Sign in to follow this  
Pavlov

Last 10 years of your team's roster--who goes to the HoF?

A separate thread got me thinking about the requirements to get in the HoF and how few Patriots would make it, despite the fact that a bunch of them have 3 rings.

The obvious:

Tom Brady

Randy Moss

...and then there's a steep drop off. The next name that comes to mind is Seymour (tons of Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams, although the modern Pro Bowl is diluted by fan voting). He plays a position that's pretty stat dependent and had timely sacks, but never was a sack machine. Everyone mentions Vinatieri, but a) he's a kicker. And b ) Gary Anderson is lightyears ahead of him in points scored and isn't even on the ballot yet. My best guess is Matt Light will get in after multiple ballots. The Pats line has been really really good with him as an anchor.

Woodson - Lock

Favre - Lock

Driver - (maybe... WRs are disrespected mostly)

To be determined....

Rodgers

Jennings

Raji

Matthews

Alan Faneca - One of the most dominant guards of the era. Should be a lock

Ben Roethlisberger - Needs another 5-8 years of good play. I would put his chances at less than 50%

Troy Polamalou - Needs another 3-5 years of good play, although safeties can play along time. Lynch was a probowler until 37-38. I would put his chances at about 25%

The steelers have been a dominant team, but they have done it by having a team full of above average players. Similar to the patriots.

Bill Cowher: The thing that holds him back for now is a possibility he returns to coaching. It may take several years, but if he stays out of coaching, he's worthy of consideration.

Troy Polamalu: Very good chance

Jerome Bettis: He'll eventually get there and deserves to be

Ben Roethlisberger: If he keeps up his current level of play, a very good possibility.

Hines Ward: I think he makes it, but it'll take a while like it did for Swan and Stalworth.

Glad to see Dermonti Dawson finally getting inducted.

Woodson - Lock

Favre - Lock

Driver - (maybe... WRs are disrespected mostly)

To be determined....

Rodgers

Jennings

Raji

Matthews

There is no way no how that Donald Driver makes it into the HOF. Even if he played long enough to pick up 200 more receptions and 3000 more yards (5 years until he is 41? Longer?) he still wouldnt be in the top 10 in either category.

A separate thread got me thinking about the requirements to get in the HoF and how few Patriots would make it, despite the fact that a bunch of them have 3 rings.

The obvious:

Tom Brady

Randy Moss

...and then there's a steep drop off. The next name that comes to mind is Seymour (tons of Pro Bowls and All-Pro teams, although the modern Pro Bowl is diluted by fan voting). He plays a position that's pretty stat dependent and had timely sacks, but never was a sack machine. Everyone mentions Vinatieri, but a) he's a kicker. And b ) Gary Anderson is lightyears ahead of him in points scored and isn't even on the ballot yet. My best guess is Matt Light will get in after multiple ballots. The Pats line has been really really good with him as an anchor.

The only other ones i can think of that even have a prayer are Droo Bledsoe (8th all time in passing yds, 15th in passing TDs) and then maybe Tedy Bruschi ( 1/2 man 1/2god 1/2 mythical centaur) and Ty Law. But i dont think any of them will get in. I dont think any of them were dominant, or considered the best at their position.Oh and Welker (DUH!) but he would have to play at his current level for another 5-6 years, and maybe longer. He is WAAAAAAY down the list in Rec Yds. (106th all time)

Jets:

Curtis Martin

and?

Nick Mangold

He needs to play solid ball for 4-6 more years, but so far he has played like a hall of famer.

Jets:

Curtis Martin

and?

It pains me to say nice things about the Jets, but Revis has a good chance if he stays healthy. And let's not forget Tebow :thumbsup:

Forgot to add Wilfork as a fringe guy. Awesome talent, but plays perhaps the least sexy position in the game (NT). He and Hampton both have the talent to be in the HoF, but both are probably on the outside looking in because "all" they do is occupy two blockers on most plays.

Walter Jones- First ballot lock

Steve Hutchinson mayyyybe.

Shaun Alexander might get a little discussion but he wont get in and doesn't deserve to get in.

