Sign in to follow this  
Young_Grasshopper

How long until Romo is done in Dallas?

I've now suffered through two seasons of having Romo as a starting QB. Hey from a fantasy perspective, he does alright. As I read about these games though, it's clear the guy either needs another two seasons to mature (and who wants to wait?) or will NEVER turn into an elite QB. If I were Jones, I'd trade up to take a QB this year and send Romo the message that he's done in Dallas unless he goes Drew Brees and gets it together.

Say what you will about injuries, supporting cast, coaching, etc. Romo has had too many years to show us that he's an elite QB in spite of these things, and you can't expect anything from him game to game.

Honestly, Cowboys fans need to just shut up. You do realize that Brees is 32 yrs old, and Romo is 31. He's not gonna "go Drew Brees" and suddenly be a top 3 QB. He already has NINE years in the league. Crap, he's got maybe 4 more as a legitimate starter before his mobility goes and injuries start to mout.

He is what he is. You have a guy that's easily in the 6-10 range of QB's in the league. Have you even watched football? Do you even realize how bad the QB play is this year? Jeebus, I've been as critical of Romo as anyone and even a fool can see that what's happened to the Cowboys this year is less Romo's fault than it is coaching and defense in particular.

:thumbsdown:

Romo has the 4th best qb rating in the NFL this year. A career qb rating of 96.4 - no he's not an elite qb but he's still a pretty damn good player who is just outside of that range. Give him defense like what Big Ben's had in Pitt and everybody is singing a different tune about him probably.

Romo has the 4th best qb rating in the NFL this year. A career qb rating of 96.4 - no he's not an elite qb but he's still a pretty damn good player who is just outside of that range. Give him defense like what Big Ben's had in Pitt and everybody is singing a different tune about him probably.

Ok, let's not start talking all crazy here Cruzer. Big Ben wins games in December and January. And Romo missed a WIDE open Miles Austin in the final 2 minutes that would have sealed that game for the Cowboys while not under all that much pressure. Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers...all those guys make that throw and seal the deal. Romo's stats might be good, but he has a penchant for finding a way to fock stuff up on occasion.

Ok, let's not start talking all crazy here Cruzer. Big Ben wins games in December and January. And Romo missed a WIDE open Miles Austin in the final 2 minutes that would have sealed that game for the Cowboys while not under all that much pressure.

What game were you watching? NY brought the blitz, Romo was under pressure and that's why Miles had the hot route. The ball hit just in front of him, should of totally caught it. In the post game interviews Austin said he lost it in the lights - he has to make that catch.

Romo is one notch below elite. On the same level as Eli, Rivers, etc. You can win a title with him if the rest of your team is good.

Strange this criticism comes just after he throws for 320 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints, and gets his team into FG position in the last minute of that game.

The Cowboys defense blows, the team is undisciplined, and their coaches make a lot of dumb mistakes. But hard to rip on Romo right now. Yeah, he has a horrible game every now and then, but he seems to always follow that up with 4 straight good ones.

What game were you watching? NY brought the blitz, Romo was under pressure and that's why Miles had the hot route. The ball hit just in front of him, should of totally caught it. In the post game interviews Austin said he lost it in the lights - he has to make that catch.

Romo rolled right from the pressure and had a chance to step into the ball, and threw it about 9 yrds deep and left of where Austin was running wide open. Yeah, Miles should have adjusted to it (I didn't hear the presser where he said he lost it, it looked like he was running 3/4 speed to me...like a guy still nursing a hammy injury) but Romo needs to drop that ball in the right spot. Hell, on the throw to Dez for the TD where Dez was 9 miles open Bryant had to make a pretty sharp adjustment to a poorly thrown ball by Romo.

Good Lord People,....Tony Romo IS awesome and if he had a real team that would help him out you'd already know that.

I've been a Cowboy fan for about 45 Years and for me he's only behind Staubach because he has yet to win a Championship. Sure he's made lots of mistakes and a small percentage at crucial times, but that's what will make it all the more satisfying when he finally does win a few big ones.

