Sign in to follow this  
veebs4

Why do owners propose ridiculous trades?

I traded Torain to an owner who was desparate for an RB, and got Marshall in return. He writes me back the next week saying he is peddling Andre Johnson, and is looking for a RB. His official offer:

I give: Fred Jackson AND Steve Johnson

I get: Andre Johnson

I politely replied I would consider sending you Steven Jackson for Andre. The rest was an insult.

Post your fun ridiculousness here!

Calvin Johnson for Brandon Marshall and Ryan Torain

That's terrible! #15-#20 WR + Shanahan RB for #1 WR??!! What method of decline did you use? Flaming pile of horse dung on front lawn??

I just offered the Chris Johnson owner a kicker I just picked up off the waiver wire this morning..

I just offered the Chris Johnson owner a kicker I just picked up off the waiver wire this morning..

That's not so much ridiculous as ridiculing! If your league charges for trades, he might take it to piss you off!

You can't show your hand too early, so those trades are starting points IMO - don't be offended,

You can't show your hand too early, so those trades are starting points IMO - don't be offended,

Yeah, that and the fact that we tend to over-value our own players and under-value everyone elses. :D

Yeah, that and the fact that we tend to over-value our own players and under-value everyone elses. :D

The Endowment Effect (a cognitive bias)

In behavioral economics, the endowment effect (also known as divestiture aversion) is a hypothesis that people value a good or service more once their property right to it has been established. In other words, people place a higher value on objects they own than objects that they do not.

Also there is a lot you can devine about a person's FF ability and savvy by how he responds to a lowball trade offer. Im in a league where i am probably the least experienced player this year and i have gotten a few trade offers that i think were more about feeling me out than they were about actually trying to get my good players. Not they wouldnt have taken my good players if i had agreed, but sometimes you just have to see how people react to things.

In my local no money autodraft schitz and giggles league, my tweaking of my draft list backfired on me. We start 2 RB, 3WR, WR/RB flex, WR/TE flex, and TE.

I ended up drafting Rice, DMC, Forte, Mathews, Beanie, and Ben Tate. My WRs - MWTB, Boldin, Harvin, Garcon (Damn, dumped him early in the season), James Jones.

Ended up opening up my entire RB stable on the trading block. Offered to trade Mathews or Beanie for a top 15 WR. I'd even consider McFadden or Rice for a reasonable offer. Ben Tate was also available to the Foster owner for an equivalent WR.

Got back DeSean Williams for Ray Rice. Guy did not have much depth at WR. Countered with Mathews for Maclin. Rice would cost him Mike Williams. Never heard back.

Here's my take....I always offer a lowball trade, because ya never know what the other owner my think or how he may value the players involved. What if you offer Cassell for Brady, and the guy just happens to be a huge Cassell fan? Ya never know.....

99% of the time it will get rejected. If so, now you get to haggle. But again......ya never know.

The problem is the teams that suck dont understand that they do not have the hammer in trades.

Been trying to trade a guy thats 3-5..im 5-3. he has Cam Newton and Schaub. So ive been trying to get one.

Offered him Matt Ryan and Ahmad Bradshaw for Cam and he refused.

I was like ok....go ahead and keep two good qbs on your roster while you wallow below .500 He needs to trade more than i do.

The problem is the teams that suck dont understand that they do not have the hammer in trades.

Been trying to trade a guy thats 3-5..im 5-3. he has Cam Newton and Schaub. So ive been trying to get one.

Offered him Matt Ryan and Ahmad Bradshaw for Cam and he refused.

I was like ok....go ahead and keep two good qbs on your roster while you wallow below .500 He needs to trade more than i do.

That's often true. Trying trading with the better managers in your leagues. They are often the most recepetive and willing to make a deal.

I don't trade much but I was loaded at running back: Rice, Forte, Blount, Tolbert, M. Bush, could only start 3 with a flex, and really weak at WR with J Baldwin/D. Thomas as my best options this week.

I flipped Tolbert for Victor Cruz. He needed a rb, I needed a receiver. Win win.

The other trader may be also not willing to give u a big boost when his trade benefit, while a plus, is more modest.

The people that don't have Chris Johnson, think they can get him for free. It don't work that way. CJ owners will more than likely just bench the guy for the rest of the season unless you offer something worthe the value of a 1st -3rd round pick.

The people that don't have Chris Johnson, think they can get him for free. It don't work that way. CJ owners will more than likely just bench the guy for the rest of the season unless you offer something worthe the value of a 1st -3rd round pick.

Yeah I got offered the San Fran D before the Colts game. Umm no thanks.

And at this point I would surely rather go 1-12 or whatever it is then watch CJ blow up for another squad.

