Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Nicks a question mark for week 2?

Latest from CBS:

Giants coach Tom Coughlin held WR Hakeem Nicks (knee) out of practice on Wednesday as the team prepares for a Monday night game against the Rams in Week 2. Coughlin confirmed that Nicks has a bone bruise in his knee, but added he has "no idea" if Nicks will be ready to play this week. Coughlin did say that Nicks is "making pretty good progress." Nicks said he feels better and is confident he will play Monday. "I don't see myself not playing Monday night," Nicks said.

(Updated 09/14/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

Nicks got pretty banged up in Week 1, not only suffering a knee injury but also a wrist injury. Neither of them seem major, but it could be enough to keep Nicks sidelined in Week 2. If he is good to go, then Fantasy owners are going to start the high-end Fantasy WR. But you do need to consider healthier alternatives in case Nicks ends up as questionable on the weekend injury report. Because the game is on Monday, then you could be taking a big risk by playing him in Week 2. Stay tuned.

Update on Nicks this morning.

NYG - WR Hakeem Nicks injury update

Source: KFFL.com

New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks (knee, wrist) said he would have played Wednesday, Sept. 14, if it were a game day. He is dealing with a bone bruise and a hyperextended knee; Nicks believes the extra day - the Giants play on Monday night - will be helpful in his recovery. 'I will take it day to day. I feel better than I did yesterday and I keep going up. I don't see myself missing any time,' Nicks said. He said he did a little jogging Wednesday and didn't feel any problems with his knee. 'I’m just letting the swelling go down a little bit,' he noted. He said his wrist is also OK.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

It's wise to add Brandon Gibson or Domenik Hixon as a hedge against Nicks not playing Monday Night, or possibly Cadillac Williams if you can move Nicks to a flex spot. Nicks is too good to leave on your bench if he is active. This is very positive news this early in the week, so expect Nicks to play and do damage against the banged-up Rams secondary.

Update on Nicks this morning.

I heard on Rotoexperts this morning that their sources are saying that Nicks' injury is worse than is being reported.

I heard on Rotoexperts this morning that their sources are saying that Nicks' injury is worse than is being reported.

CRAP!!! I really don't have many other options. (Sanders, McCluster are my only bench WR)

Would any of you drop one of them for Hixon or roll with McCluster maybe?

Meh there's not a single report that speaks to that. I'll need something a little more conclusive than that before I start getting worried.

The signing of Brandon Stokley is not good news for we Nicks owners.

Why? From all accounts the signing of Stokley is because of the giants lack of a threat in the slot. Being reported by numerous sources. If they started showing interest in TO or Moss I'd start to worry about Nicks.

Why? From all accounts the signing of Stokley is because of the giants lack of a threat in the slot. Being reported by numerous sources. If they started showing interest in TO or Moss I'd start to worry about Nicks.

Look, I'm a paranoid fantasy footballer. My best receiver is injured. His team signs another one. I totally understand the "slot" thing but am I really able to trust all those "sources". Black helicopters are flying overhead, I have Amendola, Chris Johnson, Shonn Greene, Nicks, and Big Ben, just to name a few week one losers. 3-10 alarms are going off!!! I won it all last year in a money league and now the God's are making me pay, that's why! :)

Look, I'm a paranoid fantasy footballer. My best receiver is injured. His team signs another one. I totally understand the "slot" thing but am I really able to trust all those "sources". Black helicopters are flying overhead, I have Amendola, Chris Johnson, Shonn Greene, Nicks, and Big Ben, just to name a few week one losers. 3-10 alarms are going off!!! I won it all last year in a money league and now the God's are making me pay, that's why! :)

My 2 receivers are Colston and Nicks, So i'm with you. I just don't think there's anything to worry about at this point. Could it be worse? Sure it could, but there isn't a single credible report out there alluding to that. The timing of the Stokley signing has something to do with not having to guarantee contracts if you sign veterans after a certain date.

Compelling stuff.

I heard he has a bone bruise and swelling. He's been cleared to run today. From the NY Giants.

Not jog, run.

Arian Foster was cleared to jog before week one, and I knew he'd have no shot to play Sunday. Nicks finished the game last week and is already back to running.

My 2 receivers are Colston and Nicks, So i'm with you. I just don't think there's anything to worry about at this point. Could it be worse? Sure it could, but there isn't a single credible report out there alluding to that. The timing of the Stokley signing has something to do with not having to guarantee contracts if you sign veterans after a certain date.

The glass is half full. The glass is half full. The glass is half full.

Ah, it's only fantasy football. I love it. I hate it. Thanks for the ray of hope, DexterMorgan.

I had an owner in my league accuse my team last year of crapping horseshoes. Ryan, Johnson, Blount, White, Bowe. I guess I'm scared of horseshoe constipation now.

Hicks is an injury waiting to happen when completely healthy. Any owner that wants to rush him back before then is focking idiot! :cheers:

Yeah i want a link <_<

Hicks is an injury waiting to happen when completely healthy. Any owner that wants to rush him back before then is focking idiot! :cheers:

What I like is that the Giants are 0-1. They can't screw around with the Rams. You start 0-2, after losing a division game and a home game against the Rams...time to panic.

Nicks is going to play, have 3 TDs and 200 yards! :pointstosky:

What I like is that the Giants are 0-1. They can't screw around with the Rams. You start 0-2, after losing a division game and a home game against the Rams...time to panic.

Nicks is going to play, have 3 TDs and 200 yards! :pointstosky:

My bet is that Coughlin runs the ball 40+ times in this game!

My bet is that Coughlin runs the ball 40+ times in this game!

If he's been watching Eli play he will.

Did Eli also have neck surgery in the off-season? He looks atrocious.

