Sign in to follow this  
Riddlen

Anyone know how to make a .svg file?

I need a 10mm-ish fish outline as an .svg file whatever the hell that is. Even better would be 2 or three nested in 1" square. I am looking for the standard fish outline like the jesus/darwin fish and such, but solid in the middle. just the outline so it could be laser cut. anyone?

From wiki...

"SVG images and their behaviors are defined in XML text files. This means that they can be searched, indexed, scripted and, if required, compressed. Since they are XML files, SVG images can be created and edited with any text editor, but it is often more convenient to create these types of images with drawing programs such as Inkscape."

So it sounds like you can use notepad, wordpad or any text editor for these files, but it's easiest to make them using something called Inkscape. No idea what Inkscape is. HTH.

From wiki...

"SVG images and their behaviors are defined in XML text files. This means that they can be searched, indexed, scripted and, if required, compressed. Since they are XML files, SVG images can be created and edited with any text editor, but it is often more convenient to create these types of images with drawing programs such as Inkscape."

So it sounds like you can use notepad, wordpad or any text editor for these files, but it's easiest to make them using something called Inkscape. No idea what Inkscape is. HTH.

ya, that crap is all greek to me

why .svg?

I don't know much about .svg but the key seems to be that it is VECTOR.

Is a commercial printer asking for this file format?

Vector drawing programs like Adobe Illustrator will output an .svg.

I'd imagine most CAD type programs can too (AutoCad, Solidworks, etc).

So, to answer your question, you make an .svg file by using a Vector based drawing program.

My question is why .svg?

OK, I just looked into your .svg files - (Scalable Vector Files).

Lemme try to simplify this -

graphics and images really come in two flavors - vector and non-vector

Vector graphics are generally used in the commercial printing world - they are vectors (i.e. made up of billions of shapes, i.e. geometry, ie. math) and are therefore infinitely scalable (very handy if you want your image on a Billboard or a huge sign in front of a company, etc)

Non-Vector graphics are what you're likely more familiar with (jpgs, bmps, gifs, etc). These are generally used on the web where scaling is not as important.

SVG seems to be a formate being pushed/supported by the WWC3 (The Web's version of the U.N. that sets standards, etc). SVG is a scalable vector BUT it contains all the code needed for use in web-developing (svg "plays nice" with html, xml, etc). Now, the guys designing these pictures probably don't care about the code - they make a pretty picture and just click "save as .svg".

I guess the idea behind .svg is that it's a format that can now appeal to both the vector and non-vector arenas - it removes a lot of problems for people using these graphics b/c now there's one type (or format) that can bounce easily between web and print.

OK, I just looked into your .svg files - (Scalable Vector Files).

Lemme try to simplify this -

graphics and images really come in two flavors - vector and non-vector

Vector graphics are generally used in the commercial printing world - they are vectors (i.e. made up of billions of shapes, i.e. geometry, ie. math) and are therefore infinitely scalable (very handy if you want your image on a Billboard or a huge sign in front of a company, etc)

Non-Vector graphics are what you're likely more familiar with (jpgs, bmps, gifs, etc). These are generally used on the web where scaling is not as important.

SVG seems to be a formate being pushed/supported by the WWC3 (The Web's version of the U.N. that sets standards, etc). SVG is a scalable vector BUT it contains all the code needed for use in web-developing (svg "plays nice" with html, xml, etc). Now, the guys designing these pictures probably don't care about the code - they make a pretty picture and just click "save as .svg".

I guess the idea behind .svg is that it's a format that can now appeal to both the vector and non-vector arenas - it removes a lot of problems for people using these graphics b/c now there's one type (or format) that can bounce easily between web and print.

ya, its for a laser guy. I found a web image. I jsut dont have any of the programs listed. designe type crap. I just though it might be easy for someone with the right tool. good info.

ya, its for a laser guy. I found a web image. I jsut dont have any of the programs listed. designe type crap. I just though it might be easy for someone with the right tool. good info.

Seems like it is pretty easy. You're just not willing to put any effort in. :cheers:

you need somebody with Adobe Illustrator (AI).

a. open the image with AI

b. use AI's "Live Trace" to convert the image to outlines (i.e. vectors).

Note: the Live Trace feature is under Object > Live Trace

c. File > Save As > choose the SVG format.

Simple.

Go to DOS prompt 

Rename aaaa.xxx aaaa.svg.

It really is that simple.

Sheesh. Kids.