Sign in to follow this  
montana

The Worst pick you've seen this year?

I was helping a neighbour out last night in his first ever FF draft (I'm not in the league - unfortunate cuz most were noobs).10 team league where only 4 guys have ever played before. They're older guys (all 50+ years old - work league I think). Standard league with 1 flex (RB/WR/TE).

He had the 5 spot & took CJ.

#6 took Vick (not horrible, but I wouldn't).

Then #7 takes....wait for it.........

Cam Newton!

I know we live in the Charlotte area but dayum people!

:banana:

Yea, this guy sounds like the guy who I'm in a league with. He goes in the following order: #1 pick: random top 5 QB he likes #2. Some player he coulda got in the 4th round that has a recognizable name

#3. Player from the team he roots for that woulda been there in the 6th round #4. Rookie #5. Defense #6. Probably cam newton this year and so on.

My main draft starts in a few hours but we have a guy who every year screws up his 4th round pick.

2 years ago is was Daren Sproles and last year it was Robert Meachem. We are all waiting to see who it is this year. I want to put my money on Burress.

it's not a draft pick, it's a waiver wire add by an owner trying to block the Arian Foster owner. Guy immediately went out and plucked Steve Slaton off the WW.

Worst ive seen was this year when we added a friend of mine that has never played to our league. He drafted from the two spot and his picks went 1. Brees (we are all Saints fans and kinda expected that reach) 2. Collie (I consider this his worst pick) 3. Miles Austin 4. Beanie 5. Vernon 6. Brandon Jacobs 7. Reggie Bush (he always loved him as a saint.. named his dog reggie) 8. Tolbert 9. Jordy Nelson 10. Falcons D (as a Brees owner and Saints fan I dont see how you do that) 11. Sanchez 12. Mason Crosby 13. James Jones 14. Giants D 15. Marion Barber 16. Dustin Keller

Hope he learns from his mistakes and comes back next year as a better player... but this is the worst team I've ever seen drafted. I was generous and gave him one victory on the season when I did my preseason power rankings of our league.

I am in a re-draft league and a guy picked Mike Leshoure as his 13th pick. Leshoure is out for the season... LOL -- and yet Danny Woodhead was still available...:-)

I was helping a neighbour out last night in his first ever FF draft (I'm not in the league - unfortunate cuz most were noobs).10 team league where only 4 guys have ever played before. They're older guys (all 50+ years old - work league I think). Standard league with 1 flex (RB/WR/TE).

Cam Newton!

redraft league...6th rd....John Kuhn :dunno:

and i know for a fact that this person is sober so beer/crack factor can't account for it.....

Worst ive seen was this year when we added a friend of mine that has never played to our league. He drafted from the two spot and his picks went 1. Brees (we are all Saints fans and kinda expected that reach) 2. Collie (I consider this his worst pick) 3. Miles Austin 4. Beanie 5. Vernon 6. Brandon Jacobs 7. Reggie Bush (he always loved him as a saint.. named his dog reggie) 8. Tolbert 9. Jordy Nelson 10. Falcons D (as a Brees owner and Saints fan I dont see how you do that) 11. Sanchez 12. Mason Crosby 13. James Jones 14. Giants D 15. Marion Barber 16. Dustin Keller

Hope he learns from his mistakes and comes back next year as a better player... but this is the worst team I've ever seen drafted. I was generous and gave him one victory on the season when I did my preseason power rankings of our league.

He'll prolly win the league.

Easily the worst/funniest pick (that had decent intention behind it) was last year.

14 team league. He was picking around maybe 11th or it might have even been 13th....doesn't matter.

Anyway he wanted to draft Andre Johnson/Matt Shaub as a combo. Ok great. So you draft Andre in the first round and grab Shaub, who probably wouldn't have gone until the 3rd/4th or later last year, in the second. Plan achieved.

But wait for it, he pulls a bonehead and puts Matt Shaub on the board in the first round only to see WR Andre Johnson go off the board with the next pick and he flips his ######.

We laugh hysterically. Ahh the glory of the live draft.

I've been in one league since the mid 90's. We have a guy that is a good FF player, but nearly always purposely makes a crazy pick at some point. One year he took Al Del Greco in the 1st Round! He were absolutely dieing. He somehow managed to make the playoffs. :lol:

In my 8-team keeper league (can keep 3 guys), if you want to keep a guy you have to give up a pick two rounds ahead of where he was drafted and it goes up two rounds every year (you draft someone in the 7th, you have to give up a 5th to keep him next year, then a 3rd if you want to keep him again the following year).

A guy who only had two keepers turned two trades down that could have gotten him either Ahmad Bradshaw (give up a 5th to keep him) or Shonne Greene (give up a 10th to keep him).

His 1st round pick? - Ahmad Bradshaw

2nd round pick? - Shonne Greene

Neither can be kept next year. :lol:

uhhh, aside from the Brees and Collie reach, what did he do wrong? I see a few more slight reaches but he seems to have drafted good players. Beanie, Jacobs, Bush and Tolbert is a less than ideal backfield but manageable if Beanie continues to look good. He got a top QB and a top TE and Austin+Collie aint a bad WR combo.

My good friend and arch FF nemesis took Ryan Williams in our live draft AFTER news came out that he blew out his knee. He thought he was all clever going after the sleeper upside rookie. We all were razzing him like crazy. It was really the highlight of draft night. I had taken Beanie Wells the round prior and someone even commented, "Seeing Wells go off the board should have been a dead giveaway that something was up."

Wasn't this year, but the first time I ever played fantasy football, I had ZERO idea what I was doing. 4th round pick? That's right.....Olindo Mare. Guys in my league madefun of me all year for that one.......

just finished work league 10 team. Guy picking from 4 spot, GB Packers. Thats right. Guy in the 5th spot 3rd round pick, Seabass K Oak.

Needless to say made me feel disgusted with the team i ended up with.. in a good way.

New kid in our fun, ultra NON-competitive 10-team PPR. He's maybe 14 yrs old, and talking all expert and shiot before the draft. Early 2nd round he takes... Jonathan Stewart. Nice pick, kid. :thumbsup:

My favorite part of the draft though was the guy in the two hole, got to the 14th round (15 total) and realized that he only had one RB on his roster. It's a start 2RB/2WR/1-flex league. I suggested he take McGahee and M. Bush who were the two best RBs left IMO.

A Foster at #3 overall after his first hammy injury.

I could see this if someone picked him #3 now but just about everyone thought it was no big deal after Hammygate #1.

Cam Newton!

Brett Favre went in the 11h round in a league I drafted on Thursday...... I just SMH

Check out my newest article for Can of Corn Sports: Preseason Player Updates........Own Your Dumb Friends at Fake Football

http://can-of-corn.com/2011/09/02/the-know-it-all-preseason-updates/

Kyle Stafford

@KStafford32

Back in the '90s a work buddy asked our commissioner to help him set up a league like the one we had going for a couple years. They were short a couple guys so a friend from my league and I volunteered to take the last two teams. We were the only guys with any FF experience.

Anyway, the one guy (Mo Whiffen was his actual name LOL!) was a transplanted Bostonian and a huge N.E. homer. He draws an early pick and asks, "Does anyone have the Patriots?" So we are like, "dude, you pick individual players yada yada..." Explaining to him again what FF is.

So, his first round pick is Bledsoe. 2nd is Vinatierri, and 3rd he takes Sam Gash. We are practically pissing ourselves. Even the other noobs grasp what is going on here.

My buddy (who, he and I draft such stacked teams that the hardest part is figuring out who to leave on the bench) draws this guy Mo, week one. My pal is laughing his ass off. Don't you know Bledsoe goes out and tosses 5 TDs and I think Gash actually cashes in two himself and this Mo guy routs my friend. He then wins in week two as well!

He then lost 11 in a row to close out the season.

I'll never forget that year and I always think when some homer drafts a team, I think of the "Mo Whiffen Strategy"!

I think I've got a winner. This owner is in a paid money league with me at fantasybowl. With his 12th pick he took Fitz and then the his next pick, which was the 13th since he was picking last, he took Kyle Orton. Then these are the rest of his picks in order. This draft took place a few days ago:

Best

Manning

Jimmy Graham

Sproles

Torain

Bees

Denver

Pettigrew

Clayton

Kaeding

Giants

Hartley

The worst paid league draft I've ever seen. Heck, might be the worst draft of any kind I've seen. Here's the proof:

http://www.fantasybowl.com/2011/?LeagueID=21631&Page=Roster&TeamID=237096&Time=8455

Guy picked Ingram in 2nd round :shocking: That might not be horrible but it is when his RBs are...

-Ingram

-McGahee

-Torrain

-Jerome Harrison

Ive never seen a roster of RB's this horrible to start a season, especially in a $100 league. Not huge money but still. Just wish he was in my division

Big if but if Collie stays healthy and does what he did last yr this guy will win 5-6 games

1.12 - Philip River

2.01 - Gates. :unsure:

3.12 - DJax

4.01 - Steelers Def

5 QB's in the first round. Packers at 3.10

I draft with mental midgets, yet I have only won the league once?? Sharks & Guppies.

My first four rounds:

A. Foster (drafted just before the 49'er game started)

Roddy White

Megatron

Miles Austin

I problem won't make the playoffs... lol

Sorry I know it says this year but last year a guy in one of my money leagues drafted #19 from the seahawks in the 7th round (15 round draft). As commish i said what's his name so I can put him in when I enter our draft (offline). He said "I don't know but he was a beast in last weeks preseason game". Well guess what, wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he got cut before the season started. Not sure if it was really #19 but he did draft a number.

We had a guy keep Hines Ward for a 6th rd pick. He could have kept Mike Wallace for a 10th....but he didn't. He took over another owners team in our keeper league, so he is our rookie. He got hazed pretty hard for his keeper, and we made him our draft board b!tch.

We're doing a league at work with a bunch of beginners, and one sweet girl who knows nothing about football at all decided to buck the suggestions from Yahoo! and draft Peyton Manning in the first, Reggie Bush in the second, Jake Locker(!) in the third, and Eli Manning in the fourth. Later in the draft she grabbed Matt Hasselbeck, presumably to bolster her qb corps. It was kind of amazing. She will probably win it all.

L Blount with the third overall pick. Dooshbag: How can you go wrong with Blount?

Was a draft I was watching at a friends bar.

Playing in an auction format. It's hard to say who overpaid the most. Considering I got Run DMC at $45, I thought $61 was really a redonkulous price to pay for Foster.

Playing in an auction format. It's hard to say who overpaid the most. Considering I got Run DMC at $45, I thought $61 was really a redonkulous price to pay for Foster.

Maybe YOU overpaid the most. I have an auction league where I got Foster for $48 and McFadden for $30.

Maybe YOU overpaid the most. I have an auction league where I got Foster for $48 and McFadden for $30.

I was shocked at what RBs were going for with a $200 budget. Rice, CJ, Foster, all went for $55+ in my league. I got Brees at $23, Calvin Johnson at $43, Anquan Boldin at like $15, $17 for Jason Witten. $15 for Mike Tolbert, $9 for Thomas Jones .... I like my draft.

I was shocked at what RBs were going for with a $200 budget. Rice, CJ, Foster, all went for $55+ in my league. I got Brees at $23, Calvin Johnson at $43, Anquan Boldin at like $15, $17 for Jason Witten. $15 for Mike Tolbert, $9 for Thomas Jones .... I like my draft.

Here's mine...

Peyton Manning 20

Kevin Kolb 1

Arian Foster 48

Darren McFadden 30

Marshawn Lynch 2

Brandon Jacobs 1

Larry Fitzgerald 40

Stevie Johnson 20

Mike Sims-Walker 5

Pierre Garcon 2

Braylon Edwards 1