Sign in to follow this  
Striker99

Fred Jackson

Can we discuss Buffalo's situation!? ESPN.com reports that the Bills said they have a better plan for tailback C.J. Spiller this season. He was mostly ignored as a running back until starter Fred Jackson was put on injured reserve with a broken leg. But Spiller, a former first-round pick, is getting more carries in practice and looks sharp heading into his third season. The report says "expect Spiller to get more carries this season, but it's still going to be a major challenge taking Jackson off the field.

Can we discuss Buffalo's situation!? ESPN.com reports that the Bills said they have a better plan for tailback C.J. Spiller this season. He was mostly ignored as a running back until starter Fred Jackson was put on injured reserve with a broken leg. But Spiller, a former first-round pick, is getting more carries in practice and looks sharp heading into his third season. The report says "expect Spiller to get more carries this season, but it's still going to be a major challenge taking Jackson off the field.

I think Jackson will have a very good year. He was having a top 5 season last year before the injury. The Bills signed Jackson to a new contract in the spring so I think they are planning on using him as the main back. I have read where Spiller will line up in the same back field. I hope I am right since Jackson is my keeper this season.

Fred Jackson was a beast last year before getting hurt, but he's 31 years old. Granted he doesn't have as much wear and tear as your typical 31 year old RB, but I'm still steering clear of him.

I am tempted to see if he has the same juice left in the tank as last year. Plus the injury was not to a ligament, if i remember it right and just a bone break. Those should heal without an issue specially if its a clean break. Dont think 31 is an issue until i see it. You miss out on plenty of redraft upside to an aging veteran who still have something left. Remember we are not talking dynasty or keeper here.

Also, i see about 230 touches for him if he stays healthy.

Also spiller probably provides just as much upside since the light went on for him. And who knows , he might even have higher upside.

So if he falls to me in the 4th, ill take him. 3rd too high. I am sure i can find a Demayrius Thomas tier receiver around that ADP.

I am tempted to see if he has the same juice left in the tank as last year. Plus the injury was not to a ligament, if i remember it right and just a bone break. Those should heal without an issue specially if its a clean break. Dont think 31 is an issue until i see it. You miss out on plenty of redraft upside to an aging veteran who still have something left. Remember we are not talking dynasty or keeper here.

Also, i see about 230 touches for him if he stays healthy.

Also spiller probably provides just as much upside since the light went on for him. And who knows , he might even have higher upside.

So if he falls to me in the 4th, ill take him. 3rd too high. I am sure i can find a Demayrius Thomas tier receiver around that ADP.

You know, I gotta admit, he looked fantastic last year. Wasnt he leading the league in rushing at one point before he went down?

Either way, I normally shy away from 30+ but he does have low mileage. But with guys like this, he's less likely to fade out and more likely to get hurt. If you can get Spiller on the cheap as a handcuff, it may not be a bad idea. Then if something goes, you have a little insurance.

I took him in the 4th round of a 12 teamer recently - ahead of the likes of Redman, BJGE, Bush, etc.

I took him in the 4th round of a 12 teamer recently - ahead of the likes of Redman, BJGE, Bush, etc.

Fourth round is nice value, but doesn't he typically go in the third?

I am all in on Spiller. He is the second fastest RB in the league behind CJ2K. He ran a 4.27 40 yd dash at the combine. Well I am actually not sure if it was the combine but he is listed at 4.27. In another thread someone said they saw 4.34 but that person was wrong. After his rookie year everyone had pretty much given up on him. Last year was only his second year in the league. The Bills took him so high because they saw the upside he brings. He is my RB1 this year in our dynasty league with Turner as my RB2.

Unfortunately his value is a bit limited with grandpa FJax getting a new shiny contract. If FJax goes down expect top 10 RB production from Spiller, something very similar to what FJax was putting up before his injury.

I am all in on Spiller. He is the second fastest RB in the league behind CJ2K. He ran a 4.27 40 yd dash at the combine. Well I am actually not sure if it was the combine but he is listed at 4.27. In another thread someone said they saw 4.34 but that person was wrong. After his rookie year everyone had pretty much given up on him. Last year was only his second year in the league. The Bills took him so high because they saw the upside he brings. He is my RB1 this year in our dynasty league with Turner as my RB2.

Unfortunately his value is a bit limited with grandpa FJax getting a new shiny contract. If FJax goes down expect top 10 RB production from Spiller, something very similar to what FJax was putting up before his injury.

This type of player typically take a year or two longer before becoming a productive NFL Back.

Case in point: Ray Rice, Tiki Barber, even MJD didnt get huge numbers until his 4th year as a pro. All are sort of smallish, super fast pass catching RB's.

I think it's something about these super fast guys... it takes them a couple years for players who have relied only on speed in the past to learn to follow their blocks and use the burst at key times.

I am a Clemson grad so take this FWIW:

Spiller was an absolute cyborg for us at clem. May not have a faster 40 than CJ2K but I guarantee his acceleration is faster in 5-10 yd bursts. While he had solid Fr and So years it wasn't until his Jr year that the light truly came on. I am high on him this year after seeing what he did in Jackson's absence. He has never been hurt other than turf toe and his character is top notch. You won't read about an off field issue with him ever. Regardless of Jackson's mileage he is still old. CJ is take all day long IMHO. I think preseason will prove this.

This is starting to change my mind I must say:

CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist Clark Judge reports that Bills running back Fred Jackson "is the best running back not on the national radar." Judge writes that "Jackson is everything you want from a running back, with one NFL assistant telling me that he reminds him of Marcus Allen because 'he glides more than he runs, and he sees everything.'" Jackson said he would rank himself "in the top five" of running backs this year. A year ago he was on track to run for nearly 1,600 yards before his season was cut short by a broken leg. At the time, he was third in the league in rushing, second in yards from scrimmage en route to a breakout year that included six 100-yard performances and an average of 5.5 yards per carry. "He's the best player we have on offense," said quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. "He's a three-down back who, obviously, is great with the ball in his hands, has great hands in terms of the passing game and who is probably the best blocking running back in the league, in terms of pass protection and chips. So he's a complete player. "

I think that if there is one team that you have to have a handcuff, this is it.

My goal is to get at least one of these guys. Ideally,i want both.

At the end of the year, those championship team posts are going to reference these guys.

Like Spiller's potential this year, especially because of his receiving talents, but I think this is still at least 60/40 Freddo. Bills should be a little less porous on d this year with front seven improvements, but I'm not sure how often they'll run. They were under 400 carries last year, and 56 of those were Fitzpatrick, 20 Brad Smith, and so on. Probably 220ish for Jackson, 120ish for Spiller.

Like Spiller's potential this year, especially because of his receiving talents, but I think this is still at least 60/40 Freddo. Bills should be a little less porous on d this year with front seven improvements, but I'm not sure how often they'll run. They were under 400 carries last year, and 56 of those were Fitzpatrick, 20 Brad Smith, and so on. Probably 220ish for Jackson, 120ish for Spiller.

I understand them wanting to give more touches to Fred. I really hope they fully realize the potential in Spiller though. He is a threat for a home run every time touches the ball. The more touches you give this guy the more you are maximizing production on the field. If he does only receive 120 rushes this year I expect many many receptions.

Fred is someone I've been targeting in rounds 3/4. Take into consideration that outside of 10 guys there really isn't anyone that is going to carry the load for their team. Of the guys that will give away a few carries to their counterparts, I'll take Fred all day. He is an under appreciated stud. I still think he gets at least 15 carries a game and the goal line work. Of course I wish they would trade Fred cuz I have spiller on my dynasty team.

I think one of these guys is going to have a good season. I always lean toward the talent, but I could also see Jackson just keeping the ball all season. You have to assume the team is going to give Spiller more touches.

Chan Gailey knows how to run an NFL offense, so there will be some fantasy nuggets on that team. (Even if they don't win many games.)