Sign in to follow this  
FloydH

3-4 record with the highest total points scored?

I know its got to end but omg.. I have the highest points scored in my league and sitting 5th place at 3wins 4 losses.. I can't believe it.. My luck is just horrible. All 4 losses my opponent scored their season high and this week I have Foster on a bye.

Please Fantasy Football Gods what did I do?

Sorry, but I've got you beat. I'm 2-5, good for last place in my division, 2 games behind the last playoff spot...and I have 80 more points than the next-highest scoring team.

I am right there with you, just sitting a little better. 4-3, second in scoring, only like 20 behind the leader, but I have the highest points scored against. Even the weeks I have won, the teams exploded that I played.

I'd say one of the top 5 teams I've fielded in fantasy over 8 or so years. Sitting at 4-3, most points scored by about 120 for the next closest, with 4 weeks as the highest scorer (my only wins). My losses are at a combined total of 13 points this season, notching 2nd highest and 3rd highest scores (and one at 5th highest, which I accept as a defeat). I have either the top or top 5 guys at pretty much every position except WR (which is led by Brandon Marshall who I guess you can stick into top 5 right?--but harder to fill out WR2 and WR3 like that).

And I don't even know I'll make the playoffs. I could get on a bad run and be finished after all.

I started off 3-0, then proceeded to lose 4 straight. 2nd highest points yet always seem to draw the shortest straw (I'm only 22 pts behind leader who is 6-1). Who says there

isn't luck (or lack thereof) in FF?

Well, i'm at 8-6 after starting off 6-0 (play double headers) and currently sit about 3rd in total points. It don't really help when you put up 200 one week and 100 the following week. This week I scored 238 outscoring everyone in my league but the 2 teams I played this week! just dumb luck! lol :blink:

This is why head to head leagues are stupid. It is possible to construct two different schedules of the same teams in the same divisions, and end up with wildly different results.

This is why head to head leagues are stupid. It is possible to construct two different schedules of the same teams in the same divisions, and end up with wildly different results.

I wouldn't say it makes head to head leagues stupid but it's the point of frustration though.

A buddy in my work league has the highest points in our league & is in last place with a 1-4-2 record. Normally I enjoy razzing him but that is just brutal luck.

The cure for fantasy football bad luck

A high scoring owner in my ESPN League has this issue and suggested moving to this format. Hopefully the major fantasy football carriers will design a similar system starting next year.

MyFantasyLeague.com and RTSports.com have the option to use Victory Points.

For a 12 team league it works like this (kinda reminds me of hockey scoring for conference/division standings).

+ 2 points = Win

+ 2 points = 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in total points scored for the week

+ 1 point = 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th in total points scored for the week

zero points = Loss

zero points = 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th in total points scored

Well it depends on how badly you want to win. Sure I like winning, but primarily I play fantasy football to have fun, and stay interested in a lot of different football games. I play fantasy football because I like real football, not the other way around.

I've played the other formats, and they're boring. Fantasy football's head to head and weekly format are what make it interesting. But I also have always said it's mostly luck, and don't like paying much money to play (basically it's a steak dinner if you win, and in most of my leagues the winner just treats everyone so it's more a matter of pride--unless you're a total douche in which case you're not invited to the night out and future leagues).

Consistency should be very important in fantasy football as well. As someone above said, their team scores 200 one week and then 100 the next. That's not good, especially for head to head. Total points don't always tell the whole story. I think looking at consistency (depth to cover bye weeks, injuries, etc.) is more important than just looking at total points.

Now if you are the highest scoring team in your league and have put up scores such as 158, 150, 155, 148, 172, 163, 139 then I'd say it's pretty bad luck if you have a losing record right now. But if you are the highest scoring team in your league and have put up 210, 199, 121, 189, 107, 128, 131; then it doesn't surprise me if you are 3-4 right now. Both those teams are averaging 155 points, but I'd say the first team is much better and more consistent than the 2nd team.

Head to head is always going to have a luck factor involved because you can't control what the team you are playing against does. But I also don't think total points is the end all, be all of fantasy football. Just my opinion.

A high scoring owner in my ESPN League has a similar issue and suggested moving to this format. Hopefully the major fantasy football carriers will design a similar system starting next year.

Thanks to a member here some years ago our 12 man league opted to try something new based on his league and we wouldn't change anything now that we've switched to it.

League still plays h2h games each week and at seasons end a small cash prize is paid for best h2h record,the play-offs however(top 6) are determined by a weekly tier point system that works as follows.

High score=11 pts thru low score=0 pts.and these are added together week to week.Cannot tell you the excitement/ :wall: it creates every week when not only do you have to be concerned with how your h2h game is going but how the other 10 owners are doing as well and Monday nights can be twice as exciting as teams with players going are leapfrogging others etc.

For the most part the teams that do well h2h are still around the top,however,one owner in our league this season is sitting at 1-6 and yet is in 3rd place overall based on tier scoring.

I am in a 10 team league. I am the highest point scorer. I am 3-4.

There are 3 teams 5-2, two others that are 4-3. Thats five of the ten teams. Two teams beside mine are 3-4. Ahhh you think that means good ol' southcarolina and his highest scoring team must be king of the 3-4 teams and in 6th place.. Nope. First tie breaker is head to head results, and ive lost to both of the other 3-4 teams. So, i am the highest scoring team in a 10 team league, and ranked 8th below 5 teams with better records and two with identical records. In 3 of my 4 losses i played the team with the second highest score that week. Six teams make the playoffs, and im on the outside looking in.

Sometimes life is funny.

I know its got to end but omg.. I have the highest points scored in my league and sitting 5th place at 3wins 4 losses.. I can't believe it.. My luck is just horrible. All 4 losses my opponent scored their season high and this week I have Foster on a bye.

My situation is very similar to the OP's. 1st is pts scored but 3-4--sitting in 6th place out of 10.

Top point scorer... Tied for last place at 2-5...

I am pushing for either double headers or points based on wins and highest scorers next year. We need to take some of the "luck of the schedule" out of the equation while still maintaining head to head.

I have benefited from both sides so I can't complain. I sit at 1 win with 3rd most points scored and most points against in 1 league. I sit with 1 loss with 2nd most points scored and below average scored against. Its part of playing head to head leagues. You have to change the format or just be prepared to get screwed sometimes.

I'm all about H2H. Because its vindicating to come back with a team you know is gonna make the playoffs and spank all these lucky ass 5-2 teams. I do it every year in PPR. Your V6 mustang of a team may have gotten lucky a few weeks and gotten a shot of nos, but my Z06 is still king!

I'm in an IDP where I am currently 3rd in points, and sit at 3-4. I have three times played the highest scoring team of the week. Two of those times were against teams for whom that was well above their average.

My solace is in the fact that I am done playing the teams currently in the top 5 in scoring. 5 of my 7 games have been against them (I went 3-2 against those, btw). There is time to balance out.

And this league takes the highest scoring non-division winner as the first wild card in the playoffs. . . so at least there is a safeguard.

A high scoring owner in my ESPN League has this issue and suggested moving to this format. Hopefully the major fantasy football carriers will design a similar system starting next year.

For a 12 team league it works like this (kinda reminds me of hockey scoring for conference/division standings).

+ 2 points = Win

zero points = Loss

TY for this. If my league doesn't vote to approve this format, for next season, I will hold a press conference to announce my retirement from FF.

I'm currently 3-4, and 2nd in pts scored. I have not always faced my opponent's highest week (if not highest, 2nd highest) but I do get them when they score waaaaaayyyyy higher than their season avg. I lost this week, by 0.63, on Stafford's meaningless TD, with 40 sec left.

3 times I have outscored everyone in the league.....except the guy I was playing. Brutal.

+ 2 points = Win

zero points = Loss

Clever system, but then why play Head-To-Head at all in the first place?

And enough to some with the sob stories, no one really cares about your miserable life. As a matter of fact, I much rather here about the 5-2 guy who is in the bottom tier of total points in their league. Like poker, interesting how so many people have bad luck, but are never lucky. On the other hand, anyone with success does not acknowledge they are lucky but rather tell everyone how skilled they are and how they make all the right moves.

Agreed. To each his own. We haven't decided to move to this type of scoring yet, but found it interesting.

Looks like it weighs both head2head and high scoring success.

I'm near top and only got to .500 this week. But that's kind of the exciting part of ff, when u win a game scoring 79 and lose a game scoring 130. Its all about who I play and if their player has a once in a lifetime game just because he's playing u.

If everything was so cut and dry ffball wouldnt be much fun. When i have a team that isnt great by points standards but keeps winning i find it more exciting. I like winning above all else but its the journey you take with your team that holds the true value for fantasy football. Of course some may only do it for the money but i suspect those people are in the minority. If its not just about the money then so what.if you are truely good at this game then you should come out ahead more often than behind.

Thanks for this thread. We all have leagues that are THE league we care about and this is my exact situation. Feels good to know I'm not alone lol. Kills me about the guys that have low PF and much better records. Luck can be a BIG factor in FF success. It's not quite the perfect system. I am sure it averages out over many years, but some years you just get the short end of the stick.

IS my Signature invisible to you guys ?

$200 10team Redraft

1/2 the pot goes to Superbowl, 1/2 the pot goes to Total Points, the way FF should be.

Yeah but who gets the 200 bucks? Oh....you must use it to buy the pot.

I am in a 12 team league, 10th in scoring...and I'm 6-1 and in sole possession of first place.

I attribute it to my skillz...

:pointstosky:

$200 10team Redraft

1/2 the pot goes to Superbowl, 1/2 the pot goes to Total Points, the way FF should be.

I think you need permission from the NFL if you want to call your championship the Super Bowl. Goddell has eyes everywhere and he knows you have infringed.

I think you need permission from the NFL if you want to call your championship the Super Bowl. Goddell has eyes everywhere and he knows you have infringed.

Hey its not my league. I was just quoting that other guys signature. Great now Goodall's Goons are probably on their way here to give me the Nate Burleson treatment.

last years ago in one of my leagues, i started 1-5 while holding the top overall scorer position. in 4 of those 6 games, i happened to play the weekly high scorer.

nobody cares if i whine, right?

:cry:

last years ago in one of my leagues, i started 1-5 while holding the top overall scorer position. in 4 of those 6 games, i happened to play the weekly high scorer.

nobody cares if i whine, right?

:cry:

TheUsualSuspect does. But go ahead anyway. I'm pretty sure he's bitter. :)

$200 10team Redraft

Seriously, is there anyother way to do it ?

After Trades and Transactions our Pot grows to about $2500, so there's over a $1000 for each race, and imagine the year when the SB winner is the Total Points champion.

And at the end of every year, the Total Points Champion is the real winner and gets and deserves the respect. He beat EVERYONE over the who 16 weeks, not just who he randomly played, and then on a hot streak for the Playoffs.

I've heard of this happening before. It's a statistical anamoly, where despite what you score, sometimes you lose a couple games and end up 3-4 after week 7.

It only happens in the rarest of occasions, but it is possible.

You should console this poor man with a BJ. He's sad. That will make him feel better.

Who's your QB? I have seen great teams flounder in the W/L record because of poor QB play. I am not sure I understand it, but that's what happens.

Also, obviously Points Against is important, where do you rank in your league there? Defense wins championships (kidding, but serious...).

To stop all the whining that happens every year like in this thread. We give the 6th playoff spot to the team with the most points not currently in the top 5 spots.

To stop all the whining that happens every year like in this thread. We give the 6th playoff spot to the team with the most points not currently in the top 5 spots.

I wasnt whining. I fully accept the vagaries and whims of the Fantasy Football Gods, in their honor we pray. I would rather be the highest scoring 8th place team EVAR than win some mathematical formula league that makes things "fair". Fair is so f*cking boring. Last season the Fantasy Football Gods (in their honor we pray) gaveth in the form of Stafford to CalJohn, this season they taketh in the form of McCoy and high ankle sprains.

Hey its not my league. I was just quoting that other guys signature. Great now Goodall's Goons are probably on their way here to give me the Nate Burleson treatment.

Goodell and the Goodell squad do not care what reasons you have for using the term "Super Bowl" in vein. He will hand out punishment accordingly, even it is someone else's league. I am probably on his radar now for even referring to the situation.