This last game is a PRIME example of how he's under appreciated and overlooked as being "elite",...he had a better game than Eli Manning yet Eli somehow Eli is considered "Elite", most likely because he's already won a Super Bowl and is a Manning. :wacko:

For those of you that think Tony Romo sucks,...you simply have no idea what you're talking about. :nono:

As far as i'm concerned, Tony is not done in Dallas until he says so, and at that point, ....i'll give him a Standing Ovation. :clap:

Good Lord People,....Tony Romo IS awesome and if he had a real team that would help him out you'd already know that.

I've been a Cowboy fan for about 45 Years and for me he's only behind Staubach because he has yet to win a Championship. Sure he's made lots of mistakes and a small percentage at crucial times, but that's what will make it all the more satisfying when he finally does win a few big ones.

This last game is a PRIME example of how he's under appreciated and overlooked as being "elite",...he had a better game than Eli Manning yet Eli somehow Eli is considered "Elite", most likely because he's already won a Super Bowl and is a Manning. :wacko:

For those of you that think Tony Romo sucks,...you simply have no idea what you're talking about. :nono:

Finally somebody who talks some sense. Everybody loves to put every loss on Romo. Yes, he could have hit Austin to seal the deal, but that's not what lost the game.

The Cowboy's craptacular defense and special teams play lost the game AGAIN. The defense couldn't hold a 12 point friggin lead with 5 minutes to go. They couldn't hold Tom Brady in the last minute of the Pats game. They couldn't hold Stafford in the last two minutes of the Detroit game. They had a defensive penalty on a 3rd and focking 22 in Arizona in OT. They let a screen pass go for a TD in OT. The special teams unit let JPP block the kick Sunday night. The special teams unit allowed a blocked punt in the Jets game.

Romo's thrown for 3650 yards, 65% completion percent, 26 TD's and only 9 picks. He has over a 100 QB rating this year. He drove the team down with 56 seconds left, and no Time outs left to set up a 47 yard FG.

Yet it's Romo's fault the Cowboys are losing. Does the OP even watch the games, or are you just someone who likes to jump on the wagon?

Romo rolled right from the pressure and had a chance to step into the ball, and threw it about 9 yrds deep and left of where Austin was running wide open.
Still not sure what game or play you were watching, but none of this is correct..... On the play Romo takes the snap from the gun, takes 3 and half steps straight back and then lets it go - he never rolled right and he barely got a step into it bcoz of the rush. The ball lands just in front of Miles - if anything it lands to his outside right shoulder. I have it taped but you can also watch it on on nfl.com - might want to take another look.

As far as i'm concerned, Tony is not done in Dallas until he says so, and at that point, ....i'll give him a Standing Ovation. :clap:

Agree 100%.

I just can't beleive their defense let up over 500 yards last week.

Jacobs is slow and he ran for over 100. ;)

No way Romo is gone. He is too good of a qb.

I actually just watched it again - Miles is striding over the 40 yard line, the ball hits on the 43.

I actually just watched it again - Miles is striding over the 40 yard line, the ball hits on the 43.

Not to mention Austin wasn't 100% on that play, it was obvious.

Romo is a damned good QB. Championships are won by a TEAM - just ask the Patriots and Brady. Pure quarterback play is a totally different issue. Big Ben doesnt win in December.... the STEELERS win in December. Why is so hard for all the supposedly edumacated football fans here to understand the difference between great individual play versus team accomplishments? Its not hard guys. Romo is easily as talented as ANY QB out there right now. Id take Romo on my NFL team just as quickly as Id take Brees, Brady, Rapistberger, whomever. If the pieces are there, you'd win with Romo too. If the pieces are NOT there, you wont win. Period. Have the Pats or Colts won anything important in the last 3-4 years? Nope. Why? They have Brady and Manning - they should win every Super Bowl, especially with that Brady guy. But, they arent, are they? Whats wrong? The TEAM isnt good enough to win the SB. Thats why. Next.

