Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

worst NFL team names

I'm a Texans fan and from Texas but I think someone could have been a little more creative with the team name. Still I think its better than...

the Dolphins - something kids want to pet at Sea World

the Colts - baby horses

the Browns - I'll let you use your imagination

Bigger question is why the Lions use "Honolulu Blue" ?

Guess Sherwin Williams didn't have a color pallet for urine, smog, vomit, & raw sewage?

:dunno:

Hate the team but love the "Patriots" team name.

Mark me down with Giants as most ridiculous team name. Thinks about it....Giants? Its a team name based on fairy tales

Browns by far.

Cardinals should pick a name that has something to do with the state or region.

Browns by far.

Cardinals should pick a name that has something to do with the state or region.

Surprisingly, there are a lot of Cardinals here. Although I completely agree that a new regional-centric name would be awesome. Won't happen until Bill Bidwill dies and Michael takes over though.

Packers. And it ain't close. Okay, maybe the Browns make it close. But not all that close.

Hate the team but love the "Patriots" team name.

I think Patriots is pretty lame, too.

Packers. And it ain't close. Okay, maybe the Browns make it close. But not all that close.

I think Patriots is pretty lame, too.

Anti American

I'm a Texans fan and from Texas but I think someone could have been a little more creative with the team name. Still I think its better than...

the Dolphins - something kids want to pet at Sea World

the Colts - baby horses

the Browns - I'll let you use your imagination

Colts are not really babies. Male horses are considered colts until age 4. So those 3 year olds running in the triple crown races are colts. Since one of those triple crown races for Colts takes place in Maryland where the original team played, it one time made more sense in a regional way than it does now.

The Browns were named after their owner/coach..and I would say it's among the worst names.

i know why the browns are the browns but really it sets the team up for so many funny nicknames... shit related, brownies, etc

but why is their main color orange? :thumbsdown:

yeah Texans is pretty stupid but love the unis

gotta love when the Browns play the Packers :doh:

49ers is pretty stupid too, now that I think about it. But at least there's no Jazz in this league.

You don't seem to put much in having the team name represent the region in some way.

Patriots who fought in the revolution from New England where the revolution started.

49ers - the guys who rushed to the California goldrush and turned SF from a tiny little town into a booming city.

Both of those team names fit their region perfectly.

Surprisingly, there are a lot of Cardinals here. Although I completely agree that a new regional-centric name would be awesome. Won't happen until Bill Bidwill dies and Michael takes over though.

Something like Rattlers or Scorpions would work. :dunno:

I like both of those. :thumbsup:

If its the scorpions they can play "Rock You Like a Hurricane" at the stadium. :headbanger:

The Cardinals originally played in Chicago, and the state bird of Illinois is the cardinal. Still kind of a lame team name, but there is a regional connection.

Something like Rattlers or Scorpions would work. :dunno:

When the arena team announced they were the Rattlers, I thought "dayum that's what the Cards should have been." :(

Scorpions has been used in the area as well (ABA, soccer) but I think the Cards could co-opt that name if they were so inclined.

The Cardinals originally played in Chicago, and the state bird of Illinois is the cardinal. Still kind of a lame team name, but there is a regional connection.

yeah, but when was the last time you saw a cardinal in arizona. doesn't fit

I always thought Seahawks was a little lame, like spicing up the Seagulls

there actually is no bird called a Seahawk, although the name itself is kinda cool. I dunno just wanted to throw a fact out there.

how bout the Jets???

named after a broadway gang in West side story, no wonder they are so fricking ghey

I also dont think there are many Jaguars in Jacksonville, as a matter of fact none

yeah, but when was the last time you saw a cardinal in arizona. doesn't fit

Haven't seen any raiders in Oakland, lions in Detroit, rams in St Louis, or bengals in Cincinnati either. In fact most NFL team names kinda suck.

You don't seem to put much in having the team name represent the region in some way.

Patriots who fought in the revolution from New England where the revolution started.

49ers - the guys who rushed to the California goldrush and turned SF from a tiny little town into a booming city.

Both of those team names fit their region perfectly.

I find that pompous arseholes and pseudo-intellectual neohippie douchebags would be better regional representations for those respective areas. But I think those would suck as team names too.

Bears are good. Big, mean, growly, rolls off the tongue. 49er's? Not so much. And New English guys who say stuff like, "gosh, golly gee do I love my country and good ol' Glenn Beck?" Also not so much.

Lions are also good, on account of the growling.

Haven't seen any raiders in Oakland, lions in Detroit, rams in St Louis, or bengals in Cincinnati either. In fact most NFL team names kinda suck.

I always thought that the Bengals were named after some famous tigers in their zoo; perhaps somebody knows or is not too lazy to google?

Also to Eddie Kennison: there are cardinals here, I already said that. I see them in my backyard all of the time in Phoenix. You should see the way they attack a bird feeder. Aggressive birds, those cardinals. :angry:

Panthers and Lions...

To my knowledge there are no Panthers in Carolina or Lions in Detroit.

I guess I could make the same argument for the Bears, Jaguars and Bengals as well.

Basically any team named after an animal that you have NO chance of seeing in that particular location.

Not that it will change your opinions on the name "Cardinals" but recall they originated in St. Louis, not Phoenix, AZ. They brought the named Cardinals with them from St. Louis.

Also, apparently the name didn't originate from the bird, per this:

"Contrary to popular logic, the team was not named after the beautiful bird but instead because the team played in used maroon jerseys the original team (in pre-NFL years) had purchased from the University of Chicago. When an observer scoffed that the jerseys were “faded red,” team owner Chris O’Brien countered that they weren’t “faded red,” they were “Cardinal red.”"

:themoreyouknow:

This whole regional identification idea if goofhattedness of a high order.

Give me a good, old-fashioned totem animal. Something the represents strength and ferocity and fur and teeth and an utter lack of concern for grooming habits. Bears, Bengals, Lions, Texans, that sort of thing.

How do we feel about Bankers? I think that would play well to people who like to jump on anti-popularity bandwagons. Love to hate, sort of thing. We could change Jets to that.

Browns is by far the worst but Redskins is right up there. Is like having a team be called the New York Jews or something like that.

I always thought Seahawks was a little lame, like spicing up the Seagulls

there actually is no bird called a Seahawk, although the name itself is kinda cool. I dunno just wanted to throw a fact out there.

not directly, but seahawk is a nickname for osprey

Lets not over analyze this guys... Animals make for cool team logos and are part of a tradition the NFL has become in each of our households. If we really wanted to identify team names with the city they play in it would go something like this...

The Detroit Unemployment, Cleveland Clouds, Seattle Sleet, Miami Drug Dealers, Oakland Criminals, Or Baltimore Blacks.

Not so catchy or appealing... On a side note, I have been in Baltimore a handful of times and I think the ratio of black to white people is about 8:1

Not a problem of course, just an observation.

Lets not over analyze this guys... Animals make for cool team logos and are part of a tradition the NFL has become in each of our households. If we really wanted to identify team names with the city they play in it would go something like this...

The Detroit Unemployment, Cleveland Clouds, Seattle Sleet, Miami Drug Dealers, Oakland Criminals, Or Baltimore Blacks.

Not so catchy or appealing... On a side note, I have been in Baltimore a handful of times and I think the ratio of black to white people is about 8:1

Not a problem of course, just an observation.

The Cleveland Clouds?

The Cleveland Clouds?

Yes... Anyone from NE Ohio will tell you that there is a consistent cloud cover over the city always with a chance of rain.

Yes... Anyone from NE Ohio will tell you that there is a consistent cloud cover over the city always with a chance of rain.

Not sure this is what Cleveland is known for, exactly.

noaa.gov confirms 202 cloudy days per year in Cleveland, which is, in fact, pretty high.

Pittsburgh has 203. At some point, this sort of thing has to really piss Clevelanders off.

noaa.gov confirms 202 cloudy days per year in Cleveland, which is, in fact, pretty high.

Pittsburgh has 203. At some point, this sort of thing has to really piss Clevelanders off.

Agreed. They can't even win a battle of shiottiest weather. :(

Hence why they should've used some common sense and changed the focking team name. When it was announced St. Louis was moving to Phoenix, "Firebirds" was perfect. Hot weather, team born again, etc, etc. Plus, they had the right color scheme. The owners of that franchise have been on the cheap for so many years, it's laughable. Best thing(s) they ever did in AZ was: 1. Draft Fitz. 2. Sign Warner 3. Logo on the back of the jersey above the nameplate. :doublethumbsup: