Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

First Non Official FFToday Mock Draft Discussion

sorry guys give me a few minutes to see who has been taken. been sick all day

Take your time. Be sure to read above. Voltaire hooked up an MFL draft site....

sorry guys give me a few minutes to see who has been taken. been sick all day

Prolly your stomach reacting to that DMC pick...

:headbanger:

could be

Larry Fitz - such WR depth this year its amazing. this 5th spot seems to be a tough one, glad i took it. Arians + a new QB of any kind should vault Fitz higher than he was selected in this mock, i believe.

Larry Fitz - such WR depth this year its amazing. this 5th spot seems to be a tough one, glad i took it. Arians + a new QB of any kind should vault Fitz higher than he was selected in this mock, i believe.

If Arians can keep Palmer upright Larry should be in for a lot more points this year. Any dynasty owners have to be stoked about now.

I drafted Miller because the rbs are going fast.

T Rich

D Murray

P Harvin

L Miller

I'll get some wrs eventually...

MFL has a draft comment feature where you can put a comment about your pick.

I added mine for the first 4.

We've got some great momentum :thumbsup:

If Arians can keep Palmer upright Larry should be in for a lot more points this year. Any dynasty owners have to be stoked about now.

I drafted Miller because the rbs are going fast.

T Rich

D Murray

P Harvin

L Miller

I'll get some wrs eventually...

Yup...in hindsight I would've taken Miller instead of Newton. The remaining RB's are very...MEH! In my regular leagues, I might be able to wait until the 5th round for Miller. QB's are going slow in this mock. Maybe because of the 4 pts per passing TD??? All 3 of my leagues are 6pts/pass TD. Good mock, and pace is picking up.

i think the pace is fine. its the first mock of the year. we dont need to bang it out in 5 days

I would like to file a complaint ! White Wonder picked Larry Fitz and I wanted him !

I would like to file a complaint ! White Wonder picked Larry Fitz and I wanted him !

im trying to assemble the all 2011 team here

nice nicks pick. i thought about him when i took fitz

nice nicks pick. i thought about him when i took fitz

Thanks. I'm bullish on Nicks this season. He's now fully removed from that injury and I anticipate another 1,000 yard season in 2013. There's a lot of value in the WR position. The fact that we're in round five and many teams have two quality receivers is amazing. This is going to be a tough season to warrant reaching at almost any position other than running back. I wanted to round out my starting receiving corps and these two fit perfectly. I also anticipate Dwayne Bowe in PPR leagues to be a monster in Andy Reid's system.

I know i'm going to get flack for taking Mathews, but I needed a 2nd RB and he has potential atleast in the 5th round. Let the DND talk begin...

None here. I was contemplating it at the turn. To think that both he and McFadden have slipped so far down the draft boards. With new offensive schemes ahead for both players, one might emerge as a great buy (relatively) low.

And there it is. CK7 goes in the 5th round. Man...I don't think he's going to be on a single one of my teams this year. His price is going to skyrocket as it gets closer to September

I'm liking WhiteWonder's team through five rounds. If health were a guarantee in fantasy, his team thus far would rape and pillage leagues globally

I was interested to see where james jones and jordy would go in relation to each other. I like jones quite a bit more at the moment. He would gave been my selection if amendola was gone

And there it is. CK7 goes in the 5th round. Man...I don't think he's going to be on a single one of my teams this year. His price is going to skyrocket as it gets closer to September

I know what you mean, I was hoping to grab him next round as well. I agree his value is going to keep going as we get closer to the season, wouldn't be surprised to see him coming off the board in the 3rd come August. :cry:

If I was going QB Kap would have been my pick there. It's a pick I've made from the same draft spot.

The Jordy vs Jones thing is interesting. One of the reasons I like doing these mocks is because it starts to give you a sense of how you value guys within your perceived tiers.

I'm in the Jones camp too.

Jordy seems like a better deep threat and might hit more home runs but Jones seemed to be Rodgers most trusted wr in the redzone last year.

Week 15 Bears 3 td highlights:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Week-15-James-Jones-highlights/c0097c1a-73c5-4fc1-849f-a946e046d1da

He was on the field 91.5 percent of the time according to ProFootballFocus.com, including two games over the course of the regular season and postseason where he didn't miss a snap. In the playoff particular with Jennings back, Jones put up the best 2 game total.

First number is catches-second is targets if that makes sense. Cobb has rushes added.

vs Minn

Jennings 4-6-61

Jones 4-4-51

Nelson 3-5-51

Cobb 1-2-7, 2-6

vs San Fran

Jones 4-6-87-1

Jennings 6-8-54-1

Nelson 4-5-35

Cobb 5-6-24, 2-23

The thing I like about Jones too, compared to maybe some other wrs bunched up on a good passing team and competing for targets which he is, is that Green Bay doesn't have a great redzone running game and will throw in close.

I think Peyton and Brady for instance have running games and lines more capable of punching it in.

I haven't done a draft in a chat forum since 1999. We should be using a site. Actually, I knew better and I should have said something before we started but since you'd mentioned a site so I just assumed we'd do that. I was caught by surprise a bit then didn't want to step on your toes. I did that last year when TBBOM wanted to draft Twelve Geeks in the forums... no, No NO NO! NOOOO!!!

It's not too late to switch. I could set up a MFL site and enter all picks from this point.

just catching up on some of the chatter i missed yesterday.

while its nice to have the MFL template, i think the main reason for having this draft done in the chat forum style is to contribute something to the FFToday main board. something that allows members to see the draft as it unfolds rather than simply clicking a link to see our progress. :dunno:

i think having both in tandem will work very well

I just got signed into the MFL site now. Should we be making our picks there as well as posting them here?

I just got signed into the MFL site now. Should we be making our picks there as well as posting them here?

It's faster that way. Especially if you will be away from the computer for a while.

It's faster that way. Especially if you will be away from the computer for a while.

K, I'll make sure to start making a draft list. Interesting to start comparing the teams thus far through 5 rounds & the different directions each team is taking in compiling their roster's.

I think most of the discussion and draft pick comments should go here.

The great thing about the MFL site as Voltaire mentioned is that you can choose targets for your next pick and have it autopicked.

I am also adding commentary for each of my picks on the mfl draft recap.

I will move that commentary over here as well post draft.

I think most of the discussion and draft pick comments should go here.

The great thing about the MFL site as Voltaire mentioned is that you can choose targets for your next pick and have it autopicked.

I am also adding commentary for each of my picks on the mfl draft recap.

I will move that commentary over here as well post draft.

I should probably add commentary as well.

I'm thinking the extra flex player made the run of RBs fast with folks able to start 3 RBs people drafted them early.

Also the QBs keep sliding, it's obvious to me why... I have 13 guys that I wouldn't mind starting, the 13th isn't much different than the 6th. So as far as I'm concerned, fellas can knock themselves out. I personally don't mind if I'm the last one with a QB.

At 6.6 I'm four picks away with four WR on this tier so that's a great feeling.

Everybody but cstriker has been to the mfl site. Make sure you change your password. If you learn how to use the pre-draft feature things will pick up.

im simply using the mfl site as a quick reference of the rosters who pick near me

im simply using the mfl site as a quick reference of the rosters who pick near me

You mean everyone's not using the 2012 draft buddy like me? :)

Everybody but cstriker has been to the mfl site. Make sure you change your password. If you learn how to use the pre-draft feature things will pick up.

I check in every hour. so my picks wont delay anyone. But none the less i will sign up for mfl .

Edit: There is no signup option for that league. I have other leagues i am part of on MFL.

I check in every hour. so my picks wont delay anyone. But none the less i will sign up for mfl .

Edit: There is no signup option for that league. I have other leagues i am part of on MFL.

your password is team08. Be sure to change it.

At the rate we are going, it looks like it will be a while before my next pick at 7.12. I'll go ahead and comment on my last picks and my draft so far.

With a glaring need at RB, Ballard was the one player that stood out. I think Brown may be more talented, but he can't stay on the field, and Ballard looked pretty good when given a chance. Ballard's stock seems to be on the rise, and I am happy with him as a RB2. For my 6th pick, I had been thinking about Garcon, who went 2 picks ahead of me. I also considered Decker, but with WW in town, I figured Witten was a safer pick. Plus, it never hurts to have a top 5 TE. So after 6, here is what my team looks like drafting from the 12 hole:

1.12 Brees, Drew NOS QB

2.01 Green, A.J. CIN WR

3.12 Jackson, Vincent TBB WR

4.01 Bush, Reggie DET RB

5.12 Ballard, Vick IND RB

6.01 Witten, Jason DAL TE

I will be better than most at QB, WR and TE. RB will be my weakness unless Bush or Ballard perform at RB1 level. I am curious to see how they use Bush in Detroit. He should catch a lot of passes as he did in his Saints days, but I think he has also matured as a player since then as well. I just need a WR3 to round out my starting lineup. In the later rounds, I will probably focus on more RB's with upside hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

At the rate we are going, it looks like it will be a while before my next pick at 7.12. I'll go ahead and comment on my last picks and my draft so far.

With a glaring need at RB, Ballard was the one player that stood out. I think Brown may be more talented, but he can't stay on the field, and Ballard looked pretty good when given a chance. Ballard's stock seems to be on the rise, and I am happy with him as a RB2. For my 6th pick, I had been thinking about Garcon, who went 2 picks ahead of me. I also considered Decker, but with WW in town, I figured Witten was a safer pick. Plus, it never hurts to have a top 5 TE. So after 6, here is what my team looks like drafting from the 12 hole:

1.12 Brees, Drew NOS QB

2.01 Green, A.J. CIN WR

3.12 Jackson, Vincent TBB WR

4.01 Bush, Reggie DET RB

5.12 Ballard, Vick IND RB

6.01 Witten, Jason DAL TE

I will be better than most at QB, WR and TE. RB will be my weakness unless Bush or Ballard perform at RB1 level. I am curious to see how they use Bush in Detroit. He should catch a lot of passes as he did in his Saints days, but I think he has also matured as a player since then as well. I just need a WR3 to round out my starting lineup. In the later rounds, I will probably focus on more RB's with upside hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

I think Bush, VJax and Witten were great picks. You kind of set yourself up by not taking a RB at the corner the first time and by the time you picked again, a number of teams had three. Ballard should be steady but not spectacular but fills a hole in your starting lineup.

That 12 spot is looking unappealing to me this year. I don't envy you trying to make the best of it. I think I'd go WR/WR at 1/2 and RB/RB at 3/4.

I think Bush, VJax and Witten were great picks. You kind of set yourself up by not taking a RB at the corner the first time and by the time you picked again, a number of teams had three. Ballard should be steady but not spectacular but fills a hole in your starting lineup.

That 12 spot is looking unappealing to me this year. I don't envy you trying to make the best of it. I think I'd go WR/WR at 1/2 and RB/RB at 3/4.

I knew 12 could be tough this year, which is why I wanted to do it. There just wasn't a RB I liked enough at 1.12/2.1 although I did consider Morris. As far as going WR/WR, I still would have gotten Green. I don't think the other WRs I would have gotten are a huge upgrade over V-Jax who I am high on this year. Unless an unexpected RB fell to me at 12, I think I would stick with QB/WR. I was happy getting Brees at 12. I did toy with the idea of Graham or Gronk, but getting Witten were I did was better IMO.

Like Throttlers, it's going to be awhile before I pick again so I'll comment on my draft so far through 6 rounds.

QB - Matt Ryan (6.2)

RB - LeSean McCoy (1.11)

RB - Alfred Morris (2.2)

WR - Wes Welker (3.11)

WR - Andre Johnson (4.2)

WR - Steve Smith (5.11)

The 1st round pick of McCoy was a no-brainer. I was hoping Ray Rice was going to fall to me but he went one pick before me. McCoy was a nice consolation prize. He should be a solid RB1 in this PPR format under Chip Kelly's new offense.

My 2nd round pick of Alfred Morris has been met with mixed reviews. I wanted a starting running back & figured that the pickings would be rather slim by time I picked again at 3.11. The knock on Morris is that he doesn't catch many passes but an undrafted rookie who rushes for 1600+ yards & double digit TD's was hard to pass up. In hindsight I might've stuck with my initial thought of drafting Brandon Marshall & drafting Reggie Bush in the 3rd round.

I liked Welker in the 3rd round since he's a PPR beast & should serve as Peyton's security blanket. It's been a while since Manning has had a receiver with as good a hands as Welker & is always where he needs to be. I thought of drafting Reggie Bush to start in my flex & essentially c#*k block Throttlers from selecting him since he was in need of a running back. Then I would've drafted the next highest rated WR, 3 picks later.

Andre Johnson was my 4.2 pick. I thought of selecting Larry Fitzgerald or either Reggie Wayne here. Carson Palmer had not been traded yet to Arizona so I ruled out Fitz. I like Wayne's quarterback situation better (Luck> Schaub) but eventually selected AJ because the threat of Foster opens up AJ for much more play-action plays. Hopefully he picks up his TD total.

I went with Steve Smith for the same reason I selected AJ. The rushing threat of Cam Newton opens up the field for Steve Smith to get open deep but he's no spring chicken. Could've went with the younger Torrey Smith but went with the enigmatic Smith instead. Thought of trying to beat the run on tight ends with the selection of Tony Gonzalez.

Matt Ryan was my 6th round selection. I decided to solidify my quarterback slot before a run starts on the position in the 6th & 7th rounds. With Julio entering the magical 3rd year for a wideout & Roddy being Mr. Reliable, I like Ryan's prospects entering the 2013 season. The pass defenses in the NFC South are atrocious & Ryan should torch them once again.

Overall I like my team but there was a few other strategies I could've tried but this was the route I took. Blast away fellas!

I knew 12 could be tough this year, which is why I wanted to do it.

I hadn't put any thought whatsoever into how things would shake out. While, I've paid attention to offseason developments without missing a beat- the trades, the rumors, the FAs, the upcoming draft- I'm doing all this research and educating myself on the fly for the first time. It's why I didn't volunteer for the draft until it was slow-boated, I use the time between picks to organize my thoughts and strategies for the next pick.

The reason I chose the 7 spot is because it forces me to work harder. I always have to pay attention whereas on the corners I could get lazy, do my two and tune out for a bit. That I got my #4 overall guy at #7 was gravy.

1.05 - Jamaal Charles, RB, KC

2.08 - Julio Jones, WR, ATL

3.05 - Darren McFadden, RB, Oak

4.08 - Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Ari

5.05 - Danny Amendola, WR, NE

6.08 - Antonio Brown, WR, Pitt

ok, i'll play along.

I believe with my first two selections of Charles and Jones I chose players with high ceilings but also high floors. We know to expect good things from these guys. Charles gets a ++ in my book with Andy Reid coming to town as well as a serviceable QB.

I took DMC a little earlier than I would normally like but the selection was slightly dictated by where I picked. I had a tier of RB and knew that none of them would make it all the way back to me by 4.08 so I had to pull the trigger and make a decision on one of them. The RB's, for those of you keeping score at home, were DMC - CJ2k - Reggie Bush - Sproles. Being that this league is only .5 PPR helped make my decision, otherwise Sproles probably would have been the guy.

In round 4 I think I got a straight up steal with Fitzgerald. Not long ago he was an early 2nd rounder. Understandable he has slipped but the offensive philosophy of Bruce Arians is going to help and Carson Palmer may be bad but he has to be better than what Arizona has had at QB.

I am mildly surprised that Amendola lasted as long as he did, unless everyone was thinking like me that this is only .5 PPR and he loses some relative value. Welker has Black and Decker to compete with for looks from Manning while Amendola has a pair of Tight Ends (all be them great ones).

through this point my team does need a little luck with health (DMC, Amendola) and bounce back years (DMC, Fitz) but i'm otherwise quite pleased.

QB is incredibly deep and after the top maybe 4 tight ends, i'm fine with any of the next 10-15 so i'll add Antonio Brown here in the absence of Mike Wallace. It's a 4th WR but our rules allow 4 starters.

more thoughts through 6 rounds

Favorite picks

Ray Rice at 1.10 for BufordT - steal

S-Jax at 2.11 for Connorsdad - good feeling this year

Percy Harvin 3.04 Ralphster - injury risk but nice value

Sproles 4.05 CStriker - only .5 PPR hurts slightly but very nice grab

James Jones 5.06 - Mullmaniacs - i think maybe the #1 in GB. lets see

Least Favorite Picks

Rodgers at 1.09 for Polecats - QB too deep this season and in this scoring system, too early IMO

Brees at 1.12 for Throttlers - again not with the early QB's. personal preference

Brady 3.01 for Giraldi - even to kick off the 3rd i simply don't like a QB this early

David Wilson at 3.08 cstriker - just a bit too early i think. has competition

Favorite Teams

Connorsdad

Greentd

bufordt

more thoughts through 6 rounds

Favorite picks

Ray Rice at 1.10 for BufordT - steal

S-Jax at 2.11 for Connorsdad - good feeling this year

Percy Harvin 3.04 Ralphster - injury risk but nice value

Sproles 4.05 CStriker - only .5 PPR hurts slightly but very nice grab

James Jones 5.06 - Mullmaniacs - i think maybe the #1 in GB. lets see

Least Favorite Picks

Rodgers at 1.09 for Polecats - QB too deep this season and in this scoring system, too early IMO

Brees at 1.12 for Throttlers - a trend perhaps?

Brady 3.01 for Giraldi - even to kick off the 3rd i simply don't like a QB this early

David Wilson at 3.08 cstriker - just a bit too early i think. has competition

Favorite Teams

Connorsdad

Greentd

bufordt

Taking Brees had nothing to do with a trend. He was my highest graded player left. I definitely understand the opinions against this pick. I used to be very anti-qb in the early rounds, but times have changed. More and more, I see teams with the top QB's winning. I am a firm believer in taking players with a high floor early, and Brees has an extremely high floor. I had a choice to draft some questionable guys from the tail end of the RB1s or get arguably the safest QB pick in the top tier. I could have gone WR/WR, but I ended up with V-Jax in the 3rd who is probably close to as good as the WRs I could have gotten in the 2nd. Who would you have chosen at the 12 spot and why?

Taking Brees had nothing to do with a trend. He was my highest graded player left. I definitely understand the opinions against this pick. I used to be very anti-qb in the early rounds, but times have changed. More and more, I see teams with the top QB's winning. I am a firm believer in taking players with a high floor early, and Brees has an extremely high floor. I had a choice to draft some questionable guys from the tail end of the RB1s or get arguably the safest QB pick in the top tier. I could have gone WR/WR, but I ended up with V-Jax in the 3rd who is probably close to as good as the WRs I could have gotten in the 2nd. Who would you have chosen at the 12 spot and why?

i meant a trend in my "least favorite picks" being early QB's. sorry for the confusion

best rated RB or WR. probably RB if you already went WR with the other turn pick. not so much a certain player as it is a certain position for me. If i wanted to take a QB early and Rodgers was gone, i'd likely take Brees. Could even argue for Brees over Rodgers with Payton back on the sideline.

but thats the beauty of a mock