And, I love how the rules change when you bring up the inevitable arguments about Super Bowls being the only thing that matters. When you tell the Only-the-SB-matters crowd about how Dilfer MUST be considered better than Marino using THEIR criteria...they clam up and say "well thats different". No, it isnt different. You cant make exceptions so its covenient for you.

Romo is a top 5 QB talent in this league, maybe Top 7 at the worst. End of discussion.

True. I thought it was close as the play was happening and really thought M.Austin was going to dive for the ball but didn't.

Game over if he catches that ball. They will or should I say should win this Saturday night which will put the ball

in the Giants court to beat the Skins on Sunday.

I'm not giving the coaching and Defense a pass - I certainly think they bear more responsibility for the inability of Dallas to hold onto leads (save the Lions game, Romo's pick-sixes were the deciding factor there).

For me, I want to see Romo learn how to manage a game and grind out a win. He has the big play ability to put his team ahead or come from behind, but he doesn't have the maturity to pick a team apart when Dallas needs to bleed the clock. That may be the play calling, so prove me wrong on that if you want. I just don't see the same football IQ as Brady or Roethlisberger to play for the W. And even if the supporting cast improves, I don't see Romo leading Dallas deep into the playoffs.

--Aaron Rodgers

--Tom Brady

--Drew Brees

--Ben Roethlisberger

--Peyton Manning (if healthy)

Those are the only NFL QBs that I'd clearly prefer over Romo. To me, he's in the same company as Eli, Rivers (in a normal year), Stafford, & Vick (if healthy). Basically, he's at the very top of the tier-2 QBs and easily a top-10 QB in the NFL. With the exception of the Jets game early this season, Romo has played well this season -- especially considering his broken ribs, injuries to his WR-corp, the early-season lack of a running game, the young/inexperienced OL, etc.

:dunno:

Huge cowboys fan and even bigger Romo fan. I'll say this first, Romo should have made a better throw to miles at the end. Having said that, he played GREAT on Sunday and has played great this year. He is the most scrutinized qb in the league, every bad game he has gets blown up by espn and the media. Do people forget that Brady threw 4 ints this year against the bills or had 5 turnovers against the ravens in the playoffs last year? Playing qb isn't easy. Romo has won in spite of T.O, Roy wiilliams, wade phillips, jerry jones, a lousy defense, and a lack of running game. I 100 percent believe he can win a super bowl, but I dont think he will due to his surrounding team. Does romo have some favre tendencies? Sure, but he has throw only 18 ints in his last 2 full years as a starter, Eli threw 25 last year and Brees threw 22. For people saying he is the cowboys problem are both ignorant and delusional. Watch the game, dont let ESPN watch it for u.

I just don't see the same football IQ as Brady or Roethlisberger to play for the W..

Thus, why me and most are more than willing to admit he's not an elite qb. A ver good qb, certainly - but not elite. All this chatter is for not though - Aaron Rodgers would have a hard time taking this suck ass defense far into the playoffs.

Still not sure what game or play you were watching, but none of this is correct..... On the play Romo takes the snap from the gun, takes 3 and half steps straight back and then lets it go - he never rolled right and he barely got a step into it bcoz of the rush. The ball lands just in front of Miles - if anything it lands to his outside right shoulder. I have it taped but you can also watch it on on nfl.com - might want to take another look.

You're right, i was thinking of the Dez play (going out of memory). Just watched it on youtube. Giants rushed 5 and Romo appeared to have good protection (not to mention that Collinsworth comments on how Romo had already gotten them to show the coverage/blitz) and he simply overthrew Austin on the play. Had time to step in and no one in his face. That's a throw you have to make. Again, the blame for what happened to the Cowboys cannot be laid at Romo's feet, but I'll still stand by my statement that the "elite" QB's above him would make that throw. Hell, look at the the throws that Eli made down the stretch, in particular the dropped TD to Manningham and the pressure he was under on them, several rolling out and in between bracketed coverage levels. I personally put Romo in the same tier as Eli despite the SB ring that Eli has.

