Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

More impressive ... ADP,OJ,LT2,Emmitt or Eric D

Eric Dickerson getting 8 more yards than ADP in 16 games

Juice - Who got 2K in 14 games

ADP - came 8 yards short of the record after shredding his ACL week 15 the year before

Emmitt - Rushing king - but had truck size holes to run through

LT2 - most TD's in a single season

Hard to imagine anyone facing better defenses that were less worried about the pass than what Peterson faced.

Hard to imagine anyone facing better defenses that were less worried about the pass than what Peterson faced.

just for the sake of argument, people say that defenses have been neutered by rule changes over the last decade. this is normally invoked to describe the passing game, but can apply to the run game, as well.

if that is the case, then earlier runners faced stronger defenses. doesn't take away from ADP overcoming his injury, though.

just for the sake of argument, people say that defenses have been neutered by rule changes over the last decade. this is normally invoked to describe the passing game, but can apply to the run game, as well.

if that is the case, then earlier runners faced stronger defenses. doesn't take away from ADP overcoming his injury, though.

The argument also applies as defenses are more and more being built to stop the pass. You're not getting the big hogs in the middle to stop the run anymore.

But, then, that might actually hurt AD. A smaller defense is a faster defense, and Peterson's strength is bouncing outside tackles and getting big runs. A faster defense makes that more difficult.

The argument also applies as defenses are more and more being built to stop the pass. You're not getting the big hogs in the middle to stop the run anymore.

But, then, that might actually hurt AD. A smaller defense is a faster defense, and Peterson's strength is bouncing outside tackles and getting big runs. A faster defense makes that more difficult.

that's a good argument, too. i'm not trying to prove anything here--i think what ADP did is downright superhuman.

just throwing it out there for discussion.

The list is not complete because it does not include Barry Sanders who played for the woeful Lions.

It's hard for me not to say Peterson because of the circumstances. His knee was completely destroyed.

Why not add Jim Brown's string of rushing titles to the mix? Talk about one man offense. He was ADP before ADP was a thought. Out of those on the list you provided, I would say OJ. He played in a much dirtier game and was the focal point of his offense. While I personally do not like the man, he was a GREAT running back. When he played, Cornerbacks could/would tackle. Linebackers were not not playing ONLY for the sack. That cannot be overlooked. Saying someone faces an 8 man front today isn't the same as an 8 man front 30 years ago. Still 8 guys, but in todays game, at least one of them is only playing for a sack.

Why not add Jim Brown's string of rushing titles to the mix? Talk about one man offense. He was ADP before ADP was a thought. Out of those on the list you provided, I would say OJ. He played in a much dirtier game and was the focal point of his offense. While I personally do not like the man, he was a GREAT running back. When he played, Cornerbacks could/would tackle. Linebackers were not not playing ONLY for the sack. That cannot be overlooked. Saying someone faces an 8 man front today isn't the same as an 8 man front 30 years ago. Still 8 guys, but in todays game, at least one of them is only playing for a sack.

Jim Brown was a freak of nature back then, but lets look at it realistically, the avg linebacker in the NFL in the 60's weighed about 220, Jim Brown was bigger then 3 of his O-line man, it would be like taking any NFL RB right now and putting them against HS'ers

If you ever saw Jim Brown play you would have to put him on the list. This year by ADP coming off of the injury is the most impressive season.

Jim Brown was a freak of nature back then, but lets look at it realistically, the avg linebacker in the NFL in the 60's weighed about 210, Jim Brown was bigger then 3 of his O-line man, it would be like taking any NFL RB right now and putting them against HS'ers

You never saw Jim Brown play an entire game did you?

You never saw Jim Brown play an entire game did you?

nope sorry I am only 38, I have seen lots of old highlight films, films of Jim Brown running over midgets.

Im not saying he wasnt great, but I also think that arguably one of the greatest baseball players of all-time Babe Ruth would likely suck nowadays as well

most guys in the 60's didnt even play football as their only job

Eric Dickerson getting 8 more yards than ADP in 16 games

Juice - Who got 2K in 14 games

ADP - came 8 yards short of the record after shredding his ACL week 15 the year before

Emmitt - Rushing king - but had truck size holes to run through

LT2 - most TD's in a single season

Very hard question to answer. If I just had to answer it, I would go with O.J.

Very hard question to answer. If I just had to answer it, I would go with O.J.

theres gotta be some type of OJ murder joke in here, I mean obviously its OJ cause hes the only one thats got away with double murder?

IMPRESSIVE!!!

theres gotta be some type of OJ murder joke in here, I mean obviously its OJ cause hes the only one thats got away with double murder?

IMPRESSIVE!!!

the glove didn't fit :mad:

Bo Jackson Techmo Bowl :pointstosky:

HA! I ran across an old Tecmo Bowl game at a garage sale and bought it. Wow. Just my opinion, but it's still more fun than either of the last two years of Madden!

I assume Barry Sanders was left off of this list because he's so far above the rest, playing on that assed up team?

HA! I ran across an old Tecmo Bowl game at a garage sale and bought it. Wow. Just my opinion, but it's still more fun than either of the last two years of Madden!

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Jim Brown was a freak of nature back then, but lets look at it realistically, the avg linebacker in the NFL in the 60's weighed about 220, Jim Brown was bigger then 3 of his O-line man, it would be like taking any NFL RB right now and putting them against HS'ers

Yeah, Jack Lambert played at 220 lbs in his heyday. NFL defensive players today are sick with their size and speed...

Barry Sanders is the greatest running back of all time, based on talent, vision, elusiveness and quickness.

If the goal is to advance the ball and elude tacklers, Barry.

If it's a measure of effectiveness relative to the quality of assistance given by teammates, Barry. If Barry had somehow traded places with Emmitt and the offense in place in Dallas in the 90's, I would suggest that Barry would have set the record for all time rushing yards at 20,000 yards plus.

Gayle Sayers is probably the greatest open field runner in the history of the game. Jim Brown the most powerful and dominating.

All Day's achievement, while very impressive, is being exaggerated by virtue of it being very recent.

Barry Sanders is the greatest running back of all time, based on talent, vision, elusiveness and quickness.

If the goal is to advance the ball and elude tacklers, Barry.

If it's a measure of effectiveness relative to the quality of assistance given by teammates, Barry. If Barry had somehow traded places with Emmitt and the offense in place in Dallas in the 90's, I would suggest that Barry would have set the record for all time rushing yards at 20,000 yards plus.

Gayle Sayers is probably the greatest open field runner in the history of the game. Jim Brown the most powerful and dominating.

All Day's achievement, while very impressive, is being exaggerated by virtue of it being very recent.

Not saying ADP is the greatest RB -- but no player in any sport has come back from a TORN ACL at the end of the year -- then the next year have the second (or 3rd if you count Juice) year for a RB in NFL history. Just saying what ADP did has never happened before in any sport - Football being maybe the toughest sport to come back from a ACL in that time frame.

I admit had Barry had Emmitt Smiths truck size holes to run though for those 5-7 years he would of had at least 5 2K seasons -- Barry remains the most exciting player I ever watched play the game.