Sign in to follow this  
SeattleBoiler

New Auction League - what do to with bench?

Setting up the compiler for an auction draft. This is a brand new league, so I have no history on how owners will draft.

Setup is: QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex, K, DEF

And then 7 extra roster spots

How I choose to allocate those 7 in the "Backups per team" setup seems to have a massive impact on suggested auction prices, especially one position relative to the other.

Given I have no idea if most teams will take a total of 3,4,5 RBs, what should I do? My gut says to allocate the 7 into: 1 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR.

Any thoughts/advice?

I think the 1-3-3 is pretty good, but I think I'd spread it out a little more. How about this:

QB = 1, RB = 2.5, WR = 2.5, TE = 0.5, K = 0.25, DEF = 0.25

Also make sure to change the overall ranking method to Compiler Auction Recommended, and then hit Compile Cheatsheets.

That should be a fun auction with it being the first time. Don't be afraid to go after the studs you really want early, because people may be skittish to bid very high and get scared off easily. Or, if everyone is getting right into it and overspending, no one will have a ton of money left to buy players later on and they will go for much less than initially expected. My advice: try to quickly figure out the flow of the auction, adjust and go with the flow. Good luck!

I think the 1-3-3 is pretty good, but I think I'd spread it out a little more. How about this:

QB = 1, RB = 2.5, WR = 2.5, TE = 0.5, K = 0.25, DEF = 0.25

Also make sure to change the overall ranking method to Compiler Auction Recommended, and then hit Compile Cheatsheets.

That should be a fun auction with it being the first time. Don't be afraid to go after the studs you really want early, because people may be skittish to bid very high and get scared off easily. Or, if everyone is getting right into it and overspending, no one will have a ton of money left to buy players later on and they will go for much less than initially expected. My advice: try to quickly figure out the flow of the auction, adjust and go with the flow. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I'm not sure I should award any bench spots to K/DEF, as I really don't think anyone will take a second one. I tried 1-3-3 for now.

I definitely went compiler auction recommended. I'm a bit worried that it is overvaluing RB's. It's telling me the Top RBs are in the $60 range, WR's in the $27 range, and QB in the $30 range. Therefore, in the overall tab the first 19 pick recommendations are RBs...that seems off, doesn't it? Especially given we only have 1 RB on the roster...

It is putting Baseline Ranks as follows: QB: 12.8, RB: 51.8, WR: 34.5 - based on 20 QBs taken, 40 RBs, and 50 WRs?

It does seem high, but it depends on the scoring. You could start 3 RB versus only 2 WR. Does that make sense given the projected fantasy points? How many projected points does the 51st ranked RB have, and how many for the 34th WR?

It does seem high, but it depends on the scoring. You could start 3 RB versus only 2 WR. Does that make sense given the projected fantasy points? How many projected points does the 51st ranked RB have, and how many for the 34th WR?

If you want, I can email you my setup/spreadsheet - draft is tonight so I want to get this right.

51st RB is Deji Karim, 71.4 points

34th WR is Jacoby Ford, 104.6 points

For reference

-#1 QB, Vick, is 384.

-#1 RB, Foster, is 275.

=#1 WR, AJohnson, is 193.

Our scoring is standard, no PPR. 1 point per 10 yards rushing or receiving, 6 points for TD. No bonuses, PPR, etc.

So I guess I'm surprised 1 RB + 2 flex weighs RBs so heavily?

Like I said, the fact you can start 3 RB and only 2 WR is heavily weighing the RBs. I don't think it is off. That is probably accurate. It is not like the WRs are outscoring the RBs at the top end. When you have two players - a RB and a WR - scoring very close to one another, the RB is typically going to be more valuable because he is more consistent week to week and has the opportunity for more points (more upside), because he gets more touches than a WR.

If you want to tinker with it a little, you can change the baseline adjust factor for each position. Make the WR more valuable by changing their adjustment to 1.1 or 1.2, and bring down the RB by changing to 0.9 perhaps. Then hit Compile again to see the difference.

We might be getting a little bogged down in the detail at this point. The auction values for these later players is going to be dictated a lot by how the owners spend their money in the early going.

Like I said, the fact you can start 3 RB and only 2 WR is heavily weighing the RBs. I don't think it is off. That is probably accurate. It is not like the WRs are outscoring the RBs at the top end. When you have two players - a RB and a WR - scoring very close to one another, the RB is typically going to be more valuable because he is more consistent week to week and has the opportunity for more points (more upside), because he gets more touches than a WR.

If you want to tinker with it a little, you can change the baseline adjust factor for each position. Make the WR more valuable by changing their adjustment to 1.1 or 1.2, and bring down the RB by changing to 0.9 perhaps. Then hit Compile again to see the difference.

We might be getting a little bogged down in the detail at this point. The auction values for these later players is going to be dictated a lot by how the owners spend their money in the early going.

Good point. The reason I'm so focused on it is that I believe most owners will just be using the ESPN auction values, so I want to know what I'm in for. If that's the case, they are going to bid the top QB's up to $50-$60, and the top WRs up to $40+...so I'll overvalue RBs vs. them, and undervalue WR/QB.

So I either need to live with a bunch of stud RBs, and a second tier QB and WR set, or adjust my values going into the draft...