Anyone else see what i see? When ever i watch the VaGiants play and they show Eli it looks like he is going to cry :cry: Every close up he looks like he is about to break down

Anyone else see what i see? When ever i watch the VaGiants play and they show Eli it looks like he is going to cry :cry: Every close up he looks like he is about to break down

He's got the perpetual sad face.

He was sad when they won the super bowl. Or happy? You can't tell. He's got Frowns Syndrome.

Nicks will test the knee tomorrow at practice.

News: Giants WR Hakeem Nicks didn't return to practice Thursday because of a bruised knee. The Giants are preparing to play the Rams in Week 2 on Monday night. Nicks said he feels better and will attempt individual drills on Friday. “It responded good from (Wednesday),” he said. “The swelling went down, so it’s a matter of bearing the pain now. It’s not too bad. I don’t really feel as much pain, I’m fully extending now.”

Analysis: Nicks said Wednesday he is confident he will play Monday night, but he might not get the final say in this matter, so we will have to continue to track his progress. If he is good to go, then Fantasy owners are going to start the high-end Fantasy WR. But you do need to consider healthier alternatives in case Nicks ends up as questionable on the weekend injury report. Because the game is on Monday, then you could be taking a big risk by playing him in Week 2.

This comment worries me a bit.

I'll be concerned if the report is no better on Saturday. Now I'm not.

I'll be concerned if the report is no better on Saturday. Now I'm not.

We'll have a good picture if he's going to play or not come Saturday. He'll give it a go tomorrow and see how the knee swells up the next day.

I don't know should I substitute Manningham for Bowe this weekend.

I had Bowe last year, so I'd say stick with Bowe.

If Nicks is out, they'll double Manningham all game and the Giants may run the ball more this week.

If he is out who is the better play then? both are on my waiver now, Cruz or Hixon?

I like Brandon Gibson just for this game over two random guys who struggled week 1.

Nicks running drills. I'd say its looking good that he's gonna play. They don't want to start 0-2.

"The Star-Ledger reports Giants WR Hakeem Nicks (knee) went through individual drills on Friday after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday. He is hoping to play Week 2 against the Rams."

Its not a muscle or ligament issue. Its a pain tolerance issue. He'll play.

:cheers:

Nicks skips team drills, may be game-day call

Hakeem Nicks (knee) did not participate in team drills at Giants practice Friday.

Nicks only got work in individual drills. The Giants will not leave Hicks' availability for Monday night up to the player, rather making a determination based on their medical diagnosis. That indicates a full-blown game-time decision. Nicks, of course, is worth the wait if you can secure Domenik Hixon. The starter will square off with an extremely battered Rams secondary.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 16 - 1:28 PM

Nicks was hurt all last year i know better than trust a freakin VaGiant :wall:

Hakeem Nicks - WR - Giants Hakeem Nicks (knee, questionable) reiterated Friday that he will play on Monday Night Football against the Rams.

"I'll be out there Monday," said Nicks after turning in a "limited" Friday practice, consisting mostly of individual drills. "The swelling is gone, the pain ain't really there anymore. I think I'll be all right." The decision on whether to play Nicks will still be left up to the Giants' medical staff. Said coach Tom Coughlin, "He'll have an opinion, because he has to say what he feels like. The doctors are ultimately going to make that decision."

Source: New York Daily News Sep 16 - 6:43 PM

NFL network just reported that he ran individual drills with Manning before practice and "Looked good." Also participated in walk through.

I think its a start with confidence now. The Rams corners are a mess.

I like Brandon Gibson just for this game over two random guys who struggled week 1.

Bingo...picked him up and ready to sub him in for Hicks on Monday night if need be...I like Gibson's "upside" way better than D . Hixon ! :pointstosky:

Bingo...picked him up and ready to sub him in for Hicks on Monday night if need be...I like Gibson's "upside" way better than D . Hixon ! :pointstosky:

Yup same here :doublethumbsup: But id rather start Nicks and looks like we gonna get too.

Latest update from today. He is going to play no doubt about it.

Nicks (knee) officially questionable for MNF

Hakeem Nicks (knee) was limited in Giants practice Saturday, and is listed as questionable for Week 2.

Nicks could end up being a true game-time decision for Monday Night Football, but guaranteed on Friday that he'll be active against the Rams. That should be the case as long as he experiences no new swelling over the weekend, but he's going to be a shaky play for fantasy owners setting their lineups on Sunday morning. Domenik Hixon will get the start if Nicks can't go, and Mario Manningham could be in for a huge night against a banged up Rams secondary.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 17 - 1:18 PM

Why is the consensus here saying he is going to play? It looks like a full blown GTD and I'm not sure about taking a goose egg on that or on a shaky play.

Why is the consensus here saying he is going to play? It looks like a full blown GTD and I'm not sure about taking a goose egg on that or on a shaky play.

Because he said yesterday and today again that he is surely going to play. He may say that, even if he can't be sure, but it's encouraging.

If for some reason nicks doesnt play who starts cruz or hixon?

Nicks owner here, and the Stokley signing doesn't concern me regarding Nicks health. I think it speaks more to the Giants not being happy with their slot receivers, Hixon and Cruz. After the reports today, and the quote from Nicks himself, it looks like Nicks will play provided there's no setbacks this week.

I'm rolling the dice with him; fock it. I don't have anyone I can drop just to add Gibson or Hixon so I'm chancing it. Go big or go home.

:cheers:

P.S. First week 2 F.U. goes out to either me or Nicks. <_<

If for some reason nicks doesnt play who starts cruz or hixon?

All reports say Hixon.

I picked up Gibson from STL to go if Nicks is ruled out. I think he has more upside. The Giants secondary is just as banged up as the Rams' is.