Sign in to follow this  
lambert58

Draft Discussion/Commentary...

I see by write ups that it looks like the pick "closed" the draft to current. With that theory, if someone had been right behind waiting to pick (which granted they weren't ) they no should by rule be able without question be entitled to be on clock and weigh all that decision on their pick without that option changing.

there was a precedent but I dont remember what it is, and looked through all our old threads and nothing stood out as likely discussing it without going through threads individually.

I like the pick being final once another owner has posted a pick following your post. We need to have some flexibiliy just to fix common mistakes which might occur, but don't want people to change picks based on what they see happening after their pick. The next posted pick finalizing the pick before makes sense to me.

there was a precedent but I dont remember what it is, and looked through all our old threads and nothing stood out as likely discussing it without going through threads individually.

I like the pick being final once another owner has posted a pick following your post. We need to have some flexibiliy just to fix common mistakes which might occur, but don't want people to change picks based on what they see happening after their pick. The next posted pick finalizing the pick before makes sense to me.

I like this but I also think if you are on the clock your pick shiuld be final as well.

Okay, I'll be the first to ###### about my draw in the draft. Im sure others were hurt more so far.... Cardinals come to mind

The Rays don't have many shared "studs" so ofcourse I drew behind Toronto, bye bye Bautista :wave: . They do have a few B+ type players, so ofcourse I draw the middle third of the draft and most of the teams that share my B+ players drew ahead of me for the 1st and 3rd rounds (talent is pretty washed up for me by round 3) so the only round I was able to "win" was Shields in round 2. Had the Braves drafted after me in round 1, I may have been able to snag BJ Upton as well as Crawford.... i dont mind having to roll the dice between the two outfielders, a healthy crawford is the better player but thats a big ?... but seeing many teams able to draft players as good as or better than Upton in round 3 makes me sad. No such luck here.

Picking 10th also doesn't really do me a ton of favors when it comes time for the Supp. so kind of double focked there.

BJ upton, Rafael Soriano ............... Jeff Keppinger. Straight flexibility play on my part as he lists as a 1B/2B/3B

Okay, I'll be the first to ###### about my draw in the draft. Im sure others were hurt more so far.... Cardinals come to mind

The Rays don't have many shared "studs" so ofcourse I drew behind Toronto, bye bye Bautista :wave: . They do have a few B+ type players, so ofcourse I draw the middle third of the draft and most of the teams that share my B+ players drew ahead of me for the 1st and 3rd rounds (talent is pretty washed up for me by round 3) so the only round I was able to "win" was Shields in round 2. Had the Braves drafted after me in round 1, I may have been able to snag BJ Upton as well as Crawford.... i dont mind having to roll the dice between the two outfielders, a healthy crawford is the better player but thats a big ?... but seeing many teams able to draft players as good as or better than Upton in round 3 makes me sad. No such luck here.

Picking 10th also doesn't really do me a ton of favors when it comes time for the Supp. so kind of double focked there.

BJ upton, Rafael Soriano ............... Jeff Keppinger. Straight flexibility play on my part as he lists as a 1B/2B/3B

This type of draft can really penalize teams toward the back of it. My top 4 targets were gone in the first 7 picks but that is just the luck of it. Last year, with the exception of Pujols, I finished 2nd without those top 4 (Pujols, Haren, Beltran, and Berkman) but this year due to the Rockies not being in I get Holliday. So I can't complain too much.

so far I have nabbed:

-Beltran

-M Cabrera

-A Escobar

-E Santana

-De La Rosa

and have lost out on:

-Greinke

-Shields

-Keppinger

-Cain

I sure would have liked to have been able to get Greinke or Shields over the two starters I was able to grab but thought I might miss on both of those. However, if I didn't grab Beltran then my OF would be looking much different. I do like how my team is shaping up:

C Salvador Perez

1B Eric Hosmer

2B Getz/ Giavotella

SS Alicedes Escobar

3B Mike Moustakas

OF Carlos Beltran

OF Alex Gordon

OF Melky Cabrera

Util Billy Butler

SP Ervin Santana

SP Jorge De La Rosa

RP Greg Holland

RP Kelvim Herrera

I am really starting to feel like this team in the next few years will be as potent as what the Rays or Phillies Homers teams might have been just a few years back. My core players should continue to blossom and some other guys will eventually make their way up like Bubba Starling. Sure wish Will Myers would have gotten in one MLB at-bat with the Royals before being shipped off to the Rays though.

Yeah, midway through the third I've missed out on:

Adrian Gonzalez

Mark Teixeira

RA Dickey

Chris Davis

Nelson Cruz

Joe Nathan

CJ Wilson

AJ Pierzynski

Lance Berkman

:wall:

I sure would have liked to have been able to get Greinke or Shields over the two starters I was able to grab but thought I might miss on both of those. However, if I didn't grab Beltran then my OF would be looking much different. I do like how my team is shaping up:

The decision to pass on Greinke is the one that confused me. The odds of finding a high-end outfielder in the supplemental draft are greater than finding a starter at Greinke's level (unless you land a top 3 pick).

As for my squad, I obviously fared much better at the top this year. Losing Mr. Triple Crown to Miami last year was the difference between a playoff run and finishing 1.5 games out.

i dont know if keppinger would have made it back to me for round 5 but I was deciding between him and Balfour. Was hoping Brewers would let him slide. :wall:

so far

Landed

Crawford

Shields

Keppinger

Rodney

Lost

Bautista

Upton

Soriano

Balfour

i would likely trade

I got crap to choose from. :pointstosky:

im having buyers remorse with keppinger. i had a feeling you didnt have much left to choose from... not sure of keppinger would have made it through the giants twice and astros twice back to me at 5.10.

but that is the beauty and beast of this draft.

Yeah, midway through the third I've missed out on:

Adrian Gonzalez

Mark Teixeira

RA Dickey

Chris Davis

Nelson Cruz

Joe Nathan

CJ Wilson

AJ Pierzynski

Lance Berkman

:wall:

Heck, I was happy to grab Ludwick in the 3rd before you could grab him later. In Cincy he is a solid 20 HR and 80 RBI guy in that offense..

so far I have nabbed:

-Beltran

-M Cabrera

-A Escobar

-E Santana

-De La Rosa

and have lost out on:

-Greinke

-Shields

-Keppinger

-Cain

C Salvador Perez

1B Eric Hosmer

2B Getz/ Giavotella

SS Alicedes Escobar

3B Mike Moustakas

OF Carlos Beltran

OF Alex Gordon

OF Melky Cabrera

Util Billy Butler

SP Ervin Santana

SP Jorge De La Rosa

RP Greg Holland

RP Kelvim Herrera

I am really starting to feel like this team in the next few years will be as potent as what the Rays or Phillies Homers teams might have been just a few years back. My core players should continue to blossom and some other guys will eventually make their way up like Bubba Starling. Sure wish Will Myers would have gotten in one MLB at-bat with the Royals before being shipped off to the Rays though.

you not grabbing Greinke confused the hell out of me too... and cost me Beltran.

you not grabbing Greinke confused the hell out of me too... and cost me Beltran.

very confusing. in his dice roll, he wrote something about the greinke sweepstakes, only to pass on him. I expected him to go Greinke and you to take Beltran, but i feel like he thought I would sleep on or go in a different direction than Shields so he wanted to grab a bat while he could :dunno:

Not quite as savvy as if Zero had let Prince Fielder slide, but still pretty savvy.

im just thankful I was able to select one closer. I'm probably one of the few teams without an exclusive closer. Last year I managed the marlins and had Heath Bell and that worked out so well :lol: but I had 0 other closers to choose from on draft day. This year I had 3

im just thankful I was able to select one closer. I'm probably one of the few teams without an exclusive closer. Last year I managed the marlins and had Heath Bell and that worked out so well :lol: but I had 0 other closers to choose from on draft day. This year I had 3

Last year i got beat to Papelbon by the Phillies owner. But that was ok because Andrew Bailey was my exclusive. Didnt even blink when the Yankmee's owner nabbed Alfredo Aceves in the someteenth round. Then on SpringTraining Day 2, Bailey breaks his vagina and BAM! im screwed. THEN i traded for JJ Putz, and he got hurt like 10 saves later.

This year i f0cking got Papelbon. And i still have Bailey. And i drafted Hanrahan. F0ck losing "saves" every f0cking week this season.

I'm that clever bastage who every year seals up saves early by locking up Brian Wilson and Joakim Soria or whoever, while some other idiot wastes roster space on Sergio Romo and Addison Reed and blunders away picks on projects like Mike Trout.

Last year i got beat to Papelbon by the Phillies owner. But that was ok because Andrew Bailey was my exclusive. Didnt even blink when the Yankmee's owner nabbed Alfredo Aceves in the someteenth round. THEN i traded for JJ Putz, and he got hurt like 10 saves later.

This year i f0cking got Papelbon. And i still have Bailey. And i drafted Hanrahan. F0ck losing "saves" every f0cking week this season.

I drafted Jose Valverde, correctly predicted him to slip from his 2011 numbers and traded him and the 7th pick in the supplemental for Ryan Madson and the 9th pick. Madson blew out his arm five days later, and the difference between 7th pick and 9th was Cy Young vs respectable starter.

I'm that clever bastage who every year seals up saves early by locking up Brian Wilson and Joakim Soria or whoever, while some other idiot wastes roster space on Sergio Romo and Addison Reed and blunders away picks on projects like Mike Trout.

I didnt prioritize Jarrod Saltalamachia last season ( I mean really...the guy had done nothing since single A ball).

I ended up starting George Kotteras about 75 billion times the first half of last year. As a Brewers fan, im sure you'll appreciate that.

