Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Washington Defense

My Rams will be without 3 starters on the offensive line this weekend. Saffold, Wells and our rookie RG are all out. The Redksins will be blitzing Bradford all game and I will be amazed if Steven Jackson has room to get back to the line of scrimmage.

I am starting Washington with supreme confidence as my Defense this weekend. Anyone should be able to pick them up as they went undrafted in every league I'm in. I got them on the waiver wire. Excellent opportunity for one week.

Is Wayne Hunter starting at RT because if he is, you guys are going to be in SERIOUS trouble?!?!

Is Wayne Hunter starting at RT because if he is, you guys are going to be in SERIOUS trouble?!?!

Yes, he is. To make it worse, he will be playing next to an undrafted RG. Our LT is out too as it our Center. The line will certainly be the worst in the NFL this weekend. I don't include Hunter as being "new" to the line, although a case can be made that we will have 4 new starters instead of 3.

I really feel sorry for Bradford. He already looks scared behind our line. The Rams have done him no favors. I've never seen a QB so highly touted, then thrown behind the worst line in the NFL for 3 straight years and we've given him no help at all at WR or TE.

Good post. I've already decided to bench Jackson because of this; I think I'll go all in and grab the Redskins in the two leagues I have the Bills. :thumbsup:

I hope Bradford doesn't turn out to be a David Carr. Getting hit repeatedly will give any QB happy feet.

The redskins are my favorite team and hadn't even considered them when I was looking at defenses for this weekend. I went with Oakland vs Tannehills Dolphins over Cinncinatti vs Wedens Browns. I am tempted to drop Oakland for Washington now with this info though

Thanks Cara! I was already planning on benching SJax due to the line but I think I'll pick up the WAS defense in place of Philly this week.

Great info here. Thanks.

I play a wwdbc (waiver wire d by committee) in one redraft league most years and habe decent success with it playing the matchups. WAS already was one of my top options for this week without knowing the full state of the STL o line. Now with this info I feel better about them.

Thanks again, OP.

You are making me feel better about what I did.

I have Chicago D in two leagues. I didn't like starting them vs. GB so I picked up Washington. There wasn't much left on the WW. For some reason it seems people like to keep 2 Ds rostered. I basically just pulled Washington out of my ass as they seemed to be the best matchup available.

Now I feel good that there is actually some factual information to back this.

Per Rotoworld:

Rams LT Rodger Saffold (neck) was upgraded to full participation in Thursday's practice.

It looks like Saffold is ready to roll just five days after being carted off the field in Detroit. He should be in the starting lineup over Wayne Hunter against the Redskins. Sep 13 - 4:20 PM

Might not be quite as bad as the OP described, although Saffold could reinjure his neck at any time.

Convinced me. Went to my money league waiver wire, drop Vikings & picked up Redskins. We get a lot of negative points for yardage and Luck & the Colts may put up some yardage but still get some turnovers.I feel the "skins will keep the score fairly low,get after Bradford,force some turnovers & maybe even a defensive TD. Would love that. My other D is the Eagles at Baltimore which is why I didn't wanna play them. Sometimes the waiver wire on D's is the way to go.

My Rams will be without 3 starters on the offensive line this weekend. Saffold, Wells and our rookie RG are all out. The Redksins will be blitzing Bradford all game and I will be amazed if Steven Jackson has room to get back to the line of scrimmage.

I am starting Washington with supreme confidence as my Defense this weekend. Anyone should be able to pick them up as they went undrafted in every league I'm in. I got them on the waiver wire. Excellent opportunity for one week.

Since they drafted bradford, where is all the talent they have been drafting? I think any schmuck off the street could make some of these bad teams instantly better for the future by drafting the 2 best offensive linemen available at the picks. You have a potential franchise qb and the line is still this bad. Even if you draft offensive line heavy next year they will all be rookies and will require at least a year to be good. I drafted bradford in my dynasty league because i like his talent but i dont see a way that he isnt permanantly ruined from stupidity in the front office.

