Sign in to follow this  
jared7683

I just drafted..

Ok, so I drafted a little different this year. I've always been the go with the flow guy, taking skill position players early and often, and waiting for a QB to "fall" to me in later rounds. I've gotten lucky w/ Cutler in his Denver days, Cam Newton last year, and Rodgers when he first started...but, never had I ever taken a QB before the 4th or 5th rounds. I took Brees at #5 overall, due to a "last minute rule change", that bumped up QB passing TD points from 4 to 6. I'll lay out the rest of my draft and let me have it...

12 Team PPR Redraft - Picking #5 in a snake draft - Other than PPR and 6 points for passing TDs, nothing really "out of the normal"

Here is my draft, along w/ notes on what I was thinking at the time.

We start 1 QB, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 DEF, 1 K

1st - Drew Brees - QB - Saints (Rodgers went first, then Arian Foster, then Megatron, then Ray Rice...so for me, it was Brees or Brady...I flipped a coin)

2nd - Run DMC - RB - Raiders (So, there was a small run on RBs, but I'll take McFadden in the 2nd round, who I think, could very easily be the #1 RB in fantasy if he stays on the field this year)

3rd - Hakeem Nicks - WR - Giants (Not a huge Nicks fan, but the kid has talent. He was the last of the "true" WR1 options left on the table)

4th - Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers (ok, C'mon, HUGE talent and HUGE upside for the 4th round. I know he has the brittle bones tag on him now, but I'm banking on him staying healthy)

5th - Dwayne Bowe - WR - Chiefs (He's young, and only 2 years removed from a 15 TD campaign, and he was tearing it up before Cassel went down with injury last season. Look for a bounce back year)

6th - Antonio Brown - WR - Steelers (Here is my current flex starter. He's a playmaker...period. When Wallace reports, it will only help the situation.)

7th - Cedric Benson - RB - Packers (I'm hoping he keeps up this "I'll show you" attitude he has. A true workhorse in an explosive offense...and he's my RB3? No brainer here for me)

8th - Kenny Britt - WR - Titans (Potential WR1 in the 8th? Sensing a trend? A lot of high risk, high reward players? I drafted differently this year..Not a huge money league, so I could afford to gamble..why not?)

9th - Jacob Tamme - TE - Broncos (Ok, I may have slipped in this department, but the league went on a crazy TE run in the 1st - 3rd rounds...Everyone was gobble up..Hopefully him and Manning connect like a couple years ago...)

10th - Andrew Luck - QB - Colts (Kind of fun to have him on my roster...Need him only one week for when Brees needs a break from dismantling the league)

11th - David Wilson - RB - Giants (High upside here...Explosive back, on an explosive offense, backing up an injury waiting to happen RB..I'll take it)

12th, 13th, 14th, 15th - Took Rashard Mendenhall, Rashad Jennings, Jets D, and Nate Kaeding

Like I wrote in one of my notes, I took some chances on players this year. It's not a "huge" money league this season, so why not ? I picked some players that I think are going to explode, plus, I just plain love to watch!!!!

Ok, so I drafted a little different this year. I've always been the go with the flow guy, taking skill position players early and often, and waiting for a QB to "fall" to me in later rounds. I've gotten lucky w/ Cutler in his Denver days, Cam Newton last year, and Rodgers when he first started...but, never had I ever taken a QB before the 4th or 5th rounds. I took Brees at #5 overall, due to a "last minute rule change", that bumped up QB passing TD points from 4 to 6. I'll lay out the rest of my draft and let me have it...

12 Team PPR Redraft - Picking #5 in a snake draft - Other than PPR and 6 points for passing TDs, nothing really "out of the normal"

Here is my draft, along w/ notes on what I was thinking at the time.

We start 1 QB, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 DEF, 1 K

1st - Drew Brees - QB - Saints (Rodgers went first, then Arian Foster, then Megatron, then Ray Rice...so for me, it was Brees or Brady...I flipped a coin)

2nd - Run DMC - RB - Raiders (So, there was a small run on RBs, but I'll take McFadden in the 2nd round, who I think, could very easily be the #1 RB in fantasy if he stays on the field this year)

3rd - Hakeem Nicks - WR - Giants (Not a huge Nicks fan, but the kid has talent. He was the last of the "true" WR1 options left on the table)

4th - Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers (ok, C'mon, HUGE talent and HUGE upside for the 4th round. I know he has the brittle bones tag on him now, but I'm banking on him staying healthy)

5th - Dwayne Bowe - WR - Chiefs (He's young, and only 2 years removed from a 15 TD campaign, and he was tearing it up before Cassel went down with injury last season. Look for a bounce back year)

6th - Antonio Brown - WR - Steelers (Here is my current flex starter. He's a playmaker...period. When Wallace reports, it will only help the situation.)

