Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Reasons Obama is a shoe-in for re-election

23 straight months of job growth. I can't even remember how many quarters of GDP growth. GM all time record profits. GM number one again. GM and Ford to add over 100k jobs this year. Over 50k manufacturing jobs repatriated in the last 18 months. Consumer confidence rebounding. Least number of delinquent mortgages in 3 years. Housing starts up for the first time since 2008.

There may be more.

*Obamafacts courtesy of NCCommish

:rolleyes:

Didn't you just :cry: in another thread about all the political threads rooning the bored? :doh:

yes

So this is a thread to spin news as a positive or negative for obama?

Presidents always get too much blame for a bad economy and too much credit for a good economy. I think the economy will continue to improve slightly, which will help Obama.

The real problem Republicans have is that they are between a rock and a hard place with their candidates. Santorum would energize the base but scare moderates. The base isn't excited about Romney and that's why the primary is still close. The base won't be really excited if they nominate Romney and they could lose some voter turnout over this.

That's definitely part of it. The real reasons Obummer is going to be re-elected:

1. All of his competition is deeply flawed. Romney almost certainly will get the nomination, but he looks to me like the Republican John Kerry, only substitute experience in business for a war record. He's a Northeasterner and a Mormon, which will hurt him with Republicans in the South. He's perceived as a flip flopper. And the bulk of his business record is based on his experience in an industry that probably won't help him with the electorate. He's also been running from his own record as governor of Massachussetts. I just can't see this guy doing much better than McCain did in 2008.

2. Romney and all the other GOP candidates are careful not to ever mention George W. Bush which seems pretty odd, until you realize every one of them (except Paul) is running on essentially the same platform of a hawkish foreign policy, corporate deregulation, unsustainable tax cuts, etc. They don't mention Bush because most voters remember these exact same policies failing last time and we're in no hurry to go back there again.

It's incredible how many Republicans insist they didn't like or support what Bush did, while they reflexively defend him and back virtually all of his policies. It's sort of like how many liberals are ashamed to be called liberals.

Anyway, I wouldn't call Obummer a "shoe-in" but I'd say he's more likely to win in an electoral landslide than he is to lose. Romney could maybe pick up say Florida but I can't see him pulling in the lower mid-Atlantic states like Virginia and North Carolina that Obummer won last time, and he can forget about Pennsylvania or Ohio. The electoral map is just not running in his favor at all.

On sort of a related note the GOP elite probably should realize that '12 isn't their year and hand the base the red meat candidate they seem to want. The only thing worse than losing an election is losing an election when the candidate is foisted on you by the party elite and didn't appear to represent your views anyway.

I know a lot of Republicans who felt really betrayed by John McCain in 2008 and they're going to resent being forced to vote for Mitt this time.

My two cents.

Presidents always get too much blame for a bad economy and too much credit for a good economy. I think the economy will continue to improve slightly, which will help Obama.

The real problem Republicans have is that they are between a rock and a hard place with their candidates. Santorum would energize the base but scare moderates. The base isn't excited about Romney and that's why the primary is still close. The base won't be really excited if they nominate Romney and they could lose some voter turnout over this.

Santorum is a scary dude. His views on personal freedoms is riduclous.

What would those be?

Making contraception illegal. Abortions illegal. Wasting time on BS like gay marriage. The guy is an intrucive idiot. He'd probably like to have a federal agent in everyone's bedroom to make sure the sex was only missionary position and not too enjoyable.

What would those be?

Newbie...please ignore this question. It's been a relatively calm/productive thread up to this point.

Edit: :wall: too late

The Fundamentals Now Favor Obama

Given Mr. Obama’s current approval ratings and consensus forecasts on the economy, he rates as about a 60 percent favorite to win the popular vote against Mitt Romney, with somewhat higher chances against any of the other Republicans running for the nomination.

:thumbsup:

then add to it the marketing and production value of the campaign. I realize this shouldn't matter, but it does and it's maybe the most important part of getting elected.

Obama's "show" will crush Romney (or Santorum's). Romney is an emotional void - a robotic candidate - Obama's campaign will be even better at "the show" this time.

Issues aside, the Repubs. just don't have anyone that can compete with Obama on a "hollywood" and marketing level.

2. Romney and all the other GOP candidates are careful not to ever mention George W. Bush which seems pretty odd, until you realize every one of them (except Paul) is running on essentially the same platform of a hawkish foreign policy, corporate deregulation, unsustainable tax cuts, etc. They don't mention Bush because most voters remember these exact same policies failing last time and we're in no hurry to go back there again.

Heard Assfroth on the radio this morning saying he blamed Bush for the auto and bank bailouts more than he blamed Obama. It was the first time I've heard any of the repubutards mention Bush.

Newbie...please ignore this question. It's been a relatively calm/productive thread up to this point.

