Sign in to follow this  
heavy-set

What are your favorite books?

Wifes a doctor...

So is that why you are a stay at home do.uche er I mean dude.

So is that why you are a stay at home do.uche er I mean dude.

Well....one of the reasons. :)

Wifes a doctor...bet she hasn't read 25 books either. Has zero time.

Took her maybe a year to read Devil in the white city.

Not for everyone but I love to listen to audible books on my way to and from work.

Not for everyone but I love to listen to audible books on my way to and from work.

Yeah I have heard those are really good. Me personally I just can't listen to someone talk to me that long. But yeah people really like those

Looks like I can get a lot of books on audio. I am probably going to get 11/22/63 for the ride to PA

Enjoy.

It's not common. People who are well-read are astounded at how little I read. Medical journals and climbing magazines are the only things I read on a regular basis.

This is what I expected from you when you said you don't read a lot (of fictional books). :thumbsup:

I'm a slave to the trade magazines and you tube seminars for my profession, also.

Doesn't stop me from reading the occasional Patrick McManus or Jackie Collins on the shitter, but still

This is what I expected from you when you said you don't read a lot (of fictional books). :thumbsup:

I'm a slave to the trade magazines and you tube seminars for my profession, also.

Doesn't stop me from reading the occasional Patrick McManus or Jackie Collins on the shitter, but still

Yes, my point is I haven't read many books, both fiction and nonfiction. In addition to the journals, I've referenced plenty of textbooks, but most of my study material was derived from lecture notes.

But Tan thinks all MDs are bookworms, so my bored credentials are in jeopardy. :(

Just finished my 11 hour drive to Maryland. Holy shlt did that go by fast. I downloaded and audio book on Kindle and listened the whole way. I am never making a long drive without that again! The book is called Abandon by Blake Crouch. The book isn't anything special, but it was engrossing enough to keep my interest. The book probably should have ended a while ago really.

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

Art of War

Missing Links - Rick Reilly

James Lee Burke is my go to. Cletus Purcell is one of the greatest characters ever.

I just started The Circle by Dave Eggers

How is that? Good author...read Zetouin by him, enjoyed his writing.

I just started. I like the premise and so far it is all set up. It will be interesting to see where he takes it. So far it is a fast easy read.

I put Zeitoun on my watch list, it will be my next non-fiction.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a great book.

:thumbsup:

that's what I came here to post.

hands down, my favorite book - read it just after my first child was born, so I'm sure that played into how I felt about the father/son relationship.

Pillars of The Earth (Ken Follett) is another favorite I've posted about before.

hands down, my favorite book - read it just after my first child was born, so I'm sure that played into how I felt about the father/son relationship.

Pillars of The Earth (Ken Follett) is another favorite I've posted about before.

The road is really good.

Pillars is a large book correct? Isn't it like 1000 pages or something crazy?

Missing Links - Rick Reilly

didn't expect to see that one on anyone's list... Ponkapoag (aka Ponky), played there many times... fun book, easy read.

Read Pillars of the Earth. Liked it, didn't love it. Interesting story, but so F'n long. Eye of The Needle is my favorite of the Follett books I have read.

Can't believe I didn't mention A River Runs through It here. It's my A1 with Lonesome Dove.

Rereading A Season on the Brink right now. Needed a refresher on what an ass Knight is.

Thinking of wrenching my back so I can get into some Sarno...I hear his stuff is good. :thumbsup:

Eye of The Needle is my favorite of the Follett

great book - I followed it up with Key to Rebecca... and some of his other WWII stuff... Eye of Needle was, hands down, the best one.

and now I'm like some of the posters above... I don't read much anymore... everything I consume is to learn... lots of podcasts, lots of TED Talks, lots of Youtube tutorials.... I like TED Talks and Podcasts much better than audio books when driving.

great book - I followed it up with Key to Rebecca... and some of his other WWII stuff... Eye of Needle was, hands down, the best one.

and now I'm like some of the posters above... I don't read much anymore... everything I consume is to learn... lots of podcasts, lots of TED Talks, lots of Youtube tutorials.... I like TED Talks and Podcasts much better than audio books when driving.

Same. I noticed I posted here in 2013 about reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I'm still working on that focker. :doh:

didn't expect to see that one on anyone's list... Ponkapoag (aka Ponky), played there many times... fun book, easy read.

I grew up fairly close to there. Used to play hockey at the rink there. Reilly described it well. Awesome book, he had a few more in the series as well

• Like 1

11.22.63 is a really good book.

This is true. Very well researched too. It should be the last nail in the conspiracy theories. It's not, but it should be.

I found the book very disappointing and gave it two stars.

I just picked up Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathan Allen, Amie Parnes

Through deep access to insiders from the top to the bottom of the campaign, political writers Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes have reconstructed the key decisions and unseized opportunities, the well-intentioned misfires and the hidden thorns that turned a winnable contest into a devastating loss. Drawing on the authors' deep knowledge of Hillary from their previous book, the acclaimed biography HRC, Shattered will offer an object lesson in how Hillary herself made victory an uphill battle, how her difficulty articulating a vision irreparably hobbled her impact with voters, and how the campaign failed to internalize the lessons of populist fury from the hard-fought primary against Bernie Sanders.

We are Legion.

We are Bob

This was a fantastic quick read.

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad.

11.22.63 is a really good book. The show was decent in comparison.

This is true. Very well researched too. It should be the last nail in the conspiracy theories. It's not, but it should be.

Read that book a couple times already. Fantastic IMO.

I find it hard to watch James Franco. He and Rogen do the sausage fever way too much.

11.22.63 is a really good book. The show was decent in comparison.

Same. Book probably is third all time favorite.

Count of Monte Crisco

The Stand

The drawing of the 3.

Hitler's willing executioners

I just picked up Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathan Allen, Amie Parnes

Through deep access to insiders from the top to the bottom of the campaign, political writers Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes have reconstructed the key decisions and unseized opportunities, the well-intentioned misfires and the hidden thorns that turned a winnable contest into a devastating loss. Drawing on the authors' deep knowledge of Hillary from their previous book, the acclaimed biography HRC, Shattered will offer an object lesson in how Hillary herself made victory an uphill battle, how her difficulty articulating a vision irreparably hobbled her impact with voters, and how the campaign failed to internalize the lessons of populist fury from the hard-fought primary against Bernie Sanders.

A great book for anyone who would like an inside look at a Presidental campaign.

I just started The Fix by David Baldacci (Amos Decker #3)

I'm tryimg to read The Count of Monte Cristo right now...

boooorrrrringgg so far.

He just got arrested at this engagement party.

I'm tryimg to read The Count of Monte Cristo right now...

boooorrrrringgg so far.

He just got arrested at this engagement party.

Picks up when he gets anal in prison.

I just finished "The Dinner" by Herman Koch I gave it 2 stars, it was a very mediocre book. Moral bankruptcy is the theme so some of you may relate to it.

Seeing that King has been mentioned so much I started Sleeping Beauties a collaboration between Stephen and his son Owen and am already 250+ pages in after one day.Been a good read so far and can't wait to see where they're going with it,just hopefully not some focked up ending like IT.To this point I'd almost say it's even a little sci-fi as the only thing I can compare it to so far is a portion of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

I started Paperbacks from Hell: the twisted history of 70s and 80s horror fiction. Its an overview of the glut of sh1tty airport horror novels of the time. Its awesome.