7th - Cedric Benson - RB - Packers (I'm hoping he keeps up this "I'll show you" attitude he has. A true workhorse in an explosive offense...and he's my RB3? No brainer here for me)

8th - Kenny Britt - WR - Titans (Potential WR1 in the 8th? Sensing a trend? A lot of high risk, high reward players? I drafted differently this year..Not a huge money league, so I could afford to gamble..why not?)

9th - Jacob Tamme - TE - Broncos (Ok, I may have slipped in this department, but the league went on a crazy TE run in the 1st - 3rd rounds...Everyone was gobble up..Hopefully him and Manning connect like a couple years ago...)

10th - Andrew Luck - QB - Colts (Kind of fun to have him on my roster...Need him only one week for when Brees needs a break from dismantling the league)

11th - David Wilson - RB - Giants (High upside here...Explosive back, on an explosive offense, backing up an injury waiting to happen RB..I'll take it)

12th, 13th, 14th, 15th - Took Rashard Mendenhall, Rashad Jennings, Jets D, and Nate Kaeding

Like I wrote in one of my notes, I took some chances on players this year. It's not a "huge" money league this season, so why not ? I picked some players that I think are going to explode, plus, I just plain love to watch!!!!

If you can get your 2nd-4th rounders to coordinate their injuries correctly you'll be alright. Atleast you don't have to worry about 14/15th of your team getting arrested/suspended. Britt has the cops and commish on lockdown.

Love Antonio in the 6th. Surprised he was still there. You have some question marks as far as injuries go, but who doesn't. The only way to stay healthy is to choose backups. :) Your potential is through the roof (McFadden!!). I would be thrilled with this team in my 12 team money league.

I like it. Solid for a 12 team league.

However, if anything happens to DMC or Mathews, your lack of RB depth will hurt. Benson doesn't catch, shares time, and GB is a passing team. You're kinda rolling the injury dice with 2 RBs known for injuries.

:ninja:

Not bad overall, but I would have taken Shady McCoy with the first pick. Top RBs still rule, even in a PPR. And his receptions (48 last year) help his value.

A lot of risk and upside on that team. A guy in my league took DMC and Matthews. You guys could look like fools or geniuses, possibly from week to week. Nicks is pretty brittle too.

If you catch some luck in the health department you could have a very nice year.

I love the Jennings pick. He can really help float you while waiting for Matthews and Mendenhall to return to form.

I would have gone McCoy or Brady with my 1st pick.

McFadden toward the end of the 2nd and Mathews towards the end of the 4th? Rashard in the 13th? Who do you play with? Let me know when there's a slot open. You're stealing their $. Solid team

A lot of risk and upside on that team. A guy in my league took DMC and Matthews. You guys could look like fools or geniuses, possibly from week to week.

A person in my league took both of them as well. Except he took them with the 12th and 13th picks of the draft. He seemed pumped about it and I straight up told him that was ballsy taking the two most injury prone RB's in the league. I told him he should have paired DMC with a more consistent RB like Forte cause if they both go down he's screwed. He kind of made a face like this :unsure:

Not to mention if he didnt draft Mathews there, I'm pretty sure no ones was touching him until at least the 3rd round. Total reach and dumb move IMO.

But Jared at least you got Mathews in the 4th, and there he is a good value pick.

McFadden toward the end of the 2nd and Mathews towards the end of the 4th? Rashard in the 13th? Who do you play with? Let me know when there's a slot open. You're stealing their $. Solid team

I also love David Wilson that late. I think that kid has HUGE upside.. may not be unlike when Bradshaw himself emerged a few seasons ago.

Thanks also guys for the Rashad Jennings, early, to cover for convalescing RBs. I'm a little late to the prep this year and that's a really good idea, if I can get him fairly late. He could keep the seat warm for several mid level RBs on the mend in the early part of the season.

Thank you all for your opinions and insight. I know I went very risky with most of my picks, but I haven't won my league in 3 years, so I wanted to shake things up. I wanted to draft guys with major upside, plus guys that I want to watch on tv..kinda lame reason I know.

I think you've got a solid starting team, but a little shallow at RB. I for one love Mathews and I am ecstatic that the injury occured because I think a guy like Mathews in the 4th is the way you win your league. There isn't a chance in hell that he falls without that injury. Sure he has risk, but what the hell, you play to win the game not to field a healthy team. I've taken that risk in 3 out of my 4 drafts, so I will go as Mathews goes this year. :thumbsup: