Sign in to follow this  
Franknbeans

Ben Tate's ADP

Ben Tate went 7.1 in a 12 teamer...by me, the Foster owner, for insurance. However, I do think that is about right to be honest.

if tate isn't gone by the 6th... i would draft him even if i weren't the foster owner... guy puts up stats even when he isn't starting... worse case scenario you could offer a trade to said foster owner...

best case... foster misses some time and you are holding the golden ticket... not many RBs with that kind of value in the 7th

Our draft was last night (12 team flex) and I got Tate in rd 8 (91 st pick). I felt like it was great value. I was not fortunate enough to get Foster though.

"Tate puts up stats even when he's not starting" is actually a fallacy. I ran the numbers in a post on another board, and in the 11 games he and Foster both played last year, he only topped 4.1 fantasy points 4 times. He had 5 games under 3 points. He also caught just 4 passes in those 11 games; he's a two-down backup who may see 6-8 carries, except in huge blowouts.

Ben Tate is a plus-handcuff, but little more. I would take him no higher than RB50 or so, and that's even in leagues where I own Foster.

"Tate puts up stats even when he's not starting" is actually a fallacy. I ran the numbers in a post on another board, and in the 11 games he and Foster both played last year, he only topped 4.1 fantasy points 4 times. He had 5 games under 3 points. He also caught just 4 passes in those 11 games; he's a two-down backup who may see 6-8 carries, except in huge blowouts.

Ben Tate is a plus-handcuff, but little more. I would take him no higher than RB50 or so, and that's even in leagues where I own Foster.

This, I enjoy people reaching on Tate though.

RB50 is way too low. You're valuing him at the same level as David Wilson/Isiah Pead/Ronnie Hillman/Taiwan Jones which is hilarious. Those guys each need an injury to the starter to be relevant and they've shown nothing at the pro level. Aside from the CAR backs and Michael Bush, there is no other handcuff that will produce top 10 numbers if the #1 goes down.

I think non-Foster owners are driving the price up as they see him as more than a handcuff. They think he's a viable flex, which is too funny. If I didn't go through the injuries with Foster last year, I'd sit back and let those guys snag him 3 rounds before he should go. But having gone through 2011 with both Foster and Tate, I know the value in securing top 10 insurance. ~RB30 for Tate owners is a fair price.

I'm a Foster owner and took him at #60. Steep price for a 'cuff, but gotta do it.

You should have taken him at #61..... :wave:

Wilson is actually RB40 on FFC. I think he has potential this year even without an injury. Around RB50, I would certainly rather take Pierre Thomas or Shane Vereen, who will catch passes and see more opportunities. I also much prefer Quizz, who's going in the 40s. Basically, I'm looking for guys who'll contribute in some fashion regardless of injury, simply because grabbing cuffs and hoping for someone to get hurt is a less reliable use of draft picks--especially when that handcuff role applies to.the utility guys, too. Other people may prefer to load up on lottery tickets.

The exception might be in a 10-team league, if I had Foster. In smaller leagues it's so important to have big guns at every position that I could justify backing up a first round RB.

if you've drafted, of course :bench:

I got him in the eighth round non PPR. I dont have Foster and was surprised he was not locked the round before. Jordy Nelson was my ninth round pick so I had no pick in the 9th..I came back in the 10th round and snagged Rashad Jennings..Hoping to hit paydirt with one of these two quality backups.

Ben Tate went 7.1 in a 12 teamer...by me, the Foster owner, for insurance. However, I do think that is about right to be honest.

I believe you were smart to get him there..It reminded me of years ago when Larry Johnson sat there on the board and the Priest Holmes owner waited too long and got burned..nice selection.

I would never draft him until I am comfortable with my starting lineup and the depth of my team (9th or 10th round at the earliest). He is a HANDCUFF. Yes, he might be the best one out there, but I'm not paying a 7th round price tag (or more) for a guy who will be on my bench unless Arian Foster gets hurt. He's only slightly more valuable than other handcuffs because he has shown the ability to step right in as a RB1 if the starter ahead of him gets hurt. BUT you still are banking on someone getting hurt. There are other RB's out there with greater opportunity to unseat the starter or get consistent touches than Ben Tate in my opinion.

Even as a Foster owner, you are drafting Foster #1 because you think he is the top player in all of fantasy. Well taking Tate may give you some "insurance," but you don't want Foster to get hurt, and you are using a pretty high pick just to secure his backup. I'm not saying I would avoid him, but I think a 7th round pick is a little high when I could be grabbing my QB1, TE1, or WR3/flex depending how the first 6 rounds played out.

I traded for Tate to back up Foster. Didn't give up much (#12 rookie draft pick). I could have lost the championship last year when Foster sat out week 17. Tate's a pretty valuable handcuff.

We all talk about these players as if in a vaccuum. The fact is we play in different leagues under different circumstances and so our preceptions of players are necessarily different. The OP asked where he thought Tate should go....I'd say as a straight handcuff....somewhere in the 12th/13th rounds. But that's not where he's going and it all has to do with folks reading crap on the innnerwebs about how Tate can be used as a Flex. ESPN ran a story about Tate significantly cutting into Foster's workload and could be drafted as early as the 5th. The rationale behind this advice was that the HOU coaching staff will have had a full offseason to look at Tate, watch tape and determine he was just too good to keep on the sideline. As if his performance in live game action last year wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

So people buy into this crap and drive Tate's price up. As soon as I selected Tate, another owner sighed as if he were targeting him and stated I could start Tate as a flex. Whatever dude. Any Foster owner knows Foster is the guy. There's no committee. There's no real threat to Foster except injury. Tate will spell him and take garbage time.....like every other backup RB does in the league. But other owners perceive him as a possible weekly starter or a lotery ticket.....which he is in the 12th, not the 7th. So his value is inflated. As a Foster owner in a 10 teamer, it is imperative to cover all your bases. Most rosters are loaded. If Foster misses time, I'm basically screwed. I'm not a big proponent of 'cuffing as I think it's really a wasted roster spot. But Tate along with Michael Bush and the CAR RBs will put up top 10 numbers if something happened to their backfield mate. Can't really say that about anyone else. The difference between Tate and those other guys is that those other backs already have a defined weekly role on the team. Tate is purely a backup and will be used more situationally. But in a 10 team league, with an 8 man bench, I feel I have enough space to stash Tate just in case. If I played in a 12-14 team league, I'm not sure I would place such a premium on Tate as it would compromise my starting roster much more significantly. It just depends on the specifics of your league. :dunno:

He went 8.10 in our 12 team draft. To a non-Foster owner. Redraft league. DeAngelo Williams and Ryan Williams were still available. I would have rather grabbed either of those two in a redraft league unless your league is 8 teams and you need to swing for the fences.

Well, I got him at 10.05 in the IBL league, a good round or two later than the other 7 drafts. At the very least, I think he represents great trade bait to upgrade my team elsewhere. At the most, Foster gets hurt and I have a bonafide stud. :bandana:

He went 8.10 in our 12 team draft. To a non-Foster owner. Redraft league. DeAngelo Williams and Ryan Williams were still available. I would have rather grabbed either of those two in a redraft league unless your league is 8 teams and you need to swing for the fences.

The thing is, for the cost of a WR3, you might have a guy that turns into a top-5 RB that wins your championship. Sure, it's a lottery ticket - but someone's gonna buy it.