Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Best Actor of the last 25 years?

I would make a poll here or even a List But I can't think of even 1 person in the same league at Daniel Day-Lewis. Thats why he'snot in many movies and people have to almost beg him on bended knee to take the role he is that good.

As far as American Actors Theres the Italian trio Al, Rob , and Leo -- I really thought Jim Cavaziel could have been a great actor if not shunned just when his career was taking off for doing Passion of the Christ. Sad really how Hhollywood would shun the man for doing one of the most successful movies worldwide ever! Were they pissed he did it or pissed he did it better than anyone before him LOL

I really thought Jim Cavaziel could have been a great actor if not shunned just when his career was taking off for doing Passion of the Christ.

You types are really focking out there.

Good list but where's Will Smith :dunno:

Daniel Day-Lewis is a great choice.

Leonardo DiCaprio must be considered as well.

Really not too many other choices. Johnny Depp, maybe if he didn't keep doing the same role over and over in Tim Burton films. Brad Pitt was possibly headed in that direction but it seems like he's been languishing a bit for a few years now (I blame that succubus Angelina Jolie). Philip Seymour Hoffman is more interested in directing plays.

Kevin Spacey has had some good roles but some real duds too. Edward Norton is another guy who started out with a lot of promise but really lost some steam over the past ten years.

Will Smith--you're kidding, right?

Many if not most of the best actors of the past 25 years are character actors who don't typically get leading roles. So I'll submit Gary Oldman. Any guy who can play Sid Vicious, Dracula and Commissioner Gordon is IMO pretty focking great.

Really not too many other choices. Johnny Depp, maybe if he didn't keep doing the same role over and over in Tim Burton films. Brad Pitt was possibly headed in that direction but it seems like he's been languishing a bit for a few years now (I blame that succubus Angelina Jolie). Philip Seymour Hoffman is more interested in directing plays.

Kevin Spacey has had some good roles but some real duds too. Edward Norton is another guy who started out with a lot of promise but really lost some steam over the past ten years.

We agree on something WOW lol. I would say Daniel Day-Lewis with Leo as #2

I would almost bet 10K DDL either wins a Oscar for Lincoln or at least nominated

Fock, this is pretty spot on.. DiCaprio has really come into his own, although, that J. Edgar travesty was horrendous.

Morgan Freeman can narrate anything. I have a not so secret man-crush on Daniel Craig and Denzel can rarely do wrong as far as I'm concerned.

MDC is also spot on with Oldman, he's pretty money in non-leading roles.

Many if not most of the best actors of the past 25 years are character actors who don't typically get leading roles. So I'll submit Gary Oldman. Any guy who can play Sid Vicious, Dracula and Commissioner Gordon is IMO pretty focking great.

:thumbsup:

You forgot Zorg from the Fifth Element :banana:

Christopher Walken is up there. So many good characters. Deer Hunter, King of New York, Sleepy Hollow, Prophecy, At Close Range, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Joe Dirt!

Deniro, Pacino and nicholson are my all time favorites but a lot of their best work was over 25 years ago.

I agree Daniel day Lewis is the best today. I like Leo but I put him about equal with Depp. I like Russell Crowe and Christian Bale above those two though.

If you factor his self-limiting physicality into the equation, Philip Seymour Hoffman has exceptional range considering. Raw talent wise I have to go with him.

eta: checked out the list. Forest Whitaker is amazingly natural. Maybe 90% matches Hoffman's talent, and he just has a naturally captivating presence at the same time. With Chris Cooper, I think it's mostly the power of his presence- the strongest one on the list in that regard (for me), and then he's a decent actor.

Christopher Walken is up there. So many good characters. Deer Hunter, King of New York, Sleepy Hollow, Prophecy, At Close Range, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Joe Dirt!

You forgot Balls of Fury.

I don't get DiCaprio; I just don't think he is that special. Also I don't think DeNiro is #1; he has been playing similar roles for a long time.

When I saw the thread title, I thought Spacey.

I don't get DiCaprio; I just don't think he is that special. Also I don't think DeNiro is #1; he has been playing similar roles for a long time.

When I saw the thread title, I thought Spacey.

His role in Blood Diamond really changed my mind about him.

His role in Blood Diamond really changed my mind about him.

He's great in Catch Me If You Can and Aviator too. If this thread was the last 15 years... he would be #1 for me.

Daniel Day Lewis? Really?

I had to Google him because I really had no idea who he was. Realized I have never seen any of the movies he's been in, with the exception of The Bounty.

I guess I'm missing out.

:dunno:

Trying to decipher my own thoughts between who I think is a good actor and one I just like to watch is tough. Spacey for sure is up there. I also love Denzel Washington, though I still haven't seen his "train" movie for obvious reasons.

I had to Google him because I really had no idea who he was. Realized I have never seen any of the movies he's been in, with the exception of The Bounty.

I guess I'm missing out.

In the name of the Father , Gangs of New York , There will be Blood , Last of the Mohicans , and now Lincoln --- among others he was nominated for. He doesn't take very many roles at all - it either has to be soemthing he really wants to do or some real groveling to get him to do a role. Almost all his movies lately he is Oscar nominated as he will be be for "Lincoln".

If you go by sheer volume -- then Robert Denerio is the man -- and he did have some great parts in Once upon a time in America , GF part II , Deer Hunter , Raging Bull I just think Lewis is the better actor as he can play anything and do it better than IMO anyone else.

I love how Leo is not taking just any movie he only takes now the good ones rather than get a fast pay check.

Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

He is up there I just think he is a a little limited and just not as good as DDL or Leo

In the name of the Father , Gangs of New York , There will be Blood , Last of the Mohicans , and now Lincoln --- among others he was nominated for. He doesn't take very many roles at all - it either has to be soemthing he really wants to do or some real groveling to get him to do a role. Almost all his movies lately he is Oscar nominated as he will be be for "Lincoln".

You left out "My left foot" for which he won the academy award as best actor.

I guess I'm missing out.

He wins more awards than he does movies... One of those types

You left out "My left foot" for which he won the academy award as best actor.

Ironically the only film he wanted he was told no was the lead in Passion of the Christ ... Maybe Mel just didn't want to pay that price tag

IMO as far as range......i really think Robert Downey Jr is a tremendous actor as far as the roles he can play.

He can do comedy, he can play superhero, was great in the Soloist.

Some great actors on this thread....but some are kind of one trick ponies, pretty much play the same roles in different movies.

Admittedly havn't seen too much of DDL - suppose he is good. Give me Liam Neeson as someone I have seen and think is pretty good.

I know he's a bit of a douche and many do not agree with his politics but Sean Penn is in the conversation

I came on here to say tom hanks, but if I could list (not in this order)

Hanks

Daniel day-lewis

Liam neeson

Dicaprio

Morgan freeman

Denzel

Those guys are more or less money!

Matt Damon - Goodwill Hunting, Rounders and the first 3 Bourne movies :first:

Honorable Mention: Leo DiCaprio, Christian Bale

Matt Damon - Goodwill Hunting, Rounders and the first 3 Bourne movies :first:

Honorable Mention: Leo DiCaprio, Christian Bale

It seriously took this long to mention Matt focking Damon?!?!? He is top 3-4 on my list for sure.

This thread has been done a hundred times already.

Anthony Hopkins wins every time.

Mighta been Robert Shaw, had he lived longer.

I still say this is the greatordest monologue in American cinema history:

35 years ago.

Second place? Wait for it ....