Bear in mind I'm a Steelers fan with an instinctive "semi-hatred" of the Cowboys, and have been perpetually irritated with Cowboys fans over-hyping Romo over the years...and I'm still defending the guy. He played a lights out game with the exception of the one throw I noted. And anyone that lays the blame on him isn't watching the game.

Huge cowboys fan and even bigger Romo fan. I'll say this first, Romo should have made a better throw to miles at the end. Having said that, he played GREAT on Sunday and has played great this year. He is the most scrutinized qb in the league, every bad game he has gets blown up by espn and the media. Do people forget that Brady threw 4 ints this year against the bills or had 5 turnovers against the ravens in the playoffs last year? Playing qb isn't easy. Romo has won in spite of T.O, Roy wiilliams, wade phillips, jerry jones, a lousy defense, and a lack of running game. I 100 percent believe he can win a super bowl, but I dont think he will due to his surrounding team. Does romo have some favre tendencies? Sure, but he has throw only 18 ints in his last 2 full years as a starter, Eli threw 25 last year and Brees threw 22. For people saying he is the cowboys problem are both ignorant and delusional. Watch the game, dont let ESPN watch it for u.

:thumbsup:

Though if you look at the pass again (frame by frame) you'll see that the Myles only missed it by just a foot or so, and he wasn't even running full speed. I've seen reports that he simply "lost it in the lights".

* and thanks to many others in this thread that agreed with me :cheers:

You're right, i was thinking of the Dez play (going out of memory). Just watched it on youtube. Giants rushed 5 and Romo appeared to have good protection (not to mention that Collinsworth comments on how Romo had already gotten them to show the coverage/blitz) and he simply overthrew Austin on the play.

Still not sure what play you are watching.

That play, Dallas is 3 wide, empty backfield. NY is manned up on the 3 wide outs, no safety, 8 in the box. They initially bring 8 but one drops off to cover Witten when he releases. Giants end up still bringing 7 - all out. The throw was there enough, Austin has to make that catch.

That play, Dallas is 3 wide, empty backfield. NY is manned up on the 3 wide outs, no safety, 8 in the box. They initially bring 8 but one drops off to cover Witten when he releases. Giants end up still bringing 7 - all out. The throw was there enough, Austin has to make that catch.

Exactly,.. and Romo even lobbed it up so Myles could run under and into it. By Austin not catching it, looks like a bad throw to the untrained eye :lol:

Great throw imo all things considered.

Exatly,.. and Romo even lobbed it up so Myles could run under and into it. By Austin not catching it, looks like a bad throw to the untrained eye :lol:

Great throw imo all things considered.

If Jennings makes that catch, everybody goes on and on of how great of a throw Rodgers made under the gun. But it's Romo, so not so much. Miles said he lost it in the lights, not sure I buy it. But maybe he did which would explain why he didn't even dive for it. I still think Austin didn't make the catch bcoz he wasn't going all out like he should of been.

Dude, you're right, copy I'm seeing on youtube is crap. Blown up, you're correct, I see seven rushing. And on the other angle the ball is maybe a yard off Austin, I stand corrected. Good throw, bad attempt a catch. And I may believe Austin more than I did about losing it in the lights based on his lack of reaction until it's right on top of him.

Dallas needs to trade for Tebow. Play Romo Q's 1-3 and then bring in Tebow for the 4th. :pointstosky:

Romo has the highest 4th Quarter QB Rating in NFL History.

I'm all for getting rid of Romo as long as Dallas gets someone better. So if they can get Rodgers, Brady, or Brees, I'm in. :thumbsup:

I'm all for getting rid of Romo as long as Dallas gets someone better. So if they can get Rodgers, Brady, or Brees, I'm in. :thumbsup:

Funny... I was just going to come in here and post - The Cowboys should totally get rid of Romo and pick up Rodgers or Brady. :unsure:

:lol: