Sign in to follow this  
nikki2200

Recruiters - Looking for a New Job

Well yeah, I did graduate from MIT. I don't want to work at Microsoft though.

You might not have been around at the time (last November), but I'm doing consulting helping clients with "people data." Basically using human analytics to help hire, retain, train, lead, etc. Fascinating stuff, and I'm very tied into the things being discussed in this thread.

One of the main things we do is to help companies hire when they can't find the ideal skill set. We identify who has the right natural behaviors for the job, and we also identify who has the learning agility to come up to speed fast. This approach shifts the focus from having the exact certifications (for example) to who will be a better long-term fit.

I had lunch yesterday with an IT manager at a large tech company. She is trying to hire two fresh-outs and, in her words, she is amazed at the crappiness of the resumes. She asked if colleges these days are giving any guidance on how to write them. She also was amazed that people graduating with CS degrees didn't seem to have basic experience in DB work; everything she sees is "web development."

I'm not that tied into the IT industry specifically, but I will say that there is a lack of technical people in the US, and over time there will be an increasing lack of qualified people for a lot of jobs. Boomers are starting to retire and are doing so at an alarming rate, and we as a country aren't replacing the bodies (thanks edjr) in the employment pipeline. Basically there are a lot of jobs out there and companies are having a hard time filling them with capable people. This is good for my business.

Good stuff. I expect that the situation I'm describing is going to turn very shortly as people really start to invest in some of the more emerging technologies like Cloud that require levels of expertise the IT workforce is unable to keep up with. That's why I think it's a much better use of resources to advance my skills in this area vs one that my employer (and other opportunities I'm seeing) might find useful as of today, especially when they have no plans to reward me either way. I get a lot of people looking for me for my Unix and SAN skills especially, but I don't think it's a good move to continue type casting myself in those areas.

A lot of companies are going to be really disappointed when they see all of their talent jump ship very quickly because they treated them like crap these past couple of years, and it costs them piles of money to replace them.

Well yeah, I did graduate from MIT. I don't want to work at Microsoft though.

You might not have been around at the time (last November), but I'm doing consulting helping clients with "people data." Basically using human analytics to help hire, retain, train, lead, etc. Fascinating stuff, and I'm very tied into the things being discussed in this thread.

One of the main things we do is to help companies hire when they can't find the ideal skill set. We identify who has the right natural behaviors for the job, and we also identify who has the learning agility to come up to speed fast. This approach shifts the focus from having the exact certifications (for example) to who will be a better long-term fit.

I had lunch yesterday with an IT manager at a large tech company. She is trying to hire two fresh-outs and, in her words, she is amazed at the crappiness of the resumes. She asked if colleges these days are giving any guidance on how to write them. She also was amazed that people graduating with CS degrees didn't seem to have basic experience in DB work; everything she sees is "web development."

I'm not that tied into the IT industry specifically, but I will say that there is a lack of technical people in the US, and over time there will be an increasing lack of qualified people for a lot of jobs. Boomers are starting to retire and are doing so at an alarming rate, and we as a country aren't replacing the bodies (thanks edjr) in the employment pipeline. Basically there are a lot of jobs out there and companies are having a hard time filling them with capable people. This is good for my business.

I was just joking around. ;)

ETA: I will give you my thoughts on what your recruitment manager was saying a little later.

On a side note... why do we apparently still have all these H1Bs when unemployment is so high? WHY?

Mebbe these H1Bs offer a little more initiative than someone who has been sitting around on their ever-expanding ass for the last year doing nothing.

HTH

Good stuff. I expect that the situation I'm describing is going to turn very shortly as people really start to invest in some of the more emerging technologies like Cloud that require levels of expertise the IT workforce is unable to keep up with. That's why I think it's a much better use of resources to advance my skills in this area vs one that my employer (and other opportunities I'm seeing) might find useful as of today, especially when they have no plans to reward me either way. I get a lot of people looking for me for my Unix and SAN skills especially, but I don't think it's a good move to continue type casting myself in those areas.

A lot of companies are going to be really disappointed when they see all of their talent jump ship very quickly because they treated them like crap these past couple of years, and it costs them piles of money to replace them.

