Sign in to follow this  
rehdjac

Keepers entered, players not coming off sheets

Love the combined products this year guys. Awesome job.

That said, having problems with a keeper/draft league that I did not have in the past. Tab 1 Rules are set: League is designated Keeper / Cost Draft Pick / Max 3. When I assign players to teams via the pull downs on the Keeper Tab, nothing happens to the players on the Offense Tab, the Overall Tab, nor the Summary Tab.

Even money is on me doing something stupid, but maybe you can help me figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Yep, me again. These are my annual two suggestions. Probably, what, eight years running or something? (Oh, just checked my sig, TEN YEARS! I'm old.)

1) It would be triple A cool to be able set the color which the sheets highlight players on the Overall tab in order to coincide with what ever draft sticker package someone happens to be using. Now that there are only two colors possible (what's with that by the way?) this would be even more beneficial.

2) You really need to charge more money for this product. Every time I buy it I feel like I'm ripping you guys off.

Oh, should point out that the same set up (obviously excepting those required) for my auction league performs perfectly.

/boggled

Hi rehdjac. Glad to have you back! And the feedback too! I must have gone into some description in the past about how to change the colors, no? It is all in the conditional formatting. But the trick, and especially with the older version Excel, is you need to highlight the right sections that have identical conditional formatting rules. This isn't that easy. Actually, the overall tab should be fairly easy in that respect. Try doing it in sections one-third (1-80), one-third (81-160), one-third (161-240) across that cheatsheet. Highlight the whole thing, select Format > Conditional Formatting, and if it shows you the "rules" you can hit the Format button and change the highlight color to whatever you like.

As for why only two options, well, it is because of the limitation of conditional formatting. Especially in older version of Excel it only allows 3 different rules. I need one for marking the player as being drafted (the light grey text with white background) so that leaves 2 rules for position highlighting.

Now, on to the issue about the keepers, so you have it set to Keepers Cost a Draft Pick. When you select and draft pick, does it move the player to that pick on the draft report tab. Did you hit Compile Cheatsheets after changing that option on the rules tab? That would be my first guess. Second guess would be, did you enable macros prior to the time you input keepers and selected the appropriate draft pick? You're right, it should definitely work.

Now, on to the issue about the keepers, so you have it set to Keepers Cost a Draft Pick. When you select and draft pick, does it move the player to that pick on the draft report tab. Did you hit Compile Cheatsheets after changing that option on the rules tab? That would be my first guess. Second guess would be, did you enable macros prior to the time you input keepers and selected the appropriate draft pick? You're right, it should definitely work.

Ah, hell. I didn't see that draft slot pull down on the Keeper tab. That's new to this combined edition eh what? So, on the Keeper tab, for draft leagues, you need to manually enter which draft slot the player takes up, correct? If that's the case, how does the compiler options "Reset Keepers" and "Reset Draft Order and Picks" interact with the Keeper tab?

Here's what I just tried:

1) Selected Chris Johnson as a keeper, put him in slot 1.01. (Checked sheets, and yes, he came off, and the summary updated. Hooray! But...)

2) Entered "yes" for the "Reset Draft Order and Picks" but "no" for "Reset Keepers". (We haven't selected draft order yet. I know who I'm keeping, but, do not know order. That's why I chose these options.)

After compiling, my Keeper tab is the same and lists Johnson at 1.01, however, he is now not listed in the Summary, and he's back on the Offense and Overall tabs.

Is the above how it's intended to work? Am I making any sense?

You are making sense. It is a bit funny the way it works, and this has just come to my attention recently.

When I set those options "Reset Keepers" is intended to wipe out the keepers tab. "Reset Draft Picks" is intended to wipe out the draft report or auction report tab. That seemed pretty straight forward.

However, the thing with keeper leagues that cost a draft pick, the way that works is you select the pick being forfeit to keep a player, and the CC/DB copies the player from the keepers tab over to the draft report tab beside the pick being given up. This is the only way to take away that pick so it isn't used in the draft.

When that happens though, it creates a disconnect between the keepers tab and the draft report tab. To clear that kept player, he needs to be higlighted on the draft report tab (the yellow cells under Pos and Player), and hit Delete. Similar thing happens if you select the wrong draft pick the first time and then change it. CC/DB will copy the player to the first spot, and then the second spot. A user would need to manually delete the first spot.

That is why Clear Keepers doesn't exactly clear keepers completely for these types of leagues.

It would be nice if this worked better, I realize, but I don't have a better idea right now so this is something I'll have to keep tinkering with going forward.

BTW, the draft pick drop-down on the keepers tab was in Draft Buddy last year :)

BTW, the draft pick drop-down on the keepers tab was in Draft Buddy last year :)

Lies!

Thanks for the reply Mike, I'll check it out.