Edit: :wall: too late

It's still a good discussion. No flaming. No namecalling. Although I feel a Bubbles or Corky coming soon. lol

Making contraception illegal. Abortions illegal. Wasting time on BS like gay marriage. The guy is an intrucive idiot. He'd probably like to have a federal agent in everyone's bedroom to make sure the sex was only missionary position and not too enjoyable.

That's the face of the new conservative movement though. Don't tread on me, unless it's something I find morally reprehensible, done under the guise of protecting me from "terrorists", or benefits big business.

He doesn't want to make contraception illegal.

Where has he said he will try to overturn Roe v Wade?

What does he want to do with gay marriage?

And it's spelled "intrusive", idiot.

Wrong so many times in a single post. :thumbsup:

am I the only one that doesn't give one sh!at about the "Social" issues?

It's the Economy and Military/Foreign Policy.

Everything else is nearly irrelevant.

:dunno:

Heard Assfroth on the radio this morning saying he blamed Bush for the auto and bank bailouts more than he blamed Obama. It was the first time I've heard any of the repubutards mention Bush.

I missed that but otherwise haven't heard any of them mention Bush at all. Which is strange, since all of them are running on the exact same platform. You'd think a guy they're all trying so hard to emulate would come up in conversation more. It will be interesting to see the response when Obummer undoubtedly pulls the "why would we want to go back to the policies of 2000-2008?" line out in debates. What's Romney going to say? Bush was actually a really good president? :doh:

What's Romney going to say? Bush was actually a really good president? :doh:

no - the obvious answer is to always point back to Reagan and say you're following his playbook.

cherry-pick the 3 or 4 Reagan-like things

and then complain that detractors are cherry-picking the Bush-like things.

That's definitely part of it. The real reasons Obummer is going to be re-elected:

1. All of his competition is deeply flawed. Romney almost certainly will get the nomination, but he looks to me like the Republican John Kerry, only substitute experience in business for a war record. He's a Northeasterner and a Mormon, which will hurt him with Republicans in the South. He's perceived as a flip flopper. And the bulk of his business record is based on his experience in an industry that probably won't help him with the electorate. He's also been running from his own record as governor of Massachussetts. I just can't see this guy doing much better than McCain did in 2008.

It's incredible how many Republicans insist they didn't like or support what Bush did, while they reflexively defend him and back virtually all of his policies. It's sort of like how many liberals are ashamed to be called liberals.

Anyway, I wouldn't call Obummer a "shoe-in" but I'd say he's more likely to win in an electoral landslide than he is to lose. Romney could maybe pick up say Florida but I can't see him pulling in the lower mid-Atlantic states like Virginia and North Carolina that Obummer won last time, and he can forget about Pennsylvania or Ohio. The electoral map is just not running in his favor at all.

On sort of a related note the GOP elite probably should realize that '12 isn't their year and hand the base the red meat candidate they seem to want. The only thing worse than losing an election is losing an election when the candidate is foisted on you by the party elite and didn't appear to represent your views anyway.

I know a lot of Republicans who felt really betrayed by John McCain in 2008 and they're going to resent being forced to vote for Mitt this time.

My two cents.

Funny your critique centers on unsustainability... Ironical, dontcha think?

The MSM would be ripping anyone to shreds, Jesus himself would have been called a flipflopper from starting out Jewish. If the MSM ever turned their sights on Obama he would be ripped to shreds FAR more than any of these guys... I don't think the MSM deliberately trying to influence the populus' decision making is any testament towards the candidates... Most people have no clue were these candidates actually stand on issues. They just pick up the MSM soundbytes...

I care more about the economy and foreign policy, but social issues matter to me too. I don't want a president who espouses bizarro ideas about how there should be laws against adultery and I don't want a president who compares same-sex couples to bestiality or incest. I think our president should not be a freak. :dunno:

This.

We have had many pro-life POTUS since Roe. None have tried to change it, even when they had control of both houses of Congress. Rubiejr has fallen for some Media Matters talking points on Santorum and thinks he wants to ban contraceptives. :rolleyes:

Libs try to divert attention to irrelevant social issues to scare the mentally challenged base because they can't run on their economic record.

Speling wuz never my strong sewt. LOLOL

So he's Pro-choice? And Pro-Gay Marriage?

no - the obvious answer is to always point back to Reagan and say you're following his playbook.

like when he raised taxes 11 times and supported Planned Parenthood? :wave:

cherry-pick the 3 or 4 Reagan-like things

and then complain that detractors are cherry-picking the Bush-like things.

And when Obummer points out that Reagan favored diplomacy with our enemies over armed conflict and that tax rates during his terms were higher than they are today, what does Mitt do then?

Newbie is dead on with Assfroth... Guy has made horrific comments about gays that render him unelectable in a general election...

Beyond me why anyone pays attention to this guy... He is a political dead end.

So he's Pro-choice? And Pro-Gay Marriage?

You made some claims about him wanting to ban contraception, etc.....

You got nothing to back up those claims, so you are in tap-dancing mode. :thumbsup:

Social issues irrelevant? The economy is effected by so many thiungs outside of teh Presidents hands that he's almost just a bystander. Do you think gay marriage is an unimportant issue to the millions of gays out there? Or abortion is irrelevant to all the females out there? Once these freedopms are taken away by some radical loon, they may be gone forever. Socail issues are a HUGE factor.

You made some claims about him wanting to ban contraception, etc.....

You got nothing to back up those claims, so you are in tap-dancing mode. :thumbsup:

Answer my two questions please. What is Santorum's stance on abortion and gay marriage?

I care more about the economy and foreign policy, but social issues matter to me too. I don't want a president who espouses bizarro ideas about how there should be laws against adultery and I don't want a president who compares same-sex couples to bestiality or incest. I think our president should not be a freak. :dunno:

Lets be real here...Orders of magnitude.

1.) Economy

2.) Foreign Policy (may be 1a given how the iran thing is playing out)

3.) blah blah blah

4.) blah blah blah

5.) Social Issues

Social issues irrelevant? The economy is effected by so many thiungs outside of teh Presidents hands that he's almost just a bystander. Do you think gay marriage is an unimportant issue to the millions of gays out there? Or abortion is irrelevant to all the females out there? Once these freedopms are taken away by some radical loon, they may be gone forever. Socail issues are a HUGE factor.

Social isses are a huge distrcation from the real issues... Dudes being allow to wear wedding dresses as compared to the economy?

Your precious aboritions are legal and aren't going anywhere, its just a distraction...

As a straight, neutered guy, i am in the same boat. I have an opinion on gay marriage, abortion, birth control etc, and they are all the same. i dont give a fock what someone else does as long as i dont have to fund it.

I guess by "not caring about Social Issues" I mean, I don't care who marries who or what anyone does to their own body so long as I don't have to pay for it or be responsible for it.

It's the Repubs. that always have these religious/social issues at teh forefront of their campaign and I just don't understand how any of it can be as important as economy/foreign policy.

Only when the economy is wonderful and our Military/Foreign affairs golden, is there the Luxury of debating who focks who and who marries who. Until then, you might be speaking Chinese - so focus on securing your freedoms first before you bicker about what you can and can't do.

What is Santorum's stance on abortion and gay marriage?

Wait, what? Are you saying you made claims about his stance on those issues and don't know his stance on those issues?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya. :lol:

I guess by "not caring about Social Issues" I mean, I don't care who marries who or what anyone does to their own body so long as I don't have to pay for it or be responsible for it.

It's the Repubs. that always have these religious/social issues at teh forefront of their campaign and I just don't understand how any of it can be as important as economy/foreign policy.

Only when the economy is wonderful and our Military/Foreign affairs golden, is there the Luxury of debating who focks who and who marries who. Until then, you might be speaking Chinese - so focus on securing your freedoms first before you bicker about what you can and can't do.

It's their marketing campaign. That's how they get all the Southern and middle states. Catering to the bible thumpers. It works well.

Wait, what? Are you saying you made claims about his stance on those issues and don't know his stance on those issues?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya. :lol:

Are you even serious?

Nevermind...

After the 2004 election I remember making the statement "It's amazing that the Democrats couldnt trot out ANYONE that could beat the clown in office."

Pretty sure after the 2012 election I will be saying the same thing just replace the word Democrats with the word Republicans.

Lets be real here...Orders of magnitude.

1.) Economy

2.) Foreign Policy (may be 1a given how the iran thing is playing out)

3.) blah blah blah

4.) blah blah blah

5.) Social Issues

That's pretty much what I said, but I'll qualify it:

Social issues aren't a big deal to me provided they fall within a spectrum of normal discourse. So the fact that Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich are from what I can tell pro life doesn't really affect the likelihood that I'd vote for either of them.

The fact that Santorum likens same-sex marriage to pedophilia, thinks that adultery should be illegal, says the notion that the government should stay out of our bedrooms and lives is wrong, etc. though, is I think pretty bizarre. And it makes me question the judgement of the guy on other issues.

Gas prices this summer will be the final nail in his coffin. $4.50 at the pump will be his end........that and all the other rosey (rose colored glasses) economic news. Unemployment has not improved it has gotten worse. Those who freeload too long are removed. The pool of the unemployed has only gotten smaller since they can't count those who are no longer included in the pool. Smoke an mirrors, with a very willing flock of sheep. That flock includes many bought and payed for groups and the network media.

The one thing we do know for sure. IF he does not win, there WILL be rioting in the streets. If he does win, there will be a horrible news for him AGAIN in his mid term elections.