Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

NFL Mock Draft - Version 1.0

3 QB's in the top 10?!?! :shocking: If that happens then the NFL has completely lost it's minds. NO QB is worthy of a top 10 (or top 20) pick, yet alone 3 of them. The 3 being selected may not even include the best QB in the draft, Tyler Wilson. I'd be very surprised if the draft plays out like this, but it's still pretty early.

An aging defensive line is just as big a need, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them address that with this pick either.

Gotta disagree there. After Harvin, there's very little at WR. I like Wright's potential as a Percy-Light, but Jenkins sucks, Simpson's been a disappointment, Greg Childs is coming off a major injury, and Aromashodu is worthless.

Jared Allen is 30, and has plenty of gas left in the tank. Robison's 29, and looks likewise. Griffen's a freak who plays DT on pass downs. Kevin Williams is aging and isn't what he used to be, and a second DT is a need, but WR is need number 1 by far (other than maybe QB). However, if the Vikes go BPA, D-line is always a possibility.

3 QB's in the top 10?!?! :shocking: If that happens then the NFL has completely lost it's minds. NO QB is worthy of a top 10 (or top 20) pick, yet alone 3 of them. The 3 being selected may not even include the best QB in the draft, Tyler Wilson. I'd be very surprised if the draft plays out like this, but it's still pretty early.

While I agree that this year's QB class seems relatively weak, I'll give you 6 reasons why I wouldn't be surprised to see them drafted this highly:

1 - The NFL has become all about the QB. Moreso than any other time in NFL history, a team needs great QB play to win games consistently. It doesn't matter how strong your defense is, or how many playmakers you have, or how brilliant your coaching staff is if you aren't getting solid QB play.

2 - The 3 teams in this mock draft that selected a QB all currently have embarrassingly bad QB situations. Matt Cassel sucks and he'll be cut. Brady Quinn obviously isn't the answer. Ryan Fitzpatrick put up decent fantasy #'s but sucks in real life, and he too will likely be cut. Kevin Kolb can't stay healthy, and hasn't proven to be an NFL starter, so he isn't the long term answer.

3 - The 3 teams in this mock draft that selected a QB all have a solid team from a roster make-up. Buffalo may have the most work to do, but they have a promising defense to go along with C.J. Spiller and a great O-Line. Arizona could use 8 new offensive lineman, but they have Fitzgerald and a premiere defense. Kansas City was picked by many to compete with Denver in the AFC West. They have a ton of talent on defense, and if they retain Albet & Bowe, their offense will be talented (minus the QB position).

4 - All 3 of these teams have new coaching staffs. Most of the time, new coaches taking over a rebuilding franchise will want to bring in "their guy". These coaches aren't tied to Cassel/Quinn/Kolb/Skelton/Fitzpatrick - so they are more likely to move in a new direction.

5 - The free agent QB market is extremely thin. It's not everyday that Peyton Manning is a free agent. What QB can these teams pursue in free agency? Flacco? Vick? Alex Smith? Tim Tebow? Good luck selling your fan base on a free agent QB.

6 - Recent success of rookie QB's. We all knew Andrew Luck would be great. We all suspected that Cam Newton and RG3 would be good. But nobody really knew about guys like Wilson, Dalton, and Kaepernick. Obviously Kaep didn't play as a rookie, but it shows that young QB's are capable of stepping in to provide an immediate impact.

Now I don't think any of this year's rookie QB's are as talented as any of the recent QB's that I mentioned. I haven't really looked into the QB class yet, but from everything I've read, its very weak and may not even have a legitimate Round 1 prospect in it. But when you look at some combination of the above factors, I can definitely see the QB's stock rising drastically leading into April's draft.

drafting a QB in the top 3 is just plain silly and 3 in the top 3 is crazy.

better off giving Jamarcus Russell a winger.

While I agree that this year's QB class seems relatively weak, I'll give you 6 reasons why I wouldn't be surprised to see them drafted this highly:

1 - The NFL has become all about the QB. Moreso than any other time in NFL history, a team needs great QB play to win games consistently. It doesn't matter how strong your defense is, or how many playmakers you have, or how brilliant your coaching staff is if you aren't getting solid QB play.

2 - The 3 teams in this mock draft that selected a QB all currently have embarrassingly bad QB situations. Matt Cassel sucks and he'll be cut. Brady Quinn obviously isn't the answer. Ryan Fitzpatrick put up decent fantasy #'s but sucks in real life, and he too will likely be cut. Kevin Kolb can't stay healthy, and hasn't proven to be an NFL starter, so he isn't the long term answer.

3 - The 3 teams in this mock draft that selected a QB all have a solid team from a roster make-up. Buffalo may have the most work to do, but they have a promising defense to go along with C.J. Spiller and a great O-Line. Arizona could use 8 new offensive lineman, but they have Fitzgerald and a premiere defense. Kansas City was picked by many to compete with Denver in the AFC West. They have a ton of talent on defense, and if they retain Albet & Bowe, their offense will be talented (minus the QB position).

4 - All 3 of these teams have new coaching staffs. Most of the time, new coaches taking over a rebuilding franchise will want to bring in "their guy". These coaches aren't tied to Cassel/Quinn/Kolb/Skelton/Fitzpatrick - so they are more likely to move in a new direction.

5 - The free agent QB market is extremely thin. It's not everyday that Peyton Manning is a free agent. What QB can these teams pursue in free agency? Flacco? Vick? Alex Smith? Tim Tebow? Good luck selling your fan base on a free agent QB.

6 - Recent success of rookie QB's. We all knew Andrew Luck would be great. We all suspected that Cam Newton and RG3 would be good. But nobody really knew about guys like Wilson, Dalton, and Kaepernick. Obviously Kaep didn't play as a rookie, but it shows that young QB's are capable of stepping in to provide an immediate impact.

Now I don't think any of this year's rookie QB's are as talented as any of the recent QB's that I mentioned. I haven't really looked into the QB class yet, but from everything I've read, its very weak and may not even have a legitimate Round 1 prospect in it. But when you look at some combination of the above factors, I can definitely see the QB's stock rising drastically leading into April's draft.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. But this line of thinking leads to draft picks like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder, and even reaches like Sanchez, Locker, and Tannehill among others. Going back through the last several NFL drafts, teams have missed on QB's a lot more than they've hit in the first round, especially when they've reached for questionable talent at the position in the early 1st round.

Those teams you mentioned can still get similar QB talent in the 2nd or 3rd round or by trading up in to the late 1st round if they really like someone. Wilson and Kaepernick were both drafted after the 1st round. Rodgers was a late 1st rounder. Brees was a 2nd rounder. Brady was a 6th rounder. Wasting a premium pick on a QB this year would be very foolish in my opinion when there is no Andrew Luck or RG3 type talent available. Just my opinion.

drafting a QB in the top 3 is just plain silly and 3 in the top 3 is crazy.

better off giving Jamarcus Russell a winger.

What mock draft were you reading?

While his talent & ability are elite, I think Jarvis Jones is going to find it tough to crack the top 5 picks due to his health risks. GM's drafting in the Top 5-10 picks are gonna have to get a 100% beyond a doubt recommendation from their medical staff to select him that early. I don't foresee a Daquan Bowers fall from grace but not #2 overall.

Jets -

My hope for them would be to trade back into the Dion Jordan / Chance Warmack area. I just don't love anyone at 9 and don't want to see them go with Glennon that early. We have many needs and moving back to the 15 range and adding a 3rd or whatever it takes these days would be great. Only issue is, I don't see any player teams would wan't to move up for. the only teams with bad QB's situations or situations all draft ahead of the Jets anyway with the exception of maybe Minnesota all the way down in the 20's. Some DE would really need to turn heads at the combine..

The Jets need an OLB and a Guard more than anything. With Holmes back and hopefully a resigning of Edwards plus Kerley.... as sick as it sounds to say, they can ride out the year with Sanchez since they can't shed that contract. They could also use a RB and likely a Safety since i can't see them keeping both Landry AND Bell.

If they can fix the offensive line, maybe Sanchez can manage the game like he did a few years ago with similar WR's at his disposal. They can take a shot on a 3rd or 4th round QB to come in and compete ala Russ Wilson. The key will be finding a game changing RB and replenishing the Linebacker core after they cut Scott and Pace.

i like Tyler Wilson in this years QB class.

I like Matt Barkley in this year's QB class... to be selling insurance 5 years from now.

if either of the top 2 OGs are there at 18, i see dallas going that route. it wouldn't surprise me to see jones make a move up, though i think it would be unsound following last year's move. this is a really deep DL draft, so i would expect DAL to move up or down in the 1st to grab an interior OLman, and looking hard at the DL in the 2nd and 3rd.

but the board is really going to dictate this.

as much as Houston needs a WR they are going defense in the 1st round most likely ILB. WR or S in the 2nd and 3rd.

I pray that the Chiefs take Geno Smith so the Eagles have a shot at Joeckel or Star. I want no parts of any QB in the first this year.