Sign in to follow this  
420allstars

FFT Zealots Dynasty start-up draft

By request I have removed the link till were all done. Sorry to the guys who were against this post. Will put the link back up in a week or so.

I would respectfully ask that feedback be withheld until the draft is completed.

I understand Patmos. Just wanted to comment that you see some owners drafting to win now & some for the future. Some conservative drafters & some guys looking to hit homeruns. My favorite teams thus far include Patmos, 420allstars, ralphster & coryjagfan. Doesn't mean that can't change as the draft unfolds.

One thing I found interesting was the teams that took Graham/Gronk in the 1st round also drafted Brees/Brady in the 2nd round. Fun draft to watch unfold!

I would respectfully ask that feedback be withheld until the draft is completed.

I think that as long as it's kept to players already drafted, it has no influence. I probably wouldn't post a draft thread if I wasn't looking for feedback either (not saying you were the one who posted it).

That being said... Not liking what BonkBonk has done so far. Worst first 3 rounds of the group IMO. MJD has a ton of miles and I'm not sold on Lynch. Then you got a 32 year old WR as the #1. I probably would have went TRich in the 1st and then AJ or Julio in the 2nd. Then grab one of the older workhouse RB's in the 3rd (Gore/etc.).

Think I like UNC Dave and 420 All Stars first 3 rounds the best so far. CoryJagFan could end up having a real nice squad too.

well....sh!t...i was happy about my draft :(

Haha, it's still early and you have a nice start for a "win this year" team. Dynasty is difficult, because you need to mix in youth/upside with the proven vets. You don't want to draft all young prospects, because then you're always in the middle of the pack. But you also don't want a bunch of 28-30 year old, because then you're already in rebuild mode a year or two later.

Haha, it's still early and you have a nice start for a "win this year" team. Dynasty is difficult, because you need to mix in youth/upside with the proven vets. You don't want to draft all young prospects, because then you're always in the middle of the pack. But you also don't want a bunch of 28-30 year old, because then you're already in rebuild mode a year or two later.

If I remember right, I think the rules of this league dictate you can only keep a player for up to 3 years though, so that changes things a little bit in my opinion. This format creates a lot of turnover. Youth is obviously still important in terms of trading opportunities in the 2nd or 3rd year, but it's not as important as a dynasty league where you keep a player forever. As long as I see a 2-3 year window of production in a player, I would mostly play to "win now" in this format, and use youth as more of a tiebreaker between players I think are close. Just my opinion. I won't comment further on actual selections because some people requested that we don't.

If I remember right, I think the rules of this league dictate you can only keep a player for up to 3 years though, so that changes things a little bit in my opinion. This format creates a lot of turnover. Youth is obviously still important in terms of trading opportunities in the 2nd or 3rd year, but it's not as important as a dynasty league where you keep a player forever. As long as I see a 2-3 year window of production in a player, I would mostly play to "win now" in this format, and use youth as more of a tiebreaker between players I think are close. Just my opinion. I won't comment further on actual selections because some people requested that we don't.

Ahh, didn't know that. Very true in that case. Just assumed it was a Dynasty League, since that's the thread title.

Any interested owners should provide a draft recap of their initial strategy and thought process as the draft unfolded once we finally finish this beast.

Any interested owners should provide a draft recap of their initial strategy and thought process as the draft unfolded once we finally finish this beast.

I love that some guys are giving there draft comments with the pick...

so far this things been a blast! good group of owners :cheers:

Yeah I will post my strategy at the end just for fun and to be berated, let me see it is not happening exactly how I saw it. Mocks can be a bad thing. Haha :lol:

So after long deliberation and much thought i have decided that my draft strategy is pick the players that well get me a championship.

I love this format. Guys jumping on an off of the league board all day, texting each other when their turn is up, wondering "I swear I just saw him on and now its his pick, where did he go?!"

As far as posting comments on each pick, for all of the mocks I looked at in MFFL I much preferred to see comments, even if they were brief. I would like to see a "steal of the draft" vote as well. Maybe a "Head scratcher of the draft" as well. There are some very good teams shaping up but I will admit that I am biased towards mine. O well no one ever likes my drafts the most because I usually pick a little bit off of the grid anyway.

its a catch and release dynasty. i have no issue with people drafting "over the hill" guys.

I like how PFW does their mock in the magazine. After the draft, they have each owner mention

Draft Strategy

Happiest Pick

Riskiest Pick

Heartbreak Hotel (the player they missed out on)

its a catch and release dynasty. i have no issue with people drafting "over the hill" guys.

I like your description "catch and release" for this dynasty concept. I wish I'd have copywrited that "catch and release" idea when I developed this dynasty format. This league was modeled after our Fat Bastards league which is a year older and still carries about the same degree of enthusiasm as when it first started.

The rules encourage owner interaction and obviously trading, but there is a lot of subtle game strategy here. For instance, if your team is too young, you will be forced to play too many players and then 'release' them before they even hit their prime years of productivity; if the players are too long in the tooth when you acquire them, then they will have little 'resale value' 3 years later. About the only significant difference between Zealots and Fat Bastards is that 'Bastards' allows for drafting some college players as developmental picks in addition to rookies.

BTW, without commenting on the draft, I've had fun last night and tonight watching the chat and looking at ROSTERS on your league website to keep up with the actual draft. Some solid team building going on here and it looks like everyone is having a good time. I have great regard for your commish, Doug "The Evil One" who is a fine fat bastard if ever there was one.

what if i dont like any teams? :lol:

through the mid 6th one of my favorites is Evil Genius. But im really not a fan of taking an early QB

So I expected to like the teams without QB's but I see some nice picks mixed with some questionable ones.

I do like what Voice of Truth did even though I wouldn't have bothered to trade for the #1 overall. But given his position post trade, I like the chances he took and the value he got.

Ralphster is up there for me too. I love the Mathews/sproles combo in PPR plus AJ Green. Fred Jackson will be ok. Steve Smith is kind of old even for my taste in this format. won't be able to get anything for him when his tenure on your team is over. you should have gone with Bowe at that spot, imo. Still young and the potential to be a BEAST. But yes I like this team a lot. Some good youth, some win now players, and there are still plenty of options both young and old at QB and TE. some of which could make you hands down the favorite for a title in year 1.

Redman in the 4th shocked me the most. I love Redman in a redraft league but I don't think we really know what to expect from him at all beyond this year. Even the second half of this year is iffy. I wouldnt touch him until the 6th of a redraft so taking him in the 4th of a dynasty means you are expecting him to light it up and the Steelers to move on from Mendy past this year. Which is possible but not a bet i'd be making in round 4.

Also mention to BJGE as a questionable pick.

The decision on Redman is basically that I hope he does have a great year. Good enough that even if Mendy does come back he has value. The choices were between him Best and JStew. I think it was all risky there, but not riskier than waiting and ending up with someone like Beanie Wells as my 2. Now granted I could have probably gotten him in the 6th, looking back, but I wasn't so sure of that then.

Get your Tier 2 QBs here, folks. That is some QB run. And to trade a 2013 1st rounder and a 2012 2nd rounder for the rights to Andrew Luck drafted in the 7th round added a lot of spice. That's the difference between start-up dynasty draft values and next year rookie values I guess.

I think VOT might have been far better off drafting his QB a round earlier. His handcuff would almost certainly still have been there in round 8, but you never know for sure.

I like that I added 2 high picks for next year as well. I know it will be almost exclusively rookies, but you never know the value of a pick, until its round one, and you have two draft picks sitting there.

There are a couple of players I could of taken with the 7th rounder, but age was a factor. The players I wanted there would of been gone next year. So, Ill go with my second options when I get to the 8th round. Who knows, those players may still be there when I pick in the 8th.

Get your Tier 2 QBs here, folks. That is some QB run.

I actually had a predraft and took it back off, just to see how the round played out as it got closer. but I had 3 players predrafted. Vick, who went in the early 5th, Eli who went right before my pick, and Cutler. So, I think I did a pretty good job of guessing their value.

I like Cutler as a points hog. Marshall being back should help alot. And he plays 2 games each vs the lions and Vikings. My only concern is health. so I cant wait too long to take a backup

I know some in your league don't want us to comment before the draft is over, but I really like what you've done, Cory. If you check out our league http://www29.myfantasyleague.com/2012/home/48208#0 you will see that you are mirroring strategically what I have done myself in Fat Bastards. I make it a goal to try to get two 1st round picks every year. And I also am gonna ride with Cutler as my QB1 this year in that league. While I haven't drafted yet in the rookie draft, you will soon see that we will share the same rookie RB :)

So we will either win this year or go down the drain together :cheers:

So we will either win this year or go down the drain together :cheers:

To the Victors go the Beer icons

:cheers:

I guess I should honor that request.

After a 3-11 season, you'll need all things beer related anyways

I guess I should honor that request.

After a 3-11 season, you'll need all things beer related anyways

Ahh i see. Side wager on who does better this year?

Anyone know if the divisions are set up correctly? I know it was somthing to do with draft positions deciding where we all ended up.. :dunno:

I am guessing this year the divisions are random, the only thing I could find about setup was based on future seasons, this from the bylaws:

"N) Divisions: Divisions will be realigned each season, based on the finish of the previous season. the Schedule will provide that you play each of your divisional opponents twice, and each of your non-divisional opponents once, with one opponent randomly missed (this will be configured by the MFL scheduler). the finish order of the League will have teams ranked #12-1. Therefore, the next year's alignment will always be:

Division #1: 1, 2, 7, 8

Division #2: 3, 5, 9, 11

Division #3: 4, 6, 10, 12"

So future based off of finish order, but I think it would be interesting if this year were based off of draft pick to kind of go with the theme.

Anyone know if the divisions are set up correctly? I know it was somthing to do with draft positions deciding where we all ended up.. :dunno:

It will change from year to year. I have read that people who are in changing divisions prefer to keep them the same since it builds up fun rivalries. I am fine with the format though. I think the way its set up it will work out well.

Have you guys finished your draft yet? Wanted to see how everything unfolded after round 4.

Have you guys finished your draft yet? Wanted to see how everything unfolded after round 4.

Not yet. We are in the 12th round, so half way through. If you must know the theme so far is...I am killing it.

And apparently, alot of alcohol is being consumed and effecting peoples perceptions

And apparently, alot of alcohol is being consumed and effecting peoples perceptions

LOL CJF! The draft has been a lot of waiting around, followed by a flurry of activity, followed by waiting around. I see the pros and cons in a longer draft though, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

EDIT: My favorite comment has to be Bonk Bonk's diatribe after his pick @ 4.05

EDIT: My favorite comment has to be Bonk Bonk's diatribe after his pick @ 4.05

Thats gotta be the Helu pick :dunno:

Not yet. We are in the 12th round, so half way through. If you must know the theme so far is...I am killing it.

I wanted to bust on it team but I like it. Except the garcon pick