Who pays for your training and certs? As an IT Exec, I look for more than just certs. I want experience in those areas as there is a glut of folks retraining and making career changes to IT.

I would echo what jerry says. Data is where it is at. I need less server, network, platform and storage help, but need people who help organize and rationalize the data.

Who pays for your training and certs? As an IT Exec, I look for more than just certs. I want experience in those areas as there is a glut of folks retraining and making career changes to IT.

I would echo what jerry says. Data is where it is at. I need less server, network, platform and storage help, but need people who help organize and rationalize the data.

Training? Who needs training? I have 15 years of experience across a wide range of stuff, a hell of a lab, and am more than happy to invest in myself. I'm kind of wondering what sort of candidate you believe could come up with this level of certification in that period of time with no experience in this field. Certification isn't the end all, be all. But it certainly demonstrates more initiative and dedication to my craft than the vast majority of people out there, and anyone I'd actually learn from and respect in this field makes this sort of effort as well. Usually I find the people that denigrate them are ones that are simply unwilling to take the initiative to get them.

Sure you need less server, network, platform, and storage help. Instead you need a guy that understands all of it to get the most out of your investments here rather than a team of people understanding bits and pieces. Those guys are unfortunately not very easy to find these days, there's millions of jobs in this area going unfilled as a result, yet people are still trying to get by on the cheap.

There's no shortage of people looking for me without solicitation on my end, I get people pestering me on Linkedin all of the time, I even had someone call me unsolicited on my office phone a couple weeks ago, they just have crappy salary ranges and I'm not interested in wasting either of our time. I don't like my job currently and don't believe they're utilizing my skills effectively, but I'm still going to need an appreciable jump in salary to make a change. I'm sure the guy they get for peanuts is pretty terrific though. It'll turn.

Mebbe these H1Bs offer a little more initiative than someone who has been sitting around on their ever-expanding ass for the last year doing nothing.

HTH

Why is it bad when someone is very successful at their job and can afford to take off a year or so that they choose to do it? :dunno:

Also, Welcome back DrJ :cheers:

Why is it bad when someone is very successful at their job and can afford to take off a year or so that they choose to do it? :dunno:

Also, Welcome back DrJ :cheers:

:doublethumbsup:

Thank you sir, good to be back.

I didn't say it was bad.

I said H1Bs may offer more initiative than someone who has decided to do nothing for a year.

If I have to pick between two equally qualified people, one who gets to stay in the U.S. as long as she busts her ass for me, and the other who has spent the last year sitting on her ass, the choice is pretty easy.

Just sayin'

I didn't say it was bad.

I said H1Bs may offer more initiative than someone who has decided to do nothing for a year.

If I have to pick between two equally qualified people, one who gets to stay in the U.S. as long as she busts her ass for me, and the other who has spent the last year sitting on her ass, the choice is pretty easy.

Just sayin'

Mainly because you hate America. But let's assume it's someone that cares about this country.

This has always been a problem that is why you have to make your own "splash" so everyone in the company knows who you are and what you do. You have to make people need you. Slacking off is not going to get you that and poor work habits are hard to break.

Most off my job offers came from "word of mouth" recommendations from people who had worked with me. I have been out of the job market since 2009 and still got a couple of good offers last year.

:lol:

So you've been voluntarily out of work for almost four years now, but you're going to lecture people about "slacking off" and "poor work habits"? :overhead:

To your point about your conversation with the IT manager...

First of all, if people are submitting crappy resumes that is not acceptable and not something I can talk about.

As for your other point... this is where India kicks our ass. Their educations are extremely specialized and really focus on building specific skills. I haven't been to college in a while, but the one CS class I took was teaching C++ which was probably even dying at that time. The technical education that Indians receive in their universities is way better than what we have here. In addition to that, there is the prominence of outsourcing tech work to Indian companies with no transparency to the level of qualifications of the people sitting on the other end. They take recent college grads with no experience and throw work at them with a group of "supervisors" that are actually training them as they go. The attrition rate is extremely high because a lot of times as soon as they get some experience they move to a different company where they can make more $$$ within a few months and these companies just cycle through people. Then some of them do this for a year or two and by this point they have a mass of "skills" to put on their resumes and come over here and on the surface look like they are super qualified candidates - moreso than US kids because we don't have similar opportunities here in the US.

BUT... while your IT manager friend may be looking for someone with DB experience, and due to a failure in our universities to focus on these types of skills vs. programming or web design, she can't find anyone who is ready to go. But what's to say that hiring someone with a good math, science, or IT background with good grades couldn't learn this stuff within a few months and be a valuable and very capable employee? The mindset is shifting and many companies want ready made employees who can at least on the surface appear to walk in and do the job Day 1. In my experience a lot of the Indian resumes are highly over-inflated when talking about what "skills" they actually have and if they've used the word in a sentence in their lives it shows up on their resumes (that's a different conversation). So it's not really a lack of talent or a lack of capable people. That's BS. It's that they can get Indians who, on paper, appear to be more qualified and they can pay them much less than what Americans would be asking for the same job.

I just think with the state of unemployment in this country, asking for MORE work visas to be authorized claiming that the US doesn't have qualified people is seriously asinine.

I didn't say it was bad.

Just sayin'

I have no desire to start a career in selling vacuum cleaners door to door so luckily this whole situation will never come to pass.

Did I say anything about having a problem finding a job? I just started sending resumes out yesterday and have already gotten 3 calls. Actually I turned one down already because it was too far from where I want to live.

You will have to bring more than that, FBGheyboy. :thumbsup:

I'm OG here. A little respect please.

First of all, if people are submitting crappy resumes that is not acceptable and not something I can talk about.

As for your other point... this is where India kicks our ass. Their educations are extremely specialized and really focus on building specific skills. I haven't been to college in a while, but the one CS class I took was teaching C++ which was probably even dying at that time. The technical education that Indians receive in their universities is way better than what we have here. In addition to that, there is the prominence of outsourcing tech work to Indian companies with no transparency to the level of qualifications of the people sitting on the other end. They take recent college grads with no experience and throw work at them with a group of "supervisors" that are actually training them as they go. The attrition rate is extremely high because a lot of times as soon as they get some experience they move to a different company where they can make more $$$ within a few months and these companies just cycle through people. Then some of them do this for a year or two and by this point they have a mass of "skills" to put on their resumes and come over here and on the surface look like they are super qualified candidates - moreso than US kids because we don't have similar opportunities here in the US.

BUT... while your IT manager friend may be looking for someone with DB experience, and due to a failure in our universities to focus on these types of skills vs. programming or web design, she can't find anyone who is ready to go. But what's to say that hiring someone with a good math, science, or IT background with good grades couldn't learn this stuff within a few months and be a valuable and very capable employee? The mindset is shifting and many companies want ready made employees who can at least on the surface appear to walk in and do the job Day 1. In my experience a lot of the Indian resumes are highly over-inflated when talking about what "skills" they actually have and if they've used the word in a sentence in their lives it shows up on their resumes (that's a different conversation). So it's not really a lack of talent or a lack of capable people. That's BS. It's that they can get Indians who, on paper, appear to be more qualified and they can pay them much less than what Americans would be asking for the same job.

I just think with the state of unemployment in this country, asking for MORE work visas to be authorized claiming that the US doesn't have qualified people is seriously asinine.

And this is why some of the guys I work with are lamenting their decision to come here. They'd like to move into management, but it's saturated here and there's few management positions to be had. Over there it's easy to move into these positions in almost no time.

I think this also makes a lot of the IT execs and managers here especially risk averse in comparison to years past. They lose their job, and it's a rough go finding a new one. They're not going to take a chance on some guy with math skills being trainable in the field, there's chance and risk involved and that's the last thing they want to do right now.

As for your other point... this is where India kicks our ass. Their educations are extremely specialized and really focus on building specific skills. I haven't been to college in a while, but the one CS class I took was teaching C++ which was probably even dying at that time. The technical education that Indians receive in their universities is way better than what we have here. In addition to that, there is the prominence of outsourcing tech work to Indian companies with no transparency to the level of qualifications of the people sitting on the other end. They take recent college grads with no experience and throw work at them with a group of "supervisors" that are actually training them as they go. The attrition rate is extremely high because a lot of times as soon as they get some experience they move to a different company where they can make more $$ within a few months and these companies just cycle through people. Then some of them do this for a year or two and by this point they have a mass of "skills" to put on their resumes and come over here and on the surface look like they are super qualified candidates - moreso than US kids because we don't have similar opportunities here in the US.

The bolded is essentially what I said our firm does in the part you didn't include in the quote. People can learn new skills... well, some better than others. Focusing on stuff like specific language experience is not seeing the forest for the trees.

The bolded is essentially what I said our firm does in the part you didn't include in the quote. People can learn new skills... well, some better than others. Focusing on stuff like specific language experience is not seeing the forest for the trees.

Then you're doing good Jerry. :thumbsup:

Also.... your new career really does sound interesting and I'm happy for you. I would love to do something different at this point (I got burnt out and tired of the same BS all the time which is a small part of the reason I took the last year off) but I have no idea what that would be.

Also.... your new career really does sound interesting and I'm happy for you. I would love to do something different at this point (I got burnt out and tired of the same BS all the time which is a small part of the reason I took the last year off) but I have no idea what that would be.

Agreed, it does sound pretty interesting. It seems to me that a big part of the problem (in terms of unemployment numbers and all) is that our workforce simply hasn't been agile enough, especially compared to these other countries you are talking about. This sounds like a pretty cool way to go about addressing that.

Thanks. It is interesting, very different than what I was doing, and providing a value which is way more tangible than what I used to do. I'm no Mother Teresa though -- I'm working with a client who is building up their Mexico call center (vs. the US) because they want to limit their US size due to Obamacare.

That being said, perhaps the most personally gratifying part is working with individual people to learn about themselves, their strengths (and weaknesses), and discussing what they might want to do with their careers. :thumbsup:

Thanks. It is interesting, very different than what I was doing, and providing a value which is way more tangible than what I used to do. I'm no Mother Teresa though -- I'm working with a client who is building up their Mexico call center (vs. the US) because they want to limit their US size due to Obamacare.

That being said, perhaps the most personally gratifying part is working with individual people to learn about themselves, their strengths (and weaknesses), and discussing what they might want to do with their careers. :thumbsup:

:mad:

alsomaybecanyougivemesomecareercounselling? :D

:mad:

alsomaybecanyougivemesomecareercounselling? :D

You are welcome to take our assessment if you want -- I offered it to everyone here back in November, about 10 folks did it. It only takes about 5-7 minutes to complete. If you are interested, PM me your name and email.

You are welcome to take our assessment if you want -- I offered it to everyone here back in November, about 10 folks did it. It only takes about 5-7 minutes to complete. If you are interested, PM me your name and email.

I remember you talking about this, but what does your assessment assess?

Agreed, it does sound pretty interesting. It seems to me that a big part of the problem (in terms of unemployment numbers and all) is that our workforce simply hasn't been agile enough, especially compared to these other countries you are talking about. This sounds like a pretty cool way to go about addressing that.

I didn't want to overlook this. This is absolutely true. India is kicking our ass. However that does not mean that there aren't smart people out there looking for work that can do the exact same thing India is doing, but it just takes a little bit more patience on the part of the hiring company. There is absolutely no focking reason whatsoever in this economy that tech companies are saying they can't find US talent. Our educational system has failed to come through in training kids on the specialized skills that companies are looking for. That doesn't mean there aren't any capable US citizens of filling these jobs.

I didn't want to overlook this. This is absolutely true. India is kicking our ass. However that does not mean that there aren't smart people out there looking for work that can do the exact same thing India is doing, but it just takes a little bit more patience on the part of the hiring company. There is absolutely no focking reason whatsoever in this economy that tech companies are saying they can't find US talent. Our educational system has failed to come through in training kids on the specialized skills that companies are looking for. That doesn't mean there aren't any capable US citizens of filling these jobs.

Googity Goo

Thanks to this thread, all the banner ads I'm seeing now are for Monster.com and various trade schools :lol:

:ninja:

Thanks to this thread, all the banner ads I'm seeing now are for Monster.com and various trade schools :lol:

:ninja:

:o

How do they do that?

I remember you talking about this, but what does your assessment assess?

The results don't say "you should do job X or Y." It talks more about your natural behaviors, e.g. task or people focus, proactive or reactive, risk or averse, willingness to delegate, etc. It also describes your management and influencing styles, and ends with a "management strategies" which means "ways to motivate you to enjoy your job." These would be the kinds of things for you to look for in a career. Typically with friends I'll chat through the results and discuss what they mean in the context of their interests and/or career.

With clients we set up a similar set of target behaviors, and we can do a fit/gap analysis against them. In general there are no good or bad results -- they are what they are -- unless you are comparing to job expectations.

The results don't say "you should do job X or Y." It talks more about your natural behaviors, e.g. task or people focus, proactive or reactive, risk or averse, willingness to delegate, etc. It also describes your management and influencing styles, and ends with a "management strategies" which means "ways to motivate you to enjoy your job." These would be the kinds of things for you to look for in a career. Typically with friends I'll chat through the results and discuss what they mean in the context of their interests and/or career.

With clients we set up a similar set of target behaviors, and we can do a fit/gap analysis against them. In general there are no good or bad results -- they are what they are -- unless you are comparing to job expectations.

I would be interested in doing the assessment. I'd even pay for it if it's reasonable.

I'm looking to make a change right now. And while I THINK I know the answers to most of those questions, I'd be interested in an assessment.

It was probably coded by some smart Indian folks. :dunno:

Typically, those are handled by tracking cookies. If you use a browser that stops tracking cookies, then those banners are not targeted. However, I think that you can't stay logged in. :dunno:

I would be interested in doing the assessment. I'd even pay for it if it's reasonable.

I'm looking to make a change right now. And while I THINK I know the answers to most of those questions, I'd be interested in an assessment.

As much as I'd love to charge you, I can't for a variety of reasons. You can buy me a beer if I'm ever in... Dallas I think you are? :cheers:

Anyway, if you are interested, PM me with your NAME and email. I emphasize "name" because I need it to submit the survey, but none of you mooks seem to ever provide it. I'm heading out for the morning so I'll check later in the day.

:lol:

So you've been voluntarily out of work for almost four years now, but you're going to lecture people about "slacking off" and "poor work habits"? :overhead:

Well I started working at age 12 and I worked my butt off for the next 40 years and was able to retire in my 50s. That was my goal and I am telling you how I accomplished that. What are your employment goals Worms? Sitting on a FF message board all day?

It really is sad how you lefties hate anyone more successful than you and attempt to diminish their accomplishments.

BTW: Your liberal Government only allows me to make $14,100 before I am penalized. :dunno:

That is because our education system's priorities are social change, free birth control, political correctness, gun control, etc. :dunno: It seems obvious to me.

Well I started working at age 12 and I worked my butt off for the next 40 years and was able to retire in my 50s. That was my goal and I am telling you how I accomplished that. What are your employment goals Worms? Sitting on a FF message board all day?

It really is sad how you lefties hate anyone more successful than you and attempt to diminish their accomplishments.

BTW: Your liberal Government only allows me to make $14,100 before I am penalized. :dunno:

You accomplished it because the government offered your wife a fat check to retire in her 50s. That's your accomplishment in life? Marrying a woman with a good government pension?

And stop talking because I really don't feel like going to find all of your posts again that completely contradict what you are saying here.

Just shut up.

You accomplished it because the government offered your wife a fat check to retire in her 50s. That's your accomplishment in life? Marrying a woman with a good government pension?

And stop talking because I really don't feel like going to find all of your posts again that completely contradict what you are saying here.

Just shut up.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=579192&st=0&p=12758461entry12758461

:dunno:

Just shut up.

I guess I hit a nerve with all of you people with pathetic work ethics. :banana: Maybe you should listen to what I am saying since you can't find work and I am turning it down. You can't even beat out foreigners from India. :lol:

You're using these tests to identify candidates for hire, right?

What's to stop someone from rigging the test? Answer in a certain way that makes you look like a highly adaptable leader of men.

Does the test have some kind of built in bullsh!t detector, like the MMPI?