Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyn2022

Someone sell me on Det def

I've seen rotoworld and these forums blow th up. Det had not scored double digit points all year. They also allow a ton if points. I have the Texans,Jets and SD but the hype around DEt def is high. Why?

Why is the hype high? Did you not see what Seattle did to Arizona last week? Granted, Seattle's defense is by and far better than Detroit's, but still...

Exhibit A (to start Det D): Seattle D - Week 13

Exhibit A (to not start Det D): Pitt D - Week 10 (decent but not game-changing)

I'm by no means sold on Detroit this week, but they do seem like a medium risk/high reward play.

I have been struggling with this for days. I have been riding Denver's D for weeks and, due to the hype, picked up Detroit's for this weekend. Every bone in my body tells me not to play them AT Arizona. I just can't seem to buy into them becoming a good unit just because the Cardinals suck so bad. At least my opponent can't play them against me as they blow up on my bench.

I have been struggling with this for days. I have been riding Denver's D for weeks and, due to the hype, picked up Detroit's for this weekend. Every bone in my body tells me not to play them AT Arizona. I just can't seem to buy into them becoming a good unit just because the Cardinals suck so bad. At least my opponent can't play them against me as they blow up on my bench.

I'm glad I don't have them because I'd have them in the starting lineup and be thinking the same thing (along with "I can't believe I'm trusting the Detroit DS/T in the semis").

It really depends on your situation. If your the underdog in the playoff picture you may want to take a couple of shots at a huge payday. Det may or may not be that payday but what do you really have to lose?

I think that the D/ST that plays ARI has had 4 straight 20+ point games. Why would you not play them?

I, personally, went for Cincy for this week because I think that Foles will come back to earth this week. :dunno:

Detroits D isnt particualrly good or bad at stopping the pass or run, ranking in the middle third in passing yds allowed, passing TDs allowed, rushing yds allowed, rushing tds allowed, sacks, and INTs. They are middle of the road in pun t returns, and near the bottom of the league in kickoff returns. They have 0 ST TDs this season. They have 2 INT return TDs and 2 Fumble RC for TDs this season.

To me, when evaluating DST matchups, the only stat that is semi-predictable is sacks. Turnovers are like TDs, great when you get them, but way too random to count on. So in this case we have the Arizona offense who has surrendered 52 sacks on the season (12 in the last 5 games)., far and away the most in the NFL. And we have the Detroit defense which as a unit has 11 sacks over the last 5 games. For the IDP crowd, Nick Fairley has 4 of those sacks, and Cliff Avril has 5. Im thinking of taking a flyer on Avril, who is apparently healthy for the first time in awhile, this week in one league.

Im considering Detroit in a couple of leagues, but like other posters have said, i am not totally convinced. Arizona is bad, but not as bad as they showed last week. There could be a prideful rebound game in the works. Detroit is just the kind of team that could be this weeks Arizona, a team that gets down early and packs it in. But if you, like me, are playing WW DST Roulette, sometimes beggars cant be choosers. I am also considering Cincinati at the Eagles (The most sacks vs the 3rd most sacks allowed) , and the Jests at the Titans, although the Jests is a longshot i think. I am not a fan of starting road DSTs, unless the matchup is really juicy. And all three of these would be road games for me. So im probably going to lean towards the best defense of the bunch, which is the Bengals IMO.

If i didnt have the Cincy option, or if i played in a scoring system that rewarded sacks heavily, i would probably play Detroit without much hesitation.

Why is the hype high? Did you not see what Seattle did to Arizona last week? Granted, Seattle's defense is by and far better than Detroit's, but still...

Exhibit A (to start Det D): Seattle D - Week 13

Exhibit A (to not start Det D): Pitt D - Week 10 (decent but not game-changing)

I'm by no means sold on Detroit this week, but they do seem like a medium risk/high reward play.

I'd go one step further and say Det is a low risk/high reward play this week. I mean what are the chances they put up a stinker? In our league over the last 3 weeks Ari has allowed 85 points to opposing defenses. The next weakest team has allowed 58. I dumped Sea D. for them and I'm the favorite by a long way. I read a lot of this same talk last week about how lousy Sea D. was in recent games. We all know what happened. I think people are trying to talk themselves out of this, and anything can happen, but it would surprise me if Ari all of a sudden found a way to play mistake free football.

I think that the D/ST that plays ARI has had 4 straight 20+ point games. Why would you not play them?

Yeah, but those teams were the Falcons, Rams, Jets and Seahawks...with 3 of those games on the road.

Each of these teams has a better defense then Detroit.

It looks juicy, but I see middle of the road. Somehow Detroit always ends up in a shootout... The last game they didn't give up at least 24 points was vs. Jac in week 9 and they only scored 11 points in my league. I would expect about the same.

Yeah, but those teams were the Falcons, Rams, Jets and Seahawks...with 3 of those games on the road.

Each of these teams has a better defense then Detroit.

It looks juicy, but I see middle of the road. Somehow Detroit always ends up in a shootout... The last game they didn't give up at least 24 points was vs. Jac in week 9 and they only scored 11 points in my league. I would expect about the same.

Much of this comes down to league scoring. In our league the Def. scores only with sacks, turnovers, and TD from Def or special teams ( it's really pretty lame ). If your using score and/or yardage totals my opinion might change, I haven't looked into it since I'm out in my league that uses these numbers. Really I'm just looking for mistakes, the more the merrier and I think it would be pretty difficult for Ari to come out of this with less then 2 turnovers.

I'd go one step further and say Det is a low risk/high reward play this week. I mean what are the chances they put up a stinker? In our league over the last 3 weeks Ari has allowed 85 points to opposing defenses. The next weakest team has allowed 58. I dumped Sea D. for them and I'm the favorite by a long way. I read a lot of this same talk last week about how lousy Sea D. was in recent games. We all know what happened. I think people are trying to talk themselves out of this, and anything can happen, but it would surprise me if Ari all of a sudden found a way to play mistake free football.

Who was saying this? Surely not anyone you want to take advice from.

Vegas opened at Detroit -6.5,looks like a trap to me,Fitzgerald finally goes off :dunno:

yeah,my opponent has the Detroit D this week.

As anybody who gambles on the NFL can attest to, it's a very week-to-week league. Most teams are capable of competing and beating any other team on any given week. The cardinals got ###### embarrassed last week. With the way the media has been beating them this week, I feel like they are going to come out and play their asses off. Not to mention they're at home versus a Lions team that seems to show up when it wants. On top of that, Detroit's D hasn't been a good fantasy D all year. There's a chance they blow up, but I see this as a trap game. FWIW, I had the option of grabbing the Lions this week and went with Cincy as others have in this thread as well.

The Cardinals haven't scored 20 since week 4, are the lowest scoring team in the NFL, have gained the fewest yards, have given up (by far) the most sacks, and only two teams (KC and Philly) have committed more turnovers.

Who was saying this? Surely not anyone you want to take advice from.

I read lots of different forums and I'm sure this one had lots of questions about Sea D. and their CB suspensions. The concerns about their mediocrity were confirmed by my league stats. Here I found them on the wire, ranked right in the middle, and their scoring in the 3 weeks prior to putting up 49 on Ari. was 0, 10' and 0. Did you see a lot of guys rolling with Sea the last month? It's like the bears right now. You trust them?

Looking at it from a football perspective and thinking about the matchups:

1) AZ has the worst O-Line in football (PFF ranks them last in both pass and run blocking)

2) AZ has the worst QB's by far in football (#'s 66 and 68 in Total QBR)

3) AZ has no real running threat to keep teams honest

4) DET has a pretty good D-Line with Suh, Fairley, Avril and has shown they can get some sacks.

On the flip side, DET can score some points, which could lead to garbage time potential for AZ, but i'm not too sure that they could even take advantage of it.

Bottom line, I don't think you can get burned in this matchup that should feature atleast a handful of sacks and likely a few turnovers as a result of the pressure the D-line will provide. Can't see how AZ will generate more than 2-3 scoring drives max.

That being said, you can't count on the TD's so I don't think they are necessarily going to blow up either.

Im playing DET over Cincy tonight. dont need foles throwing 300yds vs a short week tired defense. Foles may not be great but hes also not a turnover machine, I need a turnover machine playing my dst. That said, Iv been vocal saying this could be one of those Peterson gets a punt return td and an int td type of game so i wouldnt be shocked if the lions lost 20-17.

I read lots of different forums and I'm sure this one had lots of questions about Sea D. and their CB suspensions. The concerns about their mediocrity were confirmed by my league stats. Here I found them on the wire, ranked right in the middle, and their scoring in the 3 weeks prior to putting up 49 on Ari. was 0, 10' and 0. Did you see a lot of guys rolling with Sea the last month? It's like the bears right now. You trust them?

at home I do.

Michael Fabiano

Start of the week

Lions defense at Arizona Cardinals: If we have learned anything in the last few weeks, it's that the Cardinals are the single best matchup for fantasy defenses. Just ask anyone who started the Seahawks last week - the start of the week defense - and received a ridiculous 41 fantasy points. The Lions will be the hottest defensive addition off the waiver wire.

IN my Yahoo 1 pt sack 2 pt turnover league, Arizona has given up double digits 9 out of the last 10 games.

Philly has been much better since Nick Foles took over, only giving up 8, 8 and 7 pts the last three weeks.

I guess i cant find a reason not to start Detroit. Consider me all in on the Lions.

im in the exact same boat. i went from starting DET to now thinking it's nothing but a trap game and going to plug in Denver, which is a top 5 D and has shown no signs of slowing down.

IN my Yahoo 1 pt sack 2 pt turnover league, Arizona has given up double digits 9 out of the last 10 games.

Philly has been much better since Nick Foles took over, only giving up 8, 8 and 7 pts the last three weeks.

I guess i cant find a reason not to start Detroit. Consider me all in on the Lions.

In ESPN standard scoring they have negative points in 3 games and have gotten over 10 just once.

In ESPN standard scoring they have negative points in 3 games and have gotten over 10 just once.

Yeah but they havent played Arizona yet.

Yeah but they havent played Arizona yet.

They have not.

Looking at the Arizona points allowed makes it look like a slam dunk. Then looking at the Detroit points for makes it look risky. I'm torn.

They have not.

Looking at the Arizona points allowed makes it look like a slam dunk. Then looking at the Detroit points for makes it look risky. I'm torn.

Me too. Im just acting confident to mask my inner turmoil :D

Me too. Im just acting confident to mask my inner turmoil :D

I just wish either them or Seattle were playing at home. Would make my decision much easier.

Why did I read this posting? I was on cruise control, picked up Detroit, and counting my money. I don't think I can start Denver at Baltimore. Flacco has been decent at home.

What makes Dever so great is Peyton and his clock management. Every play is snapped at 2 or 1 seconds. Opponents do not get to run that many plays. Rice on injury report. New OC. Oh God.

It hurts. Von Miller, come to me in a dream. Tell me what to do!

Why did I read this posting? I was on cruise control, picked up Detroit, and counting my money. I don't think I can start Denver at Baltimore. Flacco has been decent at home.

What makes Dever so great is Peyton and his clock management. Every play is snapped at 2 or 1 seconds. Opponents do not get to run that many plays. Rice on injury report. New OC. Oh God.

It hurts. Von Miller, come to me in a dream. Tell me what to do!

stop reading our posts lol

The Jets were playing pretty bad and ten they played ARz and had a good outing. Arz only scored because of a fake punt. The problem is this. Lions throw the ball a ton and stafford is know to throw a few INT. Also Arz play much better at home. Don't forget Det doesn't really have anyone to stop FItz and fitz wants to show people he's as good as Calvin. My hopes are a Det TD.

Im playing DET over Cincy tonight. dont need foles throwing 300yds vs a short week tired defense. Foles may not be great but hes also not a turnover machine, I need a turnover machine playing my dst. That said, Iv been vocal saying this could be one of those Peterson gets a punt return td and an int td type of game so i wouldnt be shocked if the lions lost 20-17.

Same boat here. I'm also rolling with Detroit. I'm tempted to not even watch TNF tonight to save myself the agony of watching my decision turn to sh1t...

lindley starting may be their saving grace.

can't compare these dudes to the Jets defense, the Lions are in the bottom 5 defenses in my entire league. the Jets are just a couple of places behind the Rams. Jets have 150pts on the year, Lions 100 in my league. they consistently suck.

they may do well cause Arizona is possibly the worst of the worst but i dunno, it's up in the air IMO.

i'm kina liking the RAMS vs minny possibly.

Same boat here. I'm also rolling with Detroit. I'm tempted to not even watch TNF tonight to save myself the agony of watching my decision turn to sh1t...

Dude Cincy is a great play tonight, i checked for them earlier i would of started them tonight

I'm starting Cincy in one league and the Lions in the other. I chose Det over Cincy in that league. Didn't want to double up on Cincy and they are both equally good plays in my opinion. If I had to choose one I think I'd go Detroit. Higher upside because of the completely inept offense of AZ.