New guy in my league started hot, 3-0, then lost 4 in a row. This past weekend we played each other, I benched Steven Jackson in favor of DeMarco Murray (Doh!), but still beat him. Before the Eagles game he sends me this trade offer:

CJ Spiller + Aaron Hernandez for DMC. I decline. I have Gates, though not totally healthy is back and playing well enough.

I counter with this gem: Chris Johnson + Sidney Rice for LeSean McCoy (PPR league). To my surprise he scoffs at it and offers again: Steven Jackson + DMC for McCoy + Delone Carter. Although I decline, he kept the McCoy trade on the table and I called him immediately to close the deal. Final result?

Steven Jackson + Marques Colston for LeSean McCoy + Delone Carter. He wanted Jackson bad for some reason, I wanted to keep one of my studs so I gave up a hot WR to sweeten the deal...and Carter was just someone he was going to drop anyway so I agreed to taking him for now. I see it as this, when DMC get's healthy, he and McCoy are going to carry my team to Fantasy Championship, barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I was loving me some Colston, but I already had Bowe and Fitz with Rice in the wings. If all goes well, I will be very proud of my negotiating skills vs. those who do not value the best player on their team. :overhead:

Oh and if CJ2k ever shows up, I will definitely be Lovin' Every minute of It! :banana:

I made a serious of really retarded trade offers in one league. I was trying to get somebody to give up a good WR for Tim Tebow. Nobody bit. I ended up dropping Tebow the very next week. They all probably think I'm a dooshbag, but fock it, nobody was trading in that league anyways so it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

:dunno:

Re: lowball offers. There are two types of owners who do this:

1. Owners who really think you will take their sh!tty offer. They are basically insulting you.

2. Owners who are just feeling you out. A lowball offer is really an offer to engage in trade negotiations more than it is an actual trade offer in itself. They know you aren't going to take their offer but they're hoping you come back with something that will be acceptable to them, or that will at least lead to further negotiations that may bear fruit down the road.

Re: lowball offers. There are two types of owners who do this:

1. Owners who really think you will take their sh!tty offer. They are basically insulting you.

2. Owners who are just feeling you out. A lowball offer is really an offer to engage in trade negotiations more than it is an actual trade offer in itself. They know you aren't going to take their offer but they're hoping you come back with something that will be acceptable to them, or that will at least lead to further negotiations that may bear fruit down the road.

Agree.

#1 offer - ridiculous that the OP was talking about.

#2 offer - lowball initial offer designed to show interest but fair enough to spark return interest.

I usually try the bundle trade offers. Package a need for the guy's team along with a lower replacement value player.

Earlier this year, guy had Romo hurt and wanted Rivers. I offered him River + Mendy for Fred Jackson. He took it.

Because sometimes, just sometimes, people take it. Example: Johnny Knox for Steven Jackson straight up. Yeah, that actually happened.

Because sometimes, just sometimes, people take it. Example: Johnny Knox for Steven Jackson straight up. Yeah, that actually happened.

:pointstosky:

See my reply to this thread...#15

Just this week, asshat offered me Mendenhall for Newton (I've got Bradshaw with an injury, and MJD on a bye), so he thinks I must be really desperate.

Just this week, asshat offered me Mendenhall for Newton (I've got Bradshaw with an injury, and MJD on a bye), so he thinks I must be really desperate.

Counter-offer your kicker for Mendy and see what he says....... :cheers:

Worst was last week, when a guy offered my Romo and Mike Williams TB for Aaron Rodgers. At the time I had to stop myself from laughing to make sure I didn't accidentally click accept.

In hindsight I suppose he thought I could have seen value in Williams, since I could use help at WR. Luckily for me though, I had the misfortune of drafting that bum in one league and keeping him in another, so I am fully aware of his worthlessness. :thumbsup:

I got offered Hasselback and Heward Bay(who he had just picked of the waiver wire) for Tom Brady.

Great discussion, and in directions I didn't anticipate.

First, I agree that there are feeling out offers and insulting offers.

Example of a "feeling out" offer would be proposing a Steven Jackson (High 2nd Tier RB) for a low 1st Tier (say Jennings), and you're willing to give up Sproles (higher than SJax in PPR league).

Examples of "insulting" offers have been shown. Two points about these types:

1. If proposed to a savvy owner, the dialog most likely is totally cut off because the savvy owner now knows you are either trying to fleece him, or have a way over-inflated view of your player's value.

2. If you happen upon a schmuck who takes the trade, does it feel right?

To illustrate the point, for those who posted their ridiculous offers, did you bother countering?

Worst was last week, when a guy offered my Romo and Mike Williams TB for Aaron Rodgers. At the time I had to stop myself from laughing to make sure I didn't accidentally click accept.

Guess that should be 'me'

Man, I thought you were saying someone wanted your Romo & Williams for his Rodgers and you didn't accept it. I'd have jumped on that like white on rice. You're right though; I would have been laughing my azz off and used two hands to make sure I hit the 'Reject' button.