Last year i got beat to Papelbon by the Phillies owner. But that was ok because Andrew Bailey was my exclusive. Didnt even blink when the Yankmee's owner nabbed Alfredo Aceves in the someteenth round. Then on SpringTraining Day 2, Bailey breaks his vagina and BAM! im screwed. THEN i traded for JJ Putz, and he got hurt like 10 saves later.

This is the second year in a row that my exlusives help me with saves. Chris Perez and Jason Motte aren't sexy... but damn effective. :overhead:

And what exactly the hell am I going to do with Lorenzo Cain that he's worth a 4th round pick for me, somebody answer me?

hes got promise in KC, no?

i took a focking journeyman infielder in the 3rd

Wil Myers needs to be called up no later than May to help my anemic offense

And what exactly the hell am I going to do with Lorenzo Cain that he's worth a 4th round pick for me, somebody answer me?

Have you not seen my first 4 draft picks?? I will trade you straight up for yours..

also, if any team finds themselves with 3 or 4 closers, hit me up for a minor trade.

Forgiveness, please. I'm still getting used to the idea of a league where "4th round pick" doesn't mean, like, Jacoby Ellsbury or Jay Bruce or something.

Lol.. It's all good. It's a different league but a lot of fun. Just for point of reference though..

1.12. Colby Rasmus - without a strong spring and quick start could find himself benched.

2.5. Rafael Furcal - Torn ligament in his elbow and not able to throw

3.12. Ryan Ludwick - Decent 4th outfielder

4.5. Tyler Greene - Might be beat at at SS for HOUSTON!!

I could be 0-4 at starters with my first 4 picks. :wall:

Forgiveness, please. I'm still getting used to the idea of a league where "4th round pick" doesn't mean, like, Jacoby Ellsbury or Jay Bruce or something.

I got Ells in the 27th round :thumbsup:

Lol.. It's all good. It's a different league but a lot of fun. Just for point of reference though..

1.12. Colby Rasmus - without a strong spring and quick start could find himself benched.

2.5. Rafael Furcal - Torn ligament in his elbow and not able to throw

3.12. Ryan Ludwick - Decent 4th outfielder

4.5. Tyler Greene - Might be beat at at SS for HOUSTON!!

I could be 0-4 at starters with my first 4 picks. :wall:

yikes, that is focking bad man. Those swiped before you were Pujols, Berkman, Beltran and Haren? :shocking: I didn't remember Haren played for the Cards. I think it's safe to say you win the biggest gripe award.

and here I am bitching about my start.

Carl Crawford - figured I had to choose between Craw and BJ. Crawford is looking decent to start the year but still iffy with his throwing. I always liked him and thought maybe there was an outside shot that the Braves went in other directions after Justin Upton.

James Shields - workhorse, pick I am most happy about. Hopefully the KC offense is trending up to give him some support.

Jeff Keppinger - may have talked myself into him due to his multi-positional flexibility. Coming off a broken leg. Supposed to be every day starter at 3rd though

Fernando Rodney - my 2nd choice after Soriano. Was a waste of life before 2012.

honorable mention to the Diamondbacks for losing out on Upton and Haren.... i was mildly surprised they passed on Prado

yikes, that is focking bad man. Those swiped before you were Pujols, Berkman, Beltran and Haren? :shocking: I didn't remember Haren played for the Cards. I think it's safe to say you win the biggest gripe award.

and here I am bitching about my start.

Carl Crawford - figured I had to choose between Craw and BJ. Crawford is looking decent to start the year but still iffy with his throwing. I always liked him and thought maybe there was an outside shot that the Braves went in other directions after Justin Upton.

James Shields - workhorse, pick I am most happy about. Hopefully the KC offense is trending up to give him some support.

Jeff Keppinger - may have talked myself into him due to his multi-positional flexibility. Coming off a broken leg. Supposed to be every day starter at 3rd though

Fernando Rodney - my 2nd choice after Soriano. Was a waste of life before 2012.

honorable mention to the Diamondbacks for losing out on Upton and Haren.... i was mildly surprised they passed on Prado

Haren came up as a rookie with the Cardinals and then was traded his second year for Mark Mulder.

I expected to lose Pujols but I really thought 29 Guest would take Pence in the first giving me a shot at Berkman in the 2nd, and Beltran would fall because CMH would grab Greinke..

If Crawford is healthy you have a stud and Shields is a great pick for you as well.. Keppinger is so valuable because of the positions.

hes got promise in KC, no?

i took a focking journeyman infielder in the 3rd

Wil Myers needs to be called up no later than May to help my anemic offense

I like Cain and hope he can rebound this year.

Asbestos Underwear is not your friend..

I rarely wear underwear, but when I do it's usually something unusual which chicks dig.

Guard: consider the actions of your team's junk heap pitcher today an act of war. :mad:

It's only 10 weeks...

:unsure:

It's only 10 weeks...

:unsure:

I'm more concerned with the part where he comes back in ten weeks without any of the game preparation from spring training.