Earl Thomas is the only guy on the current roster I could see having a HOF career.

Walter Jones- First ballot lock

Steve Hutchinson mayyyybe.

Shaun Alexander might get a little discussion but he wont get in and doesn't deserve to get in.

Earl Thomas is the only guy on the current roster I could see having a HOF career.

I was set to post Ricky Watters, but I think he is one year beyond the 10 year limit.

I'd think at least one of those old guys Holmgren and company signed on defense on the downside of their careers, but I'm drinking steadily, and I can't remember specific names.

Urlacher. Briggs has a shot. Peppers. If hester has a few more return tds he will have to be considered. If he doesnt have any more, which is possible due to the visible signs of wear and tear, i would say no.

One more thing i would like to point out is peanut tillman is an underrated corner that has deserved more than his 1 pro bowl appearance.

Urlacher. Briggs has a shot. Peppers. If hester has a few more return tds he will have to be considered. If he doesnt have any more, which is possible due to the visible signs of wear and tear, i would say no.

One more thing i would like to point out is peanut tillman is an underrated corner that has deserved more than his 1 pro bowl appearance.

I have a hard time believeing Hester will even sniff induction. He is a one trick pony: Punt return TDs. Granted that one trick can be spectacular. But he isnt even that far up the list on punt return yardage. I mean Josh Cribbs is the all time kickoff return TD leader. Is he a HOFer? The HOF has been historically harsh on special teamers. There is 1 guy who kicked exclusively in the HOF. There are zero punters. I mean i guess if he returned 15 more kicks between now and his retirement, maybe he could force the issue. Set the record so ridiculously high they had to at least have a conversation about him. But i dont think he has gotten there yet.

EDIT: Which i guess is pretty much what you said and i just missed it somehow LOL

I was set to post Ricky Watters, but I think he is one year beyond the 10 year limit.

I'd think at least one of those old guys Holmgren and company signed on defense on the downside of their careers, but I'm drinking steadily, and I can't remember specific names.

John Randle should get in, or he might have already.

Watters should have played another couple years.

John Randle should get in, or he might have already.

Watters should have played another couple years.

Randle was elected in 2010.

Cards:

I'll skip guys like Emmitt Smith, Edgerrin James, and Alan Faneca who came here in their twilight

Fitz is the only guy on the roster who seems well on his way

Aeneas Williams is a finalist this year, and I really hope he makes it

Cards:

I'll skip guys like Emmitt Smith, Edgerrin James, and Alan Faneca who came here in their twilight

Fitz is the only guy on the roster who seems well on his way

Aeneas Williams is a finalist this year, and I really hope he makes it

Not sure if Warner also qualifies for twilight since he did pretty well out there, but I think he gets in. Welker does not, barring ripping off a ton of excellent seasons over the next 4-5 years, which probably won't happen because he'll get older and Brady will retire at some point.

Bengals...nobody. They've had some guys that had the talent, but the lack of team success eliminated any personal recognition. Willie Anderson comes to mind as being someone affected by this, Corey Dillon as well. Same thing with Andrew Withworth. His stats hold up against any left tackle in the league, but he'll never get the respect due to the poor performance of the team. 2 to watch over the next decade are Dalton and Green obviously.

Does Welker get in?

Maybe the best slot receiver ever.

He still has a good bit of work to do, IMO.

He currently ranks 46th all time in receptions, and 106th all time in rec yards.

He will be 31 when the 2012 season starts. Since becoming a Patriot he has averaged 111 rec and 1221 yards per season.

If he can stay healthy for 5 more years, and lets say average 90 receptions and 1000 yds over that stretch, that would put him at 1100 receptions and over 12,000 yards, which would rank him in the top 20 for yards and in the top 5 for receptions and be within striking distance of #2 all time (Tony Gonzalez currently with 1149 Receptions), and i think that he would get some serious consideration, especially if guys like Cris Carter, Tim Brown and Andre Reed start to filter in before Welker retires.