Good info Cara.

I had added them to start on Tuesday, just liked the matchup and not caring so much for the Seahawks matchup vs. Dallas. Dropped Buffalo in a must roster 2 D league. I like the chances that they come up BIG this Sunday.

As a DC native, I advise caution. Wash has only won 2 out of the last 5 vs the Rams most recently. Things may be different now with RG3 and the revamped team, but the Redskins seem to always play the Rams tight.

Convinced me. May look like a trap game but Shanny won't let that happen. Didn't want to play the Eagles,my other D, against Baltimore. I think the Redskins D will force some turnovers, get to Bradford some and keep the score low. Redskins beat the Rams 21-10. One of Washingtons scores come on an interception by DeAngelo Hall. He steps in front of Amendola on a short pass at the 20 and turns it into 6 points.

As a DC native, I advise caution. Wash has only won 2 out of the last 5 vs the Rams most recently. Things may be different now with RG3 and the revamped team, but the Redskins seem to always play the Rams tight.

And your point is?

We're talking Defense in this thread, not picking in a survivor pool.

Since they drafted bradford, where is all the talent they have been drafting? I think any schmuck off the street could make some of these bad teams instantly better for the future by drafting the 2 best offensive linemen available at the picks. You have a potential franchise qb and the line is still this bad. Even if you draft offensive line heavy next year they will all be rookies and will require at least a year to be good. I drafted bradford in my dynasty league because i like his talent but i dont see a way that he isnt permanantly ruined from stupidity in the front office.

This is how most of us in St. Louis feel. An eye opening stat was revealed by Peter King... We have 30 new players on our roster this season. Over 20 of the players from last season are no long in the NFL. Let that sink in.... How can any team have 40% of their roster out of the NFL after only one season? This is how poorly the team has been run the last 8 seasons. The Rams front office tried to make Mike Martz the fall guy, then did so with each coach since. You should hear how they bashed Spags after he was released. It wasn't his fault. He didn't control the draft. I do believe the new owner will turn things around, but not right away. All the sports teams he owns are pretty consistently in the playoffs. The Rams will be ok, but I do not believe Bradford will be the QB when it happens. If you watch him now, he looks so much like David Carr that it's scary. Last week he threw a couple horrible passes because he "thought" people were near him. They weren't. That's a horrible sign. Why we went with Brockers in round one over a top WR is something I'll never figure out. For that matter, why didn't we go offensive line early in the draft? I think, in time, our rookie WR's will contribute, but not in 2012. Our offensive line is pure garbage though.

For the person posting that Saffold may play on Sunday: Saffold isn't a top 25 Left Tackle. He isn't much better than Hunter. It's a sad state of affairs when we consider him the best lineman we have. Saffold may make a decent Guard someday, but he isn't a very good tackle. He will sprain something walking to the field. Wait and see.

I've been seriously considering WSH D myself. What's the situation with their safeties though? I think they've had a rash of injuries there.

As for STL, they blew it when they traded away the rights to draft RG3 for themselves. Bradford never showed me enough to have made me not take RG3 if I had been the GM there. I would've just taken RG3 and dangled Bradford for trade. Wouldn't have gotten 3 first round picks for him - but maybe a 2nd and would've had the far better franchise QB for the future.

The redskins are my favorite team and hadn't even considered them when I was looking at defenses for this weekend. I went with Oakland vs Tannehills Dolphins over Cinncinatti vs Wedens Browns. I am tempted to drop Oakland for Washington now with this info though

Bengals vs. CLE is my other option too. And they're at home.

WSH should get plenty of sacks against STL, but the game is on the road and STL may just run SJax a lot. I still like WSH D though. They'll be plenty rested the way WSH controls the clock with Alfred Morris.

This is how most of us in St. Louis feel. An eye opening stat was revealed by Peter King... We have 30 new players on our roster this season. Over 20 of the players from last season are no long in the NFL. Let that sink in.... How can any team have 40% of their roster out of the NFL after only one season? This is how poorly the team has been run the last 8 seasons. The Rams front office tried to make Mike Martz the fall guy, then did so with each coach since. You should hear how they bashed Spags after he was released. It wasn't his fault. He didn't control the draft. I do believe the new owner will turn things around, but not right away. All the sports teams he owns are pretty consistently in the playoffs. The Rams will be ok, but I do not believe Bradford will be the QB when it happens. If you watch him now, he looks so much like David Carr that it's scary. Last week he threw a couple horrible passes because he "thought" people were near him. They weren't. That's a horrible sign. Why we went with Brockers in round one over a top WR is something I'll never figure out. For that matter, why didn't we go offensive line early in the draft? I think, in time, our rookie WR's will contribute, but not in 2012. Our offensive line is pure garbage though.

For the person posting that Saffold may play on Sunday: Saffold isn't a top 25 Left Tackle. He isn't much better than Hunter. It's a sad state of affairs when we consider him the best lineman we have. Saffold may make a decent Guard someday, but he isn't a very good tackle. He will sprain something walking to the field. Wait and see.

I am curious what you think of the draft they had this year. I didn't pay attention to any specifics but I know they kept trading down. How are all of those picks looking so far? Do you think it was worth it to get a ton of picks or wish they would have just stuck with the one deal? Or do you wish you had RG3?

I agree with much of what you say. Regarding Saffold, he is nowhere near a top notch LT, but he is better than Hunter, and he showed promise as a rookie two years ago. Since you used Saffold's absence as justification in your OP, I thought an update of his status was warranted.

My point is not to be voted off the island, and to suggest that one should not be too quick to latch on to the Redskins defense after only one game. Many people did that with the Seattle and Buffalo defenses last week. I'm not saying don't do it, but if you have a better option, you might want to consider it.

And your point is?

We're talking Defense in this thread, not picking in a survivor pool.

Redskins D against STL with their broken offensive line

or

Patriots D against ARI?

both are available to me on waivers atm.

Redskins D @ STL with their broken offensive line

or

Patriots D @ KC?

Do you mean Patriots DEF hosting ARI or the Bills DEF hosting KC?

or

Patriots D against ARI?

I have the Pats in one league and plan to roll with them all year. Their schedule is awesome.

or

Patriots D against ARI?

I like PATS here too. I don't think I would change out for Skins, but both look good.

@frozenbeernuts

I liked the Rams draft, but they are all project players. Brockers will not be a superstar and was drafted to plug the middle. It usually takes DT's a couple years to adjust. Jenkins was the best CB in the draft and we got him in the second. I loved that pick. He has looked unebelievable in the preseason and week one. Chris Givens is a deep guy, but a guy who has struggled to hang on to the ball. I think Pead was a wasted draft pick and we could have taken a Guard/Center there. He is small, doesn't have good hands and has had a heck of a time adjusting to the NFL. In all, I would give them a 'B' for a grade. I do expect 3 or 4 of these guys to be good, but not great, NFL types. I'm confounded as to why they went in the direction they did though. I would have gone O-line in round one and again with the Pead pick. If Bradford remains upright, he's pretty solid.

My point is not to be voted off the island, and to suggest that one should not be too quick to latch on to the Redskins defense after only one game. Many people did that with the Seattle and Buffalo defenses last week. I'm not saying don't do it, but if you have a better option, you might want to consider it.

I warned you all. Yes a def td but not much more. The Redskins play down to the level of their opponet, even one with such stupid all blue uniforms.

I warned you all. Yes a def td but not much more. The Redskins play down to the level of their opponet, even one with such stupid all blue uniforms.

WTF? :lol:

Axe Elf? Are you back?

Cara, I am sure that you are thrilled with the Rams win.....but please tell me what went wrong with your prediction, particularly concerning the o-line and offensive production. I assume you watched the game.