Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

They focking came out with a 3 ball putter one year that would take up your whole bag. Can't stand the gimmicks.

The 3-ball putter is right up there with the Alien wedge and the NIke Sumo driver as the gawd awful ugliest innivations to come out of golf over the past 30 years.

I am not one to change drivers just for the sake of changing - have been playing my G10 for about 2 years now and love it. But I hit my buddies Rocketballz a few times this weekend and I may have to give it a try. This thing really launches the ball - seemed extremely hot off the face and appeared to really roll out more than my Ping. Anyone play a Rocketballz driver?

yes i play the RBZ. bought it last winter. Great club. Im not sure how much distance I may have gained compared to my previous Callaway FT3 but i can say for sure that I am much more accurate with it. For me, a lot of my confidence with a club comes from what I see when I look down, same for a lot of golfers. If it fits my eye, my confidence goes way up. The FT3 was not a traditional head shape and had that previous Callaway style hosel that i was never a huge fan of.

actually i just got a flier in the mail for the R1 launch day and they are trying to tempt me by offering 50% additional trade in value :lol: as if i don't already know their trade in value are complete screw jobs. I may still go and bring my FT3 and collect the "ball per yard gained" they promise and enter into the drawing for clubs. :dunno:

The 3-ball putter is right up there with the Alien wedge

:lol: when i was like 12 my grandfather bought me one of those, he probably saw the infomercial for it. thing was ugly as hell but it did indeed work.

Made another stab at finding a 3 wood I can hit like I want. My R11S 15.5 degree arrived this morning (buy lots of clubs on ebay). Been testing and hitting it pretty well in the nets - but then again, everything feels good in the nets. 3-woods are the hardest damn club to find, always has been - least for me. We'll see how it goes. :dunno:

Made another stab at finding a 3 wood I can hit like I want. My R11S 15.5 degree arrived this morning (buy lots of clubs on ebay). Been testing and hitting it pretty well in the nets - but then again, everything feels good in the nets. 3-woods are the hardest damn club to find, always has been - least for me. We'll see how it goes. :dunno:

Last year, I found the Callaway FT-5 3wood and 5wood brand new in the plastic at a golf expo. Picked them up for 50 bucks a piece and absolutely love them. They'll be in my bag for a while.

I have a burner 3w i can crush off the deck, i may push/pull it slightly depending on lie, but little sidespin.

The rbz is a really nice 3 wood. I didnt buy one when I got the driver because I bomb my current callaway FT.

Im sure you buy from reputable ebay people but there are a lot of fakes on ebay. Ive bought my hybrid and my irons off ebay. I even called callaway with the serial number off my irons and even though they usually won't, the guy I spoke too was very nice and let me know that the ebay user (a gokf store) was indeed who bought my irons wholesale.

Golfsmith is a decent site for cheap clubs as well. Second swing is a good site for used clubs. I found a rare hogan SW that I ended up liking less than my mizuno, but it was a good find and pretty cheap

(EDIT... tour edge )exotics makes very good fairway woods.... I have had my xcg 15 degree for about 4 years now and love it. I have had a few friends try it out and are looking to switch (they were playing rocketballz and diablo high octane respectively)... nice ball flight, workable, and VERY long... infact the lenght may be the only negative as it simply goes too far for the courses around here. If you are looking at exotics my recommendation would be to try the 4-wood and see how you like the distance.

59 watch on for Fatty at the PGA stop in Phoenix. Needs to birdie one of his 2 remaining holes for it. Both par-4s. Choke Fatty choke :mad:

59 watch on for Fatty at the PGA stop in Phoenix. Needs to birdie one of his 2 remaining holes for it. Both par-4s. Choke Fatty choke :mad:

Damn, did he get on deer antler spray too? :unsure:

to whom are you referring?

to whom are you referring?

Mickelson - and he didn't get it, posted 60.

Mickelson - and he didn't get it, posted 60.

:thumbsup:

wish he got it but im happy to see him playing, and especially putting, well. i expect him to be in contention at augusta as usual and i would really like him to get a US Open win before he retires. he deserves that one.

:thumbsup:

wish he got it but im happy to see him playing, and especially putting, well. i expect him to be in contention at augusta as usual and i would really like him to get a US Open win before he retires. he deserves that one.

Yep. :thumbsup:

I suspect that he will be similar to Fred Couples in that Phil will be able to compete at the Masters until he is 55 years old. And I expect he will find a way to win once more at Augusta along the way. But a US Open is what I really want for him. It would be the bowtie on his career as the 2nd best player of the best 25 years.

Phil has been both blessed and cursed druing his golfing career. I'm not sure I've ever seen a final round like the one he played with Payne ('99/Pinehurst) and still come up short. The short game exhibition he put on that day was out of this world... That being said, I've never seen someone kick a gift horse in the nuts so hard like he did at Winged Foot. That meltdown was off the charts, beyond comprehension, and flat out stupid. It would be nice for Phil to get a US Open, but there are others that I'd like to see get one way more than he: Stricker, Dufner, Kuchar, and D. Johnson come to mind.

Spent a couple hours on the range last night. I really liked how the new 3 wood felt - it's long, and unlike others I have had, I can hit it low and boring off of the tee. As you local boys know in Texas that is a shot you often find yourself needing. Also killing my irons - have never hit the ball so far with so little effort in my life. Saturday & Sunday look to be sunny and in the middle 60's - 27 more both days on the horizon!

Stricker maybe. The other guys, while I like them, have plenty of time. Phil absolutely choked away that open ay winged foot. Terrible. Hit a focking iron off the tee!

That said with so many other close calls where he did play well, he deserves one more than anyone else I can think of.

Damn, Phil made damn near everything he looked at this week. Look for everyone and their dog trying the claw on the putting green soon. Maybe I should try it - missed 6 four footers and in for 79 y-day, those boys raided my wallet pretty good.

Damn, Phil made damn near everything he looked at this week. Look for everyone and their dog trying the claw on the putting green soon. Maybe I should try it - missed 6 four footers and in for 79 y-day, those boys raided my wallet pretty good.

I've been using the claw for about 5-6 years now and love it. Thing is, I never yip anymore. I used to get the dreaded yips once in a while, that awful flinch right when you are about to make contact with the ball, but the claw has cured it. I would consider myself a B+ or A- putter now, and it is all thanks to the claw. If you ever get the yips, I strongly suggest you give it a try.

I tried the claw a few years ago for a couple rounds. It felt good and I was pretty decent with the 6-10 footers. But real short 3-4 footers and longer putts weren't that great. I had a problem with speed.

79 with 6 four footers missed? Thats pretty wild.

I'm in full blown golf fever right now. It's been culminating for about two years but I'm hooked. Shot a 82 yesterday with two birdies on a pretty tough track from the blue tees which has me pumped.

The PGA Tour is going to be awesome to watch on TV too. Tiger is playing well, Phil is playing well, plus we have all those young Euro's on the scene mixed in with the 'Golf Boys' from America like Bubba, Mahan, Fowler, etc. I cannot freakin' wait until the Masters. :thumbsup:

I have used the claw for probably 8 years or so. Good for having it go straight. It takes a little bit to get the feel for distance.

Everyone was putting well this week, though. The break on those greens was very slight and they were very smooth. I don't think that you will see the same on other courses throughout the season.

Everyone was putting well this week, though. The break on those greens was very slight and they were very smooth. I don't think that you will see the same on other courses throughout the season.

Oh no, you never do. Hell you won't even see it this week when they travel to Pebble Beach and those poa annua greens.......... Potential super star in the making watch - Brandt Snedeker. Bit of a late bloomer, but damn is this dude lighting it up. He wasn't the only goat of the last Ryder Cup and he seems to have picked right back up from his hot season finish last year. 64, 66, 65, 65 this week and lost - wow.

phil doesn't need the claw to put that way but if its working for him, then :thumbsup: .

In terms of what he has left of the rest of his career, I think he will contend at augusta into his early 50's like we have seen (and was already said by cb) with freddy. I think he can win 1-2 more green jackets. Total wins? I don't think 10 is out of the question, especially if he can start winning more than once per year. I don't know if he will ever get that elusive US Open but I do think he will win 1-2 more majors outside the Masters. So it looks like I am predicting 2-4 more major wins.

I've never had the "yips" but one thing I started doing a few years ago that helped my putting out big time was my breathing. especially on the mid range and short putts. I try to take a nice deep inhale and then make my stroke during the nice long exhale.

All of my life, starting with putt putt as a kid, and with serious golf starting in 1996, I've putted with my right index finger down the shaft. I have no idea how that started (my dad doesn't do it) and I don't ever remember seeing a pro with that grip. (although I've done some reading on it and plenty of people do it).

I've changed my stroke over the years, but I've never once changed my putting grip. And I've never once considered it. As we've discussed, putting is such an unreliable stat. What are some benchmarks to know if you are a good putter? :dunno:

All of my life, starting with putt putt as a kid, and with serious golf starting in 1996, I've putted with my right index finger down the shaft. I have no idea how that started (my dad doesn't do it) and I don't ever remember seeing a pro with that grip. (although I've done some reading on it and plenty of people do it).

I've changed my stroke over the years, but I've never once changed my putting grip. And I've never once considered it. As we've discussed, putting is such an unreliable stat. What are some benchmarks to know if you are a good putter? :dunno:

im not sure there are many benchmarks. there has been some talk in this thread about keeping track of your "money" putts, putts inside a certain range that you would like to be making.

in my opinion, you are a good putter if you can eliminate three putts. I don't care how far away you are with your approach, your lag putting should get you into a comfortable range for your second putt. which brings up lag putting. an important and overlooked skill. From there, I would think that a good putter is automatic from 3 feet. After that, its about those money putts and seeing what kind of % of those you are making versus what % you want to be making.

I used to putt like this as well until a year or so ago. It just feels like I could control the putter better with that index finger as a guide. But then I noticed that not one single pro putts like that. I started noticing that not one single golfer that I play with who is worth a damn putted like that.

So I changed and brought my index finger back up. At the same time I changed how my elbows were positioned. I brought by arms (elbows) in much more tightly to my body. I can hold a towel under both my arm pits while putting. A pro told me I was to "chicken wing'd" as he put it. He was a good ole country boy. :)

It took a bit to get used too but I feel like I put better now than I used too.

What are some benchmarks to know if you are a good putter? :dunno:

To me it's all about the 6 footers and in - all really good putters drain those day in and day out. I am not concerned about sinking 15-25 footers, they are rare, and they will only come so often anyways. But I'm averaging 10 gir's a round so I am faced 8 short putts for par most times out of the box - a good putter makes those and a good putter turns my 79 into a 73 yesterday. Ha, damn I'm still pissed.

The rbz is a really nice 3 wood. I didnt buy one when I got the driver because I bomb my current callaway FT.

Im sure you buy from reputable ebay people but there are a lot of fakes on ebay. Ive bought my hybrid and my irons off ebay. I even called callaway with the serial number off my irons and even though they usually won't, the guy I spoke too was very nice and let me know that the ebay user (a gokf store) was indeed who bought my irons wholesale.

I have a RBZ 3-wood and love it, straight and long...

I have a RBZ 3-wood and love it, straight and long...

nice. i've heard only good things. i may give one a try but like i said, i still love my current 3. if i get the itch i may add an RBZ to the bag

Well - went to the range last night and practiced for 2 1/2 hours. Spent about an hour hitting balls, the rest on the putting green. I tried the Claw grip - to my amazement, it was working. Not only was it working but it was workiing pretty much right off the bat, I couldn't believe it. As shocked as I was with draining putts, I was actually more impressed with what the stroke wasn't doing. I wasn't getting and awkward feeling, I wasn't hitting putts clanky, and I wasn't have much trouble with distance control. In fact, my pace seemed to be actually better with this stroke. I am going to go back out to the range Thursday evening and then play 9 holes Friday - if all goes well and I feel comfortable with it, I'll put it in play this weekend.:dunno:

If you get the yips it just means you need to drink more alcohol.

Never really got the yips. I have had a problem with deceleration when I have played faster greens than I am accustom too, until I find the speed. Usually the days I don't get a fair chance to putt a little bit before we tee off. That may be considered a yip.

To me it never mattered how you putted. When I try to show beginners what to do on the green it is basically get comfortable then get confidence. Sure keeping your head down and pace of your putter head are basic keys. No short jerky motions, no exaggerated long strokes. In my opinion putting is the least technical aspect of golf. Everyone putts different. If you aren't comfortable you won't putt well, even if you are sticking to any rigid fundamentals in putting.

I've found it hard to change around my putting. From my putter to grip to where the ball is placed in my stance. I know a 3 handicap who practices up a storm and will go from long putter, to belly putter, once in a great while to a standard putter, to cross hand. And in the end it is just a cycle. He is good enough at all styles, but seems like he will never be satisfied because he doesn't let 1 style ride out.

When you learn how to make a decent putting stroke, confidence is basically 90% of putting. I could be using the same exact stroke and 1 day the hole may look like a pal right from hole 1. The next day it may look like a hole to a birdhouse.

I'm worried I've suffered a deathly golf injury.

About 4 months ago, I played on a Saturday. My left knee (I'm right handed) was slightly sore during the round. Sunday was fine, then Monday my knee was swollen like a grapefruit. I went to my primary physician and he just felt it and decided to draw blood to make sure there was no infection (came back clean), and gave me some antibiotics just in case. About 3 days later the swelling was down and I was back on the course within 2 weeks.

Well Sunday I played (very badly). Never once thought about my knee. But the same thing has happened again, but this time it's worse. Swollen, can't bend my leg or even really lift it. And whereas last time it was much better on day 2, this time on day 3 I see little to no improvement.

I can put weight on it and walk, but I have to move very carefully, and obviously with a ridiculous limp. I'm wondering if I'm looking at a tear. <_<

When you learn how to make a decent putting stroke, confidence is basically 90% of putting. I could be using the same exact stroke and 1 day the hole may look like a pal right from hole 1. The next day it may look like a hole to a birdhouse.

Confidence is a big part of it, but I would not put it at 90%. The stroke itself is not a huge concern, but alignment and speed are equally huge..... You are young, yips are not part of your system yet - you will fight them at one point or another when you get older... What is your GHIN?

Confidence is a big part of it, but I would not put it at 90%. The stroke itself is not a huge concern, but alignment and speed are equally huge..... You are young, yips are not part of your system yet - you will fight them at one point or another when you get older... What is your GHIN?

My index? Has been a while since our golf season. I think it ended at 8.3 or something.

Yea, alignment is key. But fairly self explanatory. Seems a lot trickier to line up a golf shot rather than a putt.

Depends what greens you are playing as well. If you are playing a tough course with some serious undulations, confidence will be less of a factor and thinking your way around a green will come more into play. But you average 70.0/128 course I think confidence is supreme. You get your regular 9 handicap out there who can putt fairly well. The difference between a good putting day vs. a bad one is virtually all confidence in my opinion. You can get into bad habits like taking the putter back to the outside then pulling putts all over the place. But it is like shooting pool. It isn't a hard motion to figure out. You want to come back straight and come through impact straight....so the ball goes straight. Speed is something that you develop a feel for. But for the most part any decent golfer understands the putting stroke. It is the confidence to trust your line, keep the putter head moving, and trust that the ball will roll where you are trying to hit it. A lot of times when your fundamentals are off, it is because you don't trust a stroke that you have used for years.

I also am a big believer in taking a little bit of the break out. Play slightly less break and make sure you get it to the hole. None of this dying the ball into the hole crap. It all starts with short putts. If you are really good at cleaning up 3-5 footers you will make more from long range as you have more confidence if you miss. People try to get way too precise on the green.

Two things.

1. If youre stuggling with yips and nerves im searious when I say breathing is a huge thing to focus on. Focus on a deep breath and make your stroke as you exhale. Force yiurself to focus on the breathing and not the "yips". It will steady you.

2. Dont leave putts short. Generally speaking. I recall an jnstructor I once worked with having a competition between some of the students. And 18 hole putting green. First to finish wins. The catch is no putt can be left short of the hole. If you dont make it, you better give it enough to pass the cup or you start over. Ill never forget that little drill/game

Agreed on never leaving it short. If you have rounds to waste, not all do, it is a good drill to try in an actual round. See how many more you can make. Don't worry so much about the comeback putt. Aggressiveness and a well practiced short putting game can go a long way in shooting low numbers.

Don't worry so much about the comeback putt. Aggressiveness and a well practiced short putting game can go a long way in shooting low numbers.

Ha, says the young one... As Curtis Strange told Tiger back in that '96 inverview, "you'll learn." In all seriousness, you have the luxury and mentality of charging the hole - a common theme with all young players since prolly the beginning of time. As you get older that philosophy changes a bit bcoz your nerves are not the same on short putts from 5 feet at 43 years of age as when you were 23.

I also am a big believer in taking a little bit of the break out. Play slightly less break and make sure you get it to the hole. None of this dying the ball into the hole crap. It all starts with short putts. If you are really good at cleaning up 3-5 footers you will make more from long range as you have more confidence if you miss. People try to get way too precise on the green.

As was the thinking and style of such greats as Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, and even Tiger Woods. Then there is the other kind of putter, the one who prefers to die the ball into the hole. Such putting greats as Ben Crenshaw, Lee Trevino, Brad Faxon, Dave Stockton and this other guy you might of heard of preferred to do it this way:

The average golfer, from my observation, plays about half as much break as is necessary and hits the putt too hard. I would rather play more break and hit the putt easier.

It really boils down to your personal style - which will more often than not mimic your golf swing. I've shot my fair share of low scores and I've had days when I feel like I couldn't make a putt if the hole was the size of a bucket. To me, when I'm not making the short ones it's all in my alignment.