Other positives: . 4 Pro Bowls, led NFL in receptions 3 times in 5 years with Patriots

The one big negative for Welker is his lack of TD receptions. He only has 33, which doesnt even rank him in the top 250 all time. Heck Rob Gronkowski already has 27, and he has only been in the league 2 years.

I hate to same none, but my team has only been around for 10 years.

Mario Williams maybe???

Would like to say Andre Johnson but we all know how hard it is for a WR to get in.

Cushing is the one to keep a eye on.

Not counting David Carr since he is aready in with the most sacks in a single season.

Colts:

Manning

Harrison

Saturday - Has a shot

Freeney

Vinny - Kicker with 4 rings? I think he might get in sometime, just not a first rounder

There is no way no how that Donald Driver makes it into the HOF. Even if he played long enough to pick up 200 more receptions and 3000 more yards (5 years until he is 41? Longer?) he still wouldnt be in the top 10 in either category.

Packer fan here. Donald Driver is a great football story and a very good WR but the HOF should be for the elite and Driver is not elite. He is a lock for the GB Packer Hall of Fame.

I would love to have a team of Donald Drivers.

Not sure if Warner also qualifies for twilight since he did pretty well out there, but I think he gets in. Welker does not, barring ripping off a ton of excellent seasons over the next 4-5 years, which probably won't happen because he'll get older and Brady will retire at some point.

Sorry yeah, I totally forgot Warner. :doh: He was kinda important, not just a twilight guy.

Chargers

LT

Gates

Rivers if he wins a ring

Dielman maybe senior committee

Rivers needs to do a lot more to get into the hall of fame.

Cowboys

Larry Allen - lock

Charles Haley - getting closer

DeMarcus Ware - lock

Terrel Owens - lock

Jason Witten - (has a chance anyway)

Randle was elected in 2010.

Yup, Randle's in. And Tez will be in this year.

The only other name I can think of would be Walter Jones.

Jets:

Curtis Martin

and?

ive seen people labeling guys like Vinatieri as a Colt so id assume guys like favre, LT and Faneca count for the Jets as well?

Curtis Martin

Alan Faneca

Nick Mangold

Brett Favre

Tomlinson

Jason Taylor

Revis will get there

Ferguson has a shot if he continues to make pro bowls.

yes i realize half these names did a majority of their work elsewhere but Faneca did have some real good years in NY.

ive seen people labeling guys like Vinatieri as a Colt so id assume guys like favre, LT and Faneca count for the Jets as well?

Curtis Martin

Alan Faneca

Nick Mangold

Brett Favre

Tomlinson

Jason Taylor

Revis will get there

Ferguson has a shot if he continues to make pro bowls.

yes i realize half these names did a majority of their work elsewhere but Faneca did have some real good years in NY.

Majority of their work elsewhere?.....that is a huuuuuuuuuuge overstatement

Faneca...2 years

Favre 1 year

Tomlinson...2 years in essentially a backup roll

Jason Taylor 1 sucky year

Those were reaches. Kinda like calling Franco Harris a Seahawk and Mike Webster a Chief.

I think Ferguson is starting to get a reputation as overrated???

Majority of their work elsewhere?.....that is a huuuuuuuuuuge overstatement

Faneca...2 years

Favre 1 year

Tomlinson...2 years in essentially a backup roll

Jason Taylor 1 sucky year

Those were reaches. Kinda like calling Franco Harris a Seahawk and Mike Webster a Chief.

I think Ferguson is starting to get a reputation as overrated???

i didn't add any of their names in a serious fashion.

although Faneca's 2 years were VERY good.

Brick has potentially given up a few too many sacks lately but a lot of that has to do with Sanchez. Still he has started every game since 2006 and made 2 pro bowls so far. Time will tell

49ers:

Terrell Owens, maybe Bryant Young, Patrick Willis if he continues his play.

edit: Forgot Isaac Bruce was there for the last couple years of his career.

i didn't add any of their names in a serious fashion.

although Faneca's 2 years were VERY good.

Brick has potentially given up a few too many sacks lately but a lot of that has to do with Sanchez. Still he has started every game since 2006 and made 2 pro bowls so far. Time will tell

Faneca was so good they cut him