both just happened to have a playbook to go over. Im just sayin.

-- Bill Burt of the North Andover Eagle Tribune --

It's actually the Lawrence Eagle Tribune, but it is located in North Andover, just over the Lawrence line.

Carry on........

Yeah the teams with new qb's are essentially effed. However...i have a hard time buying that ohhhhh maybe a playbook gets left somewhere...and maaaaayyybbee a coach and player happen to meet for a drink somewhere...and amazingly both just happened to have a playbook to go over. Im just sayin.

Oh, I have no doubt that all sorts of shenanigans are going on, but most rookies suck even with a full training camp and preseason, let alone preparing via clandestine meetings.

It does appear we are reaching the end here. The players seem to realize that the appeals court is not going to rule in their favor, and they are better off dealing now.

It does appear we are reaching the end here. The players seem to realize that the appeals court is not going to rule in their favor, and they are better off dealing now.

We can hope!! :cheers:

I would assume if they say the season will start sept 8th, that it will stay at 16 games and 4 preseason :thumbsdown:

Discussions regarding a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL owners and players are estimated to be 80-85 percent of the way done, according to Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com. Freeman's report includes a quote from one source that says that at this point, it would be "very difficult" to screw things up. Several reports indicated that the owners and players are meeting this week in suburban Washington, D.C., in the latest attempt to bring a resolution to the longest work stoppage in NFL history. For more NFL news, check out weei.com/patriots.

:music_guitarred:

Discussions regarding a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL owners and players are estimated to be 80-85 percent of the way done, according to Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com. Freeman's report includes a quote from one source that says that at this point, it would be "very difficult" to screw things up. Several reports indicated that the owners and players are meeting this week in suburban Washington, D.C., in the latest attempt to bring a resolution to the longest work stoppage in NFL history. For more NFL news, check out weei.com/patriots.

:music_guitarred:

Let's hope this is true. :thumbsup:

Why are these considered "secret" meetings? Hell, several news sources are constantly reporting on them as they move from city to city to hold them. What's so secret about them?

:dunno:

http://sidelionreport.com/2011/06/14/more-encouraging-signs-point-to-possibility-of-nfl-lockout-resolution/

NFL lockout could end as early as this week

(WFRV)-- Apparent rumors have been swirling about light at the end of the tunnel for the NFL lockout, and it could happen as early as this week.

Reports indicate owners have been presented with a preliminary deal.

Roger Goodell presented the proposal and now the Commissioner and his committee will meet with reps in Boston today and tomorrow.

Those who have actually seen the paperwork indicate players would receive under half of all revenue.

And no specifics have been given in regards to a rookie wage scale or a decision on a longer regular season.

Players agreeing to 48% will be big.

But I feel like the rookie pay scale will also be a big one that they will need to work with the players on before we get football again

Players agreeing to 48% will be big.

But I feel like the rookie pay scale will also be a big one that they will need to work with the players on before we get football again

The players have no objection to a rookie scale. More money for the veterans. That was just a bargaining chip for the players.

League won't lift lockout based on agreement in Principle

I can't say I blame them, but man....that sucks. Definitely puts a delay on things a bit

That is stupid. They need to do one of two things...

1. Lift the lockout on the assumption that the deal is largely done.

Or, if they aren't comfortable with that...

2. Rent a hotel ballroom, hire caterers, and lock the focking doors until it is bygod done.

I'm actually getting more optimistic that the rumors are true this time.

I'm actually getting more optimistic that the rumors are true this time.

:thumbsup:

edjr, breaking news for FFT for MANY YEARS! :cheers:

1 hour ago, edjr said:

just something else you'll end up quitting.

2 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

just something else you'll end up quitting.

:pointstosky:

5 hours ago, edjr said:

Yes, without you I wouldn’t know there was a new Justin Bieber video complete with pink hair dye job. You think I’m grateful for that?! 🙄

YOU DAMN RIGHT I AM! You got that yummy yum, that yummy yum La la la!

20 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Yes, without you I wouldn’t know there was a new Justin Bieber video complete with pink hair dye job. You think I’m grateful for that?! 🙄

YOU DAMN RIGHT I AM! You got that yummy yum, that yummy yum La la la!

:doublethumbsup: