Sign in to follow this  
Lackman

***The Official Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offseason Thread***

I didn't want the past season's thread to capture too much of our post 2012 chatter before switching over to a new thread, so let's cut the cord and begin anew. This is the part where I would say something classy and inspirational, but that just ain't my style.

I'd like to see a new pass catching TE to pair with Miller in a 2-TE set.

And a burner at WR to stretch the field vertically.

And someone disruptive to the opposing QB. DT, DE, I don't care, just frickin' get to the bastard.

And I'd like a pony. No, a unicorn. :wub:

A BLACK unicorn?

Are you planning on interviewing the unicorn first?

I'd like to see a new pass catching TE to pair with Miller in a 2-TE set.

And a burner at WR to stretch the field vertically.

And someone disruptive to the opposing QB. DT, DE, I don't care, just frickin' get to the bastard.

And I'd like a pony. No, a unicorn. :wub:

What :pointstosky: said.

We need to draft a WR, no DE. no DT :mad: :wall:

Let the bickering begin, but save the insults for the outsiders :overhead:

Fock it, we should draft all three. We already know the 3rd rounders and later will outplay the early picks. BPA on whatever unique draft board the Seattle brain trust comes up with.

I will not be making any such agreement. :middlefinger:

We already know the 3rd rounders and later will outplay the early picks. BPA on whatever unique draft board the Seattle brain trust comes up with.

I've already started questioning my early tentative decision to be more mellow heading into the draft. Unique draft board my ass. :overhead:

We need to draft a WR, no DE. no DT :mad: :wall:

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

So you're willing to entrust the pass rush to a 31 year old Clemons fresh off reconstructive knee surgery, a 2nd year DE who has not shown he can stand up against the run, plus a cadre of run-stuffers in the middle like Mebane, Branch and McDonald? That is a recipe for not getting sustained pressure. We are playing with house money on Clemons but father time catches up with everyone eventually.

I've already started questioning my early tentative decision to be more mellow heading into the draft. Unique draft board my ass. :overhead:

Stay close to your roots. Drink early, drink often, lambaste everything.

Fock it, we should draft all three. We already know the 3rd rounders and later will outplay the early picks. BPA on whatever unique draft board the Seattle brain trust comes up with.

THIS. :headbanger:

So you're willing to entrust the pass rush to a 31 year old Clemons fresh off reconstructive knee surgery, a 2nd year DE who has not shown he can stand up against the run, plus a cadre of run-stuffers in the middle like Mebane, Branch and McDonald? That is a recipe for not getting sustained pressure. We are playing with house money on Clemons but father time catches up with everyone eventually.

I made no such claim.

It wouldn't be draft day around here if you didn't. :cheers:

hmm. You want a DT in free agency? Maybe Starks or Melton? Big dinero.

Of the two, Melton would be the better choice, but he will also cost more. Stark's because of his age will be the cheaper option. Personally, I'm not overly excited by either. Seahawk scouts have been interviewing DTs at the Sr. Bowl this week, so that is clearly a position that will be addressed.

Trade Flynn to move up in round 1 and grab the best pass rusher you can as Clemons will be out a while unless he harness's his inner Adrian Peterson

Trade Flynn to move up in round 1 and grab the best pass rusher you can as Clemons will be out a while unless he harness's his inner Adrian Peterson

Easier said than done.

Well, Revis is on the trade block. Which makes sense, as our cap guy Idzik just became the Jets GM. At this point, the word is that there are 5 teams interested in Revis, and Seattle in on the list.

The trade would take at least a first round pick, probably a bit more. I think the plan is to phase Browner into situational pass defense, nickle play, while Sherman and Revis shut down 2/3 of the field. Maybe you could move Chancellor to linebacker.

Should the Seahawks be interested? Is this simply lazy journalism of Idzik trading with his old team?

Well, Revis is on the trade block. Which makes sense, as our cap guy Idzik just became the Jets GM. At this point, the word is that there are 5 teams interested in Revis, and Seattle in on the list.

The trade would take at least a first round pick, probably a bit more. I think the plan is to phase Browner into situational pass defense, nickle play, while Sherman and Revis shut down 2/3 of the field. Maybe you could move Chancellor to linebacker.

Should the Seahawks be interested? Is this simply lazy journalism of Idzik trading with his old team?

I just came here to talk about this.

Please dont do it! Even if he comes back strong a 1st and....a 2nd or 3rd probably, on top of a $60 million salary is too much to commit to one player, especially one who plays a position that is already a team strength.

Keep on building through the draft and with youngish, affordable free agents. Focus on the pass rush. Big name veteran acquisitions like this (almost) never work out. Ruskell would make a trade like this. Let Dan Snyder overpay for him.

That is all..

you know, when the Revis news first broke I thought of Seattle for a few reasons. Idzik being our new GM ofcourse but also the hawks desire to move Matt flynn and the Jets need for a QB. Mind you, I don't think Matt Flynn is very good and don't really want to be trading for him but if the Jets are determined to move Revis to help fix their cap situation and bring in picks and players I could see Revis heading to Seattle with Sanchez to reunite with Carroll and back up Wilson. With the Jets getting Flynn and a 1st.

as a Jets fan, i don't really want to see Revis go. For as laughable as their season was, I see 4 fixes that get them right back to their contender status of 2 years ago.

on the other hand, I am rational and understand some cap work needs to be done and Revis will command too much $ shortly down the road. not a bad idea to get something for him now.

you know, when the Revis news first broke I thought of Seattle for a few reasons. Idzik being our new GM ofcourse but also the hawks desire to move Matt flynn and the Jets need for a QB. Mind you, I don't think Matt Flynn is very good and don't really want to be trading for him but if the Jets are determined to move Revis to help fix their cap situation and bring in picks and players I could see Revis heading to Seattle with Sanchez to reunite with Carroll and back up Wilson. With the Jets getting Flynn and a 1st.

as a Jets fan, i don't really want to see Revis go. For as laughable as their season was, I see 4 fixes that get them right back to their contender status of 2 years ago.

on the other hand, I am rational and understand some cap work needs to be done and Revis will command too much $ shortly down the road. not a bad idea to get something for him now.

If we're talking Flynn and a later pick then I'm less opposed. He would still eat up a lot of cap room.

The front office is probably just kicking tires like they do any time a big name becomes available.

If we're talking Flynn and a later pick then I'm less opposed. He would still eat up a lot of cap room.

The front office is probably just kicking tires like they do any time a big name becomes available.

i can't imagine it happening for flynn and a later pick.

the absolute minimum I see the Jets trading Revis for is a 2nd and a 3rd with the 2nd becoming a 1st based on games or snaps played.

Considering Flynn is openly on the block and I heard, I think schefter, say that teams may just wait for Seattle to cut him, I can't imagine the Jets trading Revis for Flynn and accepting anything less than a conditional 1st.

I'm just spitballing though. I know you guys don't want Revis and I don't want Flynn. Chances are, if the Jets do move Revis, some team will pay a 1st and 3rd for him.

i can't imagine it happening for flynn and a later pick.

the absolute minimum I see the Jets trading Revis for is a 2nd and a 3rd with the 2nd becoming a 1st based on games or snaps played.

Considering Flynn is openly on the block and I heard, I think schefter, say that teams may just wait for Seattle to cut him, I can't imagine the Jets trading Revis for Flynn and accepting anything less than a conditional 1st.

I'm just spitballing though. I know you guys don't want Revis and I don't want Flynn. Chances are, if the Jets do move Revis, some team will pay a 1st and 3rd for him.

Sorry, by later I meant not a 1st rounder. Flynn and 3rd that could become a 2nd would be the most I'd want to see them pay.

If that's what Schefter is reporting, then he is an idiot. I can 100% guarantee that Flynn will not get cut this year or next year. Cap wise, logic wise, there is zero point to cutting him. I can't possibly figure out why he would be cut. The team promised to move Flynn in a trade only if the deal made sense. If not, he's staying put. The team likes him and would have a very difficult time replacing his talent as the backup. And I seriously doubt Carroll wants any part of Sanchez, given the Sanchez contract and his lack of preparation towards games. Sanchez is a meat head, not the type of player Carroll wants. Wilson and Flynn are film room rats, spending all day studying. Why would you go from an ideal backup to your worst nightmare to backup Flynn? Carroll has done nothing but criticize Sanchez since he left USC.

I'm on board with possibly bringing on board Revis. We have 10 draft picks this year, and the reality is that the sudden depth on the team will make a bunch of those picks not make the team. So, you give up a very low first round pick, as opposed to around #15 where we have been drafting recently, and a bit more for a game changing player. And how great have the first round picks actually been? First year, you hit with Okung and Thomas. Great. Next year, you get Carpener, who has been a colossal bust so far. Last year, Irvin, who everybody knows I don't like one bit. The picks in the later rounds have been much, much better, getting incredible value for the rounds the players have gone in. But the first round picks are hitting at 50%. The Seahawks are now in a position where they need impact players rather than guys to fill out the roster. Carroll firmly believes that a defense is built from back to front, which is why the secondary is so good and the pass rush sucks. He loves coverage guys. With Revis, a QB could sit in the pocket for 20 seconds and still not find a WR open. Browner's contract will be up after next year and will command big bucks, almost as much as Revis, so the money is not the issue in a potential trade, other than needing to lock up Revis long term. Browner could walk after next season anyway. Plus Browner is 28 already, so it's not like he is a very young player either. For what Browner brings to the table, Earl Thomas still has to commit part of his coverage to Browner's side to make sure he didn't get beat. Thomas doesn't do that with Sherman. If you get Revis to pair with Sherman, Thomas is completely free to roam the field without a care in the world. You take away 2/3 of the field for an opposing offense with those two corners, which takes Seattle up to another level defensively.

The Seahawks can certainly absorb the one year cap hit for Revis given their very healthy cap situation, the price isn't that outrageous. I'm curious to see if the interest is genuine or just rampant speculation.

If that's what Schefter is reporting, then he is an idiot. I can 100% guarantee that Flynn will not get cut this year or next year. Cap wise, logic wise, there is zero point to cutting him. I can't possibly figure out why he would be cut. The team promised to move Flynn in a trade only if the deal made sense. If not, he's staying put. The team likes him and would have a very difficult time replacing his talent as the backup. And I seriously doubt Carroll wants any part of Sanchez, given the Sanchez contract and his lack of preparation towards games. Sanchez is a meat head, not the type of player Carroll wants. Wilson and Flynn are film room rats, spending all day studying. Why would you go from an ideal backup to your worst nightmare to backup Flynn? Carroll has done nothing but criticize Sanchez since he left USC.

I'm on board with possibly bringing on board Revis. We have 10 draft picks this year, and the reality is that the sudden depth on the team will make a bunch of those picks not make the team. So, you give up a very low first round pick, as opposed to around #15 where we have been drafting recently, and a bit more for a game changing player. And how great have the first round picks actually been? First year, you hit with Okung and Thomas. Great. Next year, you get Carpener, who has been a colossal bust so far. Last year, Irvin, who everybody knows I don't like one bit. The picks in the later rounds have been much, much better, getting incredible value for the rounds the players have gone in. But the first round picks are hitting at 50%. The Seahawks are now in a position where they need impact players rather than guys to fill out the roster. Carroll firmly believes that a defense is built from back to front, which is why the secondary is so good and the pass rush sucks. He loves coverage guys. With Revis, a QB could sit in the pocket for 20 seconds and still not find a WR open. Browner's contract will be up after next year and will command big bucks, almost as much as Revis, so the money is not the issue in a potential trade, other than needing to lock up Revis long term. Browner could walk after next season anyway. Plus Browner is 28 already, so it's not like he is a very young player either. For what Browner brings to the table, Earl Thomas still has to commit part of his coverage to Browner's side to make sure he didn't get beat. Thomas doesn't do that with Sherman. If you get Revis to pair with Sherman, Thomas is completely free to roam the field without a care in the world. You take away 2/3 of the field for an opposing offense with those two corners, which takes Seattle up to another level defensively.

The Seahawks can certainly absorb the one year cap hit for Revis given their very healthy cap situation, the price isn't that outrageous. I'm curious to see if the interest is genuine or just rampant speculation.

i didn't say the Seahawks WANTED Sanchez. I was just tossing an idea out there. The Jets might be interested in Flynn (im personally not) but they won't roster Flynn AND Sanchez as they both make too much $ for what they are. and they certainly won't trade Revis for flynn straight up. Im sure they would love to unload Sanchez. I guess the more logical deal would be Revis for Flynn and a pick without Sanchez involved. Like I said, I was just tossing something out there.

right from rotoworld

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports teams are unwilling to trade for Matt Flynn because the expectation is the Seahawks will cut him.

Flynn is due an affordable $5.25 million in 2013 if a team views him as a starter, but that price would be too steep for the Seahawks to pay for a clipboard holder behind Russell Wilson. Flynn turns 28 in June, and Seattle would likely accept a late-round pick in exchange for him. The Jets have been mentioned as a possible landing spot after hiring ex-Seattle exec John Idzik as GM. Jan 22 - 7:54 PM

so its not just schefter reporting it.

i didn't say the Seahawks WANTED Sanchez. I was just tossing an idea out there. The Jets might be interested in Flynn (im personally not) but they won't roster Flynn AND Sanchez as they both make too much $ for what they are. and they certainly won't trade Revis for flynn straight up. Im sure they would love to unload Sanchez. I guess the more logical deal would be Revis for Flynn and a pick without Sanchez involved. Like I said, I was just tossing something out there.

right from rotoworld

so its not just schefter reporting it.

It's fine. I was just expressing my distaste with Sanchez, which dates back to his draft year when I ripped him up and down. No offense meant. I do think the Seahawks are as underwhelmed with him as I am.

Again, despite these media types that copy stories off each other (Te'o), teams waiting for Flynn to be cut will be waiting for 2 years for that to happen. And he won't go for a 4th round pick or later. Remember, Schneider gave up a lot for Whitehurst and was mocked for it. He won't just cut a decent QB for nothing. The Seahawks held onto Tarvaris Jackson longer than expect, and milked a 7th round pick out of it. They are going to keep Flynn unless they get good value for him. He is a commodity. They will not, NOT, cut him. I feel very strongly about it. If they cut him, that would be very much against the nature of everything they have been doing the last 3 years.

But don't be so down on Flynn. I peg him better than any other QB on the Jets roster. He looked very good in the preseason time he spent here. Very good. He was neck and neck with Wilson.

It's fine. I was just expressing my distaste with Sanchez, which dates back to his draft year when I ripped him up and down. No offense meant. I do think the Seahawks are as underwhelmed with him as I am.

Again, despite these media types that copy stories off each other (Te'o), teams waiting for Flynn to be cut will be waiting for 2 years for that to happen. And he won't go for a 4th round pick or later. Remember, Schneider gave up a lot for Whitehurst and was mocked for it. He won't just cut a decent QB for nothing. The Seahawks held onto Tarvaris Jackson longer than expect, and milked a 7th round pick out of it. They are going to keep Flynn unless they get good value for him. He is a commodity. They will not, NOT, cut him. I feel very strongly about it. If they cut him, that would be very much against the nature of everything they have been doing the last 3 years.

But don't be so down on Flynn. I peg him better than any other QB on the Jets roster. He looked very good in the preseason time he spent here. Very good. He was neck and neck with Wilson.

I don't disagree that he is better than anything the Jets currently have. But I wouldn't give up much for a player whose reputation is built off 1 game in relief of Aaron Rodgers. He got beat out by (a very good) rookie in preseason. I called it pretty early on. I remember a lot of the Hawks homers in here were adamant that Flynn should be the starter. Of course they are all rightfully on the Wilson bandwagon now.

I don't see where Flynn is such a commodity. :dunno: What has he proven? The track record of backups that teams go after because they are QB needy is not that great. Aside from I suppose Matt Schaub. Remember, when Flynn was a free agent, teams were not falling over themselves to get him. It was pretty much Miami or Seattle and considering Joe Philbin worked closely with Flynn, it says something that Miami didn't bother to make a bigger push for him.

I think the point is that Flynn is a commodity to Seattle. If nobody else feels strongly enough to to pay what they value him they would gladly keep him around should their small, mobile QB get hurt.

I called it pretty early on. I remember a lot of the Hawks homers in here were adamant that Flynn should be the starter. Of course they are all rightfully on the Wilson bandwagon now.

Says the guy who also called Pete Carroll getting fired due to media pressure. Go start a Just End The Season thread. :doh:

I don't even remember typing out this post. Stupid drinking and gambling on college hoops (it was a good day). Sigh. I can't believe I used the words "no offense meant". I sound like a slapd!ck. Yuck. I suck. :doh:

Says the guy who also called Pete Carroll getting fired due to media pressure. Go start a Just End The Season thread. :doh:

your selective memory is a thing of beauty.

1. no one can be right all the time, I always eat my crow when its warranted.

2. I'm pretty sure I never said Pete Carroll would be fired DUE TO media pressure. Pretty sure I said if he struggled, the media would be all over him... and you got your panties in a bunch because I wasn't gushing over your petey so you tried to twist my words as much as you could.

He didn't struggle and I really like what this Hawks team has become :dunno: ... but feel free to dig up some of my quotes on the matter or to go about your business being an ignorant moron.

I don't even remember typing out this post. Stupid drinking and gambling on college hoops (it was a good day). Sigh. I can't believe I used the words "no offense meant". I sound like a slapd!ck. Yuck. I suck. :doh:

No offense meant? Was your computer hacked?

your selective memory is a thing of beauty.

1. no one can be right all the time, I always eat my crow when its warranted.

2. I'm pretty sure I never said Pete Carroll would be fired DUE TO media pressure. Pretty sure I said if he struggled, the media would be all over him... and you got your panties in a bunch because I wasn't gushing over your petey so you tried to twist my words as much as you could.

He didn't struggle and I really like what this Hawks team has become :dunno: ... but feel free to dig up some of my quotes on the matter or to go about your business being an ignorant moron.

The Jets thread is over there in loserville. No go talk about Rexy's toes and his wife's tatoo. As for your old posts, they are worthless like you. The only good thing about the Hawks losing to ATL was that you lost money. :thumbsup:

The Jets thread is over there in loserville. No go talk about Rexy's toes and his wife's tatoo. As for your old posts, they are worthless like you. The only good thing about the Hawks losing to ATL was that you lost money. :thumbsup:

about what i thought your response would be. :thumbsup: you continue to be a class act :lol: also, hate to break it to you but I didn't lose any money (just didn't win any) had good odds on Seattle to win it all and hedged that bet on ATL ML. Would have hedged again if Seattle moved on. I look forward to you continuing to follow me into other threads with visions of Pete Carroll dancing in your head :clap:

about what i thought your response would be. :thumbsup: you continue to be a class act :lol: also, hate to break it to you but I didn't lose any money (just didn't win any) had good odds on Seattle to win it all and hedged that bet on ATL ML. Would have hedged again if Seattle moved on. I look forward to you continuing to follow me into other threads with visions of Pete Carroll dancing in your head :clap:

It must suck that no one on FFT gives a